Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

THE HOBBIT

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:20 pm

I addressed the 3-movie issue on Tumblr: http://jaredofmo.tumblr.com/post/37002372003/why-they-are-making-three-hobbit-movies

But for those who don't want to go there...

Quote :
Why they are making THREE Hobbit movies?

I keep seeing people wonder why they’re making “The Hobbit” into three movies when it was just one book.

Frankly, if they did one movie, think about it: you have the dwarves going to defeat Smaug, then he gets killed. Then you have this crazy stuff with the Battle of the Five Armies. It’s like the trip to Glinda’s at the end of “The Wonderful Wizard of Oz,” it feels like an anti-climax. And people had enough problems with “The Return of the King” having “too many endings.” But if you cut out the Battle of the Five Armies, that cuts out a bit of Middle-Earth history.

That was the reason why they initially split the movie into two parts, to avoid the anticlimax but still retaining that part of the story.

So, why THREE movies? Basically, the Tolkien Estate is going to refuse to sell the rights to any other Tolkien books, so this is basically the last chance Peter Jackson and Company have to film Middle-Earth, so they mined the appendices of “The Return of the King” for all the information they could. This means we’ll see the White Council, which is why they have Cate Blanchett back as Galadriel and even had Christopher Lee back as Saruman. Plus, we get Radagast!

Thing is, we should know that Peter Jackson doesn’t make short movies. Thus, giving the story the treatment to make it worthy of being the prelude to the Lord of the Rings films, all of that would make for a long, long movie, even with the former two-movie split. Thus, to make movies people could actually sit through, they decided to do three instead of two.

Here’s my thoughts on where the films will split:

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

“An Unexpected Journey” — Stops either just before Mirkwood or just after, showing a radically changed Bilbo already at the end. I can see them using the capture by the Wood-Elves as a cliffhanger.

“The Desolation of Smaug” — Will contain the bulk of the White Council Story, death of Smaug.

“There and Back Again” — The Battle of the Five Armies, Bilbo returns to Bag End.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4624
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:11 pm

So excited about this! Watched the Extended Editions of LOTR, and then picked up a very nice leatherette-bound edition of The Hobbit and read it again. I hadn't since I was a kid! I picked up LOTR too to read again.

After reading The Hobbit again, I can see how they are going to make the three films. I suspect the breakdown above is probably pretty accurate. Not too much longer now!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:39 pm

jaredofmo wrote:

Here’s my thoughts on where the films will split:

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!

“An Unexpected Journey” — Stops either just before Mirkwood or just after, showing a radically changed Bilbo already at the end. I can see them using the capture by the Wood-Elves as a cliffhanger.

“The Desolation of Smaug” — Will contain the bulk of the White Council Story, death of Smaug.

“There and Back Again” — The Battle of the Five Armies, Bilbo returns to Bag End.
[/quote]
I'm re-reading "The Hobbit" a chapter a night trying to figure out the split too. But I was guessing more of the Appendicies equally divided between films one and two. The break? Initial guess was that they'd want gollum in two movies, so they'd load film one with a "ton" of Appendix stuff and wizard business and not even get to Bilbo near mid-way through the first film. Then end "Unexpected" with Bilbo lost in the Goblin cave with Gollum just arriving. We think that Radagast and the rest of the wizards will appear in the first film so they need something to do with the History of Middle Earth before the quest begins.

But now I'm further along reading and I think you're correct about the break being at the entrance to Mirkwood. The gang splits up into two parties at this point as Gandalf leaves the dwarves. Very similar to the splitting of the Fellowship in the LOTR film.

Only a few chapters remain in my re-reading to figure out the split for the next two. Gandalf can go off and have lots of adventures for half the movie while the dwarves have a parallel adventure ending with the defeat of Smaug. Just trying to figure out what kind of narrative that will leave for the third film, but that's the part I haven't read for years so I need my memory jogged about the details!

End of SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS! SPOILERS!
but it's a novel now half a century old. If you haven't read it yet, then you're missing out. I'm assuming the movie will be fun and entertaining, but much like LOTR also a bit different. To get the most out of this I'd read the book before seeing the movie (and it's less than 300 pages so you can get through it farily quickly).
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:55 pm

This is funny, I watched the animated version of The Hobbit yesterday. That is the totality of my experience with the saga. One of the 24 hour t-shirt sites had a glow in the dark feature for a 'Sting' shirt.
Back to top Go down
squishy

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:42 pm

Just watch the RankineBass Hobbit last night too. They seem to get it all into the show at just over 70 minutes. All except Beorn.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:45 pm

I just saw that the first movie will be a little over 3 HOURS! Shocked

I really thought with them splitting it into three movies, that each of the movies would be a little shorter. Crazy. From a first review, it sounds like there is a good bit at the start that's a flashback/prologue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:14 pm

3 hours for the theatrical release? Wonder how long the Extended Version DVD will end up?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:17 pm

I would think with the 3 movies there might not be extended versions. But then again, I didn't think the movies would be 3 hours!

Edit:
Just read a review, and it seems that:

Spoilers....

The climax of the movie is the confrontation with the Goblins and Wargs while Gandalf, Bilbo and the Dwarves are in the trees. Which means it probably ends after that business is done, with Gandalf heading one direction and Bilbo and the Dwarves heading into the forest. But it seems like we'll see the White Council in the first movie in some fashion, so not sure how that works. Maybe in flashback.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:34 pm

squishy wrote:
3 hours for the theatrical release? Wonder how long the Extended Version DVD will end up?

After they announced the trilogy, the extended version was "un-confirmed."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:25 pm

I saw the action figures for the movie at a shop a couple weeks ago. I had considered buying some.

After seeing them, I decided to save my money. I didn't think the likenesses were that good. I know what Martin Freeman and Aidan Turner look like and thanks to promo stuff, I know what they look like in character in this movie. The figures didn't look like them at all.

Makes me wish Design Works Windsor was doing more lines. Even their iffy likenesses on the Doctor Who figures are pretty great.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:37 am

I just got the remainder of the 6'' figures in the line (after purchasing Gandalf a while back) and I have to say I'm really pleased with them! Gandalf's likeness is really great. The only one I think is so-so is Thorin's. In a weird way, I think the 3.75'' figure is better. At first when I saw pictures I didn't think Bilbo was that great, but having him in real life I can really see Martin Freeman in the sculpt. I have no issues with Legolas or Tauriel either, really, other than the limited articulation afforded by their costumes. I just started recollecting the LOTR line after selling mine. Those were amazing figures. I don't think this line comes quite to that level (yet, but Toy Biz started out rough too) but they are an amazing first effort from The Bridge Direct. I'd actually say that their efforts are pretty on par with Doctor Who as far as hit and miss of the likenesses.

But, I must say my REAL love is for the smaller line. The 3.75'' figures are just a ton of fun and they've already released a nice selection of them.

I posted a full set of pictures (again, these are all 3.75'') on Flickr here, if anyone wants to see: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31045631@N00/sets/72157632026500643/

Here is a selection of them though:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1817
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:38 am

What scenery are you using?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:32 am

It's the Oracle by Schleich and Telmarine Castle from the Prince Caspian line. I just got them for backdrops for my Hobbit figures! Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 am

i dont know if its been said yet, but sylvester mcoy is gonna be in the next one! just saw a pic of him in make up in entertainment weekly!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:17 am

hitman hart wrote:
i dont know if its been said yet, but sylvester mcoy is gonna be in the next one! just saw a pic of him in make up in entertainment weekly!

Yep, the other wizard, Radagast the Brown! His role is expanded and I think he will be in all 3 at some point, I hope! I wonder if he helped talk Ian McKellan into being in the Christmas Special!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:44 am

I read a review last night, and Radagast is in the first one.

According to the review, the film cuts off just before
Spoiler:

To help the first film work on its own
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:21 am

jaredofmo wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm looking forward to this film either way, but that first section of the film has some of the best stuff in the book... so why?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:25 am

I think it's to help it give it a bit more of a feel of "there's a story we finished here" rather than just "Ha! You have to wait until next year to see more of the story!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Yeah, I think the intention is to make film one about
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:50 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
I read a review last night, and Radagast is in the first one.

Spoiler:

If that bad guy is
Spoiler:

then he really only appears in a single sentence in The Hobbit. I wouldn't mind that character
Spoiler:

I wouldn't mind waiting a year to find out what happens next, but Joe Public is not that patient.

Hmm, so close to the film now. I should know the story, so it doesn't seem possible for there to be spoilers. But if there is some re-working going on then maybe I should avoid the spoilers here until I've seen Part 1?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5966
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:08 pm

Here's a couple pics of our man Sylv as Radagast...

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:18 pm

I actually think the Necromancer, AKA Sauron, will be felt through all three films, setting up The Lord of the Rings. Reportedly, Benedict Cumberbatch is voicing him as well.

The new bad guy in the first movie is
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:22 pm

Love the Radagast costume! I'm really excited Sylvester is getting a part in it, though from what I have heard his character might be polarizing for some of the adult audience. I hope we get a figure of him sooner than later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:31 pm

If I remember right, wasn't Thorin's father imprisoned by the Necromancer? And Gandalf found him and that is where Gandalf obtained the map and key.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: THE HOBBIT   Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:13 am

Ronpur wrote:
If I remember right, wasn't Thorin's father imprisoned by the Necromancer? And Gandalf found him and that is where Gandalf obtained the map and key.
Twisted Evil (No other nodding emoticon that isn't evil.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

THE HOBBIT
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: