Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 
 

 What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:34 am

Spoiler still applies...her name is out there, but if you don't want details of the upcoming season, stop reading.

I'm asking for opinions on the choice for the "new companion"...I'm starting the thread because I have to say I'm a bit stunned at the lack of discussion on the topic on this forum. A new "Dr. Who girl" to be announced and no one's buzzing with rumors and/or excitement? Have we become that jaded/disgruntled? No

Twisted Evil

Anyway, what do you think?


Last edited by The 2nd Doctor Roberts on Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : updated)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur
RANK: The Doctor


Number of posts : 9504
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:21 am

No, just waiting on the news!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur
RANK: The Doctor


Number of posts : 9504
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:12 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17456505
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil
RANK: Keeper of Traken


Number of posts : 5967
Age : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:52 am

I don't know anything about the actress and Grand Moff isn't saying anything about the character, so I have no opinion yet other than she's pretty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
rdks
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3520
Age : 43
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:12 am

Moffat says...

"It always seems impossible when you start casting these parts, but when we saw Matt and Jenna together, we knew we had our girl. She's funny and clever and exactly mad enough to step on board the TARDIS.

"It's not often the Doctor meets someone who can talk even faster than he does, but it's about to happen. Jenna is going to lead him his merriest dance yet. And that's all you're getting for now. Who she's playing, how the Doctor meets her, and even where he finds her, are all part of one of the biggest mysteries the Time Lord ever encounters. Even by the Doctor's standards, this isn't your usual boy meets girl."

Also mentioned at the presser -

Series 7 will air 5 episodes in the autumn, then the Christmas special (where the new companion will join) followed by 8 episodes in the new year.

Amy & Rory will leave at the end of episode 5 after an encounter with the Weeping Angels. And not everyone will make it out alive (Moffat: "I mean it this time")

The Daleks will appear in the first half of the series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1216
Age : 48
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:43 am

What happened to the companions being dragged along in the Doctor's wake, as he's a super-intelligent alien being? Why suddenly do they have to be a match for him?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
SeaDevil
RANK: Keeper of Traken


Number of posts : 5967
Age : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:54 am

Calixar wrote:
What happened to the companions being dragged along in the Doctor's wake, as he's a super-intelligent alien being? Why suddenly do they have to be a match for him?

I've been wondering this, too. The show should be about The Doctor and his awesomeness, not the companion, or the guest star, or whomever, so frequently being the hero or center of attention.
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Just Scott
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:17 am

SeaDevil wrote:
Calixar wrote:
What happened to the companions being dragged along in the Doctor's wake, as he's a super-intelligent alien being? Why suddenly do they have to be a match for him?

I've been wondering this, too. The show should be about The Doctor and his awesomeness, not the companion, or the guest star, or whomever, so frequently being the hero or center of attention.

Finally!! If only I were allowed to use some kind of applause type gif without the gif police leaping onto their soap boxes (oops!....did I type that out loud?)

More Doctor & less companion based storylines would be a breath of fresh air. Less "arc" heavy tales would be great - but I'm just being picky now!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil
RANK: Keeper of Traken


Number of posts : 5967
Age : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:34 am

Spoiler:
 

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Just Scott
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:44 am

I think SPOILER being cast as the new SPOILER is a SPOILERing great idea. It's about SPOILERing time! The last pair of SPOILERing SPOILERs in the role really SPOILERed the SPOILERs out of me!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doctor Detroit
RANK: Brigadier


Number of posts : 322
Age : 56
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:05 am

Brilliant shame we have to wait so long to see her in action.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doctor Detroit
RANK: Brigadier


Number of posts : 322
Age : 56
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:08 am

rdks wrote:
Moffat says...

"It always seems impossible when you start casting these parts, but when we saw Matt and Jenna together, we knew we had our girl. She's funny and clever and exactly mad enough to step on board the TARDIS.

"It's not often the Doctor meets someone who can talk even faster than he does, but it's about to happen. Jenna is going to lead him his merriest dance yet. And that's all you're getting for now. Who she's playing, how the Doctor meets her, and even where he finds her, are all part of one of the biggest mysteries the Time Lord ever encounters. Even by the Doctor's standards, this isn't your usual boy meets girl."

Also mentioned at the presser -

Series 7 will air 5 episodes in the autumn, then the Christmas special (where the new companion will join) followed by 8 episodes in the new year.

Amy & Rory will leave at the end of episode 5 after an encounter with the Weeping Angels. And not everyone will make it out alive (Moffat: "I mean it this time")

The Daleks will appear in the first half of the series.
Which Daleks though? Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just Scott
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:12 am

Doctor Detroit wrote:
Which Daleks though?

No doubt the "scary" & "menacing" Skittles/bumper car/kiddies playground Daleks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary
RANK: Time Lord President


Number of posts : 7474
Age : 19
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:22 pm

Great stuff! I remember her when she was in Emmerdale but not Waterloo Road, but I don't watch the latter that much.

Sad to see Rory go, not so much for Amy, but exciting to see a new companion on the way! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masterkhan
RANK: Prime Minister


Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Oh man, she's just a brunette version of Rose! The last Christmas special was the only ep i've seen since 2005 coz they didn't include any companions and i really enjoyed it. Matt Smith is a great Doctor but if they shoot him with 'Typical brat' companions then i'm not interested. I would have preferred an alien that actually looked alien like Spock. It's like we must have 'Young,fiesty,sexy girls' or no show these days and i'd hoped Dr Who had grown up by now from that' keep the dads happy' approach but heck no it's all the glamour these days that count. I will watch to see if i'm wrong but i think it seems certain i won't after that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur
RANK: The Doctor


Number of posts : 9504
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:10 pm

masterkhan wrote:
Oh man, she's just a brunette version of Rose! The last Christmas special was the only ep i've seen since 2005 coz they didn't include any companions and i really enjoyed it. Matt Smith is a great Doctor but if they shoot him with 'Typical brat' companions then i'm not interested. I would have preferred an alien that actually looked alien like Spock. It's like we must have 'Young,fiesty,sexy girls' or no show these days and i'd hoped Dr Who had grown up by now from that' keep the dads happy' approach but heck no it's all the glamour these days that count. I will watch to see if i'm wrong but i think it seems certain i won't after that.

I always thought Zoe was young, fiesty and sexy!! LOL

And Jo

And Liz...YUM!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The 2nd Doctor Roberts
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:41 am

Okay, for those of you who have actually seen "the new girl" in something, two questions:

*What's with the eyebrows?
*Can she act?

Seriously, can she sell a dramatic scene? I found Karen Gillan to be great at the light, comedic stuff, but the heavy stuff...not so much.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just Scott
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:28 am

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
*What's with the eyebrows?

Over here in the UK, Fuller eyebrows seem to be the latest thing for certain ladies. It seems to be a trend for a short time now. Kate Middleton & other celebritites have bucked the usually well plucked trend & others have followed. A "reality" show called "Desperate Scousewives" was where it all began (so my wofe says!)

All that being said, she would not be thrown out the bed for eating crackers!! Wink

As for acting, if she were to be a good actor, she would be the first of any in the latest batch of "actors"....all the main parts have been acted poorly.

Alot of these "actors" do not have the years of theatre training that others have had before. It's a downside to aiming for the younger "hipper" market with bringing in younger actors with virtually no life experience to draw from.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1216
Age : 48
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:42 am

Well, she's been in some big titles (like last year's Captain America movie).

I didn't even notice the eyebrows. But then, I had a huge crush on Brooke Shields in the 80s.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Scary
RANK: Time Lord President


Number of posts : 7474
Age : 19
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:42 pm

The fact she's on the cast means she can act, really. Wink But she was alright in Emmerdale, I thought. Here a clip from Emmerdale... Bare in mind it's a soap opera, the storylines will be better in Doctor Who (or will they? What with the Moff in charge Razz)...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan
RANK: Celestial Intervention Agent


Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:40 pm

Who wants to bet this new one's gonna want to sleep with the Doctor as did 90% of the women in the past 7 years of the Nu stuff?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:49 pm

I personally think she's brilliant in "Waterloo Road".

~
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:49 pm

The Castellan wrote:
Who wants to bet this new one's gonna want to sleep with the Doctor as did 90% of the women in the past 7 years of the Nu stuff?

There's a good chance of that...especially since they keep insisting on the show that the 11th Doctor is sooo attractive Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:55 pm

If you guys think that she can't act because she's young and hasn't been in theatre much, you really should watch "Waterloo Road". It's not a comedy. It's not even a light-drama.

Actually watch something before you start judging her based on looks and her lack of years!
~
Back to top Go down
Just Scott
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?   Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:14 pm

I wasn't referring to her when I mentioned the poor acting talent in Dr Who of late. I was referring to the others (Matt, Arthur, Karen, Freema, Billy etc)

My wife watches Waterloo Rd religiously & assures me that she may be good in her upcoming role.

My opinions were based solely on the acting abilities of the Classic Who actors over the NuWho actors. Nothing to do with looks or anything like that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
 
What do you think of Jenna-Louise as the new SPOILER?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: