Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:11 am

It's time to "rest" the Christmas special concept. This one was more than a little bland. And wibbley-wobbly. And not in a timey-wimey sort of way.

Performances were fine, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:30 am

I've like the past Christmas specials and was looking forward to this... but I found it a little silly and poorly explained (why is there a box leading to another planet?).

I did like the ending, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:34 am

Calixar wrote:
I've like the past Christmas specials and was looking forward to this... but I found it a little silly and poorly explained (why is there a box leading to another planet?).

I did like the ending, though.

The Doctor explained that bit. He had put the gift there as a Christmas present for the Arwells. The planet was "one of the safest planets" he knew. So he meant to take them on a fun trip to a world where natural Christmas trees occurred. Of course it all went wrong...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:35 pm

So, the Doctor can just make his own little stable wormhole that's more reliable than the TARDIS? That's pretty big news for the Who Universe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:13 pm

It is mentioned that the box is being operated by the TARDIS in the attic. Hence why he was rewiring the TARDIS when the daughter walked in on him, and why the present was wrapped in TARDIS blue paper.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:36 pm

i didn't find it any hokeier than any of the other christmas episodes. i enjoyed it alot.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:05 am

I loved this one. I liked last year's just a little bit better, but this was still a great ep. Had me choked up at the end. Especially since Moffat said that Amy and Rory's final exit from the show is going to be 'heartbreaking'. I'm almost scared to see what happens.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:44 am

TinDogRory wrote:
It is mentioned that the box is being operated by the TARDIS in the attic. Hence why he was rewiring the TARDIS when the daughter walked in on him, and why the present was wrapped in TARDIS blue paper.

That is why the Doctor kept asking if the brother was still in bed, his "equipment" detected the tampering with the box by the brother.

I watched this again,and I must say, I like the smaller scale of the story, not about an alien invasion of Earth or the death of the universe. Just a small family in crisis and in trouble.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: