Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Doctor Who MOVIE coming?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:21 pm

To me, it doesn't make sense to have a movie be something completely new just based on the show. Rather, it should be designed as a jumping-on point for new fans.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5896
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:02 pm

Yup... series cliff hanger into the regeneration... start the new Doc off in the theatrical movie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:39 am

Filmed Wednesday night (Nov 30th) -

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:26 pm

They should have Neil Gaiman write it... or, Michael Moorcock... a big name.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Alan Moore could write it & then give all these negative interviews about how they ruined his vision by translating it from the typed scripts & sharing it with the public.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5896
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:08 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Alan Moore could write it & then give all these negative interviews about how they ruined his vision by translating it from the typed scripts & sharing it with the public.

lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doctor Detroit

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:06 am

Latest from the Moff, the Movie will be made by the BBC cheers, and The Doctor will be the current tv Doctor at the time of filming. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CGren123

Number of posts : 2363
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:10 am

Doctor Detroit wrote:
Latest from the Moff, the Movie will be made by the BBC cheers, and The Doctor will be the current tv Doctor at the time of filming. Very Happy

I thought it was IF there is a Movie...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:32 pm

Earth to Moff: he doesn't controll the copyrights. He is in charge of the TV Series. If BBC wanted to extend and sell the copyrights for a major motion picture, they can do so without his approval.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:36 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
Earth to Moff: he doesn't controll the copyrights. He is in charge of the TV Series. If BBC wanted to extend and sell the copyrights for a major motion picture, they can do so without his approval.

Ummm... Rights (or rather, licenses) and copyrights are very different. If they sold the copyright of Doctor Who, that would be a blunder for the BBC as they couldn't legally produce anymore episodes then.

I suspect Moffat, who does listen to the fans, sent some of the big wigs at the BBC some stern e-mails about that and they agreed with him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:53 am

Movie right, book rights, and TV rights are different. Hence, there once was a time that Virgin was making books, Big Finish was making audios, and the BBC and Fox joint produced the Paul McGann story.

BBC can retain TV rights while granting Film rights to someone else.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 am

Copyrights....Rights (sorry jargon police). As far as Moffat telling the big wigs at BBC what to do, why is it we haven't heard from them yet? As far as I'm concerned, untill an Executive at the BBC backs up what Moffat is saying, he is the one shooting off at the mouth, and getting fans hopes up (which is what he's been good at this last series).

Calixar is right. As far as I see, I could see the BBC selling off the movie rights to an American company, for the sole purpose of making money off the deal. They (the BBC executives) want money, not fan appreciation. These are the ones who Axed Confidential, and charged an arm and a leg for the "Official" Doctor Who convention.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:32 am

They wouldn't sell the rights off. BBC Worldwide (or more specifically, Jane Tranter) would be in charge, and they'd get a major studio to handle distribution. She's the one who brought in David Yates.

And Moffat, an employee of the BBC Drama Department, would have no say in it, no matter how many little twitter tantrums he throws....

...unless he had a clause put in his contract allowing him final say on a movie, which is rumoured.

BBC Execs won't say anything other than through official BBC press releases.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eternal

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:28 am

Any Doctor Who movie that attempted to reboot the story would be an absolute flop, guarranteed. The Doctor Who fanbase is a very specific subset of people. There are people who care, and people who don't. The people who care regard the story of the Doctor to be the one told in the TV series, starting from 1963. The people who don't care never will, and can stick to their Touch of Frost DVDs.
The logical thing to do with a Doctor Who movie is to capitalise on the success of the TV show, just like the Star Trek franchise did with all its movies. You can't re-work Doctor who to appeal to a new audience, without losing the audience it already has.

As many have suggested, the topic of the Time War is begging for the movie treatment. Build a Matt Smith Story around this. If any prior Doctors want to do a cameo, then LET THEM. Give McGann another shot to play his Doctor on screen. Offer Eccleston a small island to make an appearance. It will be worth it. The "new series" can't last forever, and the time is ripe for a movie targeted at the current Who fanbase.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:19 am

It's also possible Moffat is actually speaking for BBC Worldwide there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:24 am

I do wonder if the newer fans of Doctor Who would be more open to a reboot than the classic fans. The only type of "reboot" I would enjoy would be seeing the Doctor on Gallifrey as he steals----borrows his TARDIS and what made him want to leave. And perhaps a first adventure with Susan.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Yrcanos

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2011-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:31 pm

amagon wrote:
Calixar wrote:
I like the idea of it giving McGann another filmed story.

This SHOULD BE McGann in his new outfit, fighting in the last battle of The TIME WAR! Releasing his specific TARDIS, various characters, and a regenerated 9th Dr!

I would also want a 3 3/4" scale line for this movie (plus current scale), so I can have my Dr with a proper size TARDIS.

bounce
I don't like the idea of a time war movie. There is way too many continuity errors between the new series and all other previous media, including the classic series. Too much to get in there for a film. I say it should either be a stand alone movie, or one that compliments the current series with the current Doctor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guvnagrover

Number of posts : 1032
Registration date : 2012-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:17 am

Just read this on The Doctor Who News Page:

Matt Smith has ruled himself out of appearing in a big-screen version of the show. Speaking to Collider at last week's Comic-Con the actor explained:
For my money, whoever is playing the Doctor should be in the movie. I don't think there should be two Doctors. I think it would take four or five years to get something like that off the ground, and I don't anticipate that I'll be playing the Doctor then. My skin and the aging process couldnt take it. But, I don't see any reason why it couldn't work. I think they should get Steven to write it because hes the best.

Meanwhile, Steven Moffat re-iterated that any film version of Doctor Who will not be a separate entity to the current television series. Speaking to Airlock Alpha at the same event, the show's lead writer commented:
There will not come a time when there's a separate kind of Doctor Who. What was talked about there was that there would be a separate Doctor and a different continuity. Of course it won't. That would be silly. Everyone knows that's silly. The BBC knows that's silly, and is not going to do that.

The likelihood of an alternative film version of the show was promoted by director David Yates back in November when he told Variety that BBC Worldwide Productions were undertaking the project and writers were being considered for a version that "would start from scratch".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:51 am

Per the Doctor Who TV site:

MOFFAT DENIES DOCTOR WHO MOVIE. AGAIN!

Its a story that refuses to go away. The recent Doctor Who movie rumours have become a tiresome back and forth between Harry Potter director David Yates and Steven Moffat. Yates says hes directing a movie reboot, Moffat denies it, Yates says hes doing it, Moffat denies it and so on.

Now heres the latest statement from Moffat on the matter. He told EW: There isnt a film. That was all some weird fantasy going on somewhere. Look, we hopefully will do a Doctor Who film someday. It will be absolutely run by the Doctor Who production office in Cardiff. It will feature the same Doctor as on television. It will not be a rebooted continuity. All of that would be insane.

He adds: So that whole proposal was not true, did not happen. I can say that with authority because, as far as the BBC is concerned, Im the voice of Doctor Who. So if I say it, its true. The BBC own Doctor Who and, for the moment, I run it for them. So I can assure you definitively that was all nonsense not the idea of making a film, wed love to make a film, but the idea of a rebooted continuity, a different Doctor. Thats writing the book on how to destroy a franchise. You dont behave like that with it. Not ever.

Asked if David Yates is involved, Moffat replied: I dont think he was ever signed to it. I never signed him, so hes not. But I think hes [expressed] an interest in doing it and hes a very fine director and I think hed certainly be someone that would be on the list for directing such a project. Im a big fan of his. But the project as he describes it would not happen. It was all a bit more off the cuff than it seemed to be.

Which is funny when Yates makes statements like: Im definitely doing a Doctor Who movie. Clearly theres a lack of communication going on somewhere.

Will this finally put the whole thing to bed? Unlikely. Yates will probably be telling the world how hes making it for sure next week, and the cycle continues.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:53 am

I don't believe a word Moffat says in regards to anything. It's lie after lie after lie with him so...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
guvnagrover

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:22 pm

Scary wrote:
I don't believe a word Moffat says in regards to anything. It's lie after lie after lie with him so...

Aww Scary...tell us how you really feel about the Moff lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:51 am

The ? Doctor wrote:
Scary wrote:

Aww Scary...tell us how you really feel about the Moff lol!

I can't, this is a family forum... Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:42 pm

I don't really believe Moff can say he is the spokesman for Doctor Who everywhere. He runs the TV show. If the BBC wants to make a movie with Yates, they don't have to ask him, just like Big Finish does not need his permission to do an audio.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:31 pm

Unless his contract with the BBC says they can't make a Doctor Who movie during his tenure without his involvment. Otherwise you'd think the BBC would be hyping up a forthcoming movie more, including telling Moffat to stop publicly dismissing it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
mattmanw54301

Number of posts : 1219
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:45 pm

It just doesn't make any sense to me. Matt Smith is incredibly popular at the moment. Why would they bring in a new Doctor and confuse people? Wouldn't they want to capitalize on the current actor that people associate with the role?
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online

Doctor Who MOVIE coming?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: