Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5896
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:48 am

I was morbidly curious and decided to watch it last night, figuring this would be SO slanted toward Nu Who instead of the series as a whole. Now I don't know how the 'poll' was conducted, worded, or if the people were provided with already determined options and only these could be voted on... but sure enough... an "ultimate" DW list of nothing but Nu Who.

Top 5 Companions:

Spoiler:

My thoughts:

Spoiler:

Top 5 Scariest Moments:

Spoiler:

My thoughts:

Spoiler:

Top 5 Guest Stars:

Spoiler:

I wasn't thrilled with any of these. After, they showed a list of other guest stars that had also appeared- I would have chosen most of them instead.

Top 5 Scariest Monsters:

Spoiler:

My Thoughts:

Spoiler:

Top 5 Things Only Found in DW:

Spoiler:

My Thoughts:
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:28 pm

*Facepalm*

Even as "New Blood" to the Who franchise, this is embarrassing. Now I've only really scratched the surface of Doctor Who, but my own list would be more of the following:

Top 5 Companions:

5. Rory
4. Donna
3. Romana I
2. Sarah Jane
1. Jaime

Rory and Donna are both very solid companions, and easily two of the best we've gotten in Nu Who, but The Key to Time really has Romana I steal the show in a lot of instances (Even if she's woefully underutilized in The Androids of Tara), Liz Sladen is such a marvelous actress she made people care about Sarah Jane thirty years after she left the TARDIS, and anyone who has seen anything of Patrick Troughton's run will agree, Jamie is the quintessential companion. Plus he's not afraid to Shiv a Sontaran.

Top 5 Scariest Moments:

5. "The Time Lord Victorious is Wrong!" - The Waters of Mars

One of the most brilliant moments of Nu Who to date. The Doctor takes a step towards madness for all the right reasons, and in the midst of his self-congratulations it falls to a mere human woman to make a terrible choice to preserve the timeline and prevent catastrophic damage to the future/history. Everyone I think knew what was going to happen when she uttered those lines, but it still mortified us when we heard the shot that followed.

4. Ood Rampage - The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit

Another Nu Who moment, when the "Demon" possesses the Ood and they begin their rampage, just ramped up the terror in a brilliant two parter.

3. Davros' speech in response to the Doctor's question in Genesis of the Daleks

The revelation of just how around the bend Davros was is chilling, to say nothing of the brilliant performance that gives that madness life.

2. Midnight

This entire episode makes my #2 spot and was the first time I realized RTD was a legitimately good writer when he's not fighting against his own tendencies. It had a very Twilight Zone feel to it, something I think Doctor Who benefits from. The strange, the bizarre, and we left the episode with just as many questions as we arrived with. A grand experience and a must on Halloween. Everyone carries on about Blink, but to me Midnight is the quintessential 'Horror' Who episode.

1. The death of the Sideways World from Jon Pertwee's Inferno

The literal end of the world, shown in all its sound and fury. The Doctor escapes to prevent the same thing from happening to his world, but in the process has to abandon those that helped him, including a alternate version of his companion Liz Shaw. While the Special Effects may be hokey now-a-days, the psychological ramifications of such a event are mind boggling. No wonder the Doctor went into a self-induced coma after returning.

Top 5 Guest Stars:

5. Jenna-Louise Coleman as Oswin Oswald, Asylum of the Daleks
4. Kevin Stoney as Tobias Vaughn, Invasion
3. Derek Jacobi as Professor Yana, Utopia
2. William Gaunt as Oricini, Revelation of the Daleks
1. Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith, School Reunion

My personal picks on the folks who left the most lasting impact after their appearance.

Top 5 Scariest Monsters:

5. Nestene Consciousness/Autons, Spearhead from Space
4. Weeping Angels, Blink
3. Malus, The Awakening
2. The Minotaur, The God Complex
1. Toclafane, A Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords

I did this list based more on the concept then the actual appearances. The episode titles indicate which appearance I'm basing their "Scare" factor from in the case of repeat villains. Like I said, this more conceptual then what was actually shown.

Not going to cover the last category, since it's just self-congratulatory clap-trap.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:48 pm

As far as Nu-Who/Reboot Who goes, I was really pleased with
Spoiler:

My top five Nu-Who Companions would have been:

5. Amy Pond
4. Rory
3. Rose
2. Martha
1. Donna Noble

The scariest moments were just ridiculous.
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:25 pm

For Nu Who, my companion list would go:

1. Donna
2. Captain Jack
3. River Song
4. Rose
5. Lady Christina

Scariest baddies... hmm...

5. The Beast (God Complex)
4. The Beast (Imp Planet/ Satan Pit)
3. Vashta Narada
2. The Midnight Entity
1. Weeping Angels

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:23 pm

Ok, my attempt at a truly integrated list... gonna be tough.

Top 5 companions:

1. Nyssa
2. Ace
3. Jamie
4. Donna
5. Captain Jack

Scariest baddies... that one is gonna take a lot of thought (and review)

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:41 pm

Personally, I always felt "Blink" as overrated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:51 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
For Nu Who, my companion list would go:

1. Donna
2. Captain Jack
3. River Song
4. Rose
5. Lady Christina

Are these characters really considered companions though?? If so...my list would definitely include River Song and Lady Christina as well as Wilfred Mott. Actually one of my biggest complaints with Moffat's takeover is that I'll probably never get to see Lady Christina or Wilfred Mott again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:40 pm

It's hard to say... on one hand, I do consider Sara K and Katarina companions, even though they were short tenured... but then in Nu Who I don't really view the one off guest stars and just recurring ones (Captain Jack, Mott, River, etc) as "companions", but many out there do.

Besides, it helps me fill out the list with characters I actually like. Sticking with the longer tenured ones, that would just leave Rose, Martha, Donna, Amy and Rory to qualify as choices. I think Mickey would fall in the same grey area as Captain Jack.

Meaning- I'd have to put Martha on there. Even at the bottom, I just can't put her on a list of my favorites, even if I ran out of options Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:19 pm

New Who companions, top 5 for me would be:

1. Rory (He was only there to keep an eye on his woman.)
2. Donna (It was so sad she couldn't remember her time with the Doctor.)
3. Sarah Jane (COME ON, she might have had minimal time in the TARDIS in the new series, but she's Sarah Jane!)
4. Captain Jack (Because he's Captain Jack)
5. Amy (Not counting River, Rose got ruined with repeat exposure, and Martha, while great, got passed on great defining character moments in favor of the Doctor moping over Rose.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:50 pm

What an awful list. You can tell a Smith-era NuWho fan wrote it. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5982
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:56 pm

I've found all of these BBCA specials like this to be super-lame.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:21 pm

For me, companions...

1. Ace
2. Jamie
3. Donna
4. Sarah Jane
5. Ian Chesterton
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:05 pm

All-time companions for me are:

1. Sarah Jane Smith
2. Liz Shaw
3. Romana I
4. Donna Noble
5. Jamie McCrimmon
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:24 pm

I wanted to give this special a try, because they said the voting was based off of readers of the BBC A site blog. I figured if it was truly open voting, that there had to be enough old school fans that could get at least a couple of classic mentions in the lists.

Either they were swamped by all the Nu Who newbies, or the poll/survey was directed solely for Nu Who. I went to the site to try and find just how it was done, but didn't see anything.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:06 pm

These specials exist only to promote BBCA's airings of "Doctor Who." They don't run anything from before 2005, so there's little profit in incorporating anything from the pre-RTD era. Though I was surprised to see references to classic episodes in the bumps (historical figures depicted in the show, etc.).

For me, the most appalling thing about this show is they misspelled "asylum" in a graphic and nobody at BBCA caught it before it aired. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:39 pm

For me, the list goes as follows.

Best Companion: Classic Who
5. Leela
4.Peri
3. Jo Grant
2. Ace
1. Sarah Jane

Nu Who:
5. Martha Jones
4. Captain Jack
3. Donna
2. Amy
1. Rose

Back to top Go down
View user profile
guvnagrover

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2012-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:00 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
I've found all of these BBCA specials like this to be super-lame.

Agreed. I stopped watching them after realizing that they were pretty much geared to almost nothing but nuWho. It's a shame; especially for a show that has such a rich history.

It would be nice for them to delve more into the show's (classic) history so those fans who aren't familiar with it can, hopefully, appreciate it even more.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 am

I think it's a bit silly to expect BBCA to cover all Doctor Who when they haven't & then get mad when they don't. BBCA caters to nuWho because that's the product they're currently selling. They want to promote it. They don't want to say "the current series is pretty good, but the classic stuff beats it 9 times out of time." BBC is pouring ton of money into the new series so they want a good return on their investment. Keeping the current run popular ensures that there will be funds to support both future & classic Who.
I don't mean that BBCA shouldn't promote classic Who, it's just not as big a priority for them. The episodes have already been produced & restoring them for DVD isn't as costly as comissioning all new episodes. They still sell classics merchandise on their website & print catalogue, but profits on them are either gravy on top of new series profits or self-sustaining to the built-in audience without much advertising. While die-hard fans appreciate the classics, their charm & restricted budgets are a tougher sell to modern audiences raised on new stuff. Of course BBCA could do a much better job of promoting the classics to new fans, but that's not what these specials are designed to do. Maybe next year they can do a special devoted just to the best of classic Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:10 am

Maybe BBCA should get the classic series and broadcast it.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guvnagrover

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2012-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:51 am

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
I think it's a bit silly to expect BBCA to cover all Doctor Who when they haven't & then get mad when they don't.

I think it's silly to have a show called "The Doctor Who Ultimate List of Lists" and only cover nuWho; but to each their own. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:14 am

Ronpur wrote:
Maybe BBCA should get the classic series and broadcast it.......

Hear! Hear!

(I'm still trying to understand why they play ST-TNG so much. It isn't even British...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:25 am

Oh, but Patrick Stewart is in it.

Yeah, I agree. But considering what SyFy has become, somebody needs to be showing Star Trek.
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:56 am

But surely there's a better place than BBCA. There's so many great British "genre" shows past and present that you'd think they'd play some of them, rather than ST-TNG and BSG.

...like classic Doctor Who...

...so that when they do these pointless "list" shows or "best of" shows, they can be truly more representative of the series because people might actually have seen some of the older characters and aliens...

That's all I'm saying. Star Trek should live somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

PostSubject: Re: Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists   Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:22 am

Agreed. It should be on SyFy, ideally... so should BSG... you know, having been a SyFy original programme.

Yeah, there is a lot of classic BBC programming that it should be virtually free for BBCA to air.
Back to top Go down

Brit List: The "Ultimate" DW Lists of Lists
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: