Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 
 

 Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:28 am

I came in during the Tennant era yet my favourite Doctor remains McGann (Eight) and with series 5 I tried to remain open-minded, but the fandom had upset me so much in regards to Tennant that I had a hard time getting through the first two episodes.

Now, after two seasons, I am missing Who and am completely unbiased now.

When I say ďunbiasedĒ what I mean is that when I was trying to get adjusted to Matt Smith, I kept watching these flame wars on the fandom and the general thought was, anyone who missed Tennant obviously was not a Doctor Who fan and should just quit because we canít get over him. That wasnít the case with me. I donít like being forced to like anything and I really needed to like Matt Smith on my own, not be forced to out of fear of getting chased out of the fandom.

So despite my attempts to like Matt Smith and series 5, the only thing that I really walked away with was that I hated him, I hated series 5, but I totally adored Rory and Amy. Now though, I think itís possible that I might actually really like Matt Smith, so I am ordering both Christmas Specials and hoping that I donít need to see series 6 in order to understand the other one.


~
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:31 am

Even Bill Bailey couldn't save the latest Christmas special.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:39 am

That is honestly a matter of opinion.

I have this amazing talent for liking what most don't like.

We'll see, because I mean, people really didn't like the 10th Doctor Christmas special but I loved it.

So we'll see.
~
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
RANK: Time Lord President Elect


Number of posts : 6854
Age : 30
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:17 am

I'm more of the opinion that you gotta take some things on their own.

Doctors included.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmlextreme
RANK: Prime Minister


Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:12 am

If they are talking about dr who on the big bang theory tv show you know matt smith has a lot to do with it. My guess also is his dr who merchandise is out selling the other doctors.

I think the challenge for any actor playing doctor who is they are playing a 1000 year old being that has earned almost a god like reputation. Even his foes respect him.

I think matt has done the series proud, i am looking forward to the ponds leaving, and the possible return of jack harkness

I just want it to remain on the air. This is one of the only shows I watch on TV left. So i hope it remains on TV or in Movies or just in Any Form in General.

Smile


Last edited by rmlextreme on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur
RANK: The Doctor


Number of posts : 9510
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:40 am

AppleJack25 wrote:
I kept watching these flame wars on the fandom and the general thought was, anyone who missed Tennant obviously was not a Doctor Who fan and should just quit because we canít get over him. ~

That is crazy to see people actually believe that. It is Doctor Who, and the show is about change. Changing companions, changing format, changing producers and changing Doctors. The show evolves. If people get so hung up on a certain Doctor and won't watch the show after he leaves, they don't get what the show is about. Life evolves, and so does Doctor Who.

I got over Tom Baker leaving. And I liked Peter, and Colin and Jon and Patrick and Bill and Sylvester and Paul and Chris and David and Matt. I have never met a Doctor I didn't like, I hope you like them all too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Yeah but that's the thing Ronpur, the fandom made it seem that anyone who was SAD about Tennant leaving was a bad fan and was just too hung up on his Doctor. In the first episode I didn't even like Matt Smith's Doctor and I couldn't really talk about it to anyone because they'd just assume that it was because of Tennant and not because I truly found him to be annoying!

The resentment basically manifested itself into pure dislike througout the whole season because I was being forced to like a Doctor that I needed to like on my own time. I can deal with change, but sometimes not all at once as I was still trying to work up the courage to see "The End of Time" (which I still haven't seen yet). Some people are quicker with change than others, me, in recent years, definitely not.

Right now though, I am of the mindset that what's past is past and I will either like Matt Smith or I won't and it's been long enough where I know that me liking the 10th Doctor won't factor into this at all.
~
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:44 pm

AppleJack25 wrote:
Now though, I think itís possible that I might actually really like Matt Smith, so I am ordering both Christmas Specials and hoping that I donít need to see series 6 in order to understand the other one.


I don't think anyone mentioned this here, but you don't need to see the series to understand it, no Smile Not really, at least.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:48 pm

Okay THANK YOU for answering that since no one else did!

I really appreciate that because I've been worried about that since I actually ordered the pair.

In your honest opinion, and I do trust your movie opinions, do you think this was a wise idea for trying to re-introduce myself to the 11th Doctor?
~
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:05 pm

AppleJack25 wrote:
Okay THANK YOU for answering that since no one else did!

I really appreciate that because I've been worried about that since I actually ordered the pair.

In your honest opinion, and I do trust your movie opinions, do you think this was a wise idea for trying to re-introduce myself to the 11th Doctor?
~

Hmm...

Ok, my thoughts on choosing the specials over the series:

Well, I personally prefer the series itself. I really liked series 5 (I can't remember if you finished it or not), and then I liked series 6 so much more, particularly the second half of it. It's mainly because I prefer story-arcs that extend through the episodes (and these seasons are much tighter in story arc than the previous ones), and prefer the character drama that comes with it, over the self-contained adventures that come every now and then (especially with the Christmas specials). In addition, as you know...I much prefer the companion's stories on the show, and the regular seasons also heavily focus on companions more than the specials.

That said, both specials serve as excellent examples of the 11th Doctor, which is what I suppose you're most interested in seeing. Both of them place him front-and-center, so you really get an idea of what he's like, if you're not too accustomed to him. If you do plan on going back and watching series 6, the second special might include a bit of a spoiler. Nothing too major, but a minor spoiler at least. If that's no problem, then these specials aren't a bad place to start at all. I hope you enjoy them.

To answer your question though, yes...I do understand what you mean about the fandom. Still, it's better to give it a chance than to ignore it when you possibly might like/love it, right?
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:09 pm

I have a preference for Christmas Special Matt over Series Matt scratch

Maybe it's the writing/storylines - maybe it's not?? I'm really not too sure. All I'll say is that I'd happily watch his Christmas Specials more than once.....can't say the same for the series, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 2155
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:45 pm

AppleJack25 wrote:
the fandom made it seem that anyone who was SAD about Tennant leaving was a bad fan and was just too hung up on his Doctor. ~

What about the rest of the Doctors? You say you enjoy McGann. Therefore you have at least two Doctors you like so you must be some kind of Doctor Who fan despite what other people say. Have you tried any other Doctors to see if you enjoy their portrayals? I'd say if you can come up with a few Doctors that you enjoy then you're free to not like some others and still be a "Doctor Who fan". There is lots of hate for Colin and Sylvester or all 6 of the latest series for not being the Classic Series. These people still call themselves fans and haven't been hunted down by "true fans" (whatever that means).

But you may be just a fan of Tennant and McGann. They're both good actors and I've enjoyed each of them in multiple roles outside Doctor Who. There is nothing wrong with saying you enjoy these actors in most any role. "They did a good job in Doctor Who, but without their charisma the series just doesn't do much for me." What is wrong with having an opinion like this?

Personally I'm more of a Ron Howard fan than a Happy Days fan. Happy Days was a good show, but really dropped in quality once Ron left the series. He was "replaced" but that other actor didn't do anything for me. Should I call myself a Happy Days fan or not?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:35 pm

I know people are rude to me cause Matt is my favorite Doctor. Sad Don't think it matters which way you watch em. You will be fine. Wink Yes I still need the newest Christmas special. Only saw it once and was um very tired. Sad
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
RANK: Time Lord President Elect


Number of posts : 6854
Age : 30
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:38 pm

ThomasIsherwood wrote:
I know people are rude to me cause Matt is my favorite Doctor. Sad
Probably not the case and don't make this about you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:48 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
ThomasIsherwood wrote:
I know people are rude to me cause Matt is my favorite Doctor. Sad
Probably not the case and don't make this about you.

We all have a favorite Doctor. Mine is 11. Why am I and us punished for it? Sad I like Matt as an actor as you can tell. Very Happy is why I try when I can to buy all movies and shows he is in. Wink but with way prices are now it's hard too.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 2106
Age : 40
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:52 pm

I actually really like this topic, because I know exactly what AppleJack is talking about. It happened here on this board, and It's even still continuing on several other Doctor Who sites I am a member of.

When RTD and Tennant left, there were so many people who were cheering, or saying "finally, it can be like the old show again". I don't see that in Moffat's writing, but that's just me. Or my favorite is, "Tennant wasn't really the Doctor, because he acted too human, and not alien enough". There are so many ways to respond to that, but the easiest, is, yes, he was the most human Doctor.

Just the other day, I passed by someone's comment that The Eleventh Hour (which after several viewings I have accepted as not that bad, but in no way remarkable), finally washed away all the bad writing of RTD, and ushered back in the "Classic" era. I couldn't disagree with that person more, and let them know. There have been a few shows between Series 5 and 6 that have given me a "Classic" feel, but the Eleventh Hour wasn't one of them (not to mention all the RTD episodes, with and without Tennant that also gave me the same feel).

I think my biggest complaint in all of this, is not that people are entitled to their opinions, but how two-faced, and hypocritical the whole fandom of Doctor Who is. If everyone hated RTD, and Tennant, why has he won so many favorite Doctor awards year after year (unofficial, I know, but polls still count), not to mention how people hate Rose, and she wins favorite new companion. Heck, BBC put out the Tennant years as a DVD set just to make a little more money off the show, which they wouldn't have done, if they didnt' think there was the market for it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:03 pm

I think Matt does a fine job as The Doctor. However, I don't find myself getting 'psyched up' for new episodes every Saturday as I used to when Eccleston and Tennant were around (in regards to the 'new' series). Not sure why this is...still trying to figure it out.

There isn't a Doctor (or actor who played the Doc) that I dislike - I prefer some to others though.

Looking forward to seeing what the chemistry will be like between the Doc and his new companion though...

Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope
RANK: Time Lord Council Guard


Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:25 pm

I think it's a bad idea to base your enjoyment of any property on fan backlash.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Very true. But there are those who fight saying ten is better and can't take the fact 11 is now the doctor. Really sad if you ask me. Sad
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil
RANK: Keeper of Traken


Number of posts : 5982
Age : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:43 pm

No one is going to convince me that the Third Doctor isn't the best. Doesn't mean I don't like the others. It's about your personal preference for your favorite.

You're missing the point.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo
RANK: Time Lord President Elect


Number of posts : 6854
Age : 30
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:44 pm

Much as I really like Matt Smith's take on the Doctor, my favorite Doctor is Troughton.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:58 pm

SeaDevil wrote:
No one is going to convince me that the Third Doctor isn't the best. Doesn't mean I don't like the others. It's about your personal preference for your favorite.

You're missing the point.


I agree 100 % with this. Wink and oh some @&$! On fb is saying has Matt degenerated on a pic of David for his birthday. Since today is his b day. But do we really need to stoop low on poor Matt? Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:05 pm

ThomasIsherwood wrote:
Very true. But there are those who fight saying ten is better and can't take the fact 11 is now the doctor. Really sad if you ask me. Sad

Yeah, same thing happened when 9 regenerated to 10 and I'm sure it's happened with the past Doctors. Also, you know it will happen when 11 regenerates to 12.

Like I said before, I prefer some Doctors to others but still enjoy watching the show and collecting various WHO stuff (regardless of the Doctor).

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:10 pm

ThomasIsherwood wrote:
oh some @&$! On fb is saying has Matt degenerated on a pic of David for his birthday. Since today is his b day. But do we really need to stoop low on poor Matt? Crying or Very sad

I have to agree, that is pretty low. My suggestion is to just realize that Matt could give a toss about what the haters have to say. Just keep enjoying what you enjoy and ignore dumb comments like that...they aren't worth your time or stress Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo
RANK: Time Lord President Elect


Number of posts : 6854
Age : 30
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:12 pm

That's probably why Matt isn't keen on joining Karen and Arthur (and Steven Moffat) on Twitter... Moffat gets a ton of senseless hate and Matt knows he doesn't need that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance   Today at 10:25 am

Back to top Go down
 
Giving Matt Smith's Doctor another chance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: