Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

What did you think of S7E15: 'The Day of the Doctor'?
AMAZING!!!!
70%
 70% [ 31 ]
Good!
18%
 18% [ 8 ]
Okay...
9%
 9% [ 4 ]
Really bad!
2%
 2% [ 1 ]
AWFUL!!!!
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 44

AuthorMessage
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:49 pm

TinDogRory wrote:
Certainly. But I would have liked to have had one more scene with Kate L-S and the Doctor(s) where she sums everything up. Especially something like her leaving the three Doctor behind and quipping, "Like Dad said, Nice Chap, all of you." Also, are we to infer Osgood is the another Lethbridge-Stewart? The line of about her sister seemed to imply this but it never gets mentioned.
At the beginning when Kate is by the pond, Osgood does call her "Mum" when she hands her the phone.  It is when Kate talks about the birds in the pond needing new batteries and to contact Malcolm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:53 pm

Oh, and when did Jenna Louise Coleman become Jenna Coleman?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:54 pm

I didn't dislike Hurt, I just thought he was either unneccessary if he wasn't going to commit double genocide or underdeveloped if they wanted to sell us on a Doctor that had willingly done horrible things during the Time War. Maybe they'll do some more with his character later. His criticizing 10 & 11 was quite amusing. He was much better than metacrisis 10 clone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:56 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
I didn't dislike Hurt, I just thought he was either unneccessary if he wasn't going to commit double genocide or underdeveloped if they wanted to sell us on a Doctor that had willingly done horrible things during the Time War. Maybe they'll do some more with his character later. His criticizing 10 & 11 was quite amusing. He was much better than metacrisis 10 clone.
Maybe if more of Hurt's battles are ever seen, we could see how much more violent he was during the war?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:42 pm

By the way... Why did the War Doctor just randomly regenerate? LOL!

I know the "Wearing a bit thin..." line was a nod to the 1st Doc, but the 1st Doc showed signs of ill health in the episode. The War Doc didn't. He was fine. Then he just died of old age randomly?

It would be my only criticism of the episode, to be honest. It'd be nice if that had been explained. I guess he could have sustained a few injuries during the war but, like I said, surely he'd have shown signs of bad health throughout the episode if he was on his way out?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:51 pm

Because he was a forced regeneration to be the Warrior. War is over. Time for him to go.

Or he was just old and worn out. Imagine all the radiation he absorbed during the war.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:15 pm

I have a feeling that the argument will be that the War Doctor is at the end of his natural life cycle and knowing that his future is secure with 10 and 11 just gives in to it. Seeing as how the War Doctor appears to have lived for some 40-50 physical years and we don't know how Time Lord aging works per generation, I think we can assume that he's the longest lived Doctor besides 1.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:20 pm

Rust wrote:
Eh. The story was pretty crowded as it was - and that's without Eccelston's involvement. I thought bringing in the oldest surviving Doctor (playing, ironically, the Eldest Doctor) was enough of a bow to the Classic series without trying to shoehorn Colin, McCoy, and Davison in as well.
I dunno... there was a LOT of the episode where not a whole lot was happening. IMO -- and maybe it's because I'm not British; Queen Elizabeth's active role in the episode might have been much more compelling for British audiences? -- the Elizabeth stuff was boring and could've been scrapped entirely. If Moffat had done away with her, he could've fit in Eccleston, Capaldi, and all the surviving classic Doctors! Razz

And did anyone else find the Zygons to be kinda ridiculous? The snarling and weird faces were just kinda goofy. It's been a while since I watched Terror of the Zygons, but I don't remember them being so theatrical!

Last edited by Wes Crayon on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:38 am

They were more expressive because they have better prosthetics now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:43 am

I took my nephew to see this in 3D and he loved it...it was exciting to see and experience it thru young and old eyes. He had his tom baker scarf on, the tshirt and was wiggling in the movie seat before the show. He was so excited! We came 3 hours early and it was so neat to see 10 theaters full for this day of the doctor celebration. Who fans from all over convened in one happy happy birthday party. The theater was electric and experiencing doctor who in a theater has been a wish come true. I am still on a high from this saturday- it was everything I hoped for and more.
My favorite part...tom..second matt and david...but number one was seeing how happy and fascinated this little boy was with a show called doctor who.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jackpumpkinhead

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2013-09-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:46 am

I was slightly confused by the "End of Time" conundrum as well. Though I just came to the conclusion that "The Day of the Doctor" took place after the "End of Time" as far as the events of the time war are concerned. DOTD shows the final day of the time war EOT is taking place towards the end if not a day of two before the final day of the war.
The thing that has me scratching my head is what the Doctor actually did to end the time war. Davies era DW kind of lead me to believe that the Doctor just locked them away, in a place where they are stuck forever. Not dead or alive but just locked in time. Mofett era DW says that the Doctor destroyed all of Galifrey, he "burned" them all. So which is it? Did the Doctor believe that he killed them all or just locked them away where they might as well be dead?10 says in DOTD that there was an actual number of children that he counted right??
All I know is that my brain hurts just thinking about it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior

Number of posts : 3946
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:25 am

so uh. . .is the count renumbered? not sure how to take this. . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2730
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:36 am

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-day-of-the-doctor-sorting-out-the-time-differentials-55471.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Captain Ironmac

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:11 am

SeaDevil wrote:
IRONMAC wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:
IRONMAC wrote:
Well I loved it and my John hurt custom will now be taking a rightful place on my display between McCain and Eccelson figures
Why did you make a custom of a US Republican senator?
I don't follow you ????

Paul McGann was the 8th Doctor.  John McCain was a Republican Senator from Arizona.  Razz 
Sorry guys has scary will tell you, I suffer with dislyexcia
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:57 am

IRONMAC wrote:
SeaDevil wrote:
IRONMAC wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:
IRONMAC wrote:
Well I loved it and my John hurt custom will now be taking a rightful place on my display between McCain and Eccelson figures
Why did you make a custom of a US Republican senator?
I don't follow you ????

Paul McGann was the 8th Doctor.  John McCain was a Republican Senator from Arizona.  Razz 
Sorry guys has scary will tell you, I suffer with dislyexcia
Then allow me to apologize.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5982
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:06 am

My apologies as well, IRONMAC.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:13 pm

Jackpumpkinhead wrote:
I was slightly confused by the "End of Time" conundrum as well.  Though I just came to the conclusion that "The Day of the Doctor" took place after the "End of Time" as far as the events of the time war are concerned. DOTD shows the final day of the time war EOT is taking place towards the end if not a day of two before the final day of the war.
The thing that has me scratching my head is what the Doctor actually did to end the time war. Davies era DW kind of lead me to believe that the Doctor just locked them away, in a place where they are stuck forever. Not dead or alive but just locked in time. Mofett era DW says that the Doctor destroyed all of Galifrey, he "burned" them all. So which is it? Did the Doctor believe that he killed them all or just locked them away where they might as well be dead?10 says in DOTD that there was an actual number of children that he counted right??
My favorite Oz character. The Ninth Doctor says that Gallifrey burned as early as "The End of the World." He also takes responsibility for killing both his own people and the Daleks in "Dalek." If anything, Moffat has tried to distance the idea of the Doctor killing the time lords directly. Mainly because I don't think it ever fit with the Doctor's character. As presented here, Moffat clearly wanted to exonerate the War Doctor, but in a way that left the idea that Gallifrey is dead until this episode. As well, this narrative sure makes a lot of the "people who survived the Time War but shouldn't have" list less problematic. How did the Dalek Emperor survive for "Parting of the Ways?" He was at the bombardment of Gallifrey when the planet disappeared, his ship was heavily damaged in the crossfire from his own people and sent careening through time due to the timey-wimey nonsense of having 13 Doctors in one place at one time. And then the Bad Wolf erases all of the Dalek "Survivors" of the Time War from existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:15 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:51 pm

If the eyes are anything to go by - I am gonna love the new Doc!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Wes Crayon wrote:
Rust wrote:
Eh. The story was pretty crowded as it was - and that's without Eccelston's involvement. I thought bringing in the oldest surviving Doctor (playing, ironically, the Eldest Doctor) was enough of a bow to the Classic series without trying to shoehorn Colin, McCoy, and Davison in as well.
I dunno... there was a LOT of the episode where not a whole lot was happening. IMO -- and maybe it's because I'm not British; Queen Elizabeth's active role in the episode might have been much more compelling for British audiences? -- the Elizabeth stuff was boring and could've been scrapped entirely. If Moffat had done away with her, he could've fit in Eccleston, Capaldi, and all the surviving classic Doctors! Razz
The Elizabeth "stuff" is amusing from a historical perspective because Elizabeth I never actually took a Husband, because to do so would have automatically made her subservient in terms of authority of ruling.

It also serves to "date" Tennant's Doctor, as this is occuring between The Waters of Mars and The End of Time - as when he returns to the Ood planet, he makes remarks about Queen Elizabeth.

It also is a means to tidy up the bit from The Shakespeare Code where Elizabeth I reacted to the Doctor with hostility.

Finally, she served as the literal set up for the B Plot involving the Zygons (Namely why the paintings were locked away and the Doctor was to be summoned in the first place), so she's kinda important in that regard.

Jackpumpkinhead wrote:

I'd highly recommend re-watching The End of the World and Dalek. It spells out the nature of the Time War and how the Doctor ended the war quite nicely.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:47 pm

^I was just saying I didn't much care for it? Or for the Zygons subplot in general, actually. (And apparently neither did Moffat, since he kinda skipped over the conclusion of it. What was that bit with the inhaler supposed to signify, beyond the suggestion that they'd figured out who was the Zygon and who wasn't?)

In any case, I'll grant that she's (somewhat) important to the episode as it was written -- naturally. I found it disappointing, so I'd perhaps have preferred a different approach that didn't involve her at all. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:55 pm

Wes Crayon wrote:
^I was just saying I didn't much care for it? Or for the Zygons subplot in general, actually. (And apparently neither did Moffat, since he kinda skipped over the conclusion of it. What was that bit with the inhaler supposed to signify, beyond the suggestion that they'd figured out who was the Zygon and who wasn't?)
I think it was more the fact Osgood offered the inhaler without hesitation, despite knowing that cleared up the confusion...and the Zygon Osgood using it.

I suppose the reason the resolution isn't focused on is either A) It'll be focused on in a Capaldi episode (They do have the costumes now, after all) or B) It's just supposed to be taken as being a equitable deal for both Humans and Zygons similar to the Silurians in In Cold Blood, but understanding that that story was a bore due to the needless negotiation scenes.

As someone pointed out, with both the Silurians and now the Zygons on Earth, the planet is getting to be quite the intergalactic melting pot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:18 pm

This is one of those instances of more modern storytelling where they leave it up to the watcher to figure out the (obvious, I think) conclusion that will happen to the storyline. I don't mind that. I don't need to see how it ends because we're told exactly how it'll end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:05 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
"Night of the Doctor"  shows that 8 had become unhinged by the Time War & showing his compassion be tested to the breaking point would be dramatically effective. We don't see the War Doctor commit any war crimes & he's redeemed by not  pressing the big red button so  it's not as if putting 8 in that role would've ruined him.
Yeah I agree with this. Letting McGann stretch his acting chops in this manner, going from the gentle Doctor to the hardened warrior, would've been all the more fascinating. Perhaps one of his aforementioned Big Finish companions could have fallen victim to the Time War and driven him over the edge. It's a bit of a missed opportunity, and I agree that while Hurt did a good job, it was unnecessary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emerdelac.wordpress.com
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)   Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:07 pm

Ronpur wrote:
TinDogRory wrote:
Certainly. But I would have liked to have had one more scene with Kate L-S and the Doctor(s) where she sums everything up. Especially something like her leaving the three Doctor behind and quipping, "Like Dad said, Nice Chap, all of you." Also, are we to infer Osgood is the another Lethbridge-Stewart? The line of about her sister seemed to imply this but it never gets mentioned.
At the beginning when Kate is by the pond, Osgood does call her "Mum" when she hands her the phone.  It is when Kate talks about the birds in the pond needing new batteries and to contact Malcolm.
Mum is just an English honorific. Harriet Jones was always called Mum by her subordinates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emerdelac.wordpress.com

S7E15: The Day of the Doctor [50th Anniversary] (SPOILERS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: