Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:32 pm

There may be spoilers in this thread! lol.

Androzani Major!!

Not as much Narnia as I was believing it would be, lol. I enjoyed, love 11's wacky-ness. And his repairs to the house. The harvesting of the trees by melting them is very much something I would imagine from a group from Androzani. And I want that Christmas Tree!

I also thought it was very troubling that there was no mention of when Doctor Who returns......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:17 pm

Yes, the lack of "Doctor Who Returns in 2012" or something was sad.

I thought the Androzani reference was fun and appropriate.
In fact, there were a lot of fun things in this. I liked the tree king and queen. And Matt is such a brilliant Doctor. Even if it doesn't all come together to be my favorite ever, it was still so fun to get some Doctor Who at Christmas. I hope it goes on forever and ever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:44 pm

did not see this yet. must not read spoilers. No
Back to top Go down
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:57 pm

MattyLover11 wrote:

Better stay out of this thread!! LOL.

I want a Lemonade faucet in my kitchen, too!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Sun Dec 25, 2011 9:58 pm

Ronpur wrote:
MattyLover11 wrote:

LOL - yes. I could do without the upgraded chairs though. That'd probably just be inconvenient after a while. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:03 pm

jonwes wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
MattyLover11 wrote:

LOL - yes. I could do without the upgraded chairs though. That'd probably just be inconvenient after a while. Smile

Only want them when cleaning the floor!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TinDogRory

Number of posts : 1356
Registration date : 2010-07-20

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:00 am

I liked it a lot. The Style was a bit more Nutcracker-ish, than Narnia - that was saved more for the flavoring of the episode. It wasn't the best, but far form the worst. Certainly what it means to the Doctor is quite good. (I was half expecting You Know Who to also be at dinner, though.)

Enjoyable romp, Matt was excellent. And I got quite the kick from the Androzani reference.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:10 am

i still haven't seen it! Evil or Very Mad Mad getting a bit ANNOYED!!!
Back to top Go down
spacetimegeek

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:46 pm

It was good. Last years was better, but it gets a bit to sappy and Miner/Guards or whatever they were suppose to be were underused and a little to Three Stooges. I like humor and the wackiness, but it could be dialed down a bit for some episodes. Madge I thought was brilliant, she was brave and determined, but had feel of irreverence and a nonchalant attitude towards huge otherworldly events. She's flying a wooden Doppler radar dome through the time vortex while having a whole planets forest spirit nation in her head and it was like a drive to the store for her. At least until she had to think of her husband. Like i said it was good, but wasn't spectacular. (How come the children didn't go insane staring into the time vortex?)
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:22 pm

It was goo but very weird. Laughing
Back to top Go down
rmlextreme

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:15 pm

It wouldnt be Dr Who without the Weird

I was expecting natalie portman to be in this

Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium Now starring Matt Smith Smile
i never saw this movie only clips but it reminded me of it

i give it a 4/5 they come through every year so

Thanks BBC and the Cast/Crew of Doctor Who

Please im begging no more Amy and Rory in 2012!!!!!! lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:36 pm

finally got to see this- being the only member of my family without the flu. Wish I could have spent more time watching- spent too much time getting ginger ale and clorox wipes...not too festive.

By and large- very good episode- always love the episodes that are more stand alone.
Andrazoni!!!! Yeah!!!!!

no yeah...no previews for 2012- sinister me thinks. Come on bbc- you have a good thing going- promote it!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:55 pm

i would kinda like to see a season like tom baker wanted to do. don't give matt a companion. i mean hes in hiding, and could keep a lower profile. that would mean more interesting characters to work with and more attention on the doctor. imagine if he got the companion in the last story. idk just trying to think of some outside of the box things. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmlextreme

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:18 pm

I say dont fix it if it aint Broken.

I am bummed cause itunes and not added it , and comcast has not added due to the Holiday carrying into Monday.

Happy Boxing Day All!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior

Number of posts : 3946
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Loved it. One of the funniest Christmas specials ever!

I know!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:10 am

It was better than I thought it would be. I could have done without the beginning, though, of the Doctor blowing up a space ship like he is Luke Skywalker or James Bond, then flying off into space, and catching the space suit like he was Batman riding a Door in Batman and Robin.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:23 am

bret_owen99 wrote:
It was better than I thought it would be. I could have done without the beginning, though, of the Doctor blowing up a space ship like he is Luke Skywalker or James Bond, then flying off into space, and catching the space suit like he was Batman riding a Door in Batman and Robin.

I actually thought that scene was pretty funny. Very Happy cheers Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:03 am

Did you all know - Reg (Husband of Marge and Father of the two kids that "dies" in the bomber) voices Mr Smith in The Sarah Jane Adventures and in the Doctor Who episodes "The Stolen Earth" and "Journey's End".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:30 am

ogron wrote:
Did you all know - Reg (Husband of Marge and Father of the two kids that "dies" in the bomber) voices Mr Smith in The Sarah Jane Adventures and in the Doctor Who episodes "The Stolen Earth" and "Journey's End".

no i didn't know that. Smile
Back to top Go down
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:50 am

ogron wrote:

Never knew that. Cool!

We didn't get a poll for this episode? That is no fun!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2155
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:07 pm

A fun episode, the beginning more than the end which became very obvious. But its Christmas so I'll let the sappy ending slide. Amy and Rory really ended up unessecary and could ahve done without them. This also takes away from a dramatic re-introduction at the beginning of Series 7.

Not sure why Moffat decided on throwing in Androzani Major as it has nothing to add to the episode. Fun for the hard-core fans but the general public will miss out. Odd that the Doctor would think that Androzani to be the safest planet in the universe when he knows about the mercenaries, gun-runner robots and he "died" there. Was it ever made clear that they definintely were on Androzani Major and not just a case of Androzani Major employees visiting a local planet?

Last edited by squishy on Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:13 pm

Well, they said they were FROM Androzani Major, which made me believe they were visiting. And they also said the trees were Androzani trees, so maybe they were on a farm planet or even an earlier time on Androzani Minor, before they turned it into a desert by acid rain.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:35 pm

I watched this for a second time today and I have to say I enjoyed it more the second time around, for whatever reason. Even though I think some parts feel a bit flat the sum of the whole is definitely greater than the parts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shatterbang

Number of posts : 579
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:53 pm

This is the better of the two Matt Smith Christmas specials. I really liked it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://emerdelac.wordpress.com
rmlextreme

PostSubject: Re: The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special   Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:51 pm

Hammocks are Cool!!!!!!!

possible spoiler
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile

The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe - Xmas Special
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: