Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:41 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Guys, this news really isn't substantiated yet. I expect Moffat to tweet about it soon denying it.

Rule 1) Moffat lies. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:43 pm

Scary wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:
Guys, this news really isn't substantiated yet. I expect Moffat to tweet about it soon denying it.

Rule 1) Moffat lies. Wink
But Moffat didn't say anything about it here. Though I'm sure he'd want to get Cumberpatch on Doctor Who.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:11 pm

I have not seen this actor so its interesting, I wish a more mature actor could be used to play the master.

I was so excited when he said "I AM THE MASTER" I though "wonderful, a mature actor with a real sense of power, wisdom and evil to play the Doctors archenemy". Then the disappointment that followed when he regenerated into the crazy annoying pathetic younger master.... Sigh.... It was amazing for 7 minuets.

I'm pleased that the best Doctor of the new series will be at the Tardis controls for the 50th year of Doctor who.

Last edited by ogron on Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:14 pm

Didn't Jacobi play The Master in one of the audio dramas?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emerdelac.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:19 pm

Shatterbang wrote:
Didn't Jacobi play The Master in one of the audio dramas?

I have had a look on BF website and cant see Jacobi as the Master, I could be wrong.... I know that in MASTER the cast list is -

Sylvester McCoy (The Doctor); Geoffrey Beevers (The Master); Philip Madoc RIP (Victor Schaeffer); Anne Ridler (Jacqueline Schaffer); Charlie Hayes (Jade); Daniel Barzotti (The Man); Joe Bassett (Child); Gary Russell (Whispering Voices)
Back to top Go down
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:23 pm

My mistake. He was The Master's voice in Scream of The Shalka.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emerdelac.wordpress.com
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:41 pm

The only Big Finish that Derek Jacobi was in was Deadline, an Unbound story written by Robert Sherman, in which he played The Doctor.

He was a fantastic, albeit brief, Master. I get to hear his voice every night at 7pm when my kids watch In The Night Garden, which he narrates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:02 am

This is from the season 6 Q&A in NYC:
Audience member #3: Whether or not this was ever an idea—what are your thoughts on Benedict Cumberbatch as the Master?

Steven Moffat: Well, as if my life weren’t complicated enough already! Uh listen, if John Simm could hear you, you would not live another hour. [audience laughter] I shouldn’t tell you this… but I’m going to. After [“The End of Time”] he’d been saying, “I think now that David’s left as the Doctor, I would have to leave the Master,” and he pulled me aside and said, “I didn’t mean that! Look at me, I’m fit, I’m okay!” So Benedict has to wait in line probably. And how confusing would it be? All four cheekbones on one screen! I tell you, I’ve stood between [Matt Smith and Benedict Cumberbatch] in a photograph; it’s a really really good way to look extra ugly.

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
squishy

Number of posts : 2155
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:37 pm

I'd only like John Simm back if he were to the play the Master as more serious evil, less zany evil. He's a fine actor and I know he can play a part without going over the top as his Master is so fond of doing. It shouldn't be a contest between the Doctor and Master as to which can act more batty in an episode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:05 pm

I remember seeing Simm quoted as saying he would love to do a regeneration for the next actor to take over as the Master.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:27 am

The Castellan wrote:
SeaDevil wrote:
Interesting news. I do hope we will be a menacing Master and not the buffoon Simm was.
Indeed.

i don't blame simms, i blame the writing, and i thought there were some really good moments with simms. i think it was just so awesome seeing dereck jacobi first, that anybody falls a bit short. lol

2nd, i kinda think i'll feel cheated if there is no regeneration, or explanation, even if simms just comes back for flash backs or something. could just be me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:13 am

I think Benedict would make a good Master, a really cunning one at that, but I kind of hope he doesn't. He's doing rather well without "Doctor Who" and I think they should bring in a new face, that is, if they're going to do a Master regeneration, instead of him because I think with how the Master was in series 4... I don't want to see his talent wasted in DW. Especially up against Matt Smith.

Derek Jacobi is a brilliant actor! I have most recently seen him in the "Cadfael" series though. Took me a bit to remember that he was Professor Yana/The Master there for a bit, but now I just want to remember him as everyone's favourite mystery-solving Monk. Smile
~
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:29 pm

I'd rather see Benedict as the Doctor if given the choice; regardless, AJ25 is correct - he is doing rather well without "Doctor Who".

Besides, he is such an awesome Sherlock that I would honestly rather see him continue on in that role and stay away from WHO until Sherlock has run it's course (hopefully many years from now).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:59 pm

Agreed on all accounts! I think his talent would be wasted if he was The Master put up against Matt Smith's Doctor. Not only that but to see his Master defeated by THAT Doctor would be a bit annoying despite it being the only reason for me to watch the new series again. Still, I hope they come up with someone new or they just keep John Simm.

Like you, I hope that "Sherlock" will go on and on because it is the best murder-mystery out there! Other than "Sherlock", he's been getting roles in more major movies so I'm hoping that he'll be too busy to even consider playing The Master.
~
Back to top Go down
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:40 pm

Sherlock is an amazing show and Benedict is one reason. Don't forget Martin Freeman. He is amazing. I am so excited that he is in The Hobbit. I first saw him in The Office, and later, Hitchhikers Guide, and each time he is so different and fantastic. The chemistry between the two is perfect.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:58 pm

The next time the Master appears, the Doctor should defeat his scheme, not the Master himself. Then it should be left vague as to whether the Master's plan was defeated or if he just planned for the Doctor to get through it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:34 pm

one of the problems as i see it, and this is just my opinion is that the master hasn't been a serious threat since he offed tom and forced him to regenerate. this is not to say that aniely didn't give some nice performances after but his character hasn't been used really properlly since then. i'm fine with a younger master to play off a younger doctor and i think matts doc is fine so i would actually like to see him engage the master at some point. but having said that i want the master to be a complete character again, with steely eyes and a fantastic story to go with it. imo alot of what makes his character suffer is the same thing that makes the doc's character suffer, and that is with gallifray gone, how can you be a renegade or a tyrant renegade, you've got nothing to rebel against. i think having gallifray gone was a cool thing that added drama, but i think a well concieved story to bring them back might be good for the show as a whole, for sooooo many reasons. the doc could be a real renegade again, actually running from them, agents chaseing him bringing in more characters, or any other ideas that work. wether you like joss whedons shows or not the one thing he does well that doctor who could benifit from right now is the time thats spent building characters and weaving them into the plot so that even a seemingly one off character can build into a great part of the ensamble cast, like anya for all my buffy fans for example. but anyway this is getting off topic. lol much love for the master.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:47 am

I'd like the next Master to be either old or crispy. Or both.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Maybe i'm putting homage to Delgado but i think the next Master should be played by someone with that middle eastern look. Ainley is my 2nd favourite but the dark sinister feeling of charm and elegance works better with Delgado's looks. Frankly someone who's the same age and has his charisma. But then he'll outshine Matt Smith!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Just Scott

Number of posts : 1234
Registration date : 2012-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:14 pm

masterkhan wrote:
But then he'll outshine Matt Smith!

Let's be honest - that wouldn't be hard!!

The doggy doo I trod on earlier could do that! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:44 am

masterkhan wrote:
...should be played by someone with that middle eastern look.

I wasn't aware that sinster looked like someone from the middle east. Wink

~

Back to top Go down
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Yeah, I know plenty of left-handed people who are European.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master   Today at 9:47 am

Back to top Go down

Benedict Cumberbatch To Play The Master
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: