Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

More future network cancellation fodder

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:38 pm

The ? Doctor wrote:
hitman hart wrote:
cbs already has a male female show where elaborate schems and murders are sloved, its called castle.

Castle is on ABC, Elementary will be on CBS. Regardless, CBS still has a show like you described, it's called The Mentalist.

thats right! i will watch it and give it a chance, but i gotta say, lucy lui does not instill me with the confidence i would like to have. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:39 pm

Well, I didn't hate Elementary. I will watch it again.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guvnagrover

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2012-05-06

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:46 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Well, I didn't hate Elementary. I will watch it again.

I didn't hate it either, guess we will have to see how it progresses.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LastWho

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2008-11-14

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm

I will preamble this comment with I am an Amercian!

Okay, that's out of the way.

With Elementary, we are one step closer to America screwing up their own version of Doctor Who!

If they did a version of him, he would be an...

"Action Hero" type male character who was brash and arrogant.

Had a different companion in his bed each week.

Would have a constant five day old beard with a toothpick in the side of his mouth.

He would tell everyone, "Suck it up, I'm the Doctor!"

His sonic would be switch-blade activated.

And his TARDIS would have a working chameleon circuit, which would mean that when he often lands in NY, FL and LA to solve the latest crime spree, it could transform into a talking blue corvette that he would drive around in busting bad guys and picking up new companions!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Biggles

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:15 pm

I would like to note that I'm also an American, and while I do share your concern about an American version of Doctor Who, I'm getting the hint that Elementary probably isn't floating your boat. Wink

I however am enjoying the show quite a bit and I hope it sticks around. Yes it's mainly Holmes in name only, but I don't think it's destroying Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's legacy either. And I am speaking as someone who has read the original stories and enjoys BBC's Sherlock as well as the Guy Ritchie / Robert Downey Jr. movies. Heck, I like Disney's The Great Mouse Detective too!

I guess I'm just someone who enjoys Holmes in any form as long as I find it enjoyable. Thus I'm looking at Elementary as just a fun show, not whether it's a bad or good adaptation of the Holmes character. I also already liked both Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu before the show, so to me the casting was good and I like how they're playing the roles. (I personally find Miller's Sherlock much more likable than Cumberbatch's, but then that's just my own opinion.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LastWho

Number of posts : 274
Registration date : 2008-11-14

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:39 pm

What got me the most about Elementary is that it could just as easially be "Law and Order: Sherlock." Just another cop show with an eccentric lead!

His deductions did not seem to be anything more spectacular than anything anyone else could have come up with.

"Oh, there were two glasses, not one."

"Nope, just one!"

"Can't be, too much glass."

"Wrong, wrong, wrong!"

Gets on stomach, finds the bottom of a second glass under the fridge.

"Hah! Nani nani boo boo!"

Then with Joan.

"How did you know my dad cheated?"

"I googled, not everything is dedutcable!"

WHAT! That's what Sherlock does! He looks into the minutea and sees what no one else does. He's the Master Detective! Besides, where do you 'google' to find out someone cheated on thier wife? He should have been more insigtful. here, I'll re-write it quickly.

Joan: How did you know my father cheated?

Sherlock: When you came in my room and saw the young lady leaving, you were stiff and reserved. You clearly did not approve of my being with her. Since her being with me has nothing to do with you, I can conclude that you have been effected by infidelty. However, since you did not become overly disgusted by me with her, then I also conclude that you were not personally violated by a lover. So it had to be someone close to you, as in your Mother.

See, it's really not that hard. We suffer from so much lazy story telling these days.

The BBC version is a much more clever production. I do like the way Sherlock runs the ideas down in his mind and we see it on screen as he works it out.

And the best was in the Hound of Baskerville, when he was suffering severe panic and STILL called out the guy eating with his mother! oh yes, That's Sherlock!

Last edited by LastWho on Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:31 pm

LastWho wrote:
I will preamble this comment with I am an Amercian!

Okay, that's out of the way.

With Elementary, we are one step closer to America screwing up their own version of Doctor Who!

If they did a version of him, he would be an...

"Action Hero" type male character who was brash and arrogant.

Had a different companion in his bed each week.

Would have a constant five day old beard with a toothpick in the side of his mouth.

He would tell everyone, "Suck it up, I'm the Doctor!"

His sonic would be switch-blade activated.

And his TARDIS would have a working chameleon circuit, which would mean that when he often lands in NY, FL and LA to solve the latest crime spree, it could transform into a talking blue corvette that he would drive around in busting bad guys and picking up new companions!

And probably no aliens or monsters at all, here. Razz And the 'actor' playing the Doctor would probably speak all his lines in low whispers, since Hollywood thinks that, somehow, manages to make up for someone who can't act.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1815
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Unless Joss Whedon or Bryan Fuller was the showrunner, in which event it'd be brilliant but cancelled within a season.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Unless Joss Whedon or Bryan Fuller was the showrunner, in which event it'd be brilliant but cancelled within a season.

Thank goodness I got a lot of DVD's and VHS tapes to watch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5857
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Well, Elementary wont be going anywhere anytime soon. CBS just ordered a full season... and ranked #2 in new series viewership (14.3 million)

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Biggles

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2011-09-06

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:53 pm

LastWho wrote:
What got me the most about Elementary is that it could just as easially be "Law and Order: Sherlock." Just another cop show with an eccentric lead!

I agree with you completely. No really, I do. But I'm enjoying it all the same. While the rest of the show is a basic cop procedural, Holmes and Watson and their interaction is what I'm enjoying. It could be set in any place at any time and I would still like the way the two are playing their roles. The setting doesn't matter when the characters are played well. BBC's Sherlock could be set in the original late Victorian era and it would still be entertaining. Ditto for Elementary, in my opinion.

LastWho wrote:

Then with Joan.

"How did you know my dad cheated?"

"I googled, not everything is deducable!"

WHAT! That's what Sherlock does! He looks into the minutea and sees what no one else does. He's the Master Detective! He should have been more insigtful.

I actually liked the Google comment, if only because it was unexpected. Everyone always expects Sherlock to know everything just by deduction, so I thought that was a fun little twist to imply that he'd use Google on occasion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:14 am

Well, 666 Park Lane, Last Resort & The Mob Doctor all missed the Mid-Season cut!

Can't say I'll be too sad to see them go - very poor IMO

& yet Beauty & the Beast remains untouched??!! GO figure!! scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Wed May 15, 2013 8:07 am

Almost a year to the day since I started the fodder chat!!

Nice to see the networks are trying a split season style of showing their shows - 2 UNINTERRUPTED halves with a mid season break!

Great to see the return of 24 (or will it be called 12, due to the number of episodes??)

Here's some of this years fodder for you consideration. More to follow.......

Almost Human

Once upon a time...in Wonderland

S.H.I.E.L.D

Sleepy Hollow

Resurrection

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Wed May 15, 2013 8:57 am

I am happy to see 24 coming back. And the fact the fact that the day will be compressed into 12 episodes should cut down on some of the really annoying things that turned up as filler. Now, maybe we won't get characters going from one side of LA to the other in 5 minutes either.

And I have been very happy with Elementary and I am glad it will be back next year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Wed May 15, 2013 9:15 am

Huh... presumably Once Upon a Time in Wonderland will be tied into Once Upon a Time. I'm interested to see what they do there.
And, of course, Agents of SHIELD...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Wed May 15, 2013 7:03 pm

I'll watch "Once Upon A Time In Wonderland" for Michael Socha.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5857
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Wed May 15, 2013 7:07 pm

When i read the plot of Almost Human, all I thought of was... Mann and Machine.

SHIELD might be cancellation fodder... looks like they are running it up against NCIS.
They really should move it to a better night.

Im definitely watching the Dracula series, even if it is just a 10 episode limited series.

I'm going to give Gothica a shot as well.

Occult might be interesting, but it's so X Files.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Wed May 15, 2013 7:21 pm

Loving S.H.I.E.L.D. and Sleepy Hollow is so awful it boomerangs back into awesome territory.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1815
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: More future network cancellation fodder   Thu May 16, 2013 2:59 am

So which TV show ostensibly based on a literary classic that actually owes more to previous bastardized adaptations will be the worst?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/

More future network cancellation fodder
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: