Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 
 

 Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
rmlextreme
RANK: Prime Minister


Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:15 pm

Hey i could do not what matt does so he has my respect. For one episode a week during the seasons he and the cast provide an escape from this crappy world. So thank you mr smith an co.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:23 pm

rmlextreme wrote:
Hey i could do not what matt does so he has my respect. For one episode a week during the seasons he and the cast provide an escape from this crappy world. So thank you mr smith an co.

Agreed! When ever I watch Matt I get into another world. And since Matt is like I said sensative like me don't blame him for not wanting to tweet. Wink
Back to top Go down
Ronpur
RANK: The Doctor


Number of posts : 9504
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 pm

AppleJack25 wrote:
Yeah but that's the thing Ronpur, the fandom made it seem that anyone who was SAD about Tennant leaving was a bad fan and was just too hung up on his Doctor. In the first episode I didn't even like Matt Smith's Doctor ~

OK, I read it backward, thought people were harping that if you were not sad about Tennant leaving you weren't a fan, which was what I kept reading in places. They thought Tennant was the best Doctor ever.

I am always sad when a Doctor leaves, but like I said,it is part of the change of Doctor Who. And a Doctor's first episode isn't always representative of a Doctor's other episodes. I would suggest several of Matt's episode to see him at his best. Vincent and the Doctor for one. The Doctor's Wife for another. But, yes, both of his Christmas stories were very good, but very Christmas themed, but I know you will like that! Smile

Every Doctor is very different, but I have learned to find things in all of them I like......

But I LOVE Jon Pertwee the most!!

Tom Baker being a close second.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:47 am

squishy wrote:
AppleJack25 wrote:
the fandom made it seem that anyone who was SAD about Tennant leaving was a bad fan and was just too hung up on his Doctor. ~

What about the rest of the Doctors? You say you enjoy McGann. Therefore you have at least two Doctors you like so you must be some kind of Doctor Who fan despite what other people say. Have you tried any other Doctors to see if you enjoy their portrayals? I'd say if you can come up with a few Doctors that you enjoy then you're free to not like some others and still be a "Doctor Who fan". There is lots of hate for Colin and Sylvester or all 6 of the latest series for not being the Classic Series. These people still call themselves fans and haven't been hunted down by "true fans" (whatever that means).

But you may be just a fan of Tennant and McGann. They're both good actors and I've enjoyed each of them in multiple roles outside Doctor Who. There is nothing wrong with saying you enjoy these actors in most any role. "They did a good job in Doctor Who, but without their charisma the series just doesn't do much for me." What is wrong with having an opinion like this?

Personally I'm more of a Ron Howard fan than a Happy Days fan. Happy Days was a good show, but really dropped in quality once Ron left the series. He was "replaced" but that other actor didn't do anything for me. Should I call myself a Happy Days fan or not?

To be honest, I think I've seen at least one episode of every Doctor with more episodes of Troughton, Pertwee, and Baker than anyone else. I really enjoy the stories, though I do wish I could see more of Davidson's Doctor! It's just a matter of being able to get a hold of the dvds to actually see these episodes! A lot of them I saw were through Netflix and now that we don't have it, it's been slow for me!

I've been a fan of McGann's since "Horatio Hornblower" and mostly I'm a fan of Eight because of the audios. To me he's the best Doctor ever because of those. I also love David Tennant in the other roles he's played, but I guess I really like him reading "How to Train Your Dragon" as well as "Hairy Macclary". His many voices just make me laugh and laugh!

And you have a good point. I think people should be allowed to be fans regardless of who comes and goes. I just think that some people get so stuck on their own defence that they can't see what anyone else is feeling if it is contrary to their own.
~
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:49 am

Ronpur wrote:
AppleJack25 wrote:
Yeah but that's the thing Ronpur, the fandom made it seem that anyone who was SAD about Tennant leaving was a bad fan and was just too hung up on his Doctor. In the first episode I didn't even like Matt Smith's Doctor ~

OK, I read it backward, thought people were harping that if you were not sad about Tennant leaving you weren't a fan, which was what I kept reading in places. They thought Tennant was the best Doctor ever.

I am always sad when a Doctor leaves, but like I said,it is part of the change of Doctor Who. And a Doctor's first episode isn't always representative of a Doctor's other episodes. I would suggest several of Matt's episode to see him at his best. Vincent and the Doctor for one. The Doctor's Wife for another. But, yes, both of his Christmas stories were very good, but very Christmas themed, but I know you will like that! Smile

Every Doctor is very different, but I have learned to find things in all of them I like......

But I LOVE Jon Pertwee the most!!

Tom Baker being a close second.

I've seen "Vincent and the Doctor", as I said, I've seen all of series 5. However, me liking that episode has nothing to do with Matt Smith and everything to do with Van Gogh.

The Christmas theme is exactly why I chose those two to get me back into Doctor Who. If anything can help get me back into it, it's Christmas and the Doctor!

I'm just really really hoping that I can like Matt Smith because I miss Doctor Who so much and I'm worried that I'm going to be missing out on the whole thing if I don't get back into it now!
~
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:53 am

ThomasIsherwood wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:
ThomasIsherwood wrote:
I know people are rude to me cause Matt is my favorite Doctor. Sad
Probably not the case and don't make this about you.

We all have a favorite Doctor. Mine is 11. Why am I and us punished for it? Sad I like Matt as an actor as you can tell. Very Happy is why I try when I can to buy all movies and shows he is in. Wink but with way prices are now it's hard too.

Don't blame you there! If you like an actor there's nothing wrong with going through his/her filmography to see what other things that they've been in! It's a great way to gain even more appreciation for their talent!

I wind up finding new actors this way! I know what brought me out of my depression during the Christmas season last year was rediscovering Jonathan Firth through a volcano documentry on Pompeii, which got me going through all of his movies (ahhh Lord Byron how could I forget you??) which brought back to mine my other favourites like Samuel West, Paul McGann, and Ioan Gruffudd, and then somehow I've landed upon Benedict Cumberbatch and now Colin Morgan.

So yes, keep watching those movies that he's in! It's fun!
~
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:59 am

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
I think it's a bad idea to base your enjoyment of any property on fan backlash.

For a person who is wise and has truly mastered discernment something like this would be easy to avoid. However, for a person like me, it's mere wishful thinking.

I very much wanted to take part in discussions and stuff with other fans, because there's nothing I love more than picking brains and having mine picked over what we watch, read, and listen to. It's just fun.

However, when most of it consists of fans bashing one another over actors, it makes a person like me wonder if it's even worth trying to get into. I like being liked and my fear of not liking Matt Smith right from the get-go and being flamed for it drove my reservation for Matt Smith that later turned into all-out resentment.

I feel bad right now that I can't even stomach River Song, someone that I didn't mind in series 4 but had extreme issues with in series 5. I think that might be due to the fact that she killed a Dalek who begged for mercy when I was in the midst of my Dalek-loving days. The thing is though, my best friend really loves her and I want to be able to help him if he comes to me with his stories rather than have him fear being able to talk to me because of my resentment.

So in a way, it's also for him that I am wanting to give Matt Smith another chance, but this is a good sort of change.
~
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:05 am

bret_owen99 wrote:
I actually really like this topic, because I know exactly what AppleJack is talking about. It happened here on this board, and It's even still continuing on several other Doctor Who sites I am a member of.

When RTD and Tennant left, there were so many people who were cheering, or saying "finally, it can be like the old show again". I don't see that in Moffat's writing, but that's just me. Or my favorite is, "Tennant wasn't really the Doctor, because he acted too human, and not alien enough". There are so many ways to respond to that, but the easiest, is, yes, he was the most human Doctor.

Just the other day, I passed by someone's comment that The Eleventh Hour (which after several viewings I have accepted as not that bad, but in no way remarkable), finally washed away all the bad writing of RTD, and ushered back in the "Classic" era. I couldn't disagree with that person more, and let them know. There have been a few shows between Series 5 and 6 that have given me a "Classic" feel, but the Eleventh Hour wasn't one of them (not to mention all the RTD episodes, with and without Tennant that also gave me the same feel).

I think my biggest complaint in all of this, is not that people are entitled to their opinions, but how two-faced, and hypocritical the whole fandom of Doctor Who is. If everyone hated RTD, and Tennant, why has he won so many favorite Doctor awards year after year (unofficial, I know, but polls still count), not to mention how people hate Rose, and she wins favorite new companion. Heck, BBC put out the Tennant years as a DVD set just to make a little more money off the show, which they wouldn't have done, if they didnt' think there was the market for it.

I'm glad we see eye-to-eye on this! I agree, the fandom is VERY hypocritical and they're so ready to turn on you at a moment's notice!

They also forget that some people could have just joined the fandom through the specials and have been catching up with all of the Tennant's episodes from before. I got into Doctor Who just as the specials were airing.

The biggest irony for me with Doctor Who was that I spent many years absolutely against the idea of ever watching Doctor Who and liking Tennant. I had been so burned out from roleplayers that I didn't want to even see him in it. Then someone convinced me to finally watch an episode and I did. My curiosity was sparked so I started with series 2, which was the only one that my library had.

As much as I like Eccleston as an actor, I had the hardest time with his Doctor because I had seen him mostly in villain roles and so it was so difficult seeing him in this good guy role. I was actually very relieved when I got to the regeneration because I still hadn't been able to connect with him at all.

Then I worried if I was just biased to Tennant. Along came watching Tom Baker episodes and I was like, "WHOOOOO!" And now, I can honestly say that my favourite Doctors are 2, 4, 8, and 10. So no, I'm not biased, I just have preferences and at the time, people just couldn't see that and got on my case for it, so my resentment grew.

Right now though, I just want a clean start with 11.
~
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:50 am

Just finished watching the 2010 and 2011 Christmas specials and I loved both of them.

So I think I do like Matt Smith's Doctor.

Yes, I definitely like his Doctor.

Very much so.

My gosh that was BRILLIANT!!
~
Back to top Go down
Scary
RANK: Time Lord President


Number of posts : 7474
Age : 19
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:37 am

I've been watching series 5 again over the last two weeks and it's actually not as bad as I had been telling myself. I think I still prefer series 6 as the characters develop way better there instead of series 5, for instance Rory is considered more of a companion in series 6 rather than the tin-dog and Amy is less whiny and doesn't save the day every episode.

As for Matt as a Doctor though I have come to really like him, too. It felt a bit awkward rewatching him in his first three episodes of series 5... He seemed like he was still trying to get into it but I think he was fab after that. Really good stuff and reading all these spoilers (I know, naughty me) is making me more and more excited to see him in series 7 again!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: