Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Rate S8E1: Deep Breath
FANTASTIC!
19%
 19% [ 6 ]
Good!
44%
 44% [ 14 ]
Okay...
25%
 25% [ 8 ]
Bad
12%
 12% [ 4 ]
AWFUL!
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

AuthorMessage
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:18 pm

That's... not at all what I said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixletwin

Number of posts : 2670
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:06 pm

Chuzzlewit wrote:
TinDogRory wrote:
I can't imagine what you saw was not a rough cut if it was black and white.

All Hartnell and Troughton are Black and White but are not rough cuts. They are all Masterpieces!

The episode in question was not filmed in the 1960's, nor did it star Hartnell/Troughton. Nor is it directed by Waris Hussein or Douglas Camfield. The leaked episode is not intended to be for public consumption.

I also realize you might have been kidding. But I can't tell.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:15 pm

TinDogRory was not talking about black and white stories, Chuzz, he was talking about the fact that drafts of episodes, such as this one, are rendered in black and white by the BBC. The leaked version of this episode is indeed a black and white 'rough cut' draft.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chuzzlewit

Number of posts : 3858
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:42 pm

pixletwin wrote:
Chuzzlewit wrote:
TinDogRory wrote:
I can't imagine what you saw was not a rough cut if it was black and white.

All Hartnell and Troughton are Black and White but are not rough cuts. They are all Masterpieces!

The episode in question was not filmed in the 1960's, nor did it star Hartnell/Troughton. Nor is it directed by Waris Hussein or Douglas Camfield. The leaked episode is not intended to be for public consumption.

I also realize you might have been kidding. But I can't tell.

Oh, yes, just kidding! And, reminding all how great those were!

Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chuzzlewit

Number of posts : 3858
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Scary wrote:
TinDogRory was not talking about black and white stories, Chuzz, he was talking about the fact that drafts of episodes, such as this one, are rendered in black and white by the BBC. The leaked version of this episode is indeed a black and white 'rough cut' draft.

I understand. We're waiting to see the new episode complete after it's been officially broadcast at our house. But, we watch Hartnell and Troughton stuff at least twice a week or more!

cheers 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SJA

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:15 pm

Chuzzlewit wrote:
Scary wrote:

I understand. We're waiting to see the new episode complete after it's been officially broadcast at our house. But, we watch Hartnell and Troughton stuff at least twice a week or more!

cheers 

Even with the watermarks and oddity's like in one scene you can see a production lorry in the distance it was wonderfully enjoyable and it felt quite special getting to see something that your not supposed to see. Now I am even more excited to see the finished product!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fatsal

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2014-07-10

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:07 pm

From a spoiler-free review at Den of Geek

Spoiler:

Color me excited!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:00 pm

That is promising!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:00 pm

Great trailer! But I can't tell the difference between the previous TARDIS console room and this one though... Doesn't look like he's redecorated at all. bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:22 pm

Darker maybe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ianotimelord

Number of posts : 1447
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:00 am

At the Cinema screening of Deep Breath in Leicester Square, Peter Capaldi, Jenna Coleman and Steven Moffat will be present at the cinema and will take part in the Q&A session afterwards which will be hosted by Zoe Ball and streamed live to participating cinemas in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

As well as the exclusive Q&A session, will also feature a never before seen 5 minute video of an upcoming DVD release and a special 10 minute behind the scenes footage of Deep Breath.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com/
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:59 am

It seams that this fan made opening title has inspired the real opening titles. Some say it is nearly identical.

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2014/08/new-title-sequence-is-fan-inspired.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5984
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:05 am

*gasp*.....

That's amazing...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben C.

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2014-07-24

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:21 am

Ronpur wrote:
It seams that this fan made opening title has inspired the real opening titles. Some say it is nearly identical.
They are very similar, but also different. The main similarities are the clockwork intro and the TARDIS hurtling through the spiraling clockface vortex. After that it's a bit different in an equally good way. And there's no Capaldi face on a pocketwatch in the real intro... they handled that a little better (IMO) in the real opening sequence Smile

Should also note that the opening sequence music is different for the new season, and I'm not sure I'm bonding with it. Then again, I need to hear it 'for real' through my rig, and not via a leaked cellphone cam recording!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:50 am

Only about three hours to go now! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:45 pm

Five hours to go here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:55 pm

Watching it right now, but had to pop in to comment on presently my favorite line...

Spoiler:

Very Happy

EDIT:

And I've watched it. SPOILERS AHOY!

Overall, I found it a solid opener. Not as solid as The Eleventh Hour, but overall a decent tale in its own right. Capaldi hit the ground running as the Doctor and I'm a bit heartbroken about the news that Jenna will be leaving now...she as Capaldi had some amazing chemistry.

Vastra, Jenny, and Strax I just can't warm to. I appreciate them for what Moffat's trying to do - world build the Doctor's universe - but there's really been far too much of them.

The Monster of the Week...liked that call back. Mostly because I really dug the clockwork robots the first time around, and this re-imagining of them was really well done (as still sufficiently creepy).

As for the mysterious stranger at the end...I could wish Moffat wasn't so enamored with mysterious women who are keen on the Doctor that tend to vanish from the plot when he's done with them (Madam Kavora, the High Priestess), but Missy's got...something. The internal jury is still out as to whether or not this is a new incarnation of the Rani, the Master (Because the Master - especially his last incarnation - has the twisted sense of humor to call the Doctor a "boyfriend"), or someone brand new entirely.

All I do know is even with that brief glimpse of her at the end (Also glad to see the Captain will likely turn up again as a lackey), I cannot wait to see her interact with Capaldi. It should be extremely fun.

All in all, I'm jazzed for next week. Great to have Who back.

Last edited by Rust on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Enjoyed this episode! Great way to return and probably the best introduction for a NuWho Doctor since 'Rose'.

It's a great mix between fun and a darker tone, which makes sense as this is apparently the 'transition' episode between Smith's era of childishness and Capaldi's new era of real Doctor Who. Wink The lighting, the scenes, the drama is all much more serious and darker in atmosphere and tone and I love that. At the same time, we had a few scenes of comic relief from Strax (LOVED that scene with him, Clara and the newspaper in the window Razz ). The Doctor also has some funny one liners amongst his post-regeneration high, too.

The 12th Doctor is great. I really like that he was willing to kill the android leader. Clearly we have a, for lack of a better and non-overused word, darker Doctor here. He's willing to do anything to protect the innocent. That's really going to be interesting. Of course, it's hard to put our finger on his personality just yet, especially considering the first chunk of this episode is him still in his post-regeneration madness, but it's fair to say that he's going to be very straight forward, very alien, take little nonsense, far more serious than the 11th, and most importantly more like a Classic Doctor. Clara might have a hard time looking at him and seeing the Doctor but personally when I look at him that's all that I can see. I am really pleased with Capaldi as the Doctor and really can't wait to see the rest of the series! Very Happy

Clara actually has character in this story! She's stroppy and moody and selfish, which sounds pretty bad but to be honest, I wouldn't mind if she was filled with hatred and desire for homicide; anything is better than her characterless-ness of Series 7... I love that she is clearly representing all the weeping fangirls who screamed "HE'S TOO OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" with horror when Capaldi was announced. "Clara, I'm not your boyfriend." In that one line, NuWho solved its biggest problem.

Spoiler:

The villains were interesting - great to see the Clockwork robots back again! They were a great analogy of the regeneration cycle. "You're a broom. Take a broom and replace the broom handle, then later replace the brush, and keep doing that over and over. Is it the same broom? No of course it isn't, but it can still sweep the floor. You probably don't even remember where you got that face from." He's very, very different, but he's still the Doctor. Also, the robots in the restaurant reminded me of the scene in the pub in 'The Android Invasion'.

And finally, Strax. He was hilarious as usual. Particular loved the scene where...

Spoiler:

My only complaints would be that at times Moffat is using Doctor Who for his own political/social agenda, and also the dinosaur was in the episode for like 10 minutes despite it being made to seem like a big part of the story by the trailer. I was looking forward to the dinosaur. The scenes we did get, such as the Doctor translating it, were very emotional, so I was looking forward to seeing where that was going... Only for it be burnt to a cinder just seconds later.

All in all, a great episode. Does it beat 'Rose' or 'The Christmas Invasion' as the best intro for a new NuWho Doctor? Very nearly. I think 'Deep Breath' is definitely more clever in the way that it's written but I think I still enjoy the 9th and 10th's intros a bit more, possibly due to nostalgia. Nonetheless, needless to say that I really enjoyed this story. I voted 'Good' on the poll, and I think it deserves a solid 8/10. Very Happy

Bring on the Daleks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:01 pm

Quote :

also the dinosaur was in the episode for like 10 minutes despite it being made to seem like a big part of the story by the trailer. I was looking forward to the dinosaur. The scenes we did get, such as the Doctor translating it, were very emotional, so I was looking forward to seeing where that was going... Only for it be burnt to a cinder just seconds later.

But I think it's worth noting, the Doctor's first words when arriving on the scene are: "Sorry. I'm sorry. Sorry."

He mourned a Dinosaur. I think that's a great bit of character development for a new Doctor.

Also, I loved his pouring drinks for he and the Captain. I got a serious sense of Pertwee coming to the fore there, but married with the post-Time War Revival Doctor. I could almost hear Pertwee saying "I'm afraid I might have to kill you. But I thought you might like a drink first...I know I could use one."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:27 pm

I thought this episode was decent, but certainly not the best. I really enjoyed the bits with Peter Capaldi where we get to know his Doctor, but the rest of it, aside from Strax, was meh. I'm tired of Steven Moffat's writing, Jenna Louise Coleman can't act, and the political thing is annoying. I want Doctor Who to be relevant in and of itself, not bother with any of that stuff. Overall this episode was somewhat of a let-down, and I hope "Into the Dalek" is much better. And, can we please have the episodes be more spontaneous (Nothing like Nightmare in Silver though)? They're really overusing these season-long story-arcs, one of which was clearly started for this season at the very end of the episode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:33 pm

Very much influenced by Spearhead from Space I feel (Doctor explodes from the TARDIS and faints shortly thereafter, Doctor involved in plot about artificial beings taking over humans, hangs out with some friends we got to know during the last regeneration). Liked it a lot, BBCA's ads did chip away at the episode's pacing, though.

Capaldi's Doctor is excellent. A very classic feeling Doctor, cut from the cloth of Hartnell, Pertwee and Baker with the sort of "Naughty Doctor" bits people were memeing from Capaldi's hiring. It'll be great to see him evolve over the season.

Clara really gelled this episode. We really got a character out of her and I'm glad this episode was a vehicle for her and the Paternoster gang as much as the new Doctor. It seems like Moffat took a lot of criticisms to heart about Clara's character - or lack thereof.

Vastra and Jenny felt stronger, too. Strax is Strax and Strax is great. The hanging silk gag got a chuckle out of me.

Plot wise this was a lot tamer than a lot of recent Moffat episodes. Liked the nod to previous episodes and the scene at the end with Clara and Capaldi really felt lifted from the RTD era. Beautiful. Not sure how I feel about Missy. Could be fun. Feels like a Time Lord.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jackknight

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2011-10-08

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:50 pm

Once he stopped being Regeneration nutty, I really liked Capaldi's more serious take on The Doctor. Especially the whole deal with him not being Clara's boyfriend. Had to laugh when he left her to die. His seen with the main Clockwork Man toward the end was also great. Really liked seeing them return as well.

Hated the opening however. Usual dumb "comedy" from Moffat with a dinosaur spitting out the TARDIS. Could've done without the T-Rex and the Scooby Gang altogether to be honest. I wasn't a fan of Smith's run and that sort of silliness was a big part of it.

Also got the feeling that a lot of Clara's character this episode was Moffat reacting to the whole Who fangirl drama about Capaldi being too old for the part. And Smith's inclusion was just an attempt at telling them "Capaldi is cool."

Overall though I enjoyed the episode. Mostly for Capaldi's performance and the Clockwork Men. Look forward to seeing the rest of his first season. Hopefully it'll have less dinosaur spitting up the TARDIS type moments.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://CriticalMess.net
D84

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2012-08-03

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:02 am

The whole thing with Clara not being able to handle the regeneration made no sense. She's the only companion who has known all the Doctors.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SJA

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:46 am

D84 wrote:
The whole thing with Clara not being able to handle the regeneration made no sense.  She's the only companion who has known all the Doctors.

I agree...

I did LOVE the stab at the fans bitching about him being older haha
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:02 am

D84 wrote:
The whole thing with Clara not being able to handle the regeneration made no sense.  She's the only companion who has known all the Doctors.

Clara was being used as the mouth piece for the fandom that complained about Capaldi's casting because he is older and "not sexy".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Today at 10:42 am

Back to top Go down

S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: