Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

is the dr who series becoming unpopular

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: is the dr who series becoming unpopular   Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:37 pm

I actually enjoyed the Pond stuff, but by the end of last season, I was genuinely sick of River Song. (As much as I like the character.) The overarching story was interesting, but just way too much.

I think they're "back on track" with the last five episodes, treating everything as a one-off and just telling good sci-fi tales "like in the old days."

It will be interesting to see where the new series goes with Clara. On the whole, I'm enjoying Moff's run more than RTD's. If the fire isn't burning as brightly for the general UK public, it's probably because they're no longer trying to position the Doctor as someone teen girls would want to shag. Wink

Back to top Go down
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: is the dr who series becoming unpopular   Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Thun wrote:
FUNCHOMCLALA wrote:
To be fair, I think that they are not giving him the dramatic opportunities that they gave DT, and the show has been all about the Ponds for his entire tenure, so maybe he'll get more to do now that they are (finally) gone.

COULDN'T. AGREE. MORE.

Your entire post is pretty much in line with my opinions, but that above all has hampered Smith's run. I really got tired of watching The Amy Show.

Agree with this 100%.

And this is just my opinion, but I think the show has suffered immensely as a result of the head honchos actively pursuing certain demographics. The ratings are high, The Doctor is on the cover of every magazine, and now everybody knows what Doctor Who is, but the same can be said of Jersey Shore and the Kardashians.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: is the dr who series becoming unpopular   Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:57 pm

I have just seen Doctor Who on the front of a US magazine! First time ever, I did a double take.... a sure sign of less interest in the show.
Back to top Go down
Glitz

Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2010-05-29

PostSubject: Re: is the dr who series becoming unpopular   Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:01 pm

Gallifreys Loss wrote:
The Doctor is on the cover of every magazine, and now everybody knows what Doctor Who is, but the same can be said of Jersey Shore and the Kardashians.

Post of the week. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: is the dr who series becoming unpopular   Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:37 am

Gallifreys Loss wrote:

And this is just my opinion, but I think the show has suffered immensely as a result of the head honchos actively pursuing certain demographics. The ratings are high, The Doctor is on the cover of every magazine, and now everybody knows what Doctor Who is, but the same can be said of Jersey Shore and the Kardashians.

Beat me to it. Just because something becomes popular in the mainstream, does not mean it's good. Jersey Shore and the Kardashians, like he said, are prime examples.....just throw in American Idol, Honey Boo Boo, TV news shows that are one sided while saying they are fair and unbiased, and the mile long list of other brain cell imploders, and it shows that mainstream is not THAT great, either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: is the dr who series becoming unpopular   Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:28 am

Well, the question was is it still popular...not great. Great is always a matter of opinion. Popularity can be measured by numbers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: is the dr who series becoming unpopular   Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:33 am

The following is purely an opinion. An opinion based on the musings & ramblings of an ageing Whovian. Please do not jump down my throat or get your hackles up!

The question asked was "Is the Dr Who series becoming unpopular?"

IMO - NO!

Who will always be welcome in my home. However, I honestly do not have the same love for the NuWho era. Don't get me wrong, there have been some truly memorable stories & characters ( & some total howlers too!! Shocked )

My wife feels that Dr Who is a "kids show" & I, reluctantly, have to agree with her. When I was a boy (*queue dreamy time music*) Who was on the BBC in a slightly later timeslot to now (20:00 then as oppposed to 18:00 now) The stories were alot darker & they gave me some sleepless nights. That being said, I was hooked & would, feverishly, wait for the next episode.

That was then......this is now!

Eccleston's tenure started off with the same promising feel & I felt like that same boy again. Tennant's tenancy of the role was...........................O........K.......but it started to feel like it was being lead down a completely different path. It was still watchable but certainly not unmissable!

Matt Smith's time in the TARDIS up 'til now has been fairly solid. As an actor I can, kinda, buy what he's trying to sell me. Moffat has done a howlingly woeful job at the helm of the good ship TARDIS. His writings for the RTD era were some of the best the era had to offer. However, since taking over the cheif writer's chair - he has slid downhill. He is being way too clever for his own good & he seems to be taking the show in a "will this character make a good figure" direction. It's as though his hand is being guided by the toy companies?!

New-NuWho seems to be all rainbow coloured & shiney. It seems to draw the children to it (much like the kiddy catchers cart in Chitty Chity Bang Bang) It seems to now be style over substance. It's now all about the marketing & the merchandise posiblilties. I weep at the thought of who will get the keys to the TARDIS when Smith leaves. It will, no doubt be some teen idol who will look just dandy in all his 3.75 inch figurine glory. All the kids will be Pied Pipered into forking out their pocket money & wont care two hoots about the show that I once loved & now silently weep over it's loss to modern day mediocrity.

Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if merchandising & marketing held us all to ransom with such power when I was younger. Saying that, it was all about the story back then! *sighs* Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5966
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: is the dr who series becoming unpopular   Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:46 am

I think I'm gonna move this thread from the Toys & Releases section to the Doctor Who Discussion section...
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: is the dr who series becoming unpopular   Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:32 pm

Just Scott wrote:
The following is purely an opinion. An opinion based on the musings & ramblings of an ageing Whovian. Please do not jump down my throat or get your hackles up!

The question asked was "Is the Dr Who series becoming unpopular?"

IMO - NO!

Who will always be welcome in my home. However, I honestly do not have the same love for the NuWho era. Don't get me wrong, there have been some truly memorable stories & characters ( & some total howlers too!! Shocked )

My wife feels that Dr Who is a "kids show" & I, reluctantly, have to agree with her. When I was a boy (*queue dreamy time music*) Who was on the BBC in a slightly later timeslot to now (20:00 then as oppposed to 18:00 now) The stories were alot darker & they gave me some sleepless nights. That being said, I was hooked & would, feverishly, wait for the next episode.

That was then......this is now!

Eccleston's tenure started off with the same promising feel & I felt like that same boy again. Tennant's tenancy of the role was...........................O........K.......but it started to feel like it was being lead down a completely different path. It was still watchable but certainly not unmissable!

Matt Smith's time in the TARDIS up 'til now has been fairly solid. As an actor I can, kinda, buy what he's trying to sell me. Moffat has done a howlingly woeful job at the helm of the good ship TARDIS. His writings for the RTD era were some of the best the era had to offer. However, since taking over the cheif writer's chair - he has slid downhill. He is being way too clever for his own good & he seems to be taking the show in a "will this character make a good figure" direction. It's as though his hand is being guided by the toy companies?!

New-NuWho seems to be all rainbow coloured & shiney. It seems to draw the children to it (much like the kiddy catchers cart in Chitty Chity Bang Bang) It seems to now be style over substance. It's now all about the marketing & the merchandise posiblilties. I weep at the thought of who will get the keys to the TARDIS when Smith leaves. It will, no doubt be some teen idol who will look just dandy in all his 3.75 inch figurine glory. All the kids will be Pied Pipered into forking out their pocket money & wont care two hoots about the show that I once loved & now silently weep over it's loss to modern day mediocrity.

Maybe I wouldn't feel this way if merchandising & marketing held us all to ransom with such power when I was younger. Saying that, it was all about the story back then! *sighs* Sad

If there were a slow clap emoticon...I'd be using it right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

is the dr who series becoming unpopular
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: