Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

027 - The War Machines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Rate this Story (5 Stars Being Best)
1 Star
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
2 Star
13%
 13% [ 1 ]
3 Star
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
4 Star
63%
 63% [ 5 ]
5 Star
24%
 24% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

AuthorMessage
Who North America

Number of posts : 5675
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: 027 - The War Machines   Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:56 am

Post reviews, observations, factoids, etc, regarding this story in this topic. Do not post replies to other people's postings here. This information is being compiled for future publication. Please post your name or a suitable alias (initials, for example) for publication purposes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whona.realtvboard.com
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6371
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 027 - The War Machines   Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:09 am

This one could possibly be my favorite First Doctor story ever. I love the additions of Ben and Polly (but I cringe on how they disposed of Dodo halfway through the story without even a by-your-leave) and they are great as a team. The story itself is pretty good, too. I have to give William Hartnell the nod for being particularly good in this serial. His standoff with a War Machine at the end of episode three is one of my favorite First Doctor moments.

SeaDevil
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: 027 - The War Machines   Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:08 am

I really enjoyed it. It was a fun story, and the War Machines themselves were extremely well designed (I liked how they incorporated the Battering Arm without making it seem tacked on and the flood light "Eye" was actually rather creepy when it moved up and down). I do wish they'd made a comment about the fact the guns were jammed earlier though, as I wondered if it was a Sound Error that people kept squeezing the trigger and nothing was happening.

Still, a fun adventure that any modern Who fan would feel comfortable with. I'd also like a War Machine toy. I would pay silly amounts of money for one, to be honest.

G.C. Rust
Nebraska, USA
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: 027 - The War Machines   Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:57 pm

This story has the best voice line i've ever heard in the whole run of Dr Who - It's when the War Machine says, " DOCKTOHRR --- HOOO -- ISST ---- REEQUIRRED ",lol.
The swinging sixties are well presented in this enjoyable Hartnell story.
( First appearance of the refit Police Box and the last for the previous look )

TheMasterKhan

Last edited by masterkhan on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9579
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: 027 - The War Machines   Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:02 pm

I loved this episode, mainly because for me, it was a preview of the UNIT years to come!

Ronpur
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7485
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 027 - The War Machines   Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Great story! Lots of action, and a great introduction to Ben and Polly! The plot was pretty solid and I really enjoyed it. The War Machines looked really cool - my only complaint is that we didn't see enough of them. I'd have liked to have seen them take over the city/country before they were eventually defeated. But ah well, it was still a lot of fun.

The Dodo thing irked me... It's quite unbelievable that she would travel around with the Doctor in time and space for all that time and then pass on a message through Polly that she's not coming back. It just didn't seem right... Did Jackie Lane fall out with the crew halfway through and decide not to come back or something? She can't have left for the good of the story, cos if anything it subtracted from the story rather than made it better. Hmm, very peculiar...

Anyway, great story! One of my favourites of Hartnell's era! 4 stars. cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6371
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 027 - The War Machines   Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:02 pm

Jackie Lane's contract expired after episode 2 and it wasn't renewed, kind of leaving her without a resolution to Dodo's story.  Why her contract didn't coincide with the end of the story rather than midway is just ridculous. Not to mention careless.  She was just...forgotten about...in the middle of the story!!!

Worst.  Companion. Departure.  EVER.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Scary

Number of posts : 7485
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 027 - The War Machines   Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:43 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
Jackie Lane's contract expired after episode 2 and it wasn't renewed, kind of leaving her without a resolution to Dodo's story.  Why her contract didn't coincide with the end of the story rather than midway is just ridculous. Not to mention careless.  She was just...forgotten about...in the middle of the story!!!

Worst.  Companion. Departure.  EVER.

Worse than Vicki's departure, and I thought that was bad...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

027 - The War Machines
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: The Doctor Who Viewer's Guide :: Season Three - First Doctor-
Jump to: