Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Scary wrote:
The Doctor Who theme tune was played tonight at the Olympic ceremony. Could this have been what they meant by a big achievement?

The flame still hasn't been lit yet so it could be Tennant still. If it's not then Donna turned left and the Doctor died a couple of Christmases ago. It's the only reasonable explanation as to why he wouldn't light the flame tonight. Razz

What? When? I didn't hear that. But the way the NBC commentators were talking, it would have been easy to miss.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:44 pm

hitman hart wrote:
so no one else has read it yet? they had an online poll of best doctor and put the results in the mag which i think is complete crap. lol david got over like 59 % matt 16, tom 12, and all the other doctors got 5%. i know this is just an ew poll but i think most of the people who voted have only watched the new series! Very Happy

Eccleston also got 8% and the other seven (whom EW charmingly referred to as "The Rest") shared 5%. I wonder if the photo placement of "The Rest" reflected their ranking in the poll. With Davison "first" and McGann last, it seems likely.

hitman, I never thought I'd see Tom Baker beaten in a popularity poll either, but it's been over 30 years since his last episode and it's the current series that BBCAmerica is running 25 times a week. What I find interesting about the poll is Matt Smith's relatively poor showing. Yes, second place, but...wow. Maybe EW should've put Tennant on the cover!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:46 pm

Ronpur wrote:

What? When? I didn't hear that. But the way the NBC commentators were talking, it would have been easy to miss.

Very easy. Seems they like doing that for everything.
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:08 pm

NBC also edited the Opening Ceremony. A large section of the ceremony was cut out so they could run a Ryan Seacrest interview with Michael Phelps.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:22 pm

Scary wrote:
The Doctor Who theme tune was played tonight at the Olympic ceremony. Could this have been what they meant by a big achievement?

Did that actually happen? I know I didn't hear it, and people were saying that playing the theme was part of the proposed plan, but it got taken off the schedule for time constraints.

Only thing I had read that happened was the TARDIS effect being played during the Bohemian Rhapsody segment, and I didn't catch it either.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:46 pm

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
Calixar wrote:
But are you really a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal for Doctor Who?

I think that describes only a handful of posters on this forum. Admittedly, I'm not one of them. I have extreme enthusiasm but I'm not uncritical. And again, I do not bite off the heads of live chickens. Neutral

I was just playing... since you went with the strict definition of geek, I figured I throw in the same for fan(atic). It might have been funnier if I'd stuck with fan.... hmmm.... cyclops
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Scary

Number of posts : 7474
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:35 am

I have no honest idea. I'm just going by what I've been told by others. I did hear the TARDIS sound effect myself, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:38 am

Missed any Dr Who reference. Would have paid closer attention if I'd known! TBH, I was way too busy being blown away by the spectacular event itself! A triumph!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:40 am

mattmanw54301 wrote:
Gallifreys Loss wrote:
I've always loved the way EW does their covers...some of them are just absolutely stunning by magazine cover standards. I've still got a framed copy of the magazine they put out after Kurt Cobain's death and that cover is still one of the best photos out there of Cobain.

I'll definitely be picking up the DW issue. Probably buy one to frame as well. Anyone else slightly annoyed at that "cult of Doctor Who" bit? I don't know why, but it bugs me.

He...DW on EW.

I was a little miffed at that too. It was the number 1 show downloaded via Itunes for season 6 in America. I think it's too big to be called a 'cult' show. Darnit.

I've always read the "cult" label as meaning a show or movie didn't do so well upon it's release, was cancelled or pulled early, and later found a large following via DVD sales and syndication. That's not the case with Doctor Who; It was incredibly popular in the 80s and since the reboot, that popularity has been growing. Until recently you didn't have celebrities pulling the Doctor Who card to gain popularity with the youth and the media wasn't giving it half as much attention, but the fanbase was still there. To call it a "cult" kinda belittles all the long time fans in favor of the New-Whovians.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:53 am

In this case, I think "cult" may mean - to passionately follow?

It's a shame that many words adopt many meanings - some less encouraging than others!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5965
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:23 pm

My copy of EW was waiting for me when I got home. I very much liked the article.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:51 pm

A week after the Doctor Who cover, Entertainment Weekly has put another 50-year-old British institution on its cover...the James Bond film franchise. But the main image isn't of Daniel Craig, the current Bond...it's Sean Connery! The other Bonds have smaller photos inset down the left side of the cover.

Interesting how the current actor isn't the focus, but rather an actor who last played Bond 30 years ago. Maybe EW could've put Tom Baker on the Who cover after all. Heh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:07 pm

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
A week after the Doctor Who cover, Entertainment Weekly has put another 50-year-old British institution on its cover...the James Bond film franchise. But the main image isn't of Daniel Craig, the current Bond...it's Sean Connery! The other Bonds have smaller photos inset down the left side of the cover.

Interesting how the current actor isn't the focus, but rather an actor who last played Bond 30 years ago. Maybe EW could've put Tom Baker on the Who cover after all. Heh.

They must have set up the cover before Craig jumped out of a helicopter with the Queen!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: