Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

S7E4: The Power of Three (SPOILERS)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Rate S7E4: The Power of Three
FANTASTIC!
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
Good
55%
 55% [ 17 ]
Okay...
29%
 29% [ 9 ]
Bad
10%
 10% [ 3 ]
AWFUL!
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 31

AuthorMessage
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E4: The Power of Three (SPOILERS)   Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:01 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:

Series 6 was the Saga of River Song/Amy Pond (Let's not kid ourselves by saying it was anything otherwise). It created the Silence, who are now being regarded as the greatest Who villain of all time by some fans (couldn't disagree more). River Song's 'mystery' was dissolved. Amy Pond became even more important than she had in Series 5 (which was hard to believe). It was just something I couldn't relate to on any possible level as a fan of the show for the last 25 years.

Eh. I see where you are coming from and even agree to some extent. Frankly, the revelations about River has kind of killed the magic of her character. I don't mind revealing that mystery, but it makes her appearances less special now knowing what we know about her. I'm also sorely disappointed that she wasn't a fellow Gallifreyian survivor. If the Daleks can keep popping up like cockroaches, more then the Doctor and the Master should have survived.

But Amy suddenly becoming more important? I disagree there. She's not put on a pedestal like Rose, Martha, and Donna were. Yes, she's had her moment of plot importance in Series 5 when she remembered the Doctor back into existence, but in Series 6? Really her giving birth to Melody Pond/River Song ultimately marginalized her afterward. I hate saying it, but it just felt like there was nothing left for her to do after that and we've gotten this long, drawn out heel dragging exit rather then just letting them go in The God Complex/The Wedding of River Song (Where their involvement made sense, given Amy's "ability").

If anything, it's painful to watch Amy and Rory get drug around with thinner and thinner plot reasons for them to do so.

As for the Silence - they're a nice new addition to the rogue gallery, but their ability is stupidly powerful and potent. The Doctor, at the very least, should be able to perceive them more then a regular human. I just have a sinking feeling they're going to be driven into the ground the same way the Weeping Angels have been. Their Series 5 Two Parter just wasn't a strong enough story, and it contradicted Blink far, far too much.

Quote :

Now, I know we are only halfway through Series 7, but I want to put this hypothetical question to you. If the second half of Series 7 turns out to be as unimpressive as the first half has been, do you still feel that nothing is wrong with the show?

Series Seven strikes me as being a slow build towards the 50th Anniversary. I'm giving Moffat till then to see where this is going before I ultimately pass judgment there. That having been said, if it ultimately does turn out to be lackluster it won't be from lack of trying.

Doctor Who is presently trying to be as deep and complex as modern day SciFi Programs are - with convoluted plots and shrouded motivations a la Battlestar Galactica, LOST, Heroes, etc. But Moffat's doing it in such a way that the old formula still applies as well.

Thus far, nothing has even approached the level of disappointment of The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords. Series 3 really is the meter stick I judge these series by. Brilliant build up, brilliant execution...terrible, terrible resolution. I found every episode of Series 3 to be absolutely brilliant (Yes, even the head scratching Daleks in Manhattan two parter and Martha Jones: Professional Hostage) save the last two, which just left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

So far, nothing Moffat's doing has approached that level of vicious, terrible betrayal. I might think he gets a touch too complex and convoluted, but thus far he's never delivered such bitter disappointment as RTD managed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: S7E4: The Power of Three (SPOILERS)   Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:40 pm

Ah, see, that's how different fans opinions can be. We've had this discussion before, and I loved the 3 part ender of Series 3, I believe I've watched it several times. I also know I'm in the minority of fans who think that John Simms did and excellent job as the Master. My measuring stick would be most of Series 6, which at this point, even Series 7 isn't as bad in my eyes (still not as good as Series 5).

I'm just disappointed that tomorrow is the mid-Series finale, and we waited this long for stories that just didn't live up to the hype they've been given (promotions, etc). This does not give me a good feeling for the Anniversary.

As far as the argument that Amy isn't important, look no further than the Power of Three. The Doctor just can't stop seeing her. I'm confused as to what the relationship is. Donna was a friend, Rose was a love, what exactly is Amy? there's this married woman, that you just can't stop hanging out with. I'm sorry if I'm the only one who thinks there's a problem with the writing there.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S7E4: The Power of Three (SPOILERS)   Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:49 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:

Now, I know we are only halfway through Series 7, but I want to put this hypothetical question to you. If the second half of Series 7 turns out to be as unimpressive as the first half has been, do you still feel that nothing is wrong with the show?

I already think plenty is wrong with the show--it's way too childish to me. Now, if the second half of this series does disappoint me, that simply means I'll dislike this series. I will still love series 6 the most, none of those past opinions would change....

Although, no matter how much I might dislike the second half (and I might, as I'm really hating this first half), I really can't see myself disliking it more than series 1, 3 or some of 4... which are hard to top in my not liking them.
Back to top Go down
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S7E4: The Power of Three (SPOILERS)   Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:36 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
I also know I'm in the minority of fans who think that John Simms did and excellent job as the Master.

John Simms did fine with the material given to him. When allowed by the script, he could be a positively intimidating figure. The problem is his overstated mania, which was Anley cranked to Eleven. Also having to come in after Derek Jacobi - whom I dearly wished we'd had more time with.

Quote :
I'm just disappointed that tomorrow is the mid-Series finale, and we waited this long for stories that just didn't live up to the hype they've been given (promotions, etc). This does not give me a good feeling for the Anniversary.

It depends on what they do with the Anniversary, really. Without knowing what the story is even vaguely going to be about, it's hard to guess. In my opinion, they never got any better then The Three Doctors (Which kept the stakes high and the characters to follow low), so I'm just hoping for an enjoying romp.

Quote :

As far as the argument that Amy isn't important, look no further than the Power of Three. The Doctor just can't stop seeing her. I'm confused as to what the relationship is. Donna was a friend, Rose was a love, what exactly is Amy? there's this married woman, that you just can't stop hanging out with. I'm sorry if I'm the only one who thinks there's a problem with the writing there.

Fan Theory Incoming

In the SJA The Death of the Doctor, the Doctor tells Jo Grant that when his tenth regeneration was dying, he looked in on all his past companions - something he had not done before. As the regenerating Doctor is somewhat a product of the circumstances behind his regeneration, it's possible that this renewed interest in his former companions right before regeneration has had the consequence that the Doctor simply can't "let go" like he used to.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S7E4: The Power of Three (SPOILERS)   Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:36 pm

This episode would have been so much better without the cubes plot and focusing on the Amy-Rory-11 trio even more. The whole "we blinked and missed" adventure concept was a great idea to do this.

That would make introducing Kate (who I'm sure will be back for some 50th anniversary stories) problematic, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

S7E4: The Power of Three (SPOILERS)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: