Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5898
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:55 am

Since there are some forum members that are watching Firefly for the first time this week, and already indoctrinated fans that will be re-watching the series... here is a place where we can discuss Firefly and Serenity without clogging up the What Are You Watching thread.

If you are going to participate in this thread by posting, please do NOT ruin anything for the new people. USE SPOILER TAGS. When in doubt if something is a spoiler, USE SPOILER TAGS. All it takes is a highlight and a click.

And away we go!

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea

There's no place I can be
Since I've found serenity

-- The Ballad of Serenity
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:00 am

"Serenity" pilot

Initial thoughts and tidbits:

I had never noticed the Serenity logo on the side of the ship before, but finally saw it in one shot while the ship was moored at Persephone. I had always thought the logo was a new addition for the movie.

May you live in interesting times (spoilers for "Ariel"):
Spoiler:

Signs and Portents

(spoilers for "Ariel" and "War Stories")
Spoiler:

Injury Watch

One of the many things I appreciated about the series was the realism in regards to the characters' health. In so many series nothing major ever happens to the characters, even if they regularly get put into dangerous situations. Here we have a series about a group of outlaws on the run from law enforcement, the Alliance, and other criminals... and see just how much happens to them in just the course of 14 episodes versus other series

(spoilers for "Serenity")

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:10 am

"The Train Job"

Tidbits

The Alliance soldier uniforms and armor are from the film Starship Troopers

One my favorite lines from the series:

Spoiler:

Injury Watch for "The Train Job"
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:26 pm

"Bushwhacked"

Tidbits and Thoughts

I always thought that the mercenary crew of the Betty in Alien: Resurrection (written by Joss) were the precursors to the crew of the Serenity. This is the episode that makes me think about it the most because of the 'basketball' game.

The two sides of the Unification War developed nicknames from the colors of their uniforms. The Independents are 'brown coats'. The Alliance are 'purple bellies'.

Injury Watch
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:48 am

Let me get something right, that Alliance ship was named "The Dortmunder"??

I am sooooo amused!

~
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:02 am

"Shindig"

Tidbits

The first time we hear Kaylee's full name: Kaywinnet Lee Frye

And this is why everyone should know how to use a sword. You never know when you have to fight a duel Very Happy

Injury Watch

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:06 pm

"Safe"

Tidbits and Thoughts

Young Simon Tam is played by Zac Efron- his very first acting job.

I know it would be risky, but if I was Simon, I'd love to bring River back to meet the parents after the events of the film and give them one hellacious "I told you so"... then tell them that will be the last time they ever see us again.

More great lines from the series here:

Spoiler:

Injury Watch

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:03 pm

"Our Mrs. Reynolds"

This episode is just outright hilarious Very Happy

Much love for Saffron cheers

Injury Watch

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:35 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
"Our Mrs. Reynolds"

This episode is just outright hilarious Very Happy

Much love for Saffron cheers

Injury Watch

Spoiler:

I love this episode. It is a lot of fun and is one of my favorites along with "Jaynestown" and "Out of Gas."
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:59 am

Can't wait to watch this one, "The Train Job". Apparently it's the favourite of my friend who originally was poking and poking and poking for me to watch this show ages ago!

I seriously am loving the western theme to this series! The music is brilliant and the sets are very simple in design. I love how everything fits into the surroundings naturally and the fact that there's this mix of Mandarin (is it Mandarin and not Cantonese?) and English makes me think that maybe Joss Whedon and I share simliar brain waves...

Anyways, I like the fact that not everything is actually shiny and that they'll opt for something more our time (or before) than something futuristic. With the horses bit and the whole coat thing (yes, Cgren123, I DID happen to notice this and just chose NOT to fangirl, okay?) again, I think that this creator and I might have similar notions about "epic" stories.

However, as I do kow with Joss Whedon and his tv shows, there's many many things that seperate us and the biggest one being, I don't purposefully mock my audience... though we'll save that rant for later.
~

Last edited by AppleJack25 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:14 am

Did I mention how much I am loving this music?

~
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:26 am

artanyus wrote:

I love this episode. It is a lot of fun and is one of my favorites along with "Jaynestown" and "Out of Gas."

That's a good one... what are my favorites...

My top 5, I'd go:

1) Ariel
2) Out of Gas
3) Our Mrs Reynolds
4) Objects in Space
5) Trash

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:33 am

AppleJack25 wrote:

I seriously am loving the western theme to this series! The music is brilliant and the sets are very simple in design. I love how everything fits into the surroundings naturally and the fact that there's this mix of Mandarin (is it Mandarin and not Cantonese?) and English makes me think that maybe Joss Whedon and I share simliar brain waves...

~

Yes, it is Mandarin.

In this 'verse, the two dominant superpowers on Earth in the future ended up being the Americans and the Chinese. That's why the languages, cultures, clothing, etc are so intermixed.

The other side benefit of Mandarin was that the characters can slip into Mandarin when cursing and not have to worry about network censors Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:56 pm

"Jaynestown"

Tidbits

Adam Baldwin (Jayne) sings "The Hero of Canton" in an easter egg hidden in the DVD and Blu Ray sets.

On Blu Ray- go to disc 3 -> Special Features -> Featurettes -> scroll down to "Joss sings the Firefly Theme". Instead of selecting it, use the Right Arrow instead. The option will switch to a picture of Serenity. Hit Enter, and that gets you to the video.

(now I don't have these on dvd anymore once I got the blus, but I think this how you got to it on the dvds)

On DVD- go to disc 4 -> Special Features -> More (to the 2nd screen of special features). Go to the "Joss Sings the Firefly Theme" and instead of Enter, use left arrow, which will highlight a pattern to the left on the menu screen. Hit Enter, and that gets you to the video

Or do what most other people do and youtube search for Jayne sings Hero of Canton Razz

Injury Watch
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:52 pm

"Out of Gas"

Tidbits
Spoiler:

Alan Tudyk (Wash) gave the recall button to Joss after the series was cancelled. If Joss managed to get the series picked up somewhere, he could 'use the button to call the cast back'.

During the end scene in the infirmary, Mal shows no scars from his previous injuries

Injury Watch

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:56 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:
AppleJack25 wrote:

~

Yes, it is Mandarin.

In this 'verse, the two dominant superpowers on Earth in the future ended up being the Americans and the Chinese. That's why the languages, cultures, clothing, etc are so intermixed.

The other side benefit of Mandarin was that the characters can slip into Mandarin when cursing and not have to worry about network censors Razz

I kind of gathered that about the show, and it's not the first time that using another language has covered for swearing. It's not that new of a concept. I just like the mixing of the languages in general because it's done so naturally.

~
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:03 pm

AppleJack25 wrote:

I kind of gathered that about the show, and it's not the first time that using another language has covered for swearing. It's not that new of a concept. I just like the mixing of the languages in general because it's done so naturally.

~

In one episode of Castle, he starts speaking in Mandarin. When asked if he studied abroad, his reply is "Nah, tv show i used to love."

Nathan loves to work in Firefly references to the show.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:04 pm

It's weird but for everyone who was pushing me to see this show, there's only one person who is actually discussing this show with me and that's Cgren123. All I see is episode rehashes and nothing actually being discussed. I thought there would be awesome converstations where we get to discuss character and plot points, geek out about things, wonder how Jayne got to be the way he is...

~
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:19 pm

AppleJack25 wrote:
It's weird but for everyone who was pushing me to see this show, there's only one person who is actually discussing this show with me and that's Cgren123. All I see is episode rehashes and nothing actually being discussed. I thought there would be awesome converstations where we get to discuss character and plot points, geek out about things, wonder how Jayne got to be the way he is...

~

Then start discussing things, and I'm sure people will jump in Razz

Coops been asking me questions about the backstory and all and I've been filling him in, but on yahoo, since he wasn't asking about anything here in the thread.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:21 pm

I've given up, to be honest.

~
Back to top Go down
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:43 am

Cruel Angel wrote:
In one episode of Castle, he starts speaking in Mandarin. When asked if he studied abroad, his reply is "Nah, tv show i used to love."

Like the Halloween episode where he comes out dressed as a "space cowboy" and Alexis askes, 'Didn't you wear that five years ago?"
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5983
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:54 am

Calixar wrote:
Cruel Angel wrote:

Like the Halloween episode where he comes out dressed as a "space cowboy" and Alexis askes, 'Didn't you wear that five years ago?"

I remember that Castle epi. Very funny indeed! Had to explain the joke to my wife.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:09 am

Did anyone see this past weeks episode of Castle? Adam Baldwin guest starred - it was good to see them together again. Great ep!
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:16 am

"Ariel"

Waited to start off the day with Ariel, my favorite episode Very Happy Love the IMF vibe, and the end is terrific. One of my all time great Mal moments.

During all the prep work for the mission, the tunes from Mission Impossible and A Team always run through my head Very Happy

One of my fav Simon moments too, when he saves the patient in the recovery ward. Like in Star Trek 4 when McCoy busts in to save Chekov... it's nice to hear doctor characters actually sling the medical terminology and add to their believability.

Spoiler:

Injury Watch

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:37 am

Guvnagrover wrote:
Did anyone see this past weeks episode of Castle? Adam Baldwin guest starred - it was good to see them together again. Great ep!

Yes! Funny thing was, with the hairdo, it took me a moment to realize why he was familiar to me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!   Today at 3:56 am

Back to top Go down

The shiny Firefly / Serenity thread!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: