Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Worst Sci Fi Movies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:58 pm

The Castellan wrote:

Star Trek 2009, was Trek in name only

You must be joking.

TOS was pure camp ham the vast majority of the time, and it was only the byplay of the cast that let a person overlook the glaring flaws in the plots to make it work.

TOS '09 revived the Classic series in every way that truly mattered - it was pure camp fun that only worked thanks to the byplay between characters.

I'm a former Trek fan (I say former because between Nemesis and Enterprise, my love of the franchise took a mortal blow), while TOS being top on my list of beloved shows. The 2009 feature film was like stepping back in time. Beyond Chekov, the movie was as faithful a reproduction of the 60s show as you could get - and then they managed to carry over the fun sense of adventure as well...it was a amazing experience for someone who pined for the days of the Wagon Train to the Stars.

I know obsessive fans like to pick the story's logic apart, or how Kirk basically catapulted from Cadet to Captain in two hours. But can anyone seriously say with a straight face that is any more outlandish then a planet filled with gangsters? Or the Wonderland world? How about the Space Hippies?

The only thing I didn't like about the 2009 film was the fact it established the Romulans as the whipping boys of the galaxy. Seriously, the movies hate them. First they get omitted from Star Trek III (And thus resulting in the Klingons stealing their most iconic ship design for themselves), Nemesis killed off their leadership, and in 2009 Post-Nemesis Romulus literally went boom off camera.

As for SciFi films I do not care for...there aren't many. The War of the Worlds remake is definitely on that list, as is Signs, and Close Encounters of the Third Kind...but beyond that? If they count, the Pierce Brosnan era Bond films post-Goldeneye. I really hated those movies.

Really I don't hate bad scifi films. I view them more as riffable material with friends. It's one of our favorite pass times actually - my friend has one of those giant tins of 50+ Public Domain Scifi films and we always pick one at random to sit and riff. It makes the movie immensely enjoyable - though the Hercules flicks from the 50s are extremely difficult to riff because they're so dull and lifeless to begin with.

Heh. I remember when we riffed Willow. "It's Baby Moses!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Turning Kirk into an arrogant prick (JJ Kirk is like the fan wank characture of the kirk uber nerds habe of him running on some world, explosions all around him, phaser in one hand, a green woman around the other. Kirk from TOS, as I remember, was a pretty decent fellow, described by his peers as a grim pile of books with legs, and not some James Dean rebel wanna-be), Spock with obvious anger management issues, along with taking venturing into the unknown and replacing it with just star wars battles.....it was Trek on name only. I fear we'll enver see stories like Devil in the Dark, Where No One Has Gone Before, Where Silence has Lease, Time Squared, Home Soil, Masks, and so on anymore.....and just instead have a plethoria of Michael Bay (who's just as overrated, and that many longtime transformers fans hate with passion) type popcorn action stories made by a guy who said he never even liked Star Trek. It'd be like myself being asked to make either a Star Wars film or make a super hero film, both of which I care little for.

As for Willow, I'm not religious, so let the biblical folks get upset.....besides, I did not see the red headed infant part any oceans or lead folks around with a golden box.

Alien 3 also sucks, since besides killing off hair the characters from before in the first few minutes, making everything that happened in the previous fim be for nothing, i'm supposed to have some feeling of pity or saddness seeing a bunch of killers and rapists, just because they happened to find god?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:24 pm

Rust wrote:
The Castellan wrote:

Star Trek 2009, was Trek in name only

You must be joking.

TOS was pure camp ham the vast majority of the time, and it was only the byplay of the cast that let a person overlook the glaring flaws in the plots to make it work.

TOS '09 revived the Classic series in every way that truly mattered - it was pure camp fun that only worked thanks to the byplay between characters.

Quote :
Turning Kirk into an arrogant prick (JJ Kirk is like the fan wank characture of the kirk uber nerds habe of him running on some world, explosions all around him, phaser in one hand, a green woman around the other. Kirk from TOS, as I remember, was a pretty decent fellow, described by his peers as a grim pile of books with legs, and not some James Dean rebel wanna-be), Spock with obvious anger management issues, along with taking venturing into the unknown and replacing it with just star wars battles.....it was Trek on name only. I fear we'll enver see stories like Devil in the Dark, Where No One Has Gone Before, Where Silence has Lease, Time Squared, Home Soil, Masks, and so on anymore.....and just instead have a plethoria of Michael Bay (who's just as overrated, and that many longtime transformers fans hate with passion) type popcorn action stories made by a guy who said he never even liked Star Trek. It'd be like myself being asked to make either a Star Wars film or make a super hero film, both of which I care little for.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:35 pm

The Castellan wrote:
Turning Kirk into an arrogant prick (JJ Kirk is like the fan wank characture of the kirk uber nerds habe of him running on some world, explosions all around him, phaser in one hand, a green woman around the other. Kirk from TOS, as I remember, was a pretty decent fellow, described by his peers as a grim pile of books with legs, and not some James Dean rebel wanna-be),

o_O

This Kirk grew up without the influence of his father. I think some delinquency and poor attitude is excusable when his dad was often cited as the reason he went into Starfleet to begin with.

Furthermore - he went into Starfleet late in this time line. So yeah, I'd imagine a guy with a genius level IQ and zero masculine role models to be a bit of arrogant prick.

As for Kirk's promiscuity, that's well documented in TOS lore. It's hard to say that's "fan inspired" when he actually was trying to get into somebody's pants almost every week.

Quote :
Spock with obvious anger management issues,

"Jim, I just watched my home planet be destroyed. I can tell you - I am emotionally compromised."

Quote :
along with taking venturing into the unknown and replacing it with just star wars battles.....

*Eyes Insurrection and Nemesis*

You act like we never had those before. And if we want to talk about James Dean Rebel without a cause, how about the complete character shift of Picard from the TV Show to the Movies?

Quote :
I fear we'll enver see stories like Devil in the Dark, Where No One Has Gone Before, Where Silence has Lease, Time Squared, Home Soil, Masks, and so on anymore

And in between those episodes? A lot of forgettable Crap.

Star Trek is more dime store Sci-Fi then sweeping epic. You're lucky if you come out with more then two excellent episodes per season.

Quote :
.....and just instead have a plethoria of Michael Bay (who's just as overrated, and that many longtime transformers fans hate with passion) type popcorn action stories made by a guy who said he never even liked Star Trek.

#1) Michael Bay puts butts in seats. You can jump on the in vogue hatetrain all you'd like, but Bay's movies - with some exceptions - tend to rate very high in terms of popularity and he almost always brings his films in under budget. You can dislike the man's style all you'd like, but bottom line? He's a successful Director. And while it's cool to hate him for Transformers - he brought them to the big screen on a budget of $150 million dollars. That's downright impressive as all get out, and it's thanks to his movies' successes that Transformers fans have been experiencing a renaissance of toy love from Hasbro (Such as the Generations line, which incorporates new mold toys of classic characters).

#2) JJ Abrams never said he didn't like Star Trek. He said he preferred Star Wars growing up. Somehow, by admitting he preferred Lucas to Roddenberry, the mouth breathing masses of Trek Fandom decided he was the Anti-Christ.

Quote :
As for Willow, I'm not religious, so let the biblical folks get upset.....

I am religious and I made the joke.

Quote :
Alien 3 also sucks, since besides killing off hair the characters from before in the first few minutes, making everything that happened in the previous fim be for nothing, i'm supposed to have some feeling of pity or saddness seeing a bunch of killers and rapists, just because they happened to find god?

The Alien 3 that we were supposed to get (With Ripley, Newt, Hicks, and Bishop fending off a infestation aboard a Space Station) would have been glorious. Nigh impossible to do with the technology of that era (The climax featured Hicks and Ripley running along the outside of the station being chased by a literal horde of Xenomorphs), but it would have been glorious.

A lot of concepts and ideas for the original Alien 3 eventually found their way into the development of the game Dead Space.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:32 pm

NERDS!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:33 pm

I love web sites where I can go and talk nerdy to other people.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:21 am

that was of course an ode to ogre from the classic movie the revenge of the nerds. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Alabastyr

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2012-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:07 am

I am not a fan of Blade Runner-but I LOVE Rutger Hauer. The only scene in that whole movie that I can actually say got an actual response out of me was at the end when Hauer dies....

I hated all the Alien movies-don't know why, just hated them. Close Encounters was too darn long..and I am no fan of Dreyfus really. And after a while I wanted to blow up the keyboard and whatever else was playing that stupid scale...

In the hall of fame of bad Sci Fi there has to be a place for the movie that had Jason in outer space! I also was not a fan of the Matrix (cool idea, really bad lead actor...)I also really was less than impressed with the HitchHikers Guide Movie...I thought they could have done so much more!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: Worst Sci Fi Movies   Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:13 am

Now see, I personally find Jason X to be an amazing movie simply because it does a fantastic job of lampooning itself. ("Guys! It's okay! He just wanted his machete back!")

I don't think the movie ever intended to be taken seriously. It's definitely leagues above the atrocious Hellraiser in Space film.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Worst Sci Fi Movies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: