Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Torchwood

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:42 pm

Any word on a DVD release in the US?

Though I must admit I am not completely sure I will purchase it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJSchmidt

Number of posts : 618
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:40 pm

I read an article discussing Torchwoods move to BBC2. Apparently, the tone of the show will be more upbeat and we can expect a little more action and the overall quality should go up a notch. Its move to BBC2 will probably mean a little more realistic handling of "relationships" between characters too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cinnur

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:56 pm

I thought something about the show just did not fully click.

wonder how well the show would have gone over without the Doctor Who connection?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CJSchmidt

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:16 pm

My problem is that I can't identify with a single character on the show. Every single one of them except Jack is an over-sexed, self-obsessed, idiot and Jack is bitter and frustrating.

My thoughts on fixing Torchwood:
1. Give us the Jack from Doctor Who
2. Make at least 1/2 the team likable
3. Teamwork. Try it.
4. Less silly sex scenes
5. More fun.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cinnur

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:41 pm

I think Jack is a real big part of the problem, he is not fun like in DW!

It often seems to try so hard to be adult, and just falls flat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:59 pm

Captain Jack wrote:
Why, oh Why does everyone assume that it's the Doctor's Tardis at the end of Torchwood Series 1?

No, I don't have any info, I just like to stir stuff up tongue

Late to the party but...this is explained in DW Season 3, and if you saw the finale of Torchwood, then not only did you hear the sound, you may have noticed a glowing appendage too.
Aalll wiilll bee revealed...ooohhhh....(Yeah, doesn't work without creepy music.)

CJSchmidt wrote:
My problem is that I can't identify with a single character on the show. Every single* bounce

I have to agree with this...I get the feeling the writing and character development would have benefited from this series not debuting until after Season 3 of Who.

Spoiler Alert for Who Fans who HAVE NOT seen all of the third season...
Spoiler:

*wrong board...used to using a words smiley to shorten quotes.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregtdj

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:33 pm

I hate to double post, but to good to pass up since it's news about the 2nd season currently under production. James Marsters and Alan Dale will both be making appearances. News link from BBC below. Story quoted to save you browse time.

Buffy star's joy at Torchwood job
Quote :

Former Buffy star James Marsters and ex-Neighbours actor Alan Dale have spoken of their excitement at starring in the BBC TV series Torchwood.

Marsters, who played Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer, said he was "a big fan" of the Doctor Who spin-off.

And Dale, who used to play Jim Robinson in Neighbours and has recently been in The OC and Ugly Betty in the US, said he was "thrilled" to be in the show.

Filming for the new Torchwood series is currently under way in Cardiff.

The alien-chasing series, starring John Barrowman and Eve Myles, is expected to be shown in 2008 and Marsters is set to guest star in the first episode.

The actor, who starred as a goth vampire in both the cult US series Buffy and its spin-off Angel, said he was "really excited" about his character.

"I can't say too much about him, except he is naughty and a bit of a psychopath," he said.

"I am a huge fan of Doctor Who and Torchwood so it was me who knocked on their door."

And Dale, who has also appeared in Lost and The West Wing, said he was delighted to be back in the UK.

"I am thrilled to be working on Torchwood - I am a huge fan of British television drama."

The cast will also be joined by Freema Agyeman who has been travelling in the tardis as David Tennant's assistant Martha Jones in the last series of Doctor Who.

Agyeman said it was "a huge new challenge" and she could not wait to start filming.

Created by Russell T Davies, the first series of Torchwood introduced a team of investigators based at a secret headquarters in Cardiff Bay and also featured Burn Gorman, Naoko Mori and Gareth David-Lloyd.

Marsters' role sounds like it could be interesting, maybe a recurring character? And in line with the thoughts above Barrowman spoke on the 2nd season to SciFi Wire....

Torchwood Secrets To Be Revealed

Quote :
John Barrowman, who plays Captain Jack on the BBC Two's Doctor Who spinoff Torchwood, told SCI FI Wire that the upcoming second season will reveal more about his character's complicated backstory.

"Every day I come in, or every new script I get, I learn something new about my character, which keeps it fresh," Barrowman said in an interview at the Television Critics Association summer press tour in Beverly Hills, Calif., on July 13. "And it means that when I play things, I play them differently, because I know different things about him now."

The character of Captain Jack was introduced in a two-part episode of Doctor Who and went on to appear in the final five episodes of the first season. Later, he become the leader of a secret organization at the center of the spinoff show, Torchwood. How he got from one place and time to the other is a mystery that will gradually unfold over the course of Torchwood's second season.

"You don't know the exact date when Jack returned yet," Barrowman said. "We do know he was left on Satellite Five [at the end of season one of Doctor Who]. He was brought back to life. He then came back to Earth and arrived back in another time and had to live through it to get to the point where the Doctor came back. In [season] two of Torchwood, there's some of that revealed."

In his performance, Barrowman is also now bearing in mind an intriguing new piece of information about the character, which was slipped into the end of the recent third season of Doctor Who (currently airing on SCI FI Channel). He couldn't talk about the twist in specifics, but he did say that it came as a shock, not only to him, but also to co-star David Tennant, who plays the Doctor.

"It's always something that takes you by surprise, otherwise it wouldn't be fiction," Barrowman said. "And I love that. And that script, when it came out, David read it. We were filming at the time, and he came running to my trailer and he went, 'F--k me. Have you read this?' And I went, 'No.' And he went, 'Oh, my God. Hurry up.' I went, 'Shut up and get out of my trailer. I'm not reading it yet.' ... So then I read it, and on a lunch break I ran to his trailer and knocked on the door, and he went, 'Well?' And I went, 'F--k me!' But it's absolutely brilliant."

Season two of Torchwood will also further develop the character of Martha Jones, played by Freema Agyeman, who will be making a guest appearance in three episodes.

"It's a perfect progression for her character," Barrowman said. "Because she develops such a strong character by the end of [season] three. So if Jack needs help, who else is he going to call? Jack trusted her to save the world. So did the Doctor. So who are you going to call? Martha Jones."

It's like waiting for Christmas after a tease like that. Sounds like the Who Jack may be replacing, if not merging with the 1st season Torchwood Jack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1815
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:04 am

I finally saw the pilot, albeit with all the sex edited out for the safety of my wee Yank mind. I thought it was supposed to explain how Jack got off Satellite 5 and joined modern day Torchwood. It's a shame that they killed off the most interesting character Susan. She would've made a great companion as the opposite of the sunny and naive girls the Doctor has been picking up. Will they be referencing the royal Werewolves as the power behind Torchwood and arch-nemeses of the Doctor? The pterodactyl was keen (mayhaps a Primeval cross-over is coming?). The Ianto actor played another guy named Ianto in another RTD show; are they supposed to be the same character?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:48 am

If you liked Susan... keep watching the show. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
CJSchmidt

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:46 pm

Usually not a big fan of editing things down for the states, but I would be interested to hear if the cutting helped in this case? Anyone seen both?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:54 pm

After seeing the first episode is was mediocre. I too was hoping more for a lead in to how jack has come to lead torchwood. I assume he can't die and this has something to do with his re-animation buy Rose? Or is this explain later in DWseason 3? It's different and related to Who so I MUST KEEP WATCHING.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:28 am

I saw them a long time ago but dont have BBC America so cant tell you. I dont recall episode one being all that great although Jack getting the bullet in the head startled the zygons out of me.
Back to top Go down
gregtdj

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:10 pm

LakeErieMonster wrote:
I too was hoping more for a lead in to how jack has come to lead torchwood. I assume he can't die and this has something to do with his re-animation buy Rose? Or is this explain later in DWseason 3?

If you are the impatient type then read through the season 3 spoilers...otherwise keep watching DW Season 3. That's where Jack's backstory is fully revealed. I'm not about to spoil it here so go there.

As for Torchwood the original intent was the story of the character Gwen. Captain Jack got written in later, but somewhere (interview for DW, a magazine, a blurb for torchwood) RTD made it known that he had been so impressed with Eve Myles' performance in the "unquite dead" from DW season 1 that he tailored the show for her. They focus more on her entrance and acceptance into this organization than they do with Jack, at least until the last few eps.

Alas, I also missed the airing on BBCA, but I got the vibe from the promos the only thing really cut was the excessive language. The promo had a clip from the 2nd show that involved a little stronger sexual situation than you'd see on broadcast tv, maybe only on HBO or Showtime.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallGrrl

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Sun Sep 16, 2007 12:41 pm

englishrose wrote:
I, for one, like the group dynamic among the Torchwood Cardiff team.
They are identifiable people with personal agendas and each is harboring secrets from the others and are easily prone to one of the seven deadly sins.
They ironically are the last people who should be in a position of such importance but due to their outsider status they are ideally psychologically suited for the task.

You hit the nail on the head for me, englishrose.
These people, faults and all, are the best people for their jobs.
I love it that, for once, a team of people isn't all "We're a big, happy, crime-fightin' family and we all love each other so much and we're so perfect and happy!"
These people, including newcomer Gwen, is flawed. (Don't forget: Gwen starts lying to Rhys the first night she sees the Torchwood team in action. Hmmmmm......) And in the very first episode, we see that this team has some problems. Problems that Jack isn't even aware of.
But they all manage to come together and form this incredible team.
I enjoyed Torchwood Season 1 and am looking forward to Season 2. Very Happy

Oh! And they're cutting for language? WTF?! Wait'll they get to the last episode. As far as I'm concerned, I don't think the language in this thing is excessive at all. It's appropriate for character and situation.
And as far as sexual content? "Out of Time".
That's all I'm sayin'.
If they cut ANYTHING it's gonna be totally missing the point.
I'm just sayin'.

And one more thing:
Quote :
The cast will also be joined by Freema Agyeman who has been travelling in the tardis as David Tennant's assistant Martha Jones in the last series of Doctor Who.

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallGrrl

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:15 pm

CJSchmidt wrote:
My problem is that I can't identify with a single character on the show. Every single one of them except Jack is an over-sexed, self-obsessed, idiot and Jack is bitter and frustrating.

And the problem is...what, exactly?
I don't know about you, but I don't expect to "identify" with characters. Being a Black female in the U.S. kinda makes that a futile exercise. Extremely futile.
Believe me: I don't "identify" with any of them either. But I love 'em!
Yes, the Torchwood team is in no way "perfect", but they're HUMAN BEINGS...which is something Jack is not...or is now not.
Yes, Owen is over-sexed. (Wait'll Episode 10.)
Yes, they're self-obsessed. None of them has a "real" life, and if they did, their involvement with Torchwood put an end to that. (Wait'll you see the last 2 episodes of the season.)
As for the "idiot" part? They couldn't do their jobs if they were idiots.
As for Jack? He's not perfect, either. He's not quite "human" either. He's rather bemused by how his team behaves. Keep watching.
Me? I don't need my heroes to be likeable.The Torchwood team isn't always likeable, but they're definitely 'heroes'. They at least try to do the right thing. Sometimes when they do, it's not all good.
Hell, The Doctor isn't totally "likeable" all the time either.
Torchwood's only, what, 3 shows in? You've got 13 shows in the season.
I recommend you keep watching.
And be a little uncomfortable sometimes. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallGrrl

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:18 pm

CJSchmidt wrote:
Usually not a big fan of editing things down for the states, but I would be interested to hear if the cutting helped in this case? Anyone seen both?

Any editing craps up the show.
In my mind, the episodes should be seen as they're meant to be seen: Intact.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallGrrl

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:19 pm

cinnur wrote:
Any word on a DVD release in the US?

Though I must admit I am not completely sure I will purchase it.

If it doesn't become available in the US, do what I did: BT, baby, BT.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregtdj

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:12 pm

BBC America January 26 2008

SEASON 2 BEGINS!!!

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/23/anglophenia.jsp?bc_id=739
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ozjenny

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2007-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:13 am

Er, are we going to be discussing the new episodes as they air in the UK? Or waiting until they air in the US? I don't want to be Bad Spoiler Girl if people would rather wait.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amagon

Number of posts : 2725
Registration date : 2007-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:00 am

Just put SPOILER in the message, so they can decide. I don't mind personally, as it gives me an edge over the others!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:54 am

For some reason I havent gotten that much into Torchwood. I know I am an sorry philistine for saying so. The one episode that got me was Cyberwoman, and not just because she was hot!, although that was a good part of it, but that ending really hit me emotionally.

Some of the other episodes would have made Robert Holmes proud. The rip off of an old Outer Limits episode, The Texas Chainsaw massacre. I havent really watched them in months.

I will go back and do so the next few weeks to remind myself of what it is all about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:42 pm

england have nearly finished seies 2

spoiler:
martha comes back in episode 6 of series 2 and owen gets shot for the third time.this time he gets shot in the heart and sadly dies Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:04 pm

is it available in the usa?
Back to top Go down
mumbojumbo21

Number of posts : 381
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:19 pm

Torchwood is airing on BBC America and it's into its second series.

The first series is out on DVD now as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.libriumarcana.com/phpBB2/
timlord

Number of posts : 332
Registration date : 2007-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Torchwood   Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:16 pm

Last nite watched adam episode,was ok left openings for people from past to appear.i wont spoil it by saying more.now if they can stop all the forced make out scenes it will be great season!romance with story nice not just for shock value!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Torchwood
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: