Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

General Star Trek thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1209
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:35 am

Received my Enterprise A by DST today. This is the re-release from earlier in the year. Long story short, I didn't buy it at first due to owning the 2003 original. However, last week, when adjusting it, the display stand snapped clean off, resulting in many minutes of profanity.

However, this gave me an excuse to order the new one. Glad I did, as the paint job is radically different. The blue base color is more understated. Also, there are more paint details on the new one. I have read complaints about paint slop, but I don't see too many here. Also, unlike other releases of this sculpt, the warp nacelles are glued in place, which has 2 drawbacks: first, if the ship should fall, you are pretty much guaranteed to break the nacelles. 2, it's impossible to straighten them. With the previous plug-in nacelles, you could tweak how straight they are.

Luckily, mine are pretty straight. Kind of a gamble there. New sounds focus on the movies 4-6 dialogue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:20 pm

Star Trek Beyond trailer.....

A lot of action, as is typical for these movies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2145
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:37 pm

Not sure the director of "The Fast and the Furious" is the best choice for a Gene Roddenberry movie, but I'll give it a chance. Lots of fight scenes with actors on wires was not why I watched the original series. At least they're doing something for the Trek 50th.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thun

Number of posts : 1225
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:40 pm

Wow, that looks even worse than the other 2. And that music just screams "Star Trek".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:38 am

squishy wrote:
Not sure the director of "The Fast and the Furious" is the best choice for a Gene Roddenberry movie, but I'll give it a chance.  Lots of fight scenes with actors on wires was not why I watched the original series.  At least they're doing something for the Trek 50th.

I just read an article where Justin Lin describes watching Star Trek since he was 8 years old. That gives me a bit of hope that maybe he gets what it is about, and the trailer just focuses on the action.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:12 pm

Yeah, it wouldn't be the first time that Hollywood put together a misleading trailer.  There could still be hope, although I'm not seeing a return of William Shatner mentioned anywhere yet.  (Although a surprise cameo by Shatner would be one of the best things I could imagine).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:24 pm

So very NOT happy with CBS and Paramount right now.....

http://io9.gizmodo.com/cbs-suddenly-wants-to-put-a-stop-to-axanar-the-crowdfu-1750290696?rev=1451493896255&utm_campaign=socialflow_io9_facebook&utm_source=io9_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:52 pm

Reading the quotes from the producers, they were in contact with several of the Star Trek department personnel at CBS.  If this is truly an "out of the blue" lawsuit then it's a crazy move by Paramount to alienate fans.  Why do producers let lawyers act without thinking?  A quiet word with the leader of many fan groups is normally all it takes to change behavior or bring it in to line.  Why go "nuclear" as the first step?

First I've figured out that DS9 and Voyager will likely never get the Blu Ray treatment before physical media dies.  Then I find I need to win the lottery to afford DS9 on DVD.  Thank goodness for the public library so I can watch it at all.  Now Paramount is out to kill the better fan films.  Hope they don't go after Phase 2 and Continues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:58 pm

Ronpur wrote:
squishy wrote:
Not sure the director of "The Fast and the Furious" is the best choice for a Gene Roddenberry movie, but I'll give it a chance.  Lots of fight scenes with actors on wires was not why I watched the original series.  At least they're doing something for the Trek 50th.

I just read an article where Justin Lin describes watching Star Trek since he was 8 years old.  That gives me a bit of hope that maybe he gets what it is about, and the trailer just focuses on the action.

Read a quote from Simon Pegg saying that the actual movie is better and more "Gene Roddenberry" than the trailer appears. Another case of cherry-picking snippets to make a misleading trailer?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:04 am

I got the rerelease of the NX-01 from Diamond select toys. Very cool update. The original ship had a very good paint job, but that was 2002. The aztec-ing is better, and now every little hatch and detail is painted. It's not quite as dramatic as the 1701-E Nemesis update, but seeing the new version of the NX-01, the details really pop out alot better.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:43 am

mattmanw54301 wrote:
I got the rerelease of the NX-01 from Diamond select toys. Very cool update. The original ship had a very good paint job, but that was 2002. The aztec-ing is better, and now every little hatch and detail is painted. It's not quite as dramatic as the 1701-E Nemesis update, but seeing the new version of the NX-01, the details really pop out alot better.

That sounds awesome! I still have the original. It is lacking something in paint apps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4625
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:37 am

Cool to hear about the NX-01. I'm most excited about the update to the lights.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:51 am

Got my ticket for Star Trek in concert. THE ULTIMATE VOYAGE. Comin to my town in April. Can't wait!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5858
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:09 pm

News on Trek blu rays for this anniversary year:

The Good:

Trek animated series
TWOK, with now BOTH the theatrical and extended cuts

The Bad:

No current plans on new versions of the other films (so no TMP extended cut)
No current plans for DS9 or Voyager

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Thun

Number of posts : 1225
Registration date : 2007-04-04

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:27 pm

Good news on Wrath of Khan. That's the reason I haven't picked up any of the classic movie Blu-rays, I've been holding out for the extended editions.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:51 am

I don't have any Trek films on blu ray. But seeing as I now have a 4k TV to go with my blu ray player, I might have to snag the re-releases. Then double dip for TWOK. Might as well go all in. I'm gonna get the Khan Select figure and the Reliant from DST.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:54 am

mattmanw54301 wrote:
I don't have any Trek films on blu ray. But seeing as I now have a 4k TV to go with my blu ray player, I might have to snag the re-releases. Then double dip for TWOK. Might as well go all in. I'm gonna get the Khan Select figure and the Reliant from DST.

They did say that TWOK was going to be a 4k remaster... so they might even put out an Ultra blu for it in addition to the standard blu. Nothing definite though. Of course if they do the Ultra, sales will likely influence if they will do the same for the other films.

They will be putting out Ultras for Nu Trek and Into Darkness this summer.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:52 am

Cruelie, I read your response with Matt Murdock's voice. lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:15 pm

Dang, I finally found a cheap DVD copy of the Animated series last month. Not sure how much better it could look in Blu-Ray, although it could be packed with more special features. Years of teasing and me waiting and it finally gets announced 4 weeks after I buy the current version.

And I got all the movies on Blu-Ray a couple years ago. Didn't imagine that Paramount would have cleaned them up any better for another release.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:32 pm

squishy wrote:

And I got all the movies on Blu-Ray a couple years ago.  Didn't imagine that Paramount would have cleaned them up any better for another release.

Apparently the only film that was properly remastered for the original blu releases was TWOK.

With the exception of the new TWOK that will have that 4K master and include both cuts, all the stuff that will be re-released this year are the same as the first blus we already got.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:18 pm

I have actually never bought anything animated on blu. Does it make much difference?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ted47

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-02-02

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:38 pm

I had GI Joe - The Movie on DVD.
I recently bought it on Blu-ray and I don't
see any real difference. Maybe the sound.
But not that I could really tell.
So, for me, I will buy cartoons on DVD.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:11 am

OK, I have the Eaglemoss NX-01 refit special edition coming to me. Can't wait!!! This is the design that they should have gone with either from the start, or near the end of season 2. Maybe then the refit design is in service when the Xindi attack, and they set off to the Delphic Expanse in this spiffy flagship. If the show had gone on to a 5th season, featuring the Romulan War as an overarching theme, this might have made it to screens. Notice that designer Doug Drexler included TOS style penants and decorations. And it's the SS Enterprise now, instead of just Enterprise.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:02 pm

I just finished the Polar Lights kit of this design. It really is a great transition to the "future" Enterprise!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

PostSubject: Re: General Star Trek thread   Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:28 pm

I always wanted to work on models, but when I was a wee child, my small motor skills were never really well developed. As a result, I have terrible penmanship, and am not good at putting models together or painting small details. So to be able to have these completed ships in my collection is a good silver medal. I have always been obsessed with Trek ships. Somewhere there is a VHS tape of me holding an Enterprise model, age 4, explaining where all the parts are. Bridge, warp engines, deflector dish, phasers, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

General Star Trek thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 11 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: