Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:27 pm

Both are canon. Unlike the Sam Raimi movie, the robber didn't die when Peter caught him. Issue 200 has the robber out of jail and committing crimes again.

In this one, Spider-Man faces him off when he kidnaps Aunt May and manages to make him panic. At the end, he dies of heart failure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2141
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Hmm, I'll have to read dat one....If I can find a reprint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:48 pm

I bought what was, at the time, a complete digital run of Amazing Spider-Man on a DVD-ROM.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
bret_owen99 wrote:
So just a question I want to throw out there. Anyone who liked the new Spider-Man, did you also like the tv show Friends?

No. What does that have to do with it?

just a survey
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior

Number of posts : 3939
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:18 pm

I liked the reboot for several reasons:

1. The lizard is a great villian no matter how you slice it.

2. The web shooters. . .
Spoiler:

3. I also enjoyed peter's interaction with flash. . .

What I didn't like:

Spoiler:

And don't get me started on rami's 3rd movie. . .major disappointment in my opinion. . .especially that ending. . .at least this one had a good webslinging ending. . .
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:02 pm

timewarrior wrote:
I liked the reboot for several reasons:

1. The lizard is a great villian no matter how you slice it.

2. The web shooters. . .
Spoiler:

3. I also enjoyed peter's interaction with flash. . .

What I didn't like:

Spoiler:

And don't get me started on rami's 3rd movie. . .major disappointment in my opinion. . .especially that ending. . .at least this one had a good webslinging ending. . .
Spoiler:

Thought they could have done a much better job with the Lizard. Difference between Raimi's Spider-Man and this one: being beaten up every 5 minutes. I go to a Super Hero Movie to see a Super Hero, not a kid get his tail handed to him by the Goomba from the Super Mario Bros. Movie. (Honestly, if you play video games, they did the Lizard really well in the Spider-Man 3 Video game. Don't know why they couldn't have gone more with that look).

The Flash thing really bothered me for a couple of reasons. Peter was more of a Jock in this one, or at least interacted with them. To a point where Flash became his pal (after Peter beat him up). I guess there is honor among bullies. In the Raimi films they never became friends, because Flash was a Jock, and Peter was actually a nerd, not a quasi emo semi sport cool kid.

As far as the ending of the 3rd film, I really didn't see anything wrong with it. It did tie up any loose ends, and if they had done a 4th film, I would have liked to have started that off with Mary Jane and Peter getting married, since they had worked out most of their problems. The studio tried to make Raimi bring in the Black Cat, to create another Love Triangle (something Raimi had already done in 3), and he refused. I think he knew the direction the film needed to go in, but the Studio wanted to create more drama.

As far as people's concerns of Venom, he was originally a small character. The first time he appeared, Spider-Man beat him. I really feel that Raimi was true to the character of Venom, even though he changed Eddie Brock to be more like the Ultimate Universe (a mirror image of Peter Parker).

I think the only thing I didn't like about the 3rd Raimi film was the fact that Danny Elfman did not do the whole soundtrack. After the 2nd film, Raimi and he had a falling out. He provided some of the score for the 3rd film, but another person did most of the score. Even that film had a better score than this (which I barely even heard).

It was really trying too hard to be dark like Batman in my opinion. His parents, his Uncle's murderer, police shooting at him every 5 seconds, just did not seem like Spider-Man to me. I know it's made a ton of money, and there will probably be at least 2 sequels, but I won't waste my time on them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Invisible Supreme

Number of posts : 2141
Registration date : 2010-03-16

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:36 am

There's one other thing I didn't like.

The intro titles. They were sooooo short! I mean, the Raimi ones were beautifuly done, especially with the music. This one....was just 5 seconds and there was barely any music.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:32 pm

Invisible Supreme wrote:
There's one other thing I didn't like.

The intro titles. They were sooooo short! I mean, the Raimi ones were beautifuly done, especially with the music. This one....was just 5 seconds and there was barely any music.

Two things: First, any movie with Danny Elfman will have an Amazing Title Sequence. Even Ang Lee's Hulk had great Title Music.

Second: The second and third Spider-Man film played little clips during the title's to let you know what happened in the previous movie/s. Really gave it a comic book feel for me. I hardly expect the next Amazing Spider-Man to do that, and it really loses the magic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:47 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Well the more ignorant his audience is the more Sherlock locks like a genius so that totally works in his favor.

ha!!!! lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:23 am

Saw it on Sunday, but overall, I didn't like it. It was too grim for Spider-Man, and all the stuff with his parents seemed to overcomplicate things.

And in my opinion, Andrew Garfield is just not Peter Parker.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
D4L3K

Number of posts : 1038
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:33 pm

I loved it, and Garfield made me like Spiderman for the first time.
Buying it on bluray 3D for sure.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1815
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:26 pm

http://www.the-editing-room.com/the-amazing-spider-man.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:07 pm

I couldn't take the movie seriously once I saw the Lizard.

The dude's got the same design as the Goombas from the Super Mario Bros. Movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:56 pm

Rust wrote:
I couldn't take the movie seriously once I saw the Lizard.

The dude's got the same design as the Goombas from the Super Mario Bros. Movie.

There's a low budget horror movie that came out last year called 'Creature'. That did a better job with a lizard man. It's sad that Hollywood with all it's CGI and FX money still can't do things they were doing with practical makeup 20 or 30 years ago.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:20 pm

It also killed my enjoyment of SyFy's "Face Off", since one of the judges credentials was touted as having worked on The Amazing Spider-Man. Frankly, all the contestants did better work then the Lizard, so it invalidated her input really.

Also, as much as I love Martin Sheen as an actor - he was badly miscast in this film. Martin has a "presence" about him - a dignity. It's what made him literally steal the show on The West Wing (Seriously, the show was supposed to be about the Cabinet and staff, not the President. Martin Sheen's performance in the pilot made them change the focus to include the President as an actual character rather then a cameo a few times a season).

That doesn't work for Uncle Ben.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:21 pm

Both Uncle Ben and Aunt May were cast badly in this remake. Cliff Robertson had me to the point of tears in all 3 of Raimi's films and Aunt May (the actress escapes me) was a perfect blend of all knowing wise woman, and blissfully ignorant older guardian.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:28 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
Both Uncle Ben and Aunt May were cast badly in this remake. Cliff Robertson had me to the point of tears in all 3 of Raimi's films and Aunt May (the actress escapes me) was a perfect blend of all knowing wise woman, and blissfully ignorant older guardian.
I'm actually pretty sure that Aunt May pieced together that Peter is Spider-Man in Spider-Man 2 (there's a moment while Spider-Man saves her from Doc Ock and he yells, "I'm coming, Aunt May!" and she looks a little surprised: how did Spider-Man know her name, and why did he call her "Aunt?"), she just wasn't telling Peter she knew outright. Some of her dialogue takes on a whole new level of depth with this in mind.

But I do agree. The entire Parker family just didn't look right to me in the new movie.

(Holy cow! I'm agreeing with bret on something!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:32 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:

Rosemary Harris. And yeah, both she and Cliff were basically THE Aunt May and Uncle Ben. Heck, she's the only reason I stomached Spider-Man 2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:36 am

jaredofmo wrote:
bret_owen99 wrote:
I'm actually pretty sure that Aunt May pieced together that Peter is Spider-Man in Spider-Man 2 (there's a moment while Spider-Man saves her from Doc Ock and he yells, "I'm coming, Aunt May!" and she looks a little surprised: how did Spider-Man know her name, and why did he call her "Aunt?"), she just wasn't telling Peter she knew outright. Some of her dialogue takes on a whole new level of depth with this in mind.

But I do agree. The entire Parker family just didn't look right to me in the new movie.

(Holy cow! I'm agreeing with bret on something!)

Absolutely agree with you that she had it figured out by Spider-Man 2, but she didn't let that onto Peter, or to the Audience (where in the Amazing Spider-Man, it is hammered into our heads by the end of the movie).

She was almost what a perfect mother should be, someone who knows something, and gives advice, without prodding or intruding too much. That's what made her great. Not someone just yelling or being up in his face (Amazing Spider-Man).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:39 am

Seriously, Aunt May in the new movie kept yelling at Peter, then he does one thing right, and she's all supportive of him. I can appreciate that she sees that he's trying to be a good nephew, but that's a big 180 there...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:59 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Seriously, Aunt May in the new movie kept yelling at Peter, then he does one thing right, and she's all supportive of him. I can appreciate that she sees that he's trying to be a good nephew, but that's a big 180 there...

I could be wrong, but this movie was made for a 'Young Audience'. So the parents/Uncle Ben and Aunt May had to be the 'bad guys' who always yelled at him and just didn't understand him.

Like most new movies today, I felt like an old man. Peter Parker came off as a whiny, snot nosed little emo punk, and I didn't really care if he lived or died, while all the Adults were angry, yell-at-you, not understanding 'bad guys'.

BTW, found out that Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone are dating in real life, so it pretty much backs up my review of the movie. Real movie 'chemisty' is between two people who are not involved in real life, but make you believe it is real for the movie. An actor and actress who are basically all over in real life, and it spills onto the screen, is not acting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Pfft. It's probably the same kind of Celebrity stunt in the vein of the Twilight Stars. "Oh we're in love and so happy tee-hee...what's that? The final movie's coming out? THANK GOD we can start dating other people again!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1815
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ-94iddwbI&list=UUkan4ZKlryf94OFFZc53Ojg&index=1&feature=plcp
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
cakejedi

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:24 am

I just saw the movie for the second time and actually enjoyed it more the second time around. I am a fan of the Raimi movies. His first Spiderman is one of my favorite comic book movies ever. But the one thing that this movie does that is so much better is Peter's girlfriend. I like Mary Jane, but her only purpose in the movies seemed to be to get captured by the bad guy so SPidey could resue her. Gwen, on the ohter hand, was an intelligent and strong character that woked WITH Peter in defeating the Lizard. For that alone I rate this remake better than the Raimi movies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

PostSubject: Re: The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage   Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:04 pm

cakejedi wrote:
I just saw the movie for the second time and actually enjoyed it more the second time around. I am a fan of the Raimi movies. His first Spiderman is one of my favorite comic book movies ever. But the one thing that this movie does that is so much better is Peter's girlfriend. I like Mary Jane, but her only purpose in the movies seemed to be to get captured by the bad guy so SPidey could resue her. Gwen, on the ohter hand, was an intelligent and strong character that woked WITH Peter in defeating the Lizard. For that alone I rate this remake better than the Raimi movies.

If that's your preference, I can see why you would feel that way. The 'Damsel in Distress' is not new, it's been used forever. Comic Books, which in the early days were primarily aimed at young boys, would use that to fuel their ambition to the Super Hero, so that they could save the girl, and be the Man.

It's no different than stories like Snow White or Little Red Riding Hood, which included the characters of the Huntsman and the Woodcutter to save the day.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Not so Amazing Spider....garbage
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: