Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Rate S7E10: Hide
Fantastic!
46%
 46% [ 13 ]
Good
36%
 36% [ 10 ]
Okay...
4%
 4% [ 1 ]
Bad
11%
 11% [ 3 ]
Awful!
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 28

AuthorMessage
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:36 pm

Looks spooky. Probably won't be. But let's see. Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:40 pm

This programme just gets better, in my opinion.
Well directed and brilliantly filmed. Matt Smith is really funny and so excellent as the Doctor, ( Give the guy a BAFTA, lol. )
Nice to hear the cloister bell at the frightning point, (this is how Dr Who should be made.)
Next Week's Episode looks figgin awesome!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:18 pm

WOW, that just blew me away! Spooky parts, fun parts and a crystal from Metabelis III!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:32 pm

Really great! Actually pretty spooky, and Matt and JLC were both great, as well as the guest cast.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Just been reading some comments on the episode on Gallifrey Base. It is amazing how much of a difference there is on opinion about the episode. So many love it but some people hate it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:45 pm

I voted Fantastic.

Honestly, this episode reminded me for all the world of Tom Baker's era. It was intense and really spooky in the beginning, and then turned into a fun sci-fi romp for the second half. This felt like Doctor Who, classic and refined.

The final few minutes are hokey and kind of "meh", but it's nothing that detracts from the overall enjoyment of this episode. Brilliant Production Values, Brilliant Effects, and a Brilliant addition to Series 7.

I also find it really interesting that the TARDIS communicates directly with Clara. We've known the TARDIS has been alive for decades, and The Doctor's Wife gave us some time to get to "know" the TARDIS, but this is the first time the TARDIS has made direct contact.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DacaZ

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:23 pm

Hey y'all... I haven't been here in a while.

I adored every second of that episode. Wonderful directing, great acting. Some amazing fanwanks to Classic Who. Definitely my favorite ep of this half of the series.

And, no offense to Clara, but I think Emma would have made a far more engaging companion. Seems like a lost opportunity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.figurefanzero.com
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5898
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:04 pm

Okay for me.

A bit more engaging than Cold War, but still could have done way more for a haunted house story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stetsons_are_cool7

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:15 pm

I really enjoyed this episode. Neil Cross really has a feel to writing Who stories with a "classic" feel to them.

The end was a little sappy, but it was a neat twist that the monsters were lovers as well. I certainly wasn't expecting it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://creativecritic.blogspot.com/
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:50 pm

I voted 'Fantastic.' One of the best episodes for a while and I actually watched it twice, which I don't think I've done since... I can't even remember the last episode I watched more than once!

Admittedly I was a little unfocused during my first viewing as I was a little preoccupied with something else, however I did see and hear all of it and thought it was great.

It feels weird because I really don't have much to complain about. I think the only thing I could fault it for is the prolonged ending which kinda unnecessarily dragged it out longer than it needed to be. But I can look past that.

Overall, t'was a brilliant episode! It really lived up to the spooky atmosphere it was said that it would have. I'm pleased with this one.

8/10 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:32 pm

Really solid episode. I'll watch again, no doubt about that (in 1/2 hour), but think its a keeper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:16 am

The Doctor travelling to "always" was the highlight of a disappointing episode.
Dougray Scott felt too young to be a convincing WWII spy ace.
Why was the Hila known as the Witch of the Well? The well referred to a "time welll" but the Doctor was the first being to identify it as such. So why would regular folk call her that if there wasn't any well on the property?
Since Hila was stuck just stuck in a pocket universe, was were classic ghost phenomena like visible words & colds spots happening?
Probably my biggest complaint was the TARDIS telling Clara she couldn't rescue the Doctor from the pocket dimension because she'd die almost instantly. Then she does it TWICE in the same episode with no harm. You can't just introduce stakes than immediately show us they didn't matter. That's awful storytelling. How did Clara even manage to pilot the TARDIS?
My second biggest problem was the Doctor's characterizaion in the time well. Why didn't he hang onto the harness so he & Hila could escape together? He knew it would be incredibly taxing for Emma or the Tardis to get him out later before the time well collapsed. Why was he afraid of the monster? He's encountered perception-altering aliens before. It seemd like they decided to write him as being scared just because that's what people in ghost stories are & forgot that he's a well-travelled hyper-intelligent oddball. He shouldn't have been surprised that the mnster was a sentient romantic trapped there too.
Why can't Hila ever go back to her time? I get that being lost might produce some important events, but couldn't she just be lost for a few years & still preserve the future? Is she just going to stay in the present? Aside from being frustrating for her, couldn't this also muck-up the timestream? Could she go to a future planet under an alias?
How did the monster end up in the time well & how did its lover wind up in the house? I would've liked a lot more details about the monsters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:30 am

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:

Why was the Hila known as the Witch of the Well? The well referred to a "time welll" but the Doctor was the first being to identify it as such. So why would regular folk call her that if there wasn't any well on the property?

The Time Hole that manifested, likely. That round disk that hovered in air.

Quote :
Since Hila was stuck just stuck in a pocket universe, was were classic ghost phenomena like visible words & colds spots happening?

Cold Spots were "Energy bleeds" from one universe to the next - basically the Cold Spots indicated where a "doorway" would/could be opened. The visible words were a psychic imprint, likely caused by the fact the Time Traveler and the Empath were related.

Quote :
Probably my biggest complaint was the TARDIS telling Clara she couldn't rescue the Doctor from the pocket dimension because she'd die almost instantly. Then she does it TWICE in the same episode with no harm. You can't just introduce stakes than immediately show us they didn't matter. That's awful storytelling.

Note the TARDIS didn't both to even attempt it until the Empath re-opened the doorway. If the TARDIS went into the Pocket Universe without that "lifeline" she'd die almost instantly. As long as the doorway was open, entropy wouldn't kill her power source. She's connected to the Time Vortex - as long as "Real Time" Existed, she'd be okay.

Quote :
How did Clara even manage to pilot the TARDIS?

How did the TARDIS communicate directly with Clara? The Old Girl is showing surprising independence in the past few years, so I assume the TARDIS piloted itself.

Quote :
My second biggest problem was the Doctor's characterizaion in the time well. Why didn't he hang onto the harness so he & Hila could escape together? He knew it would be incredibly taxing for Emma or the Tardis to get him out later before the time well collapsed.

Probably because the harness was being reeled in by two individuals and being drug "upstream" through a universal hole. Adding another person's weight to that might have been too much.

Quote :
Why was he afraid of the monster? He's encountered perception-altering aliens before. It seemd like they decided to write him as being scared just because that's what people in ghost stories are & forgot that he's a well-travelled hyper-intelligent oddball. He shouldn't have been surprised that the mnster was a sentient romantic trapped there too.

It's a Pocket Universe that is collapsing and Spooky, Dead Woods. I can't blame the Doc for being a little unnerved.

Quote :
Why can't Hila ever go back to her time? I get that being lost might produce some important events, but couldn't she just be lost for a few years & still preserve the future? Is she just going to stay in the present? Aside from being frustrating for her, couldn't this also muck-up the timestream? Could she go to a future planet under an alias?

She can't go back for the same reason the Martian Colony had to be destroyed in The Waters of Mars - it's a fixed point in time. The Doctor got a harsh lesson on not mucking around with those.

Quote :
How did the monster end up in the time well & how did its lover wind up in the house? I would've liked a lot more details about the monsters.

The dialogue goes by fast, but the monster got caught in the same crash that trapped the Traveler. As for what they are...*shrugs* Monster of the Week. Brilliantly designed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:53 am

A fantastic episode...best of the season/series (thus far). A masterful combination of what made the classic series so great (especially in the mid-'70s) and what makes the modern series work. As for the questions it left unanswered, no good spook story ever answers all the questions. Why should everything have to be so exhaustively explained?

(SIDE NOTE: Frankly, if this episode doesn't "do it" for a viewer, that viewer should probably just give up on modern Who. This synthesis of old and new is what it's all been building up to, and the paradigm isn't going to shift radically anytime soon. It wouldn't make any sense for the show to become something else: it used to be big in Britain and a cult thing everywhere else; now it's huge all over the world and has spawned a merchandising empire that probably pays for half the Beeb's frakking programming, and it got to that place by evolving into the show it is now. Until that stops paying off, it's not gonna change. I'm not making a value assessment as to whether or not you should like modern Who; I don't care. I'm just saying your disappointment isn't gonna come to an end anytime soon.)

Last edited by mysterylad on Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Ted47

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:34 pm

I liked it. As others said the best so far. Although I did like Bells of St John more than I thought I would. Also agree it was more interesting than Cold War.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:12 pm

If the TARDIS could have safely crossed into the pocket dimension once the empath was holding the portal opening without the Meetabelis crystral, they did an awful job explaining that. If that was true, why didn't the doctor just pick Hila up in the TARDIS instead if using the rope winch that would strand him there? It didn't like that was what happened in the episode either. Clara goes to the TARDIS for help after the Doctor is stranded because the empath couldn't take the strain anymore. The TARDIS looked liked it was travelling through a ugly pixelated time vortex to get there rather than the the pocket dimension sphere (which doesn't look like a well) held open by the empath.
With all the talk of the pocket universe collapsing, we never see it start to fall apart so the Doctor's urgency to save Hila & his anxiety about being trapped there don't feel earned. Since time flowed so much slower in the pocket universe that Hila's impression could still be photographed a million years into the future, the threat of the pocketverse collapsing in 3 minutes was also undercut.
This episode spent too much time pretending it was a ghost story. They never are ghost stories & there wasn't enough actual horror or spookiness at the mansion to justify this. The actual meat of the story was the rescue mission in the pocketverse. That still came off rushed & underdeveloped even though it happens thrice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:28 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
If the TARDIS could have safely crossed into the pocket dimension once the empath was holding the portal opening without the Meetabelis crystral, they did an awful job explaining that. If that was true, why didn't the doctor just pick Hila up in the TARDIS instead if using the rope winch that would strand him there?

Considering the TARDIS didn't open its doors until the doorway was re-opened, I figured that was implied.

Why didn't the Doctor use the TARDIS in this capacity? Did you hear the Empath scream when the TARDIS came through the first time? That thing has to hurt like passing a Kidney Stone through your eardrum.

Honestly, this episode reminded me a lot of The Stones of Blood. Occult/Supernatural set up hiding the Science Fiction story that was the actual "meat".

Though off on a tangent here, am I the only one that felt the guest stars this episode were great because they were actually people and not just mobile set pieces/exposition machines? It's nice to see these characters - who get so neglected in NuWho - get their own chance to shine without one of the main cast there to shepherd the scene along.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DacaZ

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:39 pm

I agree, they were great supporting characters. Like I said, I would have loved to see Emma as a companion. Right now to me she feels like a more fleshed out and interesting character than Clara does. And that's keeping in mind that I do like Clara.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.figurefanzero.com
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:45 pm

DacaZ wrote:
I agree, they were great supporting characters. Like I said, I would have loved to see Emma as a companion. Right now to me she feels like a more fleshed out and interesting character than Clara does. And that's keeping in mind that I do like Clara.

Completely agreed, however I don't like Clara. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:31 pm

Rust wrote:
Honestly, this episode reminded me a lot of The Stones of Blood. Occult/Supernatural set up hiding the Science Fiction story that was the actual "meat".

Though off on a tangent here, am I the only one that felt the guest stars this episode were great because they were actually people and not just mobile set pieces/exposition machines? It's nice to see these characters - who get so neglected in NuWho - get their own chance to shine without one of the main cast there to shepherd the scene along.

I could not POSSIBLY agree more on all these points.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
rmlextreme

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:30 am

I watched this 2 times and honestly. The only part i liked when clara said Ghostbusters!
reminded me of Rose. That was the only redeeming thing in this episode. The episode appeared to be a through back to an episode like brain of morbius. This is rare for me cause i am a WHO Addict but i kept walking away from it to do other things.

The next episode better be 10/10 !!!!!!!!!!!

And you people hear the Host of the Nerdest was dating Karen Gillan, Gives hope to the rest of us losers now lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:37 am

I voted fantastic as well. It reminded me of the Classic Who episodes that made me a Whovian.

The episodes keep getting better and better...I'm really excited for the rest of the season and that's not something I've been able to say the past couple seasons. Perhaps Moffat has loosened his grip or gotten his ego in check??
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:50 am

Gallifreys Loss wrote:
I voted fantastic as well. It reminded me of the Classic Who episodes that made me a Whovian.

The episodes keep getting better and better...I'm really excited for the rest of the season and that's not something I've been able to say the past couple seasons. Perhaps Moffat has loosened his grip or gotten his ego in check??

The series has been great so far and keeps getting better and better, I'm glad the ponds are gone, the companions have been the biggest problem to me since Who returned... its been more like EastEnders in space. I did not mind the 9th Dr. with Rose that was a pretty normal relationship but when the 10th Dr. came on the scene the "relationships" got in the way far to much for me with Amy and Rory's deal overshadowing the Dr. towards the end.... Clara seems to be pretty fun, nice bit of mystery around her but in essence a pretty classic companion. If the Moff can keep it on a Classic feel like he has so far this will be the best series for me since the shows return.
Back to top Go down
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:45 am

A big steaming pile of AWFUL!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:23 pm

It scared my 6 year old son, he was even behind the sofa, the very first time ever! A total joy not just to watch such a atmospheric episode but to see my sons reaction.... heartwarming haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)   Today at 4:02 am

Back to top Go down

S7E10: Hide (SPOILERS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: