Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

Lost episode's discovered?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:29 pm

Rust wrote:
So hey, new Dad's Army episodes! Not a bad thing, even if that's all we end up getting.
Indeed! It is great for any missing classic TV shows to be found.
Back to top Go down
amckinney

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2010-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:32 am

davro wrote:
Rust wrote:
So hey, new Dad's Army episodes! Not a bad thing, even if that's all we end up getting.
Indeed!  It is great for any missing classic TV shows to be found.

It might not have been clear from my earlier post, but it is this rumour, too (and the "Doctor Who" speculation going along with it) that has also been debunked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SJA

Number of posts : 620
Registration date : 2013-08-16

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:56 pm

The Rumor wont die -

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/106-doctor-who-episodes-uncovered-2343474#comments
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ianotimelord

Number of posts : 1447
Registration date : 2009-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:04 pm

Looks like it could be true! According to the Radio Times BBC Worldwide will put the previously lost episodes from different stories – both believed to be from the Patrick Troughton era – for sale on digital platforms such as iTunes from Wednesday, RadioTimes.com understands.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-10-06/doctor-who-newly-discovered-lost-episodes-to-be-released-for-sale-this-week
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://doctorwhotoys.forumshome.com/
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Another update. According to the Mirror news paper BBC Worldwide have announced a press conference on Tuesday where details of missing episodes will be announced.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/long-lost-doctor-who-episodes-unveiled-2345526#.UlG4dDRZ2OI.twitter
Back to top Go down
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:34 pm

It's real?

It's really, really real?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:57 pm

We should know by Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
Indiana_Brian

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:45 pm

Are these two individual episodes or two stories?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:53 pm

Radio Times is reporting two episodes of different stories from the Troughton era.

I'm not complaining!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SJA

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:46 pm

"BBC Worldwide will put the previously lost episodes from different stories – both believed to be from the Patrick Troughton era – for sale on digital platforms such as iTunes from Wednesday, RadioTimes.com understands.

They are believed to originate from a haul discovered in Africa and have been digitally remastered for sale, although exact details remain sketchy."

Two episodes would be amazing... but it sounds like a haul has been found... thus is exciting!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Gene Lantern

Number of posts : 1001
Registration date : 2013-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:25 pm

SJA wrote:
"BBC Worldwide will put the previously lost episodes from different stories – both believed to be from the Patrick Troughton era – for sale on digital platforms such as iTunes from Wednesday, RadioTimes.com understands.

They are believed to originate from a haul discovered in Africa and have been digitally remastered for sale, although exact details remain sketchy."

Two episodes would be amazing... but it sounds like a haul has been found... thus is exciting!
Apparently there's a press conference this week to offer more info...wow!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/long-lost-doctor-who-episodes-unveiled-2345526

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/06/those-doctor-who-missing-episodes-will-we-find-out-this-week/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scifijapan.com/forum/index.php

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:37 pm

So have there been any updates on the missing episodes?
Back to top Go down
SJA

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:39 pm

cooper67 wrote:
So have there been any updates on the missing episodes?
Nope... just that a press conference is being held on Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amckinney

Number of posts : 472
Registration date : 2010-11-19

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:08 am

Please bear in mind that both The Mirror and Radio Times are simply reporting rumour/secondhand info ("as we understand it", etc), not based on actual first-hand knowledge.

Some people have also been saying the fact that Radio Times is reporting actually means anything, but those people probably forget that the BBC no longer own that publication, so they don't have any special "insider" information.

For all we know, the Tuesday press conference could simply be about the upcoming docudrama.

In any event, all will be revealed (or won't be) then.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:20 am

Nothing to see here people, move along, move along.
Back to top Go down
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:08 am

Further news:
Update: BFI Event Announced (British Film Institute)
A press screening has been arranged this Tuesday night (October 8th) with a BBC spokesman stating:

There will be big news this Tuesday regarding lost Doctor Who episodes. It is great that in the show’s 50th year, fans will now be able to look back with classic episodes as well as looking to the future with the new film-length episode in November.
For some fans watching their lost episodes will be like going back in time.

Details are as yet unknown, but those attending the event will no doubt be informed as to what exactly is going on. A press screening suggests at least one lost episode has been uncovered.

Back to top Go down
Brigadier

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2010-05-14

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:21 am

Ianotimelord wrote:
Further news:
A press screening has been arranged this Tuesday night (October 8th) with a BBC spokesman stating:

There will be big news this Tuesday regarding lost Doctor Who episodes. It is great that in the show’s 50th year, fans will now be able to look back with classic episodes as well as looking to the future with the new film-length episode in November.

Details are as yet unknown, but those attending the event will no doubt be informed as to what exactly is going on. A press screening suggests at least one lost episode has been uncovered.

The Press Releases section of the BFI website isn't carrying this announcement so I'm filing this under rumours as well. There is a "Missing From The Archives" event tomorrow night, but those are regular events, showing archive TV footage already recovered, perhaps the source of the confusion.

The BBC is also hosting a press conference tomorrow about the future of its new iPlayer streaming service, now this could include information of Lost Who, perhaps being used to launch the new service? Again, this sounds more like wishful thinking.

It's kind of weird the BBC or Moffat or someone in the know hasn't tweeted or said, this is b***cks, but we're apparently going to find out one way or the other in the next two days.

Knowing my luck they will have found missing episodes and they're the ones that were animated from "The Invasion" and "Reign Of Terror", which will necessitate buying both stories all over again. D'oh! :-)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ianotimelord

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:26 am

Brigadier wrote:
Ianotimelord wrote:
Further news:

The Press Releases section of the BFI website isn't carrying this announcement so I'm filing this under rumours as well. There is a "Missing From The Archives" event tomorrow night, but those are regular events, showing archive TV footage already recovered, perhaps the source of the confusion.

The BBC is also hosting a press conference tomorrow about the future of its new iPlayer streaming service, now this could include information of Lost Who, perhaps being used to launch the new service? Again, this sounds more like wishful thinking.

It's kind of weird the BBC or Moffat or someone in the know hasn't tweeted or said, this is b***cks, but we're apparently going to find out one way or the other in the next two days.

Knowing my luck they will have found missing episodes and they're the ones that were animated from "The Invasion" and "Reign Of Terror", which will necessitate buying both stories all over again. D'oh! :-)
Doctor Who’s brand manager Edward Russell said: “It’s Sunday. The weather’s gray and the papers are full of rubbish…” Asked if he was referring to the above story, he replied, “What do you think?!”

Paul Vanezis from the Doctor Who Restoration Team wrote on his Twitter: “I would love it to be true. But it isn’t.”

Tom Spilsbury, editor of Doctor Who Magazine, said: “It’s nonsense, I’m afraid.”
Back to top Go down
Steve Of Destruction

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:48 am

It's going to be a long wait until tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
digby

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:14 am

If this is true --- and GAWD I want it to be! --- I have to admit I"m troubled that they're offering for sale via iTunes, and not mentioning DVD.

So, if this is true, does anyone think it could be on DVD? Because if it's just digital download, that really annoys me. I must have episodes on shiny discs on my shelves!

I've tried buying shows from the iTunes store, and honestly it's sort of a pain because I don't have an "apple" lifestyle ... I mean, I tried to take the file I bought and transfer it, but nothing doing. All of the apple protection won't let it play on anything or be burned to DVD...

So again, if it's true and ONLY vie download, are you guys annoyed at all?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.toweroftechnobabble.com
Steve Of Destruction

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:03 pm

I think the iTunes is a "quick fix". DVD releases are going to happen. From a marketing standpoint, it's smart, a lot of people will buy the download, then buy the DVD later. Plus, coincidentally, all the complete episodes are out on DVD now, so if the rumor is true, we could have as many as 22 new DVD releases. Plus "special editions of Reign of Terror and The Invasion. IF its true...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
digby

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-09-28

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:10 pm

Steve Of Destruction wrote:
I think the iTunes is a "quick fix".  DVD releases are going to happen.  From a marketing standpoint, it's smart, a lot of people will buy the download, then buy the DVD later.  Plus, coincidentally, all the complete episodes are out on DVD now, so if the rumor is true, we could have as many as 22 new DVD releases.  Plus "special editions of Reign of Terror and The Invasion.  IF its true...
I guess I'm worried from the standpoint of the industry standard, which seems more and more to shy away from DVD extras. I remember extras used to be considered a selling point in the past, but I've read stories here and there that Hollywood is considering it a waste because focus groups don't tend to watch them, stuff like that.  In fact, I think Joss Whedon's Much Ado about Nothing had no DVd extras? (Could be wrong).

There's also the notion that the growing trend will be download only, which cuts out extras altogether. Sort of like how the previous "confiendtial" type of content is now on the website only. So why put out a "vanilla" DVD when you could just do a download? Also, I swear I remember an interview with someone from the restoration team where they said they toyed with the idea of doing download only...

And of course we've been hearing for quite a while now that the "Underwater Menace" will be the final project for the Restoration Team.  If the BBC knew these missing episodes were coming, surely they would have kept the RT for them?

So part of me, the panicky side of me, wonders if they're going to use the missing episodes to spearhead their new "download only" vision for Doctor Who releases?
(I for one hope it fails if that's true!!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.toweroftechnobabble.com
Indiana_Brian

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:32 pm

It could be the episodes of Underwater Menace and Galaxy Four that were covered a couple of years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steve Of Destruction

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:41 pm

That is a good point, Digby. DVDs are on the decline, I believe Blu-Ray will be the last "physical" format. I would agree that most DVDs I buy, I don't typically watch the extras, EXCEPT for the Doctor Who releases! But I'm hopeful that these stories will see a DVD release. At the very least, they might try a couple to see how the sales are, to see if its worth continuing them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steve Of Destruction

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Indiana_Brian, Possibly, but doubtful...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lost episode's discovered?    Today at 6:25 pm

Back to top Go down

Lost episode's discovered?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: