Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Rate S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten
Fantastic!
17%
 17% [ 5 ]
Good
34%
 34% [ 10 ]
Okay...
34%
 34% [ 10 ]
Bad
7%
 7% [ 2 ]
Awful!
7%
 7% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 29

AuthorMessage
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:54 pm

Low expectations. But we'll see!

Discuss!

Last edited by Scary on Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guvnagrover

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2012-05-06

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Scary wrote:

Is that because the preview looked lame or based on what seems to be low expectations due to The Bells of Saint John
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:32 pm

guvnagrover wrote:
Scary wrote:

Is that because the preview looked lame or based on what seems to be low expectations due to The Bells of Saint John

Both. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:08 pm

Not sure if Sycolax or Draconian...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:34 pm

From what people are posting on other sites, I don't feel so bad that I cannot see them, sounds like I would get more from watching old Lost in Space episodes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:36 pm

Seeing as a lot of whining is going on there is a review in the guardian newspaper -

The Guardian
The Bells of Saint John is an episode defined by such little disappointments. Maybe it's because the scheduling this series has cranked things up to the point where everything is expected to be a showstopper. The Bells of Saint John makes a hearty meal of its iconic London locations and some of them, like the sequence on the doomed aircraft, are fantastic. But after the tour de force that was The Snowmen, it feels as though this handsome episode constantly just misses the mark

The part in BOLD is the line that stands out, dose everyone expect every single episode to be a show stopper?

I feel its the same with the Classic action figures, were given a good product but because they are not "showstoppers" that leave us astounded and amazed then the whining kicks into overdrive....

Yes it was not the most explosive episode, but the series in far from over yet!
Back to top Go down
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm looking forward to it. More alien worlds, more aliens! Really, that's my only genuine complaint about the modern series: I don't watch sci-fi for stories about modern Earth.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:37 pm

mysterylad wrote:
I'm looking forward to it. More alien worlds, more aliens! Really, that's my only genuine complaint about the modern series: I don't watch sci-fi for stories about modern Earth.

I totally agree. Even when we went to an alien world, it was populated by a human colony. I just don't buy the fact that it is too expensive. This is the biggest show the BBC has.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:55 pm

I don't mind the human colonies (we had a million of those on Classic Who, too), but I definitely want more alien worlds, and more contact with alien races. I like those stories in which the Doctor has to avert war between two species; it's easy to relate to (we all live on a pretty contentious planet, after all) and it shows off the Doctor's compassion and intelligence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:57 pm

Definitely agreed about wanting to see more aliens and alien worlds. However, the aliens in this particular episode don't excite me and my expectations are low. They look like they belong on the Sarah-Jane Adventures to me... But then again I'm just a hater. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:12 pm

guvnagrover wrote:
Scary wrote:

BBC America didn't even air the trailer following "Saint John." So if Scary's are low, mine must be nonexistent again. But the talk of alien worlds sounds encouraging.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:27 pm

I'm glad there's someone else out there on my wave length, Rob. I thought I was alone for a minute. Razz

Here's the trailer for this episode:

How ironic that Clara is the thumbnail for the video; one would think this show was all about her!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:57 am

Thankfully it's not about Rose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:38 am

I know which of the two I'd prefer though. Even Rose isn't this irritating.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Captain Ironmac

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2009-08-10

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:03 pm

Scary wrote:
I know which of the two I'd prefer though. Even Rose isn't this irritating.

amen scary
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:10 pm

I rated it 'good'. Very Happy

Once again it was way too much Clara and not enough Doctor again, but the scenes with Clara and the little girl were actually quite enjoyable. I'm not enjoying all this back-story about her, her mystery and her family though. Like I said, too much Clara and not enough Doctor.

I loved seeing all the aliens around. It reminded me very much of the Mos Eisely Space Cantina from Star Wars. Very enjoyable! However, the Vigil were not so great; they looked like they belonged on The Sarah-Jane Adventures, and they were very short-lived. They reminded me of the Smilers; they were made out to look cool and look like something significant to the plot and storyline, but in actual fact they were just there for a bit of unsatisfactory 'action'. I'd probably say the same thing for the 'god' creature, who was also quite short-lived.

But it was overall a very enjoyable episode. Definitely liked this one and I would watch it again. I don't know why I enjoyed it so much... I think it was probably just the atmosphere of the whole episode and the adventure of it all. Plus the Star Wars esque scenes really made my day. Very Happy

I'd give this episode a well earned 7/10. Yes, there's too much Clara business going on again, but the enjoyability of this episode has made me see past it for just this once. I didn't think I would but I almost thoroughly enjoyed this episode! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:37 pm

All you need is a little bit faith,lol.
No seriously, this episode was just fantastic and the trailer for next week looked awesome!
I really wish they revert the theme back to last year's christmas special, they've even ommited the classic 'sting' at the end credits.
Yes, this series, i like!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5898
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Bad for me.

Story wasn't engaging at all.

At least Matt is still running at an even keel so far this season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
stetsons_are_cool7

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:10 pm

I enjoyed this episode. It had a "classic" feel to it. It's not perfect, so I didn't vote Fantastic, but it's easily my favorite of Series 7 so far. Though next week looks promising as well.

Matt Smith is superb as usual, and this story was much better for Clara than her intro story. I like the theme of items with personal value as currency throughout the episode.

It could have done without the further adventures of The Doctor, Child Stalker. I was disappointed that the hyped monsters didn't do anything. How are they going to make toys of characters who don't do anything?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://creativecritic.blogspot.com/
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:24 pm

"Bad" for me. Too much Clara, goofy alien marketplace scene that's all show and no substance (all the money they spent on costumes could've been put to better use), hokey conflict, and a resolution that dragged on way longer than it should have and was kinda irritating.

Btw, was anyone else expecting Grandfather to smile and then spare everybody when the people all started singing? I was TOTALLY expecting that and thinking, "Wow, this is really ridiculous"... but then that stuff with the Doctor shouting insults and then Clara offering up "the most important leaf in human history" (ugh) went on forever and I found myself actually preferring the smiling feelworthy Grandfather scenario. Yes, it would have been goofy as heck, but I think I might have watched it and smiled along. I didn't derive any enjoyment whatsoever from how this played out.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5898
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:02 pm

It would have gotten some points for me if Matt was channeling Doc 7 Master Manipulator.

I thought for a while Matt was setting her up all the time just to see if she would turn over the book... first for the rental speeder, then at the end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior

Number of posts : 3948
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:19 pm

I like it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:13 am

I put okay. There was a lot of cool stuff in it and some nice moments, but like the last episode I just don't feel engaged.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:42 am

I liked how the Vigil looked. They're lightyears ahead of those awful Smilers. They looked sort of like steampunk Silence. I actually prefer them a little bit to the Silence.
Seeing an alen bazaar full of non-human aliens was cool! I was so sick of seeingfuture planets populated by folks with the same culture as 20th/21st century humans.
The barter system of pyschometric currency was great worldbuilding.
The reference to Susan was lovely.
The finale was a fizzle. If Merry is special because she's unique then that means everybody's special too so what's wrong with sacrificing her? Somethings have to die so others can live so why does the Doctor have the authority to say that Merry's life if more precious than Grandfather's? Why wasn't the Doctor hurt by Grandfather's soulsucking? Why does a leaf invoking Clara's mother's short albeit pretty full life overload Grandfather with alternate possibilities moreso than the Doctor's centuries of stories? If Grandfather was that solar system's sun, isn't it very bad that Clara killed it?
I didn't think there was too much Clara. The modern series tends to have companion-heavy episodes early on like "The End of the World," "Partners in Crime," & "The Beast Below." I think Martha suffered as a character by not having episodes that highlit her aside from her debut.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:29 am

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
I think Martha suffered as a character by not having episodes that highlit her aside from her debut.

That would have distracted from her role as "Martha Jones: Professional Hostage".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)   Today at 10:38 am

Back to top Go down

S7E8: The Rings of Akhaten (SPOILERS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: