Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Rate S8E1: Deep Breath
FANTASTIC!
19%
 19% [ 6 ]
Good!
44%
 44% [ 14 ]
Okay...
25%
 25% [ 8 ]
Bad
12%
 12% [ 4 ]
AWFUL!
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 32

AuthorMessage
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:39 am

TinDogRory wrote:
Hey, he was apparently half-human one time. ;-)

... on his mother's side... Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:02 am

No gender swaps for the Doctor, Master, Rani, River or anyone else, please... No
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:19 pm

the dinosaur fell asleep smoking a cigarette. its a psa against the dangers of smoking!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:23 pm

An observation I had at work...

Missy is the slang term (and one often used disparagingly on the recipient) for Mistress...which is the feminine form of the title Master.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SJA

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:50 pm

The word "Rani" means "Queen" or "Mistress" in Hindi.

The Tetraps called the Rani "Mistress" in Time and the Rani.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:52 pm

Big Finish are using the Rani in an audio story a few months down the line. In the past they've removed the Master from stories when he was set to appear on TV. (Hollows of Time in particular.) I don't think Rani is likely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixletwin

Number of posts : 2670
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:59 pm

Good. I liked it. I am glad the regeneration episode is out of the way and we can get down to business.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:49 pm

That look Capaldi gives to the camera after the "did he fall or was he pushed" moment was FANTASTIC! If he can play The Doctor based on that look alone then we are in for a real treat!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fatsal

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2014-07-10

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Mon Aug 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Just Scott wrote:
That look Capaldi gives to the camera after the "did he fall or was he pushed" moment was FANTASTIC! If he can play The Doctor based on that look alone then we are in for a real treat!

THIS! ^^^

Capaldi can do so much with a look it's not even funny. There was another quick facial expression I loved in the scene when he and Clara are in the booth at the restaurant. When they discover that neither of them sent the newspaper advert, the flash of intrigue on his face is so awesome. I think we're in for something special with this Doctor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:46 pm

I don't know if it means anything but I found it neat. you can hear the cloister bell as the doctor collapses at the beginning of the episode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:17 pm

Rust wrote:
Also, the thing about the T-Rex that bugged me was how little it bothered Victorian era Londoners. I'm sorry, these are the folks that rioted when the first top hat was introduced to the public. Yet in Doctor Who, they seem to get abnormally dumped on when it comes to the strange and bizarre, to the point even Madam Vastra is getting free and loose with her veil. I mean, at least with The Talons of Weing-Chiang they kept the strange hidden from public view.

Another reason why the show should give the Victorian era a rest. Who Victorian London is getting as blase about weirdness as Marvel New York is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:32 am

fatsal wrote:
I think we're in for something special with this Doctor.

No doubt about it. Personally, I always had a problem seeing Matt Smith as the Doctor, but when I look at Capaldi that's all I can see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SJA

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:53 am

Scary wrote:
fatsal wrote:
I think we're in for something special with this Doctor.

No doubt about it. Personally, I always had a problem seeing Matt Smith as the Doctor, but when I look at Capaldi that's all I can see.

Wait until you see episode 3 and 5 he is by far an amazing doctor and brings a gravity that Smith and Tennant could not bring.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2730
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:35 am

Missy could possibly be...

Marie Antoinette's brain in a Clockwork robot, or The Rani.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:59 am

Rust wrote:

Also is anyone else curious what exactly the restaurant's children's menu was?

I thought it was a reference to the hands on the seat restraints. They were child sized hands and I assumed they came from kids that were on the kids menu.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ben C.

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2014-07-24

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:13 am

Ronpur wrote:
Rust wrote:

Also is anyone else curious what exactly the restaurant's children's menu was?

I thought it was a reference to the hands on the seat restraints.  They were child sized hands and I assumed they came from kids that were on the kids menu.

The seat restraints were metal, with hand shaped clasps.

I thought the line was pretty clear in its meaning: they have a children's menu because they accept 'parts' from children. So they do have a menu of things they need / take from them. In addition to the adult menu. It freaked out my 9 year old who threw me a big grin as she thought about the droids specifically harvesting children for parts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:23 pm

Talked about this episode on the Fuzzy Typewriter podcast (Plug!) and thought of a few more things.

Capaldi goes positively Tom Baker when he says "Standing catnaps." He slips into a kind of Tennant-y voice when he says "Doors are boring" and he embodies Smith throughout the first 10 minutes of the episode. It's really nice to see a new regeneration sift through the different, previous incarnations to try and find himself. Something I wish other Doctors did before hand.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2155
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:45 pm

Not the best start ever, but I still have hope for the new Doctor. Much, much better than "Fear Her" but it was no "Caves of Androzoni". Didn't much care for Clara being so anti-Capaldi. Of all the Doctor/companion regenerations it would seem odd that this was the most rough transition. Even Peri took things better and the Doctor tried to strangle her. But I can see what the writer wanted to address and you have to wonder why none of the other companions ever had issues.
The new clockwork droids looked cool, Strax always adds some humor (although it would be nice for Clara to be shocked at meeting some real Sontarans).
But it was an unlikeable Doctor slowly getting better. Was Moffat shooting to re-make "The Twin Dilemma" only not so sucky? Once I've seen the whole season maybe I'll like Capaldi even more. I certainly liked him more at the very end of "Deep Breath", but really wasn't liking him during the first half.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixletwin

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:55 pm

I agree with how yo felt about Clara. Her difficulty in accepting the new Doctor made no sense. She had dealings with every Doctor. It made her character seem shallow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:02 pm

The Clara since "Bells of St. John" till now has only meet Eleven, Ten and War. She saw the other faces of the Doctor while trapped in the Doctor's time stream. Some shade/sliver of Clara was projected throughout the Doctor's time stream to warn him of the Great Intelligence's intrusion on his time stream. Those shades are distinctly not Clara (some go by different names) and she does not appear to retain any knowledge of their lives.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixletwin

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:10 pm

Ah indeed. Good point. For some reason I was under the impression that she retained the memory of the her previous encounters.. but now that I think of it, Clara had no idea about Victorian Clara and Oswin so why should she remember all the other lives?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:14 pm

TinDogRory wrote:
The Clara since "Bells of St. John" till now has only meet Eleven, Ten and War. She saw the other faces of the Doctor while trapped in the Doctor's time stream. Some shade/sliver of Clara was projected throughout the Doctor's time stream to warn him of the Great Intelligence's intrusion on his time stream.  Those shades are distinctly not Clara (some go by different names) and she does not appear to retain any knowledge of their lives.

Yeah, for example, the Clara that met the 1st Doctor is not this Clara. They were copies of her; they were the same person but they weren't. So I have no problem with how Clara reacted, and honestly I think it was a great way of dealing with all the sobbing 13 year old girls who genuinely had a big problem with Capaldi being older. I think it was a nice and effective dig at them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:32 pm

I took away Clara's concerns more because the Doctor just regenerated...but he was still old. Having just come away from a Doctor who was dying of advanced age, it makes sense that would distress her a bit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SJA

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:36 pm

Scary wrote:
TinDogRory wrote:
The Clara since "Bells of St. John" till now has only meet Eleven, Ten and War. She saw the other faces of the Doctor while trapped in the Doctor's time stream. Some shade/sliver of Clara was projected throughout the Doctor's time stream to warn him of the Great Intelligence's intrusion on his time stream.  Those shades are distinctly not Clara (some go by different names) and she does not appear to retain any knowledge of their lives.

Yeah, for example, the Clara that met the 1st Doctor is not this Clara. They were copies of her; they were the same person but they weren't. So I have no problem with how Clara reacted, and honestly I think it was a great way of dealing with all the sobbing 13 year old girls who genuinely had a big problem with Capaldi being older. I think it was a nice and effective dig at them.

The dig was great!!!

Vastra) He looked young, who do you think that was for?

Clara ) Me?

Vastra) Everyone! I ware a veil as he wore a face, for the same reason.

Clara) What reason?

Vastra) The oldest reason there is for anything, to be accepted.

A few scenes and lines later....

Vastra) I ware a veil to keep from view what many are pleased to call my disfigurement. I do not ware it as a curiosity to such people, but as a judgment on the quality of their hearts.

Clara) Are you judging me?

Vastra) The doctor regenerated in your presence, the young man disappeared, the veil lifted, he trusted you! Are you judging him?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:40 am

Saw this in the theater over the weekend. Strax's intro to all the Doctors was amazing. I hope it makes it onto a Blu Ray somewhere.

As for the episode, I thought it was great. Not 100% perfect, but I thought it was a great intro to a fantastic Doctor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)   Today at 10:16 pm

Back to top Go down

S8E1: Deep Breath (SPOILERS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: