Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Rate S7E9: Cold War
Fantastic!
35%
 35% [ 11 ]
Good
42%
 42% [ 13 ]
Okay...
19%
 19% [ 6 ]
Bad
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Awful!
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 31

AuthorMessage
timewarrior

Number of posts : 3946
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:36 pm

I don't think it would work as a two part story. . .I liked the quick pace and such, besides, they were on a sub, not much room to run around in. . ..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:51 pm

I think it could've been 22 minutes, personally! Razz

I dunno -- a lot of the Tom Baker episodes borrowed quite a bit from horror flicks of the time, but there was always something extra that made them feel, even to their cores, like Doctor Who serials. Maybe a longer runtime actually would have been better for this one, since more time might have required them to go well beyond the standard sub/spaceship horror ripoff material that mostly comprised this ep. I do think that I prefer the classic episodes for their slower pacing -- and the charm and depth that come out during those periods of downtime. And many of my favorite episodes of the 2005- series are 2-part ones. Hm.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
timewarrior

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:53 pm

Wes Crayon wrote:
I think it could've been 22 minutes, personally! Razz

I dunno -- a lot of the Tom Baker episodes borrowed quite a bit from horror flicks of the time, but there was always something extra that made them feel, even to their cores, like Doctor Who serials. Maybe a longer runtime actually would have been better for this one, since more time might have required them to go well beyond the standard sub/spaceship horror ripoff material that mostly comprised this ep. I do think that I prefer the classic episodes for their slower pacing -- and the charm and depth that come out during those periods of downtime. And many of my favorite episodes of the 2005- series are 2-part ones. Hm.

I don't know, this one felt like 42 which I thought was very cool, fast paced romp.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:08 pm

Wha...? 42 might actually be my least favorite episode of the 2005- series. It's definitely in my bottom four! It was basically the same story/setup as the episodes with Satan (ugh), except somehow even worse.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
timewarrior

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:09 pm

Wes Crayon wrote:
Wha...? 42 might actually be my least favorite episode of the 2005- series. It's definitely in my bottom four! It was basically the same story/setup as the episodes with Satan (ugh), except somehow even worse.

I liked how it all seemed like it was in real time. very cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Timey Wimey Puppet Show

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2013-03-01

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:46 am

I enjoyed it much more than Rings of Akhaten...I like episodes where they cram all the action into one physical space. Plus, unlike Rings of Akhaten, Cold War inspired an episode of the Timey Wimey Puppet Show:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.youtube.com/user/TimeyWimeyPuppetShow
squishy

Number of posts : 2155
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:35 pm

Liked the new Ice Warrior design. He was an Ice Lord in the normal armor, but that's just because we all wanted to see the big armor and not have the first reveal to be a puny Ice Lord. The original serial "The Ice Warriors" did the same thing with their leader only because they designed a single costume. Only complaint would be the change to the sonic weapon sound effect. Much like the different Auton hand-flip/gun it is just a small detail that I notice. But I've got no complaints about showing the Ice Warrior out of the armor and thought that they did rather well. Kept it to just hands and eventually the head. If you show too much it just looks silly (Myrka). Brian Hayles always wanted his creatures more cyborg-like and it was always just a lack of money. If you came from a lower gravity planet and spent your life in a mechanical suit I'd bet you'd end up looking a little puny when naked.

Also thought David Warner would have a bigger role. He did great in his part, but as a Warner fan was hoping he'd be something more.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:53 pm

I really loved this episode. It was good fun and Clara is just what the show needed after dragging out the Amy Pond story for so long. I haven't been giddy about a Matt Smith episode for a while now, but this one did it for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:54 pm

rmlextreme wrote:
Let me See Clara dripping wet in Water for an entire Episode. Im hoping next week they meet the Sun Tan Oil Monster of the Pit or the Jello vampires.

lol!

I second that.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)   Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:07 pm

Gallifreys Loss wrote:
rmlextreme wrote:
Let me See Clara dripping wet in Water for an entire Episode. Im hoping next week they meet the Sun Tan Oil Monster of the Pit or the Jello vampires.

lol!

I second that.

The baby oil monster haha
Back to top Go down

S7E9: Cold War (SPOILERS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: