Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 
 

 BBC To Air Only 6 'Doctor Who' Episodes This Year (2012)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
The Castellan
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: BBC To Air Only 6 'Doctor Who' Episodes This Year (2012)   Sun May 27, 2012 8:48 am

Scary wrote:
The Castellan wrote:
What's the difference between Moffat's brain and manure?

Manure can be useful. afro ~rimshot~

I'm tweeting this. Razz

By all means. farao cat
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 1816
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: BBC To Air Only 6 'Doctor Who' Episodes This Year (2012)   Sun May 27, 2012 4:52 pm

I'm pretty sure the Cybermen we've been seeing are "our" universe's Cybermen. They don't have the Cybus logo on their chests & they have advanced spacecrafts. The altverse Cybermen were wiped out in Doomsday & The Next Doctor. The vintage Cybermen upgraded themselves in almost every story, so it's not surprising they'd eventually look like the better armored alternate universe Cybermen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Ronpur
RANK: The Doctor


Number of posts : 9504
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: BBC To Air Only 6 'Doctor Who' Episodes This Year (2012)   Sun May 27, 2012 7:31 pm

I could buy them upgrading, but not to an exact copy of the Cybusrobots. Personally, I would have loved to see a story where some Earthshock Cybermen find some dying Cybusmen, and they adapt their technology to upgrade themselves. That would have been much better than finding a Dalek Easter Egg to upgrade the design.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: BBC To Air Only 6 'Doctor Who' Episodes This Year (2012)   Sun May 27, 2012 8:49 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Cybermen we've been seeing are "our" universe's Cybermen. They don't have the Cybus logo on their chests & they have advanced spacecrafts. The altverse Cybermen were wiped out in Doomsday & The Next Doctor. The vintage Cybermen upgraded themselves in almost every story, so it's not surprising they'd eventually look like the better armored alternate universe Cybermen.

Feels like a cop out sorta thing to me, just to milk the suits more.

I don't feel the Cybus men are more advanced than the classic Cybermen. The Cybusmen seem pretty primitive to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doctor Detroit
RANK: Brigadier


Number of posts : 322
Age : 56
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: BBC To Air Only 6 'Doctor Who' Episodes This Year (2012)   Mon May 28, 2012 11:03 am

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
In the Digital Spy quote Moff said the decision came from the BBC.

My question is, when is the remainder of the series airing in 2013? Winter? Spring?
I'm hoping that the remaining 8 episodes follow on from the Christmas episode, and then a full series later in the year, it would be a great way to celebrate the 50th Anniversary.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo
RANK: Time Lord President Elect


Number of posts : 6854
Age : 30
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: BBC To Air Only 6 'Doctor Who' Episodes This Year (2012)   Mon May 28, 2012 11:05 am

I had assumed that's why they did it, so as to have a lot of New Doctor Who in 2013.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: BBC To Air Only 6 'Doctor Who' Episodes This Year (2012)   Mon May 28, 2012 6:43 pm

Ronpur wrote:
I could buy them upgrading, but not to an exact copy of the Cybusrobots. Personally, I would have loved to see a story where some Earthshock Cybermen find some dying Cybusmen, and they adapt their technology to upgrade themselves. That would have been much better than finding a Dalek Easter Egg to upgrade the design.

The Mondasian Cybermen would just have let those wannabes expire, I think.
Another reason I want the originals to come back because the classic ones
A: Worked in the shadows and often worked in secret, the Cybusmen are just in your face and doing that annoying "CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK" goose stomp they do.
B: The creepy factor. Knowing there's a bunch of organic material....organs and nerves and whatnot, tucked in amongst all that circuitry and metal, makes it much more creepy and internal cringe worthy than merely a brain in a suit.
C: The Cybusmen look more like Robocop and Ironman had a love child, and stuck a stupid looking C on the chest. Surprised Marvel did not sue yet after all these years.
D: Personalities: Despite what some people say, the classic Cybermen did have personalities, we seen them get angry, we seen them frustrated, seen them boastful, smug and all that. And seeing little things like the Revenge leader with his hands upon his hips, or Earthshock leader talking almost with a laugh in his voice when something really good happens.

This is what I miss in classic monsters like the Cybermen.
Seems all they got now to be known for is just another catch phrase that Moffat and RTD seem to have a fetish for.


Anyhow, I bet Moffat's sitting down with his chums and wondering, "We're a bunch of bone heads and we need to find a way to surpass ourselves as bone heads, let's find ways to really screw things up, shall we?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur
RANK: The Doctor


Number of posts : 9504
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: BBC To Air Only 6 'Doctor Who' Episodes This Year (2012)   Mon May 28, 2012 7:42 pm

Cybusmen are robots with human brains, Classic Cybermen were humans with cybernetic parts. And yes, they did have personalities, in fact, in Tenth Planet, they had names.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 1816
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: BBC To Air Only 6 'Doctor Who' Episodes This Year (2012)   Mon May 28, 2012 9:20 pm

I agree that vintage Cybermen were creepier & written better. The basic concept behind them is that humans lose their humanity when they strt integrating mechanical parts. It stands to reason that later generations of Cybermen would want to reduce their weak organic components as much as possible. You could get plenty of story beasts from them being just brains in robot suits, but the new series doesn't feel like writing intersting stories for them. Maybe it's some sort of metacriticism that the ideal Cyberman would be a boring robot so we should continue to live as interestingly flawed meatbags?
In Cyberwoman & Closing Time, the Cybermen were seen to be interfacing cybernetics with human bodies again rather than just harvesting brains. Unfortunately both episodes were rubbish. Let us never speak of them again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: BBC To Air Only 6 'Doctor Who' Episodes This Year (2012)   Mon May 28, 2012 9:32 pm

Well its better then nothing though. Wink
Back to top Go down
The Castellan
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: BBC To Air Only 6 'Doctor Who' Episodes This Year (2012)   Mon May 28, 2012 11:15 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
I agree that vintage Cybermen were creepier & written better. The basic concept behind them is that humans lose their humanity when they strt integrating mechanical parts. It stands to reason that later generations of Cybermen would want to reduce their weak organic components as much as possible. You could get plenty of story beasts from them being just brains in robot suits, but the new series doesn't feel like writing intersting stories for them. Maybe it's some sort of metacriticism that the ideal Cyberman would be a boring robot so we should continue to live as interestingly flawed meatbags?
In Cyberwoman & Closing Time, the Cybermen were seen to be interfacing cybernetics with human bodies again rather than just harvesting brains. Unfortunately both episodes were rubbish. Let us never speak of them again.

Considering that Cybusmen go nuts if their emotional inhibitor chip go down, I don't see any advantage to Cybusmen. Plus Cybusmen seem rather easy to kill, despite that aluminum siding they are encased in. heck...look at Robocop 2.....in that story, Cain, who became Robocop 2, and was essentially a brain in a metal suit (and controlled by his masters taking advantage of his hopeless addiction to drugs) was destroyed by Alex Murphy, the first, real Robocop, who is more cyborg than Cain was. In Cyberwoman and ClosingTime, they were trying to rush out as many units they could for their invasion as quickly as possible. The Cybusmen, like the Empire from Star Wars, was all quantity over quality. Classic Cybermen were few in numbers, most of the time, and they came very close to winning it all several times, plus the fact they operated in the shadows, manipulating greed and ambition the folks they employed had, only to kill or convert them once they were no longer useful, shows the classic Cybermen also were clever and devious that any politician would be proud of.

Plus, let's face it.....Mr. Lumic was a Davros rip off, essentially....and "DELETE!" is a rip of of "EXTERMINATE!", plus, "I OBEY!" is another Dalek rip off. I'm working on some story ideas for my comics, once I get a good computer powerful enough for rendering, and making Lumic much more better, and the Cybus design is only a one-off, made for Lumic himself. And he's going to be more of a devious plotter and planner.

Here he is fighting Cassy, the main character of my stories:














Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
BBC To Air Only 6 'Doctor Who' Episodes This Year (2012)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: