Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

Mary Tamm

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:49 pm

I only met her a couple of years ago at a convention and she looked as beautiful as she did on Dr Who. Such a sad loss. I agree, Cancer is just the worst thing.
Mary Tamm, RIP.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Time Dad

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Oh my God!!! I was just looking at her website 2 nights ago, wondering when her next book was going to be completed, and hoping I could go to a signing. How horribly awful, this is devastating, she was the most beautiful companion I'd ever seen, and always seemed to have such fun. I've always wanted a figure of her in her white dress from The Ribos Operation, she's always been my favorite. *cries* I hate wrongful death, I hate early death, I hate cancer. This is the worst.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:59 pm

Very sad news. Sad but can we merge this with the one in DW discussion. Wink
Back to top Go down
TheObsoleteMan

Number of posts : 256
Registration date : 2010-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:06 pm

RIP Romana I. Her elegance is unmatched by any companion before or since.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeminiPete

Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:10 pm

It is very sad, and I read that she had been particularly upset by Elisabeth Sladen's passing - gut wrenching to realize she was undoubtedly identifying with her from her own battle that we didn't even know about (or I didn't know).

I sometimes stop when I realize someday I will actually be dead. Hopefully not anything horrible but in this world you never know, but regardless of the how - I'll actually not be alive someday. That may sound odd to some, to those others of you who have had such introspective moments of realization you'll know what I mean. It's unsettling, and almost difficult to imagine - I mean really stop and think what it means. Some people have religious beliefs for comfort, I'm not sure what I believe anymore if anything, but truly unsettling to be a creature that can think about it's eventual non-existence.

Sorry to get all dark and analytical. But Davro has a point - and yes, this will unfortunately just keep happening to our beloved actors and actresses, just as it begins happening at some point to family and friends. Not that it really ever stops - we just become more aware of it, and even more so when you realize you're not getting any younger or more tragically when some unwelcome diagnosis is made. I guess it just freaks me out because it's one of those things you just can't outrun or truly ever win against. It's all temporary, in other words.

Ive always been a bit perplexed by how much research is done into diseases and such, but little done into hacking our genetic code on aging and cell division. I suppose it means most people either don't think about death the way I do, or possibly not at all, but would love to think we'll someday have an incredibly extended life, or some type of regeneration. Certainly not outside the realm of possibility, and just sort of an annoyance I wasnt born at some future time when such things will be reality. So I'll just have to make do with the teeny smidgen of time I have that is mostly taken up by working for companies and sleeping, with a frsutratingly smaller piece for myself which often centers around make believe worlds where the people can live seemingly forever and little plastic toy replicas of them. What a bizarre existence. But still one I'm grateful for.

My heart goes out to Mary Tamm and her loved ones and family that love her, and to all beings that make a brief sparkle in the void before we fade back into whatever god or unknowable force that allows us that brief existence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:24 pm

great post GeminiPete, I have my Christian faith that keeps me going and I wont talk more about it here our of respect to others, please don't be disrespectful to me in return. If you would like to talk about it then please PM me.

From the view of the Doctor, he has such a outside view on all things, he knows that were all a speck of light on the universe for just a second then were gone forever. Such a interesting point of view.
Back to top Go down
Who North America

Number of posts : 5642
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:54 pm

And we were going to have her as one of our guests sometime in the future - she was top on my list for a companion. The passing of a very elegant lady...... Sad

Jany
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whona.realtvboard.com
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:00 pm

Aw, crap. Sad

Sad to see a lot of the major 3rd-4th Doctor actors/actresses going so close together. It really shows the randomness of death that so many from the 70's have left us recently, while most the important actors/actresses from the 60's are still with us and looking very quite good.

I'll never forget the first time I saw her step out of the Tardis wearing the white coat in Ribos. Made quite the impression on me as a 10-year old.

Ronpur wrote:
Chuzzlewit wrote:

Oh dear. Just like Elizabeth Sladen, when we were expected Fourth Doctor audio plays with her and Tom Baker! Did Mary Tamm already record hers at least? What a sad, sad, sad day.

Yes, they were recorded. which I thought odd that it was done a year in advance of release. But now we know why.
They record them quite far in advance. They're currently record Tom's 3rd season, not due for release until 2014!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GeminiPete

Number of posts : 427
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:23 pm

davro wrote:
great post GeminiPete, I have my Christian faith that keeps me going and I wont talk more about it here our of respect to others, please don't be disrespectful to me in return. If you would like to talk about it then please PM me.

From the view of the Doctor, he has such a outside view on all things, he knows that were all a speck of light on the universe for just a second then were gone forever. Such a interesting point of view.

Thanks Davro and I would never belittle or ridicule anyone for their beliefs in regards to religion, after existence, et al - I hope I didn't give that impression, indeed just because I may be in an undecided state, even if I had some firm belief based in science, religion, etc it would still be just that - my belief. Facts on such subjects are, unfortunately, seemingly exceedingly difficult for most of us ephemeral beings to acquire. ;-)

But beliefs are fantastic - as varied and beautiful, sometimes as awful, as the myriad people who have them. Provided someone isn't oppressing or subjugating others with or because of beliefs (or any reason for that matter), then I usually find what people believe in - and why - fascinating, interesting and at times even comforting. I just wish we could truly KNOW and not have to believe, but for whatever reason, be it divine choice, the multiverses own methods of discovering itself, or plain ol "because there isn't anything else", we are left with little more than the ideas and relics of other people who have pondered, wondered, and believed something themselves, and of course the infinite strings of stars and galaxies at night as if to say "keep thinking". :-) I think the movie Prometheus has a fantastic line on belief - "Because I choose to believe".

In any case, I'll choose for now to believe there's some fantastically beautiful dimension just out of reach, infinitely near away :-) where the stars mingle with the Stars, and Elisabeth Sladen, Nicholas Courtney, and now Mary Tamm (and many others of course) are sitting in directors chairs made out of threads of galaxies recalling their shared time in that bizarre earthly realm on a television show called Doctor Who that often just managed to get fans to glimpse the greater More that is out there, where they have now all returned, and where we will all someday join them.

Rest in Peace All, whenever your time comes. For now, I think I'll go watch The Key To Time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:00 pm

i love the fact that so many people have such a varried system of beliefs. i think its groovie. i just think when it bleeds into to many topics it becomes too much, espcially now when religion and politics are so closely aligned it becomes hard to sperate the issues that get people into "it". but i think on a topic devoted to a beloved lady we can get by with a few spiritual messages. its when it's in the toy section that it becomes a bit silly. lol i am truely saddened that two very important things in peoples lives being religion and politics can't be disscussed rationally anymore but i guess the founders prob got in a few verbal fist fights back in the day. lol after my mom passed in november, ive been thinking we need to see the things that bring us together like this tradgedy instead of what divide us. wether your a religous person or not your just an a hole to try and take away someones comfort system when they are grieving Very Happy god,buddha,allaha,vishnu,yawy, the great space turtle,zeus, and bill hicks bless may tamm where ever she is. Very Happy now i have to go watch the pirate planet. wonder what douglas adams would say for mary tamm?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:54 pm

I don't think there is anything wrong with sharing religious/political beliefs in whatever circumstance. The whole point of a belief, opinion or view is to express it. I hate how 'politically correct' this world has become. People take what everyone else has to say about their beliefs too close to heart. The day you hinder yourself from talking about your beliefs and views is the day the essence of humanity dies. We're here for a reason, in my beliefs.

On another note, you are right about the age of the show. On one hand I feel really grateful to be a young Whovian in such a great time for the Doctor Who community, on the other hand it's sad to hear that so many people are passing on. I guess it has to happen one day, but we shouldn't reflect on the loss of a person but the great memories of when that person was still with us. Smile

Last edited by Scary on Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:27 pm

They may be passing on, but they will always live on in our hearts and the wonderful gift of the performance......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Mary Tamm and Liz Sladen's passing are personally terrifying and sad for me. In 2000, my mother was diagnosed with uteran cancer. She got over it, but I was only 19 at the time. My parents' mortality was something that I had never really thought about. It brought alot of things into focus.

In 2010, my mother was diagnosed with leukemia. So whenever I hear of someone passing from cancer, it serves as a reminder of how fragile and precious human life is. I am a Christian, but I can't shake the fear of losing those I love. But my faith has been a constant source of strength through these and other tough times.

Just my two cents. Not preaching or anything. Hope no one gets offended.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:27 pm

wow- I just go back from vacation and hear this news-
my childhood heroes are passing away...but what wonderful fond memories she has given us...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:27 am

mattmanw54301 wrote:

Just my two cents. Not preaching or anything. Hope no one gets offended.

Why would it be offensive?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:29 pm

It seems that whenever I mention my beliefs in real life, someone gets offended. So I thought I would put in a disclaimer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5898
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:33 pm

greenk9 wrote:
wow- I just go back from vacation and hear this news-
my childhood heroes are passing away...but what wonderful fond memories she has given us...

Agreed. And we will get one more 'season' from her and Tom to enjoy.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:42 pm

mattmanw54301 wrote:
It seems that whenever I mention my beliefs in real life, someone gets offended. So I thought I would put in a disclaimer.

That's bizarre. :/ Boo to political correctness.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5984
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:20 pm

I picked up Mary's signed autobiography at my visit to WhoNA and am anxious to read it.

http://www.whona.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=W&Product_Code=MTAMM1ST&Category_Code=BIOG
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:08 pm

Such a stunning beauty...
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Doctor Detroit

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:14 am

It as just been reported, that Mary's husband passed away a few hours after delivering the eulogy at her funeral, very sad indeed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CGren123

Number of posts : 2363
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:29 am

Doctor Detroit wrote:
It as just been reported, that Mary's husband passed away a few hours after delivering the eulogy at her funeral, very sad indeed.

Bloody heck. Their poor daughter.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:44 am

CGren123 wrote:
Doctor Detroit wrote:

Bloody heck. Their poor daughter.

How tragic. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:44 am

His heart could not live without the love of his life.......Rest in Peace together.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:47 am

Ronpur wrote:
His heart could not live without the love of his life.......Rest in Peace together.

Kind of like Johnny Cash after June Carter passed away...

So sad to die of a broken heart...
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mary Tamm   Today at 11:29 am

Back to top Go down

Mary Tamm
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: