Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Star Trek Sequel Villain cast

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CGren123

Number of posts : 2363
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:39 am

No word on who he's playing, but BBC's very own Sherlock is playing the Villain. Personally, I think whoever he plays, Benedict Cumberbatch will do an excellent job of it. I hope he isn't playing Khan though. That would simply be a cheap marketing gimmick as far as I'm concerned.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/01/04/exclusive-sherlock-star-benedict-cumberbatch-cast-in-major-star-trek-sequel-role/

Also, Noel Clarke (Mickey) is also playing a role in it! I can't wait for this now! I'm getting really geared up for this! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:13 am

Call me the odd one out, but I'd like to see a Trek film where there is no villain. A lot of good Trek stories out there had no villains; Devil in the Dark, The Naked Time, The Menagerie, Where Silence has Lease, Evolution, Home Soil, Time Squared, Contagency, Booby Trap, Galaxy Child, Identity Crisis, The Inner Light, Genesis, and Masks are a few examples.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CGren123

Number of posts : 2363
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:32 am

The Castellan wrote:
Call me the odd one out, but I'd like to see a Trek film where there is no villain. A lot of good Trek stories out there had no villains; Devil in the Dark, The Naked Time, The Menagerie, Where Silence has Lease, Evolution, Home Soil, Time Squared, Contagency, Booby Trap, Galaxy Child, Identity Crisis, The Inner Light, Genesis, and Masks are a few examples.

I agree with you. Those are some of the better episodes, but the problem is I don't think that type of episode would work on the big screen. Films need something big and bold to capture the audience's attention. Sadly, if they want to rake the big money in, there will be no adaption of "Devil in the Dark."

Also, The Naked Time as a good episode? Seriously? Laughing

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:07 am

The only Star Trek film my non-sci-fi-watching family members like is The Voyage Home, which has no villain, per-se. The situation acts as the protagonist.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:10 am

I think a strong villain is good. I just wish they'd do some actual exploring in the movies. I want to see them discovering amazing worlds, not just running through them with phasers flying! I want to see big cities and amazing sights. I thought the first reboot film was great but I hope they open up the scope a bit for this next one.

I'm excited about Cumberbatch playing the villain. It'll be interesting to see what he does.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2155
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:41 pm

I just watched "The Motion Picture" a couple days ago. Does V'GER count as a villian? About as much as the giant ice cream cone that likes to chat with whales.

Star Trek I, I liked it and it seems the closest to what Roddenberry wanted. Others complain it's too boring.

Star Trek IV, the least like Trek although the most popular among "everyone else".

So I think the franchise would take a risk without a more conventional villian to twirl a mustache.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:46 pm

They are making Star Trek for the masses now....not for the fans. But, I still hope some of Gene's dream will survive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:36 pm

I hope he plays a Mugato. Can you imagine how awesome a horny albino gorilla with a posh yet sinister English accent would be? It'd be the closest we get to a live action Grodd.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5896
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:42 pm

First thing I thought of was an evil Gary 7 Razz

Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:50 am

squishy wrote:
I just watched "The Motion Picture" a couple days ago. Does V'GER count as a villian? About as much as the giant ice cream cone that likes to chat with whales.

Star Trek I, I liked it and it seems the closest to what Roddenberry wanted. Others complain it's too boring.

Star Trek IV, the least like Trek although the most popular among "everyone else".

So I think the franchise would take a risk without a more conventional villian to twirl a mustache.

I myself am a fan of the motion picture, was my favorite of the films, and V'Ger was not a villain, it was an entity that was merely trying to answer its own question, "Is this all that I am? Is there nothing more?" Most people I know who call the motion picture boring have to have explosions and battles every 30 seconds.

Quote :
They are making Star Trek for the masses now....not for the fans. But, I still hope some of Gene's dream will survive.

Exactly, JJ's Trek is just for Joe Sixpack, and not dedicated fans. I felt the 2009 film was Trek in name only. I have this feeling that Trek, if they stay with the new, rebooted universe, and flushing the past 40+ years down the toilet, will be reduced to Michael Bay style popcorn flicks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:45 am

Well,my 40+ years of DVDs will never be flushed!! Just spent 2 years watching every episode of every series. Time to start over!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:05 am

Ronpur wrote:
Well,my 40+ years of DVDs will never be flushed!! Just spent 2 years watching every episode of every series. Time to start over!!

Same, got many episodes on VHS I got for like $0.25 to $0.50 a tape, with 2-3 episodes each, and a nice set of single episode tapes as well. Not going to throw them away just because it's old technology.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spacetimegeek

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:37 pm

I read on the startrek.com Micky is going to be in it to...yay!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5982
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:36 pm

Found these pics today...

I'm getting all excited!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:33 pm

You know, I saw those pics too, and it reminded me of the old episode where one of the crew members got God like powers, and I think he even turned silver towards the end of the episode. It's probably not that, but I always liked that episode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:07 pm

"Where No Man Has Gone Before" when Kirks old friend Gary got silver eyes is probably what you are thinking of.
Back to top Go down
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Thanks Whoosier! You are correct. I had the book version of that episode as well (actually, it was a novel of the whole season), and I really liked that story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:33 pm

Ah, the old James Blish adaptations. His novel "Spock Must Die" was the first Star Trek novel I ever read.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:06 am

And what sucks.....the damned brewery is coming back......oh god........they go out of the way to make the outside and insides of the mutated Enterprise as slick as possible....yet we got an ugly brewery with concrete floors, cinder block walls and no attempts to even make it look like some fancy, sleek thing......it looked horrible on the old V series, looks just bad here.

Plus who wants to be JJ's going to be overindulging his lens flare fetish once again?

This Trek fan's not happy. I hate JJ Trek as much as Batmanmarch hates NuWho.
My only hope is we get something of the 'real' trek universe that we've had for over 40 years.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:09 pm

I would have loved it if you were at the helm of redesigning the hardware, Castellan, your work would definitely proved miles better. Sadly the first 09 film makes that big mistake on Starfleet design, but the uniforms were good and i thought the actors were top notch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:33 pm

masterkhan wrote:
I would have loved it if you were at the helm of redesigning the hardware, Castellan, your work would definitely proved miles better. Sadly the first 09 film makes that big mistake on Starfleet design, but the uniforms were good and i thought the actors were top notch.

The idea of Kirk being some James Dean, Mr. Bad Ass rebel without a clue role was something I hated.....give me the booky, dorky, respectable Kirk in TOS any day, tired of the "Bad Boy" image being glorified so long. JJ Kirk: I'm a douche, yet people think I'm cool!

Glad you like my work, thanks.....though, had I been in charge, there would have been no reboot. Despite what JJ said, it's a reboot, and not just a different reality, since the stuff before Nero, whom I felt was one of Trek's most forgettable characters, showed up, with the styles and designs. I would have gone for either a Picard story happening several years after Nemesis, or Riker and the Titan. I am sorry....but with JJ, he pretty much went and flushed 40+ years of Trek down the toilet, replacing it with this Star Wars esque (and JJ himself said he barely seen trek, and is a die hard Star Wars fan and said, "What can I learn from Star Wars here to give audiences that same experience when they saw Star Wars?" and that, my friends, showed me he does not get it), summer block buster, Michael Bay-esque pop corn series of action flicks that is Star Trek in name only.

Not to mention a few poorly used past Trek references, like Sulu's stupid fencing followed by a cheesy grin bit, the name of the Ice Planet (which is totally wrong), or even the eels. I mean if one's gonna put in references, at least do it right. heck, as much as I dislike Star Wars, if I was in charge of making a SW film, I'd not throw in some random past references and them not even being right, just to sound like I was attempting a feeble effort to please fans, no. I'd be looking up every little bit of information, so that the fans, as well the Joe Sixpacks (and I don't mean abs) can enjoy it without the former feeling like they were ignored for the latter. Lucas already been doing that for about 15 years and wrecked his stuff.

Not to mention my film, if I was doing it, would be more in line with something Bob Wise or Stanley Kubrick would have done, since those sorta guys, in a Hollywood full of Michael Bays and JJ Abramses, are a rare, and apparently dying, breed that has to somehow be preserved, so that we are not 100% immersed in realty/Jersey Shore trash that now dominates both the big and small screens. Like my friend, Batmanmarch on Youtube, said in a recent Q and A, with his very fine girlfriend, that television is "nothing but crap these days", and films are pretty much the same. Trek, so it seems, has also fallen into this trap, sadly. Many might disagree with me, but I was never mainstream to begin with, thankfully.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
masterkhan

Number of posts : 631
Registration date : 2011-10-14

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:18 pm

I have that feeling whenever someone mentions " did you know they're remaking this... into a movie? " I mean look how dull Superman movies are since Reeve left the role, with the exception of IV, Thunderbirds, the live action movie and there's far too many more. But that's what the power of money and clueless minds can do, and breaks your dream.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Hence why I will always be around to say my thoughts. And not just films....be it political, or my paranormal researches, people scream conspiracy theorist or tinfoil hat, I don't let them get to me, I post more of whatever it is and keep on discussing. Not going to let some clueless/narrow/closed minds ruin it for me, not going to let the babies have their bottles, simple as that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:54 pm

masterkhan wrote:
... I mean look how dull Superman movies are since Reeve left the role, with the exception of IV...

As a little kid in 1978 I loved the Superman movie... but as I got older I started to despise it. The goofy way he plays Clark (the way it was written in the script, I'm sure) is easy enough to overlook, despite the character coming off completely as someone who would not get a job at a major metropolitan newspaper.

What really kills that movie for me is Lex Luthor. He knows he's evil, which is stupid. True evil believes it's doing the right thing. Adolph Hitler truly, honestly, believed he was working for the benefit of the human race. That's what makes Nazi's scary. They really do believe they are the good guys.

Lex, in that movie, has no believable goal for his wrongdoing. He has this nebulous idea of getting power and wealth, but what's he going to do with it?

The funny thing is, that movie got me interested in reading the comic books, which really were just as silly at the time... but then DC did that first reboot of Supes in the 80s. Suddenly there was a Lex Luthor who was believable. He honestly thought he was working to improve and protect Metropolis. He really did believe that Superman might be a threat. He was an arrogant ass who had some serious trouble parsing the idea of morality, but he thought he was the good guy.

Ultimately, the comic books caused me to see the Christopher Reeves Superman as cheesy and idiotic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Who North America

Number of posts : 5642
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Star Trek Sequel Villain cast   Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:24 pm

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whona.realtvboard.com

Star Trek Sequel Villain cast
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: