Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

S6E11: The God Complex

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rate S6E10: The God Complex
Amazing!
37%
 37% [ 13 ]
Above average
37%
 37% [ 13 ]
Okay
14%
 14% [ 5 ]
Below average
9%
 9% [ 3 ]
Atrocious!
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 35

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:01 am

rmlextreme wrote:
And he would also know inside Stock information.

Look out Wall Street the Doctor is coming! lol

Seriously that was a nice sports car. He is like Santa with a Blue Box

I need him. Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:31 am

Rocco wrote:
Anyone catch his Room # being 11? Get it? You better get it or you need to be slapped.

I was actually expecting it to be #52... What with Area 52 and Lake Silencio. But #11 did make me smile. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:42 am

Some folks have noticed the Doctor eating an apple when he didn't like them in The 11th Hour means that this was a flesh clone.
If Gibbs' species's ultra-pacifism is a passive parasitism of invader species, they could be used to negate the active parasitism of the Silence.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:45 am

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
Some folks have noticed the Doctor eating an apple when he didn't like them in The 11th Hour means that this was a flesh clone.

I doubt that. The Doctor was in a state of post-regeneration at that point and so his mind and his taste buds etc were all over the place, a bit like with a pregnant woman.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The 2nd Doctor Roberts

Number of posts : 1163
Registration date : 2009-07-21

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:27 am

It would have been wild if the Doctor's room number had been 12...considering what we heard and all.

Lots of great bits to this episode...Amy getting fired on the spot...the Doctor's bizarre smile at being confronted with a hotel room full of young girls...Rory's comment on not all victories involving saving the universe...the way the production team managed to get virtually every alien design from the new series onto one of those lobby photos...I kept rewinding the DVR every thirty seconds to watch scenes over again. And they even remembered to mention the baby in this one! (Well, sort of. It would have been good if the Doctor had brought up the fact that he knew from the start that he could never get that baby back to her...that would have been a pretty effective way to get Amy to "lose faith" in him.)

The goodbyes were unexpected, but made sense given what happened with Amy's "character arc" this episode. Yet I get the feeling this was done primarily to allow James Corden more face time in next week's episode. We know we'll see Amy and Rory at least one more time anyway.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:50 am

An absolutely marvelous episode. I enjoyed the backstory on the Minotaur especially, and just the whole episode was fantastic.

I especially loved the Doctor finally admitting why he took Amy with him and shattering her faith in him to do it. Calling her "Amy Williams" was fairly impactful in that sense, though I wish they'd waited to do this until it was time for Amy and Rory to leave the TARDIS for good. It was a wonderful, classic send off for the companions and my only gripe is that it's not going to stick with both of them coming back for Season Seven.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:56 am

They're not even gone for series 6 yet. They'll be in the finale for sure (even if it's their past selves from 'Impossible Astro' that we see, because the Doctor goes back in time to be killed so he must see the Ponds again) and it's rumoured they're in 'Closing Time' too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:04 am

kcooper76 wrote:
I really liked this episode, especially the ending. I felt the ending really...fitted..in. And I'm curious to see where things are going to go from here!
the ending is the only reason i voted above average. the rest of the episode was so/so but ending was handled so touchingly that it saved the whole episode for me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Doctor Detroit

Number of posts : 322
Registration date : 2010-05-18

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:30 am

The only down side was bringing in a potential new companion, then killing her off, Rita would have been an excellent addition to the Tardis crew, at least you could understand what she was saying, unlike some people who have now left.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:40 am

Doctor Detroit wrote:
The only down side was bringing in a potential new companion, then killing her off, Rita would have been an excellent addition to the Tardis crew, at least you could understand what she was saying, unlike some people who have now left.

I totally agree with you on this point. She seemed to instantly connect with the Doctor and I started thinking at one point that she would be his new companion in the next series.

I was sad to see Amy and the Doctor say goodbye to each other and I wasn't expecting that at all. I'm wondering if they're going to appear in the finale. Although if they don't then that could leave River and the Doctor to go on their so many adventures alone with each other until the show returns for a new season.

I really enjoyed the Nimon reference like a few other people on here did too. I couldn't help feeling a sense of deja vu with the Doctor destroying Amy's faith in him. It reminded me too much of The Curse of Fenric when the Doctor did that with Ace as well.

Did I mention I really liked this episode? geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:57 am

Doctor Detroit wrote:
The only down side was bringing in a potential new companion, then killing her off, Rita would have been an excellent addition to the Tardis crew.

Agreed!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:28 am

I forgot to mention that it was great to "see" David Walliams in this episode too. He already has a connection that's now stronger to Doctor Who seeing that Tom Baker narrated episodes for his Little Britain show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmlextreme

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:42 pm

I Think it was a great episode and the creature in the halls was right out of H R Puff n stuff amazing costume.

They have noticeably cut the special effects budget. Hopefully the Cybermats next week do not look like silver Furbys ( a toy from the late 1990s)

Mattylover no doubt will get the plush Cybermat for Xmas lol. You know they will make it lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:03 pm

rmlextreme wrote:
I Think it was a great episode and the creature in the halls was right out of H R Puff n stuff amazing costume.

They have noticeably cut the special effects budget. Hopefully the Cybermats next week do not look like silver Furbys ( a toy from the late 1990s)

Mattylover no doubt will get the plush Cybermat for Xmas lol. You know they will make it lol

I could always make my own. Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:17 pm

Scary wrote:
Doctor Detroit wrote:
The only down side was bringing in a potential new companion, then killing her off, Rita would have been an excellent addition to the Tardis crew.

Agreed!

Although I would have liked it as well, it would have ruined the ending for me. It's like "I'm dropping you off at home because I don't want to put you into danger any longer....oh, but I brought someone else along with me and now I'll put them in danger instead.
Back to top Go down
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:47 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
Scary wrote:
Doctor Detroit wrote:

Agreed!

Although I would have liked it as well, it would have ruined the ending for me. It's like "I'm dropping you off at home because I don't want to put you into danger any longer....oh, but I brought someone else along with me and now I'll put them in danger instead.

Yeah, but they could've arranged it where she somehow returned home and then the Doctor bumps into her again during one of his adventures on earth.

rmlextreme wrote:

I've noticed the lack of special effects as well. Fortunately for me I grew up with classic DW so it's not that much of a shock to the system for me. I've always been of the mind that if the story is written well then the lack of special effects can be overlooked.

BTW I would love it if they came out with a cybermat replica of some sort. I don't how I would buy one with college tuition now riding on my back, but I'm sure I would find a way. geek
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmlextreme

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:59 pm

im older then you i remember the Ultraman Suits with Zippers on UHF TV

Zygons had Zippers you could see

The Tardis wall circles were magic marker

The endless reused gravel quarries from Tom Baker Years lol

im hoping they are saving some pounds for the Finale.

or

River Song will be wearing Scrubs from her ER days.
The Doctors new companion will be the tour guide from BBC studios lol

Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2155
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:23 pm

I don't mind not having a mess of CGI special effects. It looks like they spent all their money on nice sets and costumes this time around. No need to go all computer fancy when you can just get a creepy room full of ventriloquist dummies. Kind of glad they're spending their money wisely. The gorilla was meant to be a story book bit of fiction so I'm satisfied that they just used an old monkey costume. That's not scary for adults, but amazing how much it can scare wee toddlers and scar them for life. And the director wisely cut the shot to only show the gorilla for a brief second and didn't dwell on it (like a certain Myrka).

I always wondered why in Planet of Evil they used such shoddy plywood for crew tabletops with nails sticking out when they're in the 40th Century or wotnot. Watch Dr. Jeckyl mix his dry ice potion and I don't think the set designer expected such a close-up of his carpentry work. The hotel in God Complex looked good. Not sure if it was all location, but certainly a well dressed period piece that I'd expect to see on Masterpiece Theater.

They spent some cash on the Minotaur and then a little CGI when the hotel disolved. The final control room didn't have much use so it was very minimal, but certainly better than the old "let's just hang curtains all around" that Classic Trek/Who/Blakes 7 used to do. I haven't been let down by the lack of CGI effects this season. If you have good stories with interesting characters then you don't need all that much CGI.

The story itself was fine. The dumping of Rory and Amy was nicely done and would actually make a memorable send-off, although I'm sure those two will be back for the finale. But the last few weeks have put the companions in danger and perhaps that was part of what the Doctor saw behind his door. The Doctor knows he's really screwed with their lives and maybe it's time to give them a brake before they get killed. Not entirely sure what happened to the Pond's first house where Rory lays around watching Laurel and Hardy that we saw in the Impossible Astronaut. Poor Rory will need a second job to pay property taxes on all these homes he's got now. He'll also have to pay for towing for that other car that got left at Mel's crime scene during Let's Kill Hitler. But minor logic quibbles that TV always overlooks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
squishy

Number of posts : 2155
Registration date : 2008-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:33 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
Scary wrote:
Doctor Detroit wrote:

Agreed!

Doctor Who has a long history of "girl of the story" guest stars which could make good companions. Usually they're in love with someone or stay to help put things right when the Doctor leaves. But this time the writer wanted to kill off a few characters and really have some meaning for the final death. If the Doctor is feeling guilty about offering Amy and Rory "a suitcase full of candy" to lure them into danger then how better to sober him up by killing off a "companion-worthy" spunky woman? The woman was meant to be a great possible companion and that's why she had to die.

Tough on fans who liked her, but certainly not the first time this has been done in Doctor Who, or even this season. Moffat pulled the same trick in A Good Man Goes to War with the Lorna Bucket soldier girl helping Amy escape and ending up worshipping the Doctor as she dies in his arms to just show us how far the Doctor's fallen.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:38 pm

squishy wrote:
I don't mind not having a mess of CGI special effects. It looks like they spent all their money on nice sets and costumes this time around. No need to go all computer fancy when you can just get a creepy room full of ventriloquist dummies.

100% agreed. I was actually rather surprised when The Nimon (I know that's not what it was, but it was related to it and its as good a name as any) was an actual practical effect and not CG. I absolutely adored that - especially since it was an extremely well realized costume that wouldn't have looked out of place in a major motion picture.

And really, Doctor Who has always shone in the practical effect department. Yeah, there have been hiccups along the way (The Cybermen of The Invasion and their laced boots, for example), but I've always been impressed by the quality of the costuming. Heck, just look at Battlefield. The Special Effects were absolutely atrocious green screen monstrosities, but the Destroyer? Gorgeous costume work and makeup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmlextreme

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:48 pm

All valid points Doctor who has done a lot over the years to make up for the effects. Better
Scripts/stories.

Star Trek TNG went off the Air before its time due to going overboard with the effects. So
I can live with this.

Just one thing no more of those little mannequin smiley guys freaky, be honest who was waiting for the heads to spin around in circles lol.

Looking forward to seeing Craig Again, and it looks like there is a Craig Jr.

Way to Go 6,000,400,026 people in the world. That's the number to beat and they did!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1829
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:00 pm

I suppose that Rory & Amy were away for so long that they lapsed on their Leadworth rent and the Doctor had to get them a new house to apologise. The Doctor could float them some extra money since he made the Titanic tour guide a millionaire.
The awesome Nimon suit was made by the folks that did the effects for Hellboy 2.
While Rita would've been a fine companion, I think we've had enough from the medical field between Martha and Rory for the time being, unless the Doctor mandates that all future companions be nurses to fit with his name.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:32 pm

rmlextreme wrote:

Star Trek TNG went off the Air before its time due to going overboard with the effects. So
I can live with this.

I can't recall who said it on this forum, but I've still always gotten a chuckle out of the comparison to TNG and Doctor Who and how the Borg were originally supposed to be an Insect Race, but changed to robots due to budget concerns. And someone remarked had it been Doctor Who, we would have had Insects with wings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:07 pm

I really hated this episode- but have liked most of series 6 (except curse of the black spot).

Mainly the reason being is to the crazy add frenetic direction...it was like guy ritchie on uppers...just too many quick cuts...flashes...um story?

Loved the Nimon reference..and the nice wrap up of rory and amy-but besides this I felt this episode was a downer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:31 pm

greenk9 wrote:
...and the nice wrap up of rory and amy-but besides this I felt this episode was a downer.

It was also nice that Amy acknowledged her daughter again as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S6E11: The God Complex   Today at 10:16 pm

Back to top Go down

S6E11: The God Complex
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: