Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

The Black Hole (1979)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5896
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:04 pm

Rust wrote:
Honestly, they should remake Flight of the Navigator.

Beloved Childhood Film does not hold up at all viewed as an adult.

That's actually in the works too
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:50 pm

It's official......originality in Hollywood is DEAD.  Mad 
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:55 pm

The Castellan wrote:
It's official......originality in Hollywood is DEAD.   Mad 

You talk as though it had much to begin with.

Humphery Bogart's classic The Maltese Falcon was the third such rendition of the movie to hit movie screens in 1941.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:59 pm

But at least back THEN, remakes were not as common, and the original Falcon's hard to find, apart from some Tube sites.

Problem is EVERYTHING is rehashed these days, and most of the stuff being rehashed don't NEED to be rehashed in the first place. I say either make something NEW or in the very least make a sequel or something, and stop redoing everything. I mean there's a reason I have not gone to a theater in 12 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2155
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:22 pm

I looked at the 44 biggest movies coming out in April. There's another Captain America, not sure if that counts as a re-make but it is e sequel. There is a sequel to Rio for the kiddies. It looks like the original Godzilla is getting a re-release before the summer remake. So do we call it 2/44 remakes/sequels next month? Less than 5% doesn't seem too hateful and none actually appear to be remakes (at least remakes of anything I've ever heard of).

I saw Avengers in 3D a couple years ago in the theatre and thought it was awesome. Re-watched it on DVD at home, but the theater experience was superior. Did see the Hobbit 2 in 2D. Great to see Smuag on the big screen. Well worth $2 on a Saturday morning. I know Hollywood is playing it safe with these franchises, but there are still some good movies out there. It still looks like 95% of the stuff out there is original, just not devoted the largest budgets. Among the re-make hate going on is there also novel/comic adaptation hate brewing here?

Still looking for the new Judge Dredd at the used DVD store. After the Stallone version it was a property that needed a remake. But I watched The Black Hole a couple years ago and am not sure that less Ernest Borgnine will work in a remake. The original still seemed pretty good after all these years.

So in the first 25 years of wide release motion pictures there were three Maltese Falcons? I'm glad Hollywood doesn't inundate us with remakes like they did during the "Golden Years" of cinema.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:04 pm

IMO, Dredd isn't a remake of Judge Dredd. It's another adaptation of the comic. Just like Batman Begins isn't a direct remake of Batman (1989). They're basing it off the comic, rather than the previous film.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5896
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:06 pm

mattmanw54301 wrote:
IMO, Dredd isn't a remake of Judge Dredd. It's another adaptation of the comic. Just like Batman Begins isn't a direct remake of Batman (1989). They're basing it off the comic, rather than the previous film.

Precisely.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:28 pm

The first "The Ten Commandments" was made in 1923 before the Heston version in 1956. The main reason for those remakes? Improved technology. Black and white silent movies were remade with "technocolor" and sound. That is happening now, as CGI improves the blue screen effects of 1980's movies. Reading over the wiki entries for remakes, many were made in the golden age of Hollywood. It is nothing new.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_film_remakes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:49 pm

Remaking movies may have been more acceptable back in pre-TV Hollywood because the only way to see a movie then was in a theater. Once a movie's run was over, it was put on the shelf unless it was popular enough to be reissued. There were probably a lot of cases in which a remake seemed fresh because few people saw (or remembered seeing) the original. Also, there were few opportunities to directly compare a remake to the original. Remaking a movie was a more understandable practice back then.

Nowadays, remaking a movie is less defensible, and one would think less desirable. You can see practically any movie you want whenever you want. People see favorite movies over and over again. In this environment, almost any remake will face the risk of seeming stale. You'd think studios would be reluctant to greenlight a remake of anything that was even slightly popular, if only for the fact that people can stay home and watch the original instead of paying to see the new version.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:37 am

That maybe true for those of us who like to watch older movies on TV and DVD, but there is a lot of young people who don't even know some originals are around.  Most of my staff didn't know originals of Robocop or Total Recall were around!  They knew about the 1998 Godzilla but nothing else.  Unless there was a video game for it or it was on a reality TV show or MTV, they have never been exposed to it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:49 pm

That's what's wrong with these kids today...wastin' all their time facebookin' and snapchattin'! Evil or Very Mad They don't know what they're missin'...they shoulda wasted their time watchin' endless hours of television, like our generation did!  Razz  Why, in my day...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:48 pm

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
That's what's wrong with these kids today...wastin' all their time facebookin' and snapchattin'! Evil or Very Mad They don't know what they're missin'...they shoulda wasted their time watchin' endless hours of television, like our generation did!  Razz  Why, in my day...

Hey, get off my lawn!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5982
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:58 pm

Ronpur wrote:
The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:

Hey, get off my lawn!

...and turn down that dang rock and roll music...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:37 pm

...stop skateboarding on the sidewalk!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whoozier

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2013-07-31

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:38 pm

... and get a haircut ya long haired hippy freak!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Whoozier

Number of posts : 559
Registration date : 2013-07-31

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:47 pm

Remember when they used to actually PAINT matte paintings?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ted47

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:33 pm

I like this matte shot.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:44 pm

This isn't exactly on-topic, but fans of "The Black Hole" may get a kick out of a section of the soundtrack to this video on star sizes. (The music certainly had a powerful effect on the young ladies in my earth science class.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Brain of Davros

Number of posts : 1040
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:34 am

Great movie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Black Hole (1979)   Today at 10:32 am

Back to top Go down

The Black Hole (1979)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: