Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

THE HOBBIT

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
squishy

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:32 pm

Ronpur wrote:
I am not sure why the eagles don't talk, maybe in the next one?

I think that talking animals = childish/Disney in producer's minds. None of the animals had audible speech although between Gandalf and Radagast there were several conversations. I think the producers are just afraid that once a furry animal gets a silly Scots accent that the movie won't be nominated for any awards.

I saw the film last night and enjoyed it. What was added slightly changed the tone, but now I've got two versions of the story to enjoy. I never realized that Thorin was such a jerk about Hobbits, elves, and the other families not helping but I suppose this helps give the film character more motivation. Lots more little changes here and there, but the same basic tale and well worth seeing in the theater.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5858
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:25 pm

Got tix for the IMAX 3D high frame rate version for Sunday. Can't wait Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:51 am

Here's a couple shorter adaptations of "The Hobbit" that you may not have seen:

An "ashcan" adaptation from 1966: an animated slideshow made solely to retain rights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRqbdpbDwVo

(Slag? Bilbo falls in love with a princess? 12 minutes?)

And here's the opening of a Russian animated version that got shelved. (Presumably because they realized they needed to follow copyright law.)

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xke6v5_russian-animation-the-hobbit-english-subtitles-1994_shortfilms#.UNPixqY3i1c
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:25 pm

I liked it, but could have done without the added
Spoiler:

subplot.

When the troll thought Bilbo had come out of his nose was a favorite moment of humor.

How they depicted Bilbo choosing not to kill Gollum was, to me, very poignant. I was hearing both Gandalf earlier line about choosing not to kill and the LotR line to Frodo about choosing who lives and dies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Who North America

Number of posts : 5691
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Loved it; thought it was brilliant (watched it in IMAX 3-D).

Felt perfect; pace was wonderful, I would not have removed a single piece.

Can't wait for the next one. Feels very congruous with Lord of the Rings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whona.realtvboard.com
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:14 pm

I loved Smaug, the spiders and the elves. Laketown was amazing. Beorn was great as the bear and human form. Disappointing that they did not do the introduction of the dwarves one at a time to him. For the most part, I enjoyed the additions, but the plot line with Fili and the She-elf isn't one of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4624
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:03 pm

I thought it was over-long. I love being transported to that world, but the final action set piece kind of annoyed me because it had no effect whatsoever, as it accomplished nothing. I mean, it couldn't because that'd significantly have changed Smaug's end. So it all felt a bit pointless. I thought the Fili/Tauriel thing worked better than I thought it would. It was kind of sweet, and round Filli out as a character. So he joins Balin and Thorin as dwarves you actually care about in the movie.

I still greatly enjoyed the movie, don't get me wrong, but this was the first of these movies that actually felt long to me. I love all the Gandalf/Radagast stuff. But, I thought it was odd that Gandalf visited the tombs AGAIN, even though didn't he kind of accomplish what he needed to there when he visited in the first film? That just felt a bit repetitious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:00 pm

Gandalf visited the tombs in the first movie? I remember Radagast going to Dol Guldur, but nothing about the tombs of the Ringwraiths. The only reason I enjoyed the action sequence with Smaug is that you get to see more of Smaug!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1817
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:44 pm

I liked it better than part 1.
I thought Bard looked like Will Turner. I appreciate that they gave him some character development unlike the book where he miraculously appears as a deus ex machina.
Tauriel was cool & had the best ears. I was expecting her to be one of many warrior elf women, so it was a bit disappointing that she was the only one. I didn't mind the love triangle. Thrandruil was a jerk to her, so I can't wait for Lee Pace to play Ronan.
I wanted more talking spiders & Bilbo calling them names.
In the book, doesn't Beorn smash the orcs on his lawn whilst the dwarves eat breakfast served by dogs?
It seems like a good idea to split the dwarves up so some of them could grow personalities.
What happened to all the Laketown armour the Dwarves were outfitted with when they got to Erebor?
Why is Laketown the only place in Middle Earth with any racial diversity?
Do you think Stephen Fry got to take the portrait & giant statue of the Master of Laketown home?
Stephen Colbert was supposed to be one of his spies.
Peter Jackson does action scenes well so they don't feel rote. Gandalf in the castle & the part where Bombur's barrel bounced out of the rivers & he fought the orcs on the shoreline were standouts.
Aside from Azog (he's Deathstroke!), I don't like the orc designs in these prequels. They look too beefy like Uruk-Hais yet they're stealthy enough to enter Laketown unseen & dance across rooftops. The Moria orcs in Fellowship look best to me. I wish they stuck with Bolg's original design: http://i.imgur.com/XLp8R.jpg Why didn't Legolas shoot him in the back when he rode off?
Movie Bilbo is not as clever as book Bilbo. Why does he keep taking the Ring off during perilous situations?
Smaug was stupendous!
I'm disappointed there's so few 6" toys available.
Having the Necromancer officially reveal itself to be Sauron does seem like it should present some continuity issues for LOTR. The orcs also were using Morgul arrows instead of regular poisoned arrows so the Mirkwood elves should definitely know something big is up.
Since Gandalf's staff is destroyed & Radagast doesn't appear in FOTR despite being referenced in the book, some suspect that Radagast will die in the next movie & bequeath Gandalf his staff.
http://www.the-editing-room.com/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/

THE HOBBIT
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: