Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Doctor Who MOVIE coming?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:56 am

Steven Moffat's reply to this might be one of the greatest things ever:

Quote :
@steven_moffat: Announcing my personal moonshot, starting from scratch. No money, no plan, no help from NASA. But I know where the moon is - I've seen it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:42 pm

It's finally time to make "Scratchman" happen. The technology is there! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:11 pm

From SFK UK - Matt Smith Talks Doctor Who Movie
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:45 pm

rdks wrote:

I'd LOVE Matt to be in it. cheers Very Happy Would this be in theaters or TV/DVD jobber? Laughing
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:07 pm

I don't see the need to start with a "clean slate" or whatever. Just have the current Doctor and TARDIS and a one-off companion in a story big enough to justify it being a movie. For WHO mythos, it could be revealed similar to how they did "Rose" back in 2005.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:04 pm

MattyLover11 wrote:
rdks wrote:

I'd LOVE Matt to be in it. cheers Very Happy Would this be in theaters or TV/DVD jobber? Laughing

This is theatrical. And since they say they want to start with a clean slate, I doubt it would anyone from the series in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:06 pm

Ronpur wrote:
MattyLover11 wrote:
rdks wrote:

This is theatrical. And since they say they want to start with a clean slate, I doubt it would anyone from the series in it.

Thanks and sigh. Sad So what there gonna wait til Matt regenerates then? HOW LAME IS THAT?!!! Mad
Back to top Go down
CGren123

Number of posts : 2363
Registration date : 2009-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:28 pm

MattyLover11 wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
MattyLover11 wrote:
rdks wrote:

Thanks and sigh. Sad So what there gonna wait til Matt regenerates then? HOW LAME IS THAT?!!! Mad

No, they're going to completely reboot the franchise, start from scratch.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:32 pm

CGren123 wrote:
MattyLover11 wrote:
Ronpur wrote:
MattyLover11 wrote:
rdks wrote:

No, they're going to completely reboot the franchise, start from scratch.

sigh. Sad I'm not so sure if this a good idea now. No
Back to top Go down
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5965
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:36 pm

I'm not sure if it ever was.

We'll see...

The last time the Beeb went to Hollywood for a Doctor Who to appeal to the masses we got the TV Movie...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:42 pm

Well, if it flops,we still have the series, and it is as popular as ever. Plus, hours of episodes from the last 48 years to watch.

And the audios...

And books....

And comics....

And toys...
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:50 pm

Ronpur wrote:
Well, if it flops,we still have the series, and it is as popular as ever. Plus, hours of episodes from the last 48 years to watch.

And the audios...

And books....

And comics....

And toys...

so true. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:44 pm

SeaDevil wrote:

The last time the Beeb went to Hollywood for a Doctor Who to appeal to the masses we got the TV Movie...

In all fairness, Eric Roberts has become a better actor then he once was.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1815
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:28 pm

Topless Robot ran a contest to predict the Worst Scene from the Recently Threatened Doctor Who Movie. I got an honourable mention:

Bumbling highschooler Theo Hoover (Jackson Rathbone) wants to woo popular skank Sarah Jane (Rosie Huntington-Whiteley) away from star quarterback Tony "The Master" Masterson (Channing Tatum). He decides to impress her by sneaking into a top secret UNIT (Unified Nanite Integration Technologies) research facility, which he does easily thanks to a Phillips-head screwdriver & a photoshopped ID badge that says "Doctor, The." He witnesses the unveiling of ex-KGB scientist Professor Dave Ross(Forest Whitaker)'s TARDIS (Tachyonic Arrival Relay Device Incorporating Synchronicity), a time travel app for iPhone. General Al Stuart (Harrison Ford), UNIT's millitary liason, reveals that he's working for the flatuent baby-faced Slitheen aliens & steals the TARDIS iPhone so he can prevent the 13 Colonies from winning the Revolutionary War. Theo Hoover gets bumped on the head during The General's betrayl & when he awakes he thinks his name is The Doctor Who. He has no choice but to use the untested TARDIS prototype that's been uploaded into the robot rottweiler K-9 (voiced by Adam Sandler) to save George Washington's life!

I should probably stop using my powers for evil.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:31 pm

Wow... that's like a Disney Channel movie... I'd love to see someone produce it just as a joke...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:33 pm

It's funny how many articles are talking about this now, but no one I've read so far mentions the horrible, failed, Red Dwarf U.S.A. pilot.

What started off as good intentions devolved into drivel, and as far away from the british show as you can get. Bad casting, bad jokes, and they just didn't "get it". I love the british Red Dwarf, but am so glad it never got picked up here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:29 pm

I think, still, that it would be funny if, in true Dwarf fashion, they did a reality skipping episode where they encounter that other crew... and end with a comment about them being a bunch of w@nkers.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:13 pm

i think this movie if it even happens could be either the most epic awesome thing ever or a horriblly dissapointing failure. either way i will give it a chance. i'm fine with them using the character and the show as model to draw from but breaking from all the rules of cannon to free up the story telling. i just think that it would be nice if they did it with a trilogy in mind or something openended at the end of the first one to make room for a bigger story. if i had my personal way as i said before i'd do a well thought out trilogy with paul mccgan that culminates to the time war and get eccleston to come back just for a regeneration scene. that way you could have three movies that would fit into the story cannon. but that might be confusing for new commers. i often think it would be cool if they wanted to take a break from the new doctors if the series took a step back and gave paul a 2 or 3 season run before they continue past matt, and then in that time they could do the time war justice. heck they might not even need chris to come back for the regeneration scene with special effects, just his permission. lol. all good ideas and opinions guys keep em comming!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1815
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:54 pm

Isn't Melancholia just a remake of The Tenth Planet?
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:55 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Isn't Melancholia just a remake of The Tenth Planet?

Shocked
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:18 am

Moffat on Twitter— "To clarify: any Doctor Who movie would be made by the BBC team, star the current TV Doctor and certainly NOT be a Hollywood reboot."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:52 am

jaredofmo wrote:
Moffat on Twitter— "To clarify: any Doctor Who movie would be made by the BBC team, star the current TV Doctor and certainly NOT be a Hollywood reboot."

A statement that contradicts what was said before by David Yates.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:19 am

Ronpur wrote:
jaredofmo wrote:

A statement that contradicts what was said before by David Yates.

Exactly...now I'm confused... confused
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:40 pm

Found this article at the Dark Horizons site:

The other week "Harry Potter" film director David Yates sent the online blogosphere into a tailspin with comments to the trade paper Variety that a movie is in development based on the classic and still highly popular British sci-fi TV series "Doctor Who".

What was surprising was word that he and BBC Worldwide Productions head Jane Tranter are apparently developing the project entirely independent of the TV show, and in fact said film will essentially be a reboot with a whole new star that completely ditches almost fifty years of backstory. The pair were looking at writers now and apparently are "going to spend two to three years to get it right."

Now the story has taken on a whole new wrinkle. Steven Moffat, the head writer and show runner of the current Matt Smith-led incarnation of the hit series, spoke about the news on Twitter and essentially dismissed Yates' comments as a load of twaddle.

"To clarify: any Doctor Who movie would be made by the BBC team, star the current TV Doctor and certainly NOT be a Hollywood reboot… David Yates, great director, was speaking off the cuff, on a red carpet. You've seen the rubbish I talk when I'm cornered."

Moffat has also released an official statement (via The Radio Times) in which he said that "[Doctor Who] is a vitally important BBC brand with a huge international audience [that] not even Hollywood can start from scratch”.

Most concrete of all, he says "there simply are no developed plans for a Doctor Who movie at the moment, [cut] if and when the movie happens it will need to star television's Doctor Who - and there's only ever one of those at a time… Whatever happens, the BBC and BBC Worldwide will work together to ensure that we don't just get a movie, we get the movie that everyone wants."

The question now becomes what's truly going on behind-the-scenes here. Private Eye (via Bleeding Cool) hints that some senior people at the BBC "openly describe Moffat as 'a problem' this may have been the idea", making this talk all seem rather tactless on the Beeb's part.

With Moffat doing double duties on both 'Who' and "Sherlock" and the BBC making cutbacks all over, the inevitable result has been a haphazard scheduling of 'Who' with the next season reportedly not going to air until next Fall. Despite Moffat's assurances, there's the distinct feeling the BBC is forging ahead (without his input) on plans for where to take the franchise once he departs the show.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doctor Who MOVIE coming?   Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:49 pm

jaredofmo wrote:

* In the Eleventh Doctor's voice.* "That's better!" Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Doctor Who MOVIE coming?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: