Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Farewell, Ponds!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Farewell, Ponds!   Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:46 pm

squishy wrote:

And about time companions start showing up and leaving mid-season. It would be fine if they didn't even announce the new companion and we were left guessing each week which Red Shirt would actually survive to be the new companion. "Oooh, she seems nice... Yikes! Eaten by a minotuar! Well this next one seems pleasant ... Oh no, the Krotons ate her brain!"

In this day and age of the internet, twitter, and the glut of media coverage... I doubt we will get any surprises for companions anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Farewell, Ponds!   Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:19 pm

I was thinking maybe the only thing heartbreaking will be the goodbyes that are said between the Ponds and the Doctor. Perhaps we're reading too much into this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Farewell, Ponds!   Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:36 pm

squishy wrote:
The Series 6 send-off was quite good and unexpected. Hopefully Moffat can come up with something equally good. Now that the Doctor has faked his death and is keeping a low profile there shouldn't be any big deaths for a while. Killing them off while the Doctor was learning he's made himself a target would have been fine. But now, not so much even if Karen has asked for it.

And about time companions start showing up and leaving mid-season. It would be fine if they didn't even announce the new companion and we were left guessing each week which Red Shirt would actually survive to be the new companion. "Oooh, she seems nice... Yikes! Eaten by a minotuar! Well this next one seems pleasant ... Oh no, the Krotons ate her brain!"
"Do you have what it takes to be my companion? Lets see if you can last one adventure with me."

"Before I give up?"

"Before you die. You wouldn't be the first. Many have died in my adventures. Even I have."
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Farewell, Ponds!   Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:58 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
I was thinking maybe the only thing heartbreaking will be the goodbyes that are said between the Ponds and the Doctor. Perhaps we're reading too much into this?

That's possible. Remember all the hype we had about the mid-series finale for series 6? About how game-changing it would be, and how nothing would be the same....well, it wasn't exactly the most epic thing ever....
Back to top Go down
Jackknight

Number of posts : 318
Registration date : 2011-10-08

PostSubject: Re: Farewell, Ponds!   Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:59 pm

squishy wrote:

I like your way of thinking. It's nice not to know what's happening ahead of time. Surprise us.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://CriticalMess.net

PostSubject: Re: Farewell, Ponds!   Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:06 pm

It's impossible for them to surprise us...how could they possibly do that? Not even lying to us will help. I mean...Cruel Angel mentioned all the media coverage, which is a huge factor...but these days we even get so much spoiled through filming reports..to the point where you just can't hide information about the cast. Even for the Christmas special this year, news of the cast was out way before any official announcements. It won't be long before the news breaks out and we know exactly what episode will the Pond's last and exactly what episode will the the new companion(s)' first....all long before the series begins to air.
Back to top Go down
squishy

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Farewell, Ponds!   Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:42 pm

Have the BBC announce 4 "new companions" to appear in the series, but not say which one will survive to Series 8. They could milk the interviews with actresses saying "Mr. Moffat hasn't revealed which of us will survive". A whole series of surprises and twists that would still allows all the set leaks and BBC publicity to tell everyone what's coming without revealing who the real next companion will be. Sure you'll see them in the super spoilerific "next time" trailer but who is to say that isn't a flashback, shape-shifting alien, hooping back-in-time thing and they're already dead?

Have we ever gotten the straight answer about Series 7 in 2012 and what happens for 2013? Wasn't 2012 to be another "light" year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Farewell, Ponds!   Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:04 pm

squishy wrote:

Have we ever gotten the straight answer about Series 7 in 2012 and what happens for 2013? Wasn't 2012 to be another "light" year?

Not sure what you mean by "light", but basically series 7 was moved to the Fall of 2012 so that the show itself would move from always being shown in the Spring to always being shown in the Fall. That way, the 2013 anniversary falls on what the actual anniversary would be, in the Fall. Another reason I read for it being shown in the Fall instead of Spring is because of it getting darker outside sooner in the Fall than it does in the Spring...which keeps more in tone with the show once it is broadcast in the early evening.
Back to top Go down
squishy

Number of posts : 2144
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Farewell, Ponds!   Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:47 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
squishy wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "light", but basically series 7 was moved to the Fall of 2012 so that the show itself would move from always being shown in the Spring to always being shown in the Fall. That way, the 2013 anniversary falls on what the actual anniversary would be, in the Fall. Another reason I read for it being shown in the Fall instead of Spring is because of it getting darker outside sooner in the Fall than it does in the Spring...which keeps more in tone with the show once it is broadcast in the early evening.

By "light", I meant a reduced series with fewer episodes. Didn't the BBC1 controller announce a shorter 2012 as they planned for a big 2013? Or was it all a big misunderstanding in the end and we're getting a normal Series 7 that just happens to not start until Fall 2012? It was all so long ago back in May or June 2011 that all the fuss occured that I haven't been keeping track. I was hoping we'd just get a clue about the new plan during the end credits to the Christmas episode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Farewell, Ponds!   Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:26 am

squishy wrote:
Have the BBC announce 4 "new companions" to appear in the series, but not say which one will survive to Series 8.

Something like this has already happened with BF's 8th Doctor stories. Perhaps you're thinking of that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Farewell, Ponds!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: