Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
guvnagrover

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2012-05-06

PostSubject: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:17 am

On Facebook today, BBC America said:

"Big achievement for 'Doctor Who' to be announced today...stay tuned!"

Wonder what it could be...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Meow

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2012-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:26 am

Well some Doctor Who thing is happening at the Olympics... Maybe something to do with that? Could David actually light the flame? (That I would love to see... Razz )
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:44 am

Meow wrote:
Well some Doctor Who thing is happening at the Olympics... Maybe something to do with that? Could David actually light the flame? (That I would love to see... Razz )

That would be awesome!! But alas, I'm not going to get my hopes up for that...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Welp, here is the achievement per Ain't It Cool News:

Here's the DOCTOR WHO themed over of the Entertainment Weekly which'll hit newsstands this Friday. I'm told this is the first time a British television show has ever featured on the publication's cover - this is long overdue, and I can't think of a better way to launch (what I hope will be) a trend.

Per Entertainment Weekly:

How do you know when a TV show has become a cult phenomenon? When its (often comparatively small) ratings are eclipsed by the wild ardor of its fans. Take the case of the British science fiction show Doctor Who, whose current lead, Matt Smith, is this week’s cover star. The now 49-year-old Who is hugely popular in its homeland but has always enjoyed a more select appeal here — not that you know that from the devotion of U.S.-based “Whovians.” In 1983, 7,000 people attended a Doctor Who convention in Chicago and over the past couple of years the time-traveling “Doctor” has received a bordering-on-the-absurd number of onscreen shout-outs from Community, Criminal Minds, Craig Ferguson’s The Late Late Show, Supernatural, and Grey’s Anatomy, whose creator, Shonda Rhimes, describes herself as a “psychotic” follower of Matt Smith’s time travel adventures in this week’s cover story. “It’s not an obscure show anymore,” says executive producer Steven Moffat. “It’s not even a ‘British import.’ It’s just Doctor Who.”

Has the time finally come for the so-called “Time Lord” to break big in America? Could be. The Doctor Who team has assiduously courted fans here with a succession of publicity appearances, including a panel at this year’s Comic-Con where Whovians paid homage to Smith’s red-haired costar Karen Gillan by donning ginger wigs. (No. 2 way you know a TV show has become a cult favorite? When fans start dressing as characters.) In June 2011, the show’s U.S. broadcaster BBC America enjoyed its best ever ratings with the premiere episode of the sixth season since Doctor Who was revived in 2005, following a 16 year hiatus. The new season, which debuts later this summer, may well be the most eagerly anticipated ever as the Doctor prepares to say goodbye to his two trusty and beloved-by-fans “companions,” Gillan’s Amy Pond and Arthur Darvill’s Rory Williams. In the cover story we track the ups and downs of the show’s remarkable half-century history and preview the new episodes with help from Smith, Gillan, Darvill, and exec producer, Steven Moffat.

Want more awesome small screen weirdness? Then check out our list of the 25 Best Cult TV Shows From the Past 25 years, in which we explain the devotion shown to such culty whippersnappers (at least by Who standards) as Fringe, Twin Peaks, The Comeback, Archer, Community, Firefly, Arrested Development, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Click here to buy the new issue, on stands this Friday.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/07/25/doctor-who-best-cult-tv-shows/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Meow

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2012-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:44 pm

Sorry but I have never heard of this magazine. Is it really that big for Who to get featured in it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:47 pm

Meow wrote:
Sorry but I have never heard of this magazine. Is it really that big for Who to get featured in it?

It's a US entertainment magazine. I used to read it a lot, but haven't in a few years; it's been around since 1990 and still in publication, so I guess it's a big deal for Who to be recognized.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Matesamo

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-07-01

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:15 pm

It is a stunning achievement, it is the biggest entertainment magazine in the United States and there are not very many stores & libraries in the country that do not carry it. You can walk into just about any gas station, Wal-Mart, 7-11 or newsstand and if they sell magazines then they probably sell EW.

To be honest, when I first saw the cover I assumed it was a photoshopped fake as I NEVER would have thought Doctor Who would make the cover.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:13 pm

Yes, this is big, EW is a huge magazine!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 pm

And I shall hopefully be buying! Smile Bout time I get something I don't need to pay shipping for. Laughing Which may be Fri or Mon. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:09 pm

my dad has a subscription so i already have mine. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:51 pm

The Doctor Who theme tune was played tonight at the Olympic ceremony. Could this have been what they meant by a big achievement?

The flame still hasn't been lit yet so it could be Tennant still. If it's not then Donna turned left and the Doctor died a couple of Christmases ago. It's the only reasonable explanation as to why he wouldn't light the flame tonight. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:01 pm

I've read the article (8 pages!) and have to say it was rather well-done. While a lot of the focus is on the current show (as it should be), every TV Doctor gets at least one photo and even some classic companions get their names dropped.

Don't want to spoil the content for anyone...just wanted to let fans that may not care for the current state of the show know that this magazine is still worth picking up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Oh I can not wait to watch this now! Taping it! Very Happy COME ON BE MATT AGAIN!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:47 am

Breaking news: Doctor Who Fails To Light Up The 2012 Olympics Opening Ceremonies, Universe Destroyed

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/07/27/2012-olympics-doctor-who/
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:03 am

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/07/27/2012-olympics-doctor-who/

I can't tell if parts of this are meant to be serious, but I really hope not. I don't know what they expected would happen.
Back to top Go down
Gallifreys Loss

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2012-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:40 pm

I've always loved the way EW does their covers...some of them are just absolutely stunning by magazine cover standards. I've still got a framed copy of the magazine they put out after Kurt Cobain's death and that cover is still one of the best photos out there of Cobain.

I'll definitely be picking up the DW issue. Probably buy one to frame as well. Anyone else slightly annoyed at that "cult of Doctor Who" bit? I don't know why, but it bugs me.

He...DW on EW.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:37 pm

Let's hope I can get this Monday. Smile
Back to top Go down
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:50 pm

Gallifreys Loss wrote:
I've always loved the way EW does their covers...some of them are just absolutely stunning by magazine cover standards. I've still got a framed copy of the magazine they put out after Kurt Cobain's death and that cover is still one of the best photos out there of Cobain.

I'll definitely be picking up the DW issue. Probably buy one to frame as well. Anyone else slightly annoyed at that "cult of Doctor Who" bit? I don't know why, but it bugs me.

He...DW on EW.

I was a little miffed at that too. It was the number 1 show downloaded via Itunes for season 6 in America. I think it's too big to be called a 'cult' show. Darnit.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:17 pm

mattmanw54301 wrote:

I was a little miffed at that too. It was the number 1 show downloaded via Itunes for season 6 in America. I think it's too big to be called a 'cult' show. Darnit.

I know, I think any show with this kind of fantasy element will always be called that, there'll always be this general belief that it's got this certain cult audience even if, especially with the new series of Doctor Who, that most definitely isn't the case. I see why you guys are annoyed at it.
Back to top Go down
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:20 pm

When you look at their list of "Top 25 cult shows", they've got "X-Files," "Lost," "Buffy," even "ST:TNG"...it seems they're using the term "cult" to mean "intensely devoted fandom." And when you look at the American viewing numbers...the article says last season's premiere got 1.3 million, which is good for cable but lousy by "broadcast network" standards...I think they had to use the term to justify putting "Doctor Who" on the cover.

"Cult" doesn't bother me...I'm more annoyed by the continual misuse of the term "geek." I'm a "Doctor Who" fan of long-standing but have never bitten the head off a live chicken. I call foul, EW! Mad

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:36 am

But are you really a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal for Doctor Who?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:22 am

so no one else has read it yet? they had an online poll of best doctor and put the results in the mag which i think is complete crap. lol david got over like 59 % matt 16, tom 12, and all the other doctors got 5%. i know this is just an ew poll but i think most of the people who voted have only watched the new series! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:36 pm

hitman hart wrote:
so no one else has read it yet? they had an online poll of best doctor and put the results in the mag which i think is complete crap. lol david got over like 59 % matt 16, tom 12, and all the other doctors got 5%. i know this is just an ew poll but i think most of the people who voted have only watched the new series! Very Happy

I agree that most people who participated in the poll only pretty much watches the new series. While Tennant is one of my favs, he falls behind Tom and Jon for me.

Keep in mind that EW is a US magazine and WHO has never gotten as much exposure in the States as it has since its return. Back in the day it was just a little show that one would see on PBS or some local affiliate. These days its all over the place - started on the Sci-Fi (or Syfy) channel, now BBC America, promotion on US talk shows, etc. Plus the beeb isn't 'embarrassed' by the show as it had been in the past and promote the heck out of it now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Calixar wrote:
But are you really a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal for Doctor Who?

I think that describes only a handful of posters on this forum. Admittedly, I'm not one of them. I have extreme enthusiasm but I'm not uncritical. And again, I do not bite off the heads of live chickens. Neutral
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?   Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:27 pm

I got mine Friday and read it. Except for that weird poll, it was a pretty good article. And a great cover.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Big Achievement for 'Doctor Who'?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: