Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

What did you think of S7E15: 'The Day of the Doctor'?
AMAZING!!!!
70%
 70% [ 31 ]
Good!
18%
 18% [ 8 ]
Okay...
9%
 9% [ 4 ]
Really bad!
2%
 2% [ 1 ]
AWFUL!!!!
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 44

AuthorMessage
Jaysun

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2009-10-23

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:19 am

I thought it was fantastic! Tom Baker, Peter Capaldi, and Hurt's regeneration...amazing.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.ecksermonator.com
Jackpumpkinhead

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-09-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:48 am

TinDogRory wrote:
Jackpumpkinhead wrote:
I was slightly confused by the "End of Time" conundrum as well.  Though I just came to the conclusion that "The Day of the Doctor" took place after the "End of Time" as far as the events of the time war are concerned. DOTD shows the final day of the time war EOT is taking place towards the end if not a day of two before the final day of the war.
The thing that has me scratching my head is what the Doctor actually did to end the time war. Davies era DW kind of lead me to believe that the Doctor just locked them away, in a place where they are stuck forever. Not dead or alive but just locked in time. Mofett era DW says that the Doctor destroyed all of Galifrey, he "burned" them all. So which is it? Did the Doctor believe that he killed them all or just locked them away where they might as well be dead?10 says in DOTD that there was an actual number of children that he counted right??
All I know is that my brain hurts just thinking about it
My favorite Oz character. The Ninth Doctor says that Gallifrey burned as early as "The End of the World." He also takes responsibility for killing both his own people and the Daleks in "Dalek." If anything, Moffat has tried to distance the idea of the Doctor killing the time lords directly. Mainly because I don't think it ever fit with the Doctor's character. As presented here, Moffat clearly wanted to exonerate the War Doctor, but in a way that left the idea that Gallifrey is dead until this episode. As well, this narrative sure makes a lot of the "people who survived the Time War but shouldn't have" list less problematic. How did the Dalek Emperor survive for "Parting of the Ways?" He was at the bombardment of Gallifrey when the planet disappeared, his ship was heavily damaged in the crossfire from his own people and sent careening through time due to the timey-wimey nonsense of having 13 Doctors in one place at one time. And then the Bad Wolf erases all of the Dalek "Survivors" of the Time War from existence.
I plan on rewatching both "The End of Time" and "Dalek" just to sort everything out. Though after rewatching DOTD I have come to the conclusion that the events of DOTD are taking place either at the same time as TEOT or just before, as far as galifray is concerned.

Side note: did anyone notice the subtle Wizard of Oz reference. in the black archive there were red\ruby slippers and then at the end the doctors final thought was basically "There's No Place Like Home"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:27 am

Somebody mentioned those might've been River Song's shoes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emerdelac.wordpress.com
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:34 am

Jackpumpkinhead wrote:

I plan on rewatching both "The End of Time" and "Dalek" just to sort everything out. Though after rewatching DOTD I have come to the conclusion that the events of DOTD are taking place either at the same time as TEOT or just before, as far as galifray is concerned.
I wish I had access to video capture equipment and a good editing program, because I really want to do a vid where you hear the seer screaming "Gallifrey Falls!" as the planet is sucked back into the Time War, then cut to John Hurt: "Oh For God's Sake...Gallifrey STANDS."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:00 am

Shatterbang wrote:
Yeah, those are most assuredly River's heels from "The Time of Angels."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:36 am

I saw it in 3D last night with a theater full of Whovians. That was a thrill! Total strangers suddenly best friends because of TV show! It looked great in 3D, but the opening with Strax (actually, I don't think that was "Strax") explaining movie etiquette and the Doctor arriving at the 12D showing of the 100 anniversary special was fantastic! I loved 10 warning to watch out for 11's chin while watching it in 3D! The behind the scenes at the end was great too, especially listening to Colin Baker narrate! He got a great cheer when he appeared!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:04 pm

TinDogRory wrote:
Shatterbang wrote:
Those heels are far too high for Oz. I know. Look at my avatar.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:39 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
TinDogRory wrote:
Shatterbang wrote:
Those heels are far too high for Oz. I know. Look at my avatar.
I was tempted to call them "River's deadly heels" before. Smile 

ronpur wrote:
I saw it in 3D last night with a theater full of Whovians. That was a thrill! Total strangers suddenly best friends because of TV show! It looked great in 3D, but the opening with Strax (actually, I don't think that was "Strax") explaining movie etiquette and the Doctor arriving at the 12D showing of the 100 anniversary special was fantastic! I loved 10 warning to watch out for 11's chin while watching it in 3D! The behind the scenes at the end was great too, especially listening to Colin Baker narrate! He got a great cheer when he appeared!
I was quite impressed with the way it looked on the big screen. Our sound mix was the slightest bit off. When music and voice or SFX and voice were on at the same time it was fine, but anytime there was music, voice and SFX all at the same time, the voice got very, very low. The 3D was nice, but it does kind of disappear in a meaningful way in the back half. The pre-show bits were nice, though I wish they would have shown Night of the Doctor before hand.

I was amazed at the audience we had. I bought tickets for a 7:30 PM showing and when I go to the theatre, I found out they over sold and bumped half the audience into an 8 PM showing! The second theatre was quite full, too. (Not sold out, but at least 75% full.) As well there was an additional 10 PM showing which had a decent sized line when I left the theatre. There were an adorable pair of young boys dressed up as 10 and 11 and their mother had on a TARDIS themed dress. I got quite a few comments about my 6' Fourth Doctor scarf. (Despite the cold, I couldn't justify wearing my Timelord Knits 12-footer!) There was even a guy dressed as "Proper Colin," as he called it - an all-black version of Colin's costume with a big gold Cat Pin on the lapel. All in all, it was good fun! Glad to have experienced it on the big screen. On second viewing, the show does really fly. The humor bits landed excellently. Only Capaldi's moment didn't get a rise out of the audience, which was odd. However, there was an audible gasp from the Curator's appearance.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:48 pm

You know that scene when Kate says to Osgood, "The ravens are looking a bit sluggish. Have Malcolm take a look at them."

1. Is that the same Malcolm played by Lee Evans in 'Planet of the Dead'? I'd like to think that it is, personally!

And, 2. Does that mean UNIT have spy-drones roaming around London in the disguise of ravens?! UNIT must be pals with the NSA and GCHQ! Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Gene Lantern

Number of posts : 1001
Registration date : 2013-07-03

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:28 pm

Ronpur wrote:
I saw it in 3D last night with a theater full of Whovians.  That was a thrill!  Total strangers suddenly best friends because of TV show!  It looked great in 3D, but the opening with Strax (actually, I don't think that was "Strax") explaining  movie etiquette and the Doctor arriving at the 12D showing of the 100 anniversary special was fantastic!  I loved 10 warning to watch out for 11's chin while watching it in 3D!  The behind the scenes at the end was great too, especially listening to Colin Baker narrate!  He got a great cheer when he appeared!
Yup; exact same experience! It was really amazing to be surrounded by so many Who fans Smile

Capaldi got cheers, and there were actual gasps when Tom Baker came on screen!

Ronpur; I am pretty positive that was Strax; it ties in with the short videos Strax did for the Doctor Who site leading into the special
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scifijapan.com/forum/index.php
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:53 pm

The Gene Lantern wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
I saw it in 3D last night with a theater full of Whovians.  That was a thrill!  Total strangers suddenly best friends because of TV show!  It looked great in 3D, but the opening with Strax (actually, I don't think that was "Strax") explaining  movie etiquette and the Doctor arriving at the 12D showing of the 100 anniversary special was fantastic!  I loved 10 warning to watch out for 11's chin while watching it in 3D!  The behind the scenes at the end was great too, especially listening to Colin Baker narrate!  He got a great cheer when he appeared!
Yup; exact same experience! It was really amazing to be surrounded by so many Who fans Smile

Capaldi got cheers, and there were actual gasps when Tom Baker came on screen!

Ronpur; I am pretty positive that was Strax; it ties in with the short videos Strax did for the Doctor Who site leading into the special
I know it was Dan Starkey, but he could have been any of Strax's clone batch. They all look alike! LOL
Back to top Go down
View user profile
KIRKESS

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2011-09-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:54 pm

I think there is an interruption for Time Lock: It prevents navigation equipment from locking on to space-time coordinates.

The TARDISs were able to travel in to the Time War because the Moment/Bad Wolf/Rose is Ancient Time Lord Technology. Its a "Tactical Space-Time Navigation System". In other words, its a navigation beacon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:35 pm

Who actually time-locked the Time War? Is it ever revealed? I guess it would have been the Doctor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:03 pm

I'll imagine that the Time Lock is what War Doctor is doing at the computer as he regenerates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:19 pm

TinDogRory wrote:
I'll imagine that the Time Lock is what War Doctor is doing at the computer as he regenerates.
Yeah, I'd settle for that! bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:21 pm

I wasn't sure that anyone had actually created the Time Lock (it seems like that'd be an awfully powerful thing for someone to do) so much as a natural thing that happened due to the trauma of what happened. Before, I thought it was the destruction of two races who used time as weapons, causing all sorts of unstability that made it impossible to navigate to. Now, I suppose you could say the Doctor's drastic move of spiriting Gallifrey away via the time freezing tech of the statis cubes (and the destruction of the Daleks) could have done that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:25 pm

It's also possible that the Time Lords and/or Daleks Time Locked the War themselves, in order to prevent one or the other from going back in time and wiping them out before the war began.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:56 pm

TinDogRory wrote:
It's also possible that the Time Lords and/or Daleks Time Locked the War themselves, in order to prevent one or the other from going back in time and wiping them out before the war began.
That's how I see it, as the Time Lords and Daleks aren't the worst things to come from the Time War.

You've got the Nightmare Child, The Skaro Degradations, the Horde of Travesties, the Could-Have-Been King with his army of Meanwhiles and Neverweres...

Those are all still locked safely away within the Time Lock (Indeed, a big component of the ending to The End of Time was the Doctor's concern that those things would get out).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:42 am

The Day of the Doctor made 4.5m in US theaters on Monday! :O
It was #2 for the day! It made more in one day than movies make in their whole run! Full story:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/26/doctor-who-box-office/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:11 am

Rust wrote:
... the Could-Have-Been King with his army of Meanwhiles and Neverweres...
I've often wondered what, if any, connection this lot has to Faction Paradox.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:23 am

Why did UNIT pick up the TARDIS by helicopter crane without checking if the Doctor was inside? If he wasn't, how would he know where he was supposd to be & what happened to his TARDIS?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:29 am

I suspect they assumed he wasn't there, and were forcing him to come to them by taking it.
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:46 am

Wouldn't it have been easier to tape a note to the door telling him when & where to teleport over to investigate an ancient mystery? I know I'd be less inclined to help somebody if they stole my ride/house, even if they were my friends.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
SJA

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:08 am

I think Hurt stole the show!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:41 am

It's UNIT. The Doctor has resisted working with them before.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Today at 5:03 am

Back to top Go down

S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: