Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 
 

 S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Rate S7E16: The Time of the Doctor
AMAZING!!
16%
 16% [ 7 ]
Good!
36%
 36% [ 16 ]
Okay...
24%
 24% [ 11 ]
Crap!
4%
 4% [ 2 ]
AWFUL!!
20%
 20% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 45
 

AuthorMessage
thebreen
RANK: Prime Minister


Number of posts : 797
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:28 pm

jonwes wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
Her being River never occurred to me either.  And that is after a couple repeats.  

What was in the box Tasha gave him?  I want to think Jelly Babies!

They were marshmallows! That's his source for getting the marshmallows that he and Clara roasted earlier. He mentioned then that the pink ones were best. Smile

As for Tasha Lem is River theory, I guess Lem is "Mel" spelled backward! LOL.

OOOH! Why didn't I think of that! I was racking my brain trying to figure out if there was a clue in the name!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thebreen
RANK: Prime Minister


Number of posts : 797
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Was there an explanation given as to why the Doctor never used his Tardis to evacuate (or at least shelter) the townspeople, like he did for Clara?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes
RANK: Time Lord, Gold Usher


Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:14 pm

Not sure about the sheltering bit, but he couldn't just evacuate the planet. He was trying to prevent them from destroying the planet and trapping the Time Lords, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmlextreme
RANK: Prime Minister


Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:36 pm

So he just happens to have the seal given to the master by the timelords in the 5 doctors???, yes i know his pockets are bigger on the inside but he is carrying a seal taken by the 3rd dr in the episode?  So his pocket lint is transferable from regeneration to regeneration.  His dry cleaner must hate him lol.

Coming soon the BBC America: timelord hoarders


Name of roses area was the Powell Estate i think
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rocco
RANK: Brigadier


Number of posts : 313
Age : 20
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Calixar wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
What was in the box Tasha gave him?  I want to think Jelly Babies!

That's what I was thinking... especially when he asked about the colors.

Guys, it was marshmallows.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1557
Age : 33
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:45 pm

rmlextreme wrote:
So he just happens to have the seal given to the master by the timelords in the 5 doctors???, yes i know his pockets are bigger on the inside but he is carrying a seal taken by the 3rd dr in the episode?  So his pocket lint is transferable from regeneration to regeneration.  His dry cleaner must hate him lol.

I can easily see him scrounging around for it after the events of Day of the Doctor and keeping it handy. It is one of the few things of absolute Gallifreyian origin he can be certain of. Given the nature of his quest, it makes sense he'd keep something as a point of reference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary
RANK: Time Lord President


Number of posts : 7476
Age : 19
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:02 pm



These are fair points but... Who's to say the grave belongs to the 11th Doctor? And even if it does, I guess time was just rewritten; the 11th Doctor originally DID die on Trenzalore, but the Time Lords rewrote events by giving him a new life cycle.

Anyway, I'm rewatching the episode right now. I understand it a bit better now, but I'm still left with the question of why do the Time Lords need the Doctor to reveal his name in order to bring Gallifrey back? How does that work?

Oh, and by the way, the fact that the Doctor's "biggest fear" from The God Complex is the crack in time really peeves me off. I mean... Really? That's his biggest fear? I was expecting the War Doctor, the Daleks or the actual Time War or something. And anyway, didn't we hear the TARDIS cloister bell when he opened the door in The God Complex? Why then is it a crack in time that was behind the door and not something that was in the TARDIS?


Last edited by Scary on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3948
Age : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:03 pm

Scary wrote:


These are fair points but... Who's to say the grave belongs to the 11th Doctor? And even if it does, I guess time was just rewritten; the 11th Doctor originally DID die on Trenzalore, but the Time Lords rewrote events by giving him a new life cycle.

Anyway, I'm rewatching the episode right now. I understand it a bit better now, but I'm still left with the question of why do the Time Lords need the Doctor to reveal his name in order to bring Gallifrey back? How does that work?

I thought it was so he they could know it was really him and establish the link to our universe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary
RANK: Time Lord President


Number of posts : 7476
Age : 19
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:10 pm

timewarrior wrote:
I thought it was so he they could know it was really him and establish the link to our universe.  

Why do they need to know the Doctor is there in order to come back though?  scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3948
Age : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:12 pm

Scary wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
I thought it was so he they could know it was really him and establish the link to our universe.  

Why do they need to know the Doctor is there in order to come back though?  scratch

Because they trust him?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary
RANK: Time Lord President


Number of posts : 7476
Age : 19
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:13 pm

timewarrior wrote:
Scary wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
I thought it was so he they could know it was really him and establish the link to our universe.  

Why do they need to know the Doctor is there in order to come back though?  scratch

Because they trust him?  

To do what? What danger are they in if he's not there?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3948
Age : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:14 pm

Scary wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
Scary wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
I thought it was so he they could know it was really him and establish the link to our universe.  

Why do they need to know the Doctor is there in order to come back though?  scratch

Because they trust him?  

To do what? What danger are they in if he's not there?

They could accidently set their vcrs to the wrong time. . .I guess it's dangerous to cross into the universe and they wan to make sure its safe to do so. . .otherwise, they'd be neck deep in daleks. . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary
RANK: Time Lord President


Number of posts : 7476
Age : 19
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:25 pm

timewarrior wrote:
Scary wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
Scary wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
I thought it was so he they could know it was really him and establish the link to our universe.  

Why do they need to know the Doctor is there in order to come back though?  scratch

Because they trust him?  

To do what? What danger are they in if he's not there?

They could accidently set their vcrs to the wrong time. . .I guess it's dangerous to cross into the universe and they wan to make sure its safe to do so. . .otherwise, they'd be neck deep in daleks. . .

Haha! Razz

Hmm, I guess so. But I don't think they would exactly be threatened. They put up a good enough fight in the Time War, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to face everyone again. I guess you could say they don't want to come back through yet because they're worried another war will begin, so they want to know the Doctor is there to help/protect them. But what exactly can the Doctor do now that he couldn't in the Time War? If he couldn't stop the Time War, how is he going to stop an equally massive 'Second Time War'?

Another thing: how did the Time Lords send the Doctor a new life cycle through the crack when they're supposed to be frozen in suspended animation?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KIRKESS
RANK: UNIT Sergeant


Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:25 pm

It seems to me there is a power struggle on Gallifry. First they blow up the TARDIS to create a crack. Then they recycle the Doctor's regeneration abilities (aka the offer that was made to the Master in The Five Doctors.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wes Crayon
RANK: Prime Minister


Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:28 pm

thebreen wrote:
jonwes wrote:
But I just thought it was Moffat falling back onto a similar character. Huh.

That might be partly why I'm so eager to believe she's River... otherwise, it is just Moffat regurgitating a character concept, and that would be rather disappointing.

Right, because Moffat never does that. Don't ever watch Sherlock. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
Scary
RANK: Time Lord President


Number of posts : 7476
Age : 19
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:34 pm

KIRKESS wrote:
It seems to me there is a power struggle on Gallifry. First they blow up the TARDIS to create a crack. Then they recycle the Doctor's regeneration abilities (aka the offer that was made to the Master in The Five Doctors.  

Tasha Lem said that it was Kovarian and the Silence Church People Thingy that blew up his TARDIS in an attempt to stop the Doctor from getting to Trenzalore to reveal his name and therefore to bring Gallifrey back. The Time Lords are merely using those cracks to get back through because they are weak points and they wish to exploit them. The question now is, as I said, why do the Time Lords need the Doctor's name in order to come back to our universe?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3948
Age : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Scary wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
Scary wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
Scary wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
I thought it was so he they could know it was really him and establish the link to our universe.  

Why do they need to know the Doctor is there in order to come back though?  scratch

Because they trust him?  

To do what? What danger are they in if he's not there?

They could accidently set their vcrs to the wrong time. . .I guess it's dangerous to cross into the universe and they wan to make sure its safe to do so. . .otherwise, they'd be neck deep in daleks. . .

Haha! Razz

Hmm, I guess so. But I don't think they would exactly be threatened. They put up a good enough fight in the Time War, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to face everyone again. I guess you could say they don't want to come back through yet because they're worried another war will begin, so they want to know the Doctor is there to help/protect them. But what exactly can the Doctor do now that he couldn't in the Time War? If he couldn't stop the Time War, how is he going to stop an equally massive 'Second Time War'?

Another thing: how did the Time Lords send the Doctor a new life cycle through the crack when they're supposed to be frozen in suspended animation?

perhaps they don't want to get sucker punched as soon as they enter the universe? the doctor could have garnered their safe entrance into the universe. . .they are frozen in their own universe. . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3948
Age : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:36 pm

Scary wrote:
KIRKESS wrote:
It seems to me there is a power struggle on Gallifry. First they blow up the TARDIS to create a crack. Then they recycle the Doctor's regeneration abilities (aka the offer that was made to the Master in The Five Doctors.  

Tasha Lem said that it was Kovarian and the Silence Church People Thingy that blew up his TARDIS in an attempt to stop the Doctor from getting to Trenzalore to reveal his name and therefore to bring Gallifrey back. The Time Lords are merely using those cracks to get back through because they are weak points and they wish to exploit them. The question now is, as I said, why do the Time Lords need the Doctor's name in order to come back to our universe?

Because they don't want to get jumped as soon as they enter the universe. duh. . .if you knew you were going to get hit in the head and kicked in the groin if you went into a place. . .would you still go?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1356
Age : 30
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:38 pm

It's still possible that Trenzalore is the Doctor's final resting place some point in the offing. He's supposed to have "lead millions into battle." This did not happen in the episode.

As well, the Time Lords have no idea if 1) The Time War ended with their disappearance and 2) If the Doctor is still alive. It's also possible the Crack was able to "break" the stasis field in the same way it could erase Rory, transport the Vampires, etc.


Last edited by TinDogRory on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3948
Age : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:40 pm

TinDogRory wrote:
It's still possible that Trenzalore is the Doctor's final resting place some point in the offing. He's supposed to have "lead millions into battle." This did not happen in the episode.

also how does that explain the curator in the day of the doctor?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1356
Age : 30
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:43 pm

timewarrior wrote:
TinDogRory wrote:
It's still possible that Trenzalore is the Doctor's final resting place some point in the offing. He's supposed to have "lead millions into battle." This did not happen in the episode.

also how does that explain the curator in the day of the doctor?  

Future Doctor (As now there are 26 possible regenerations) before the Doctor's death at Trenzalore. I still think it's a Time Differential-ed Fourth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3948
Age : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:44 pm

TinDogRory wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
TinDogRory wrote:
It's still possible that Trenzalore is the Doctor's final resting place some point in the offing. He's supposed to have "lead millions into battle." This did not happen in the episode.

also how does that explain the curator in the day of the doctor?  

Future Doctor (As now there are 26 possible regenerations) before the Doctor's death at Trenzalore. I still think it's a Time Differential-ed Fourth.

Let's face it. . .this show could go on until the end of civilization. . .so the doctor will be running around until is 200th anniversary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1356
Age : 30
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Of course. I don't think I contested that. But the dialogue does say "New Cycle" of Regenerations, so Moffat is still giving it a limit, even if it's not likely we'll get there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary
RANK: Time Lord President


Number of posts : 7476
Age : 19
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:55 pm

timewarrior wrote:
perhaps they don't want to get sucker punched as soon as they enter the universe? the doctor could have garnered their safe entrance into the universe. . .they are frozen in their own universe. . .

Yes, but what can the Doctor do to protect them? He couldn't protect Gallifrey in the Time War, why should he be able to in this Second Time War? In fact, he was SO unable to protect Gallifrey that he felt the only way to stop everything was to blow the whole planet up!

TinDogRory wrote:
As well, the Time Lords have no idea if 1) The Time War ended with their disappearance and 2) If the Doctor is still alive.

They do know that the Doctor is still alive, otherwise they wouldn't have sent the new life-cycle through the crack, they wouldn't have sent out the emergency "Doctor Who?" distress signal, and they wouldn't have tried to get him to say his name on Trenzalore to bring Gallifrey back (somehow).

TinDogRory wrote:
Future Doctor (As now there are 26 possible regenerations) before the Doctor's death at Trenzalore. I still think it's a Time Differential-ed Fourth.

I inferred from the line "You'll find yourself revisiting a few [faces], too" to mean that the Curator is indeed a future regeneration, not the 4th Doctor but another copy of his body.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3948
Age : 38
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:58 pm

Scary wrote:
timewarrior wrote:
perhaps they don't want to get sucker punched as soon as they enter the universe?   the doctor could have garnered their safe entrance into the universe. . .they are frozen in their own universe. . .

Yes, but what can the Doctor do to protect them? He couldn't protect Gallifrey in the Time War, why should he be able to in this Second Time War? In fact, he was SO unable to protect Gallifrey that he felt the only way to stop everything was to blow the whole planet up!

TinDogRory wrote:
As well, the Time Lords have no idea if 1) The Time War ended with their disappearance and 2) If the Doctor is still alive.

They do know that the Doctor is still alive, otherwise they wouldn't have sent the new life-cycle through the crack, they wouldn't have sent out the emergency "Doctor Who?" distress signal, and they wouldn't have tried to get him to say his name on Trenzalore to bring Gallifrey back (somehow).

TinDogRory wrote:
Future Doctor (As now there are 26 possible regenerations) before the Doctor's death at Trenzalore. I still think it's a Time Differential-ed Fourth.

I inferred from the line "You'll find yourself revisiting a few [faces], too" to mean that the Curator is indeed a future regeneration, not the 4th Doctor but another copy of his body.

Because the doctor is the man! the only timelord that can get anything done. . .sheesh!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Today at 10:38 am

Back to top Go down
 
S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: