Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Why the fez?!?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
LastWho

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2008-11-14

PostSubject: Why the fez?!?   Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:39 pm

Seriously, I just don't get it! The Doctor wore it in ONE episode! As a joke! He NEVER wears it anymore! We only heard a fez mentioned once again!

Why do so many cosplayers seem to think that a fez is the difinitive 11th Doctor's look!?!

Why is there such a demand that we now have a fez and bow tie combo available?!?

I really don't get it.

He also jumped out of a cake in one episode, don't see the cosplayers insisiting THAT is a difinitive look.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:00 am

Three episodes.

He wears one briefly in A Christmas Carol and The Impossible Astronaut.

I think the way it really didn't fit the rest of his costume just says so much about his character, and that's why people love it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1816
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:43 am

I liked Fezes before the Doctor said they were cool so it's about time the show caught up to my tastes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:03 am

its just a fun thing imo.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:34 am

Fezes are cool, besides he doesn't have a kick arse scarf!
Back to top Go down
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:03 am

Anyone else of hearing the Doc say, "_____ are cool." I mean you don't hear the Fourth Doctor saying, "Scarves are cool" or the Seventh Doctor going, "Question Marks are cool". I say stop making him sound so damned human and chummy and make him more alien, again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chuzzlewit

Number of posts : 3851
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:30 am

The Castellan wrote:
Anyone else of hearing the Doc say, "_____ are cool." I mean you don't hear the Fourth Doctor saying, "Scarves are cool" or the Seventh Doctor going, "Question Marks are cool". I say stop making him sound so damned human and chummy and make him more alien, again.

The Doctor thinking mundane human items are cool DOES make him more alien. It's when he chases after a teenage chav and says "I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry" all over the place that he's being too human. I'm just saying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:18 am

I agree, I see so many Fez's out there. And I have seen one stetson. But it is a look that makes 11 cosplayers a bit more distinctive than just a history teacher. At least the fez is easier to find than plastic celery. But a panama hat is cooler!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:28 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
I think the way it really didn't fit the rest of his costume just says so much about his character, and that's why people love it.
This.

I'm honestly a little surprised at the people who "don't get it," it's such a hilarious moment that's unique to 11's character, it's no wonder it caught on.
Back to top Go down
FUNCHOMCLALA

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2007-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:53 pm

I know kids who wear them to school now. 'nuff said.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7474
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:57 pm

No problem with it really, but a whole new action figure for it was unnecessary...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:02 pm

Scary wrote:
No problem with it really, but a whole new action figure for it was unnecessary...

No, it wasn't necessary... It was a moral imperative!!

Smile
Back to top Go down
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:20 pm

This Doctor thinks fez's are cool. The 4th Doctor thought scarves were cool. The 5th Doctor thought celery and panama hats were cool. Who knows what the 6th Doctor was thinking. It shows that he just isn't quite human. And quirky fashion sense has been part of his character since day one. But the 3rd Doctor thought velvet smoking jackets and frilly shirts were cool...and he was absolutely correct!! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:22 pm

Scary wrote:

I liked the fez and stetson figures. But the straight jacket and beard....not at all. Especially since we never got a great coat Doctor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:36 pm

Chuzzlewit wrote:
The Castellan wrote:

The Doctor thinking mundane human items are cool DOES make him more alien. It's when he chases after a teenage chav and says "I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry" all over the place that he's being too human. I'm just saying.

Didn't Troughton have a thing about hats in his first season? All those episodes are gone now, but from recons and audios he's quite fond of what other people have on their head. So Matt is continuing an old tradition.

Why do the fans latch on to the Fez and not so much the Stetson? I've seen both costumes at conventions, but the Fez is cheaper for BBC to cash in on. And the comics and fan publications have seized the Fez as a "thing". The more ridiculous the hat, the more the fans like it? Hopefully as Matt has more hats the Fez fixation will die down.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
FUNCHOMCLALA

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2007-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:34 pm

I wish they would do more hat variants. I want a Hartnell in his cowboy hat or his Master Plan Egyptian panama hat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:41 pm

Ronpur wrote:
This Doctor thinks fez's are cool. The 4th Doctor thought scarves were cool. The 5th Doctor thought celery and panama hats were cool. Who knows what the 6th Doctor was thinking. It shows that he just isn't quite human. And quirky fashion sense has been part of his character since day one. But the 3rd Doctor thought velvet smoking jackets and frilly shirts were cool...and he was absolutely correct!! Smile

Yea, but they did not go on saying it all the time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:52 pm

And nobody but Doctor number 4 went around offering people jelly babies all the time. There was nothing inherently "alien" about that, but it was a distinctive character quirk of his.
Back to top Go down
stetsons_are_cool7

Number of posts : 161
Registration date : 2012-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:50 pm

I think part of it depends on the hat itself. The stetson Smith wore in during series six really fit him, while the one he wore in the western episode during series seven didn't really do much for his character.

I never really liked the 4th Doctor's floppy hat, but thought the 5th's panama hat was always cool looking. It varies from Doctor to Doctor.

Also, rumor has it that 11th Doctor might wear a bowler hat at some point so expect to see more them in the future as well...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://creativecritic.blogspot.com/
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:07 pm

"__ are cool." is Eleven's catch phrase. Much like "Would you care for a jelly baby?", "It wouldn't be cricket.", "FAN-TAS-TIC!" and "I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

I'm fine with it. It's a lot more natural then any time they try to make him say "Geronimo!", similar to Ten's forced "Allons-y!".

My favorite instance of the current catchphrase had to be: "No, Bunk Beds are Cool! It's a bed...with a ladder!"

Smith just brings a lot of much needed fun back to the Doctor which really had been missing since his fifth Incarnation. Seven had a lot of light hearted moments too, but they get overshadowed by the Machiavellian scheming and don't really shine on their own merits.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Good points. I think Moff is trying to bring back something about the Doctor that got lost over the years: he never wanted to be a hero, he just wanted to see the universe and enjoy it. Just so happens that trouble finds him and he's not one to run away.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:11 am

At least he doesn't wear jumbo clown shoes. clown
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Why the fez?!?   Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:15 am

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
At least he doesn't wear jumbo clown shoes. clown
"What on earth are those?"