Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Rate S7E16: The Time of the Doctor
AMAZING!!
16%
 16% [ 7 ]
Good!
36%
 36% [ 16 ]
Okay...
24%
 24% [ 11 ]
Crap!
4%
 4% [ 2 ]
AWFUL!!
20%
 20% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 45

AuthorMessage
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:09 pm

Perhaps it is in that brief moment (oh) that they are repeating the message, trying to get the Doctor to release them. So, now with the new life cycle bestowed upon him, he will do just that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SJA

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:22 pm

I like the last line

"how do we fly this thing"

Dose that mean he wont know how to pilot the TARDIS again and end up in random fun places?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:59 pm

So...at the end, were Amy and the Doctor BOTH wearing wigs?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:29 pm

I've seen a lot of people talking about how it felt as though they were just trying to quick fit everything into one episode and it felt like too much. It was probably like that because Moffat expected this to go on longer and then Smith announced he was leaving and they had to wrap it up.

Overall I followed it along quite well, I enjoyed it very much. Handles was great. Cannot wait to see more from Capaldi.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stetsons_are_cool7

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:39 pm

It wasn't the worse Christmas special I've seen, but the writing could have been better in places. (Highlights include Handles, that comment about Matt's eyebrows) It was a shame that they brought back Amy, and she only ended up saying three words.

But Matt was superb, and that is all that matters in the end.

Good luck Mr Capaldi
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://creativecritic.blogspot.com/
The Gene Lantern

Number of posts : 1001
Registration date : 2013-07-03

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:30 am

A couple of nice screencaps I was able to take from my VLC player Smile

"Raggedy Man...Good Night."   Loved it; so great they were able to keep this a secret.

LOL...I don't know who looked more stunned Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scifijapan.com/forum/index.php
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:56 am

I voted good. I enjoyed the heck out of it but it's a big ol' mess. A lot information flys at you pretty fast. I said in another thread, it suffers from the same "Cram it into one episode" affect that much of Season 7, Part 1 had. (Power of Three and Angels Take Manhattan are totally two parters, but condensed into very sloppy single episodes).

As stated above by others, I think this episode suffers the most from Smith's departure. It seemed like this information was going to be given to us over a season. (Heck, a whole Trenzalore half-season wouldn't be beyond Moffat.) Instead, it's all crammed into this. Regeneration. Gallifrey. Trenzalore. Silence. Madame Kovarian. The Priests. Big Bang 2. Etc. Etc.

Indeed, I'd go so far as to say that we're saddled with this ending because of the Amy/Rory departure. As much as people were over them, this episode relies on a lot on elements previously established in their run that really have no bearing on Clara. As prominent as she is in the episode, she doesn't have a lot to do other than having a brilliant stroke of genius - which she just did a month ago! Smith probably should have been a "single" companion Doctor. As great as Clara is, I can't help but feeling all of this makes more sense with Amy.

Smith's Hartnell-esque turn was fun, but almost got in the way of ending. Surprised we have confirmation that Ten regenerated into himself, seems like a complication we didn't quite need.

I have to wonder if budgetary conditions prevented this from being a 75 minute episode. This episode needed breathing room. Even the Regeneration was off.

However, we have Capaldi. And he was great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior

Number of posts : 3946
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:56 am

I liked it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:06 am

I thought it was awful. Instead of formulating a clever if implausible plan to break the stalemate and cheat death -- the very thing Smith's Doctor excels at -- he sits on his duff for hundreds of years. After they make a big deal about the Doctor having no more regenerations, he gets a full new set because Clara claps her hands and wishes real hard on a star crack in the wall. And somehow that Christmas regeneration magic gives the Doctor the power to blow all of the Daleks away while leaving everyone else unharmed.

It was basically "The Parting of the Ways," only made into an uber boring fairy tale and given an even more ridiculous deus ex machina.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:28 am

SJA wrote:
I like the last line

"how do we fly this thing"

Dose that mean he wont know how to pilot the TARDIS again and end up in random fun places?

In all likelihood. It keeps the Time Lord plot going a bit longer, plus it's a cheeky little homage to the fact the first and second Doctors really couldn't fly the TARDIS.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:28 am

Moffat couldn't even leave the regeneration thing alone! He had to tinker about with that too!!

Was there really any need for the whole "rock star" arm swinging during the regeneration??

I hope Capaldi does a good job?! TBH, the shoes he has to fill were not really that big IMO!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:38 am

loved it. I was on the edge of my seat by the end. goodbye matt you will be missed bring on peter!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:47 am

Not sure what to say about this episode other than it seemed to take forever to end and the prolonged regeneration (which should have been completed in the tower) instead of giving him time to return to the TARDIS, get changed, have his goodbye to Clara and get his hallucinations of Amy/Amelia in.  Would have been nice to have more than three lines from Capaldi - loved the last line since Smith seemed to have no issues into his regeneration we are now back to having the normal issues with it (e.g., how to do fly this thing).  The positives were few - Handles (was that the person who voiced Mr. Smith on the Sarah Jane Adventures), the beginning scenes (could have done without a half-naked Smith) and welcome Capaldi (#14).

Well, Smith's era will be remembered as one with poor scripts (still haven't watched the Wardrobe Xmas special or the Clara and the kids adventure) and the companions overshadowing the Doctor.  What also didn't help is the pacing.  The episodes felt too rushed for 43 minutes.  More two parters are needed to slow things down and get the stories time to breath and develop.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thebreen

Number of posts : 797
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:14 am

I loved this episode. A unique ending.

Criticisms:
Way too much crammed into such a short amount of time. I would love to have seen the story expanded a bit... maybe allow for some more cohesive 'battle' scenes with the Doctors enemies (and maybe some friends somehow? Vastra? Jenny? Strax?... at least we got to see Dan Starkey!)

The regeneration retcon felt a bit randomly tacked on. I think it would have been cooler if he'd spent a regeneration during the centuries he was trapped on Trenzalore, fighting all his enemies. Yeah, that's right... a DOUBLE regeneration story! (Hmmm... a great cliffhanger for part ONE, if they'd expanded the story to 2 episodes!)

And did they ever come right out and say Tasha was River? I mean, the certainly dropped enough hints, so why not just have the Doctor call her by name? I keep wondering if there's a red herring there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:41 am

They never called Tasha River, and I don't really get how she could be River. Some people are saying maybe the Papal Mainframe could have evolved from the Library and maybe Tasha was somehow created by the Papal Mainframe and so on. But I think that's wild fan theory.

There's no reason to believe Tasha Lem is anything other than who she is in this story, which is a space nun in charge of a church that the Doctor knows well. It's true, she kind of fulfills the River Song role here, flirting with the Doctor and explaining certain things, but I don't think she's actually River. I think it's just Moffat falling back onto a character type.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thebreen

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:10 pm

jonwes wrote:
It's true, she kind of fulfills the River Song role here, flirting with the Doctor and explaining certain things, but I don't think she's actually River. I think it's just Moffat falling back onto a character type.

I disagree. We're clearly meant to at least THINK (or debate with other fans) that she's River.  There's just too many specific hints.

Aside from the Papal mainframe theory and flirting, there's the Doctor's absolute trust in her, the fact she can pilot the Tardis, and the Doctor's reference to her spending years 'repressing the psychopath' inside her.

I suppose it's possible the character was originally written as River and then changed in the event that Alex Kingston was unavailable... and some odd lines of dialogue were inadvertantly lef in... but that's another theory.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:23 pm

Hmmm... maybe. It's just that we know all of River's incarnations. Melody, Mels and River. Then she used up all her regenerative energy to save the Doctor. I would actually have found her presence more welcome if it WAS River because she was so River-like and I thought it a bit weird. But I just thought it was Moffat falling back onto a similar character. Huh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:34 pm

hitman hart wrote:
loved it. I was on the edge of my seat by the end.

You must have narrow seats??!

Razz Razz bounce Razz Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:36 pm

Maybe it was because that I was watching with my brothers who make it difficult to focus, but I never thought she must be River Song. I just assumed she was another person, and somehow the Papal Mainframe had information on how to fly a TARDIS. Or that the TARDIS knew the Doctor needed Clara and let Tasha fly it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:52 pm

Her being River never occurred to me either. And that is after a couple repeats.

What was in the box Tasha gave him? I want to think Jelly Babies!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Ronpur wrote:
What was in the box Tasha gave him?  I want to think Jelly Babies!

That's what I was thinking... especially when he asked about the colors.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Did you guys know that the estate Clara's grandmother lives in is the same as the one Rose did!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5982
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:08 pm

I thought it looked kinda familiar...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:19 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Her being River never occurred to me either.  And that is after a couple repeats.  

What was in the box Tasha gave him?  I want to think Jelly Babies!

They were marshmallows! That's his source for getting the marshmallows that he and Clara roasted earlier. He mentioned then that the pink ones were best. Smile

As for Tasha Lem is River theory, I guess Lem is "Mel" spelled backward! LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
thebreen

PostSubject: Re: S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)   Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:25 pm

jonwes wrote:
But I just thought it was Moffat falling back onto a similar character. Huh.

That might be partly why I'm so eager to believe she's River... otherwise, it is just Moffat regurgitating a character concept, and that would be rather disappointing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

S7E16: The Time of the Doctor [2013 Christmas Ep] (SPOILERS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: