Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

012 - The Romans

View previous topic View next topic Go down 

Rate this Story (5 Stars Being Best)
1 Star
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
2 Star
10%
 10% [ 1 ]
3 Star
10%
 10% [ 1 ]
4 Star
50%
 50% [ 5 ]
5 Star
30%
 30% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

AuthorMessage
Who North America

Number of posts : 5671
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: 012 - The Romans   Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Post reviews, observations, factoids, etc, regarding this story in this topic. Do not post replies to other people's postings here. This information is being compiled for future publication. Please post your name or a suitable alias (initials, for example) for publication purposes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whona.realtvboard.com
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 6287
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: 012 - The Romans   Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:19 pm

I love The Romans!!! It is soooo much fun to watch. Everyone seems to be having such a ball making this one and I enjoy every minute of it. It shows that sometimes traveling can be a lark and we should just let our hair down and go along for the ride.

SeaDevil
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9574
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: 012 - The Romans   Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 pm

A fun romp! This was designed as a comedy, and I loved it! If only it could have had a higher budget, and grandiose sets. And Nero's burning of Rome inspired by the Doctor was very clever! Glad it got mention years later in Fires of Pompeii!

Ronpur
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pixletwin

Number of posts : 2704
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: 012 - The Romans   Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:31 pm

This is prolly one of my favorite Hartnell performances as the Doctor. The sword fight is great and the dialog he speaks while trying to convince the court of his lute playing is funny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7485
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: 012 - The Romans   Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:11 pm

After an evening of lots and lots of homework to complete, this was especially fun and enjoyable to watch!

The Doctor is great in this story. The fight scene between him and the assassin in episode two is hilarious; the way he throws him across the room and then smacks him on the head made me laugh out loud, especially since he was just stood there laughing at him at the same time. :PCompletely unlike the Doctor in his later incarnations but also comically done, so it was both a shock and a laugh.

The way the Doctor then handles taking on the role of Maximus is also great to watch and funny, too.

Vicki's spirit for adventure is encouraging. The stories so far have mostly been about trying to escape the environment and get back to the TARDIS, so I'm glad that Vicki seems to be more interested in exploring the area. This gives me hope for the rest of these stories that I'm yet to watch. Also, it's interesting to see the Doctor and Vicki seem to get on better than the Doctor and Susan did. Actually, that's a bit annoying really, but ah well.

This is certainly a very comical story and I love it for it. Great stuff. However, considering that in real events Caesar used innocent Christians in Rome as a scapegoat for the burning of the city and fed them to the lions in the amphitheater, I found it hard to enjoy the idea that the burning of Rome was the Doctor's accidental fault and that he was alright with it, but I get that this is supposed to be a lighthearted story. Other than that objection, I did enjoy the story and its humour thoroughly. bounce

Full marks for this one. 5 stars. Loved it! cheers Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

012 - The Romans
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: The Doctor Who Viewer's Guide :: Season Two - First Doctor-
Jump to: