Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

S6E9: Night Terrors

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rate S6E9: Night Terrors
Amazing!
12%
 12% [ 4 ]
Above Average
21%
 21% [ 7 ]
Okay
50%
 50% [ 17 ]
Bellow Average
12%
 12% [ 4 ]
Atrocious!
5%
 5% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 34

AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:32 pm

rdks wrote:
While I enjoyed the episode, I had to laugh at this review -

"An episode based on the importance of family featuring 2 companions that don't give a crap that their newborn baby is missing as they run around laughing and joking."

Ahh yes, but if it was supposd to be shown earlier in the season before we knew Amy was pregnant then their lack of concern makes complete sense.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:34 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
rdks wrote:
While I enjoyed the episode, I had to laugh at this review -

"An episode based on the importance of family featuring 2 companions that don't give a crap that their newborn baby is missing as they run around laughing and joking."

Ahh yes, but if it was supposd to be shown earlier in the season before we knew Amy was pregnant then their lack of concern makes complete sense.

yeah, it was filmed as part of the first half of the series, I believe. Then moved to the second half and replaced with "Curse of the Black Spot". The only thing they must've added in was the very final shot of just the tardis monitor.
Back to top Go down
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:13 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
I knew that, and you knew that, but I'll guess at least 90% of the viewers don't know that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:05 pm

I'll watch it a second time before I vote later. Just watched it and not sure how to vote quite yet. Smile
Back to top Go down
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:35 pm

I enjoyed this episode; funny, very creepy, although the ending was really cheesy, however, it did take a little while to get going, but after that it was great. A really good standalone story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:32 pm

rdks wrote:
Whoosier Whovian wrote:
I knew that, and you knew that, but I'll guess at least 90% of the viewers don't know that.

From this point forward we should swap the viewing order of the episodes and see how it 'feels'.
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:12 pm

Ummm... Okay...

... To be honest, aside from "Victory of the Daleks" and "The Unquiet Dead," I don't enjoy Gatiss' episodes very much. Stay on "Sherlock," Mark.

Biggest highlight was Rory's "Maybe we should let the monsters gobble him up!"

EDIT: My lil' bro Arthur just asked me if the Peg Dolls or the Abzorbaloff was scarier.

The Abzorbaloff won for once.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:15 pm

jaredofmo wrote:
Ummm... Okay...

... To be honest, aside from "Victory of the Daleks" and "The Unquiet Dead," I don't enjoy Gatiss' episodes very much. Stay on "Sherlock," Mark.

I loved that line. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5896
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:22 pm

Only thing I liked about this one was Matt. He is much better as a focused even tempered Doc than manic.

This one just felt like they tried to force a horror atmosphere on the viewer. The kid's repetitive phrases and labored breathing got annoying very fast after the first time. These Peg Dolls just looked like something you'd see walking down the street in Mardi Gras. Trying to go for the creep factor in having them do the giggly kid voices didn't work. It works if you match it up with something evil/ sinster, or something completely cute/ innocent. The Peg faces were just kinda... blah. Like the action figure.

This was more a kiddie level horror ep than a serious one. Well, as serious as Nu Who can get... say Imp Planet/ Satans Pit, Midnight, etc. Was hoping for serious.
Rather a shame... haven't liked any Gatiss stories since Unquiet Dead.

Also, the two points where there should have been a build to the climax (entering the closet and the admission of love thing)... didn't have that tension and vibe of impending doom if something doesn't happen. Some of the visuals were there, but I was thinking- these scenes are getting no help at all from the incidental score to create that sense of panic and urgency. The problems get solved, but hardly any sense of relief or accomplishment when they hit.

I'd give Matt an A but the story/execution a C.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:28 pm

I haven't liked any Gatiss stories (except maybe one or two of the PROBE episodes),and this ep did nothing to change that. I rated it as okay, but only because I'm generally pretty meh towards new series eps. On a consistently better show this would easily be below average.

I kept expecting the peg dolls to turn Rory into one, and then we'd finally get an action figure of him, but as a doll! I wonder how fans would have responded to that. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
rmlextreme

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:31 pm

This was a (Take your dog out for her walk in the middle of the episode ) episode.

I think one the funniest moments was he was playing with the rubiks cube and couldnt solve it and tossed on the floor. ( he made some comment like its defective or something)

He Then mentions he stories from his youth. The Emperor Daleks new Grove etc lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:32 pm

jaredofmo wrote:

That was amazing, I nearly fell off the chair. Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:38 pm

rmlextreme wrote:
This was a (Take your dog out for her walk in the middle of the episode ) episode.

I think one the funniest moments was he was playing with the rubiks cube and couldnt solve it and tossed on the floor. ( he made some comment like its defective or something)

He Then mentions he stories from his youth. The Emperor Daleks new Grove etc lol

Those stories were a funny bit, and as someone already pointed out... great way to drop 7 Keys to Doomsday into it Very Happy

Last edited by Cruel Angel on Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:39 pm

It was an okay episode. Even if it had been earlier in the season, it would feel rather boring. There's just not much going on in this episode and it bores fast. There's nothing offensive to it, but there's nothing that makes it stick out in a person's mind.

I mean, even Fear Her had that Monster Doodle menace threat going for it. This...eh. The giggly child voices didn't help the Night Terrors. While sometimes child giggles can be used for extremely creepy effect (See PS2 game Fatal Frame), it was quickly overused and just made them old very quickly.

A pity next week's episode also looks to be slightly boring. Then again, I haven't cared for Amy-centric episodes since Amy's Choice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmlextreme

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:08 pm

Amy Rory Rory Amy omg i miss Mickey the Idiot,

Time for a new companion Put hair and a dress on a Dalek or something...

Let him travel with Snooki from mtv. I think after 30 mins he would kick her into space

--------

Actually here is an idea they can steal from Buffy

Doctor who the Musical...the entire episode they sing all the lines

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:44 pm

I just voted OK. And that is all I want to say about it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:08 am

rmlextreme wrote:
Actually here is an idea they can steal from Buffy

Doctor who the Musical...the entire episode they sing all the lines

GOD

NO!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:28 am

It was so refreshing to get away from the soap opera'ish who and watch a episode with the Dr. companions, monsters and no “who is river” “who kills the doctor” “who is the little girl” blah blah blah

I found this to be the most enjoyable episode of this years series (along with Black Spot) the ending was a bit lame, but with only an hour slot the feel of newwho is always too fast paced and rushed for my liking.

Matt shines in Night Terrors and Amy and Rory were not as annoying as normal, the scenes when they are in the dolls house were very creepy and atmospheric. I was watching in a dark bedroom with my surround sound turned up and I was a little apprehensive at times. The Dolls were not that scary but you add in the child giggles and the music... fantastic!

Maybe SM should let some other write stand alone episodes and stick to being the producer rather than feeding us over complicated and confusing crap all the time. I was telling my Dad (who has watched Who on and of since the 1st episode in 1963) that you have to watch NewWho from the very first episode of each series to understand what is going on and all of the little bits of continuity in story eight.

Overall I was thrilled with Night Terrors and hope there will be many more creepy stand along story's!

Well done Mark and well done Matt for a superb performance!
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:50 am

I wasn't bothered by Rory & Amy not worrying about their baby. It could be that they accept the fact they don't get to raise their baby based on them seeing how River behaved in the last episode. Or they could realize that since they have have a time machine they can rescue their baby at their leisure.
The atmospheric score was the strongest part of the episode. The yellow tinge made me think this was a period piece, so I was disappointed when it was modern.
The doll transformation and the kid being a cuckoo were creepy.
Rory's best line was when he freaked out about dying again.
The rest of the episode was very meh. There was a lot of time wasted talking to stock characters when they should've fleshed out the main plot. They resolution was really rushed and forced. Solving problems by telling characters they are a family and families are wonderful never rings true. It doesn't address the underlying issues of the problem or the family members involved. It insults viewer intelligence and sends a bad message to young viewers who are stuck in unhealthy families.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:36 am

I don't know why I voted top of the line. * Laughs.* I sound like a muscle car guy. Laughing Anyway yeah still have no idea why I voted the way I did. But I did enjoy it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rmlextreme

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:21 am

Im gonna try to watch this again and this time not take the dog out.

As far as Dr who the musical i think Buffy and Xena the Musical will be tough to beat lol.

Speaking of Night Terrors any one have any funky dreams cause of this episode????

Twilight zone music playing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:11 am

rmlextreme wrote:

Speaking of Night Terrors any one have any funky dreams cause of this episode????

Yeah, I couldn't sleep. Kept looking over at my closet since it's right across from the head of the bed... that asthmatic kid chanting mantras just would not shut up. Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmlextreme

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:16 am

Rory is starting to get a sarcastic attitude.
He is saying things like were in the 1700s , were dead again etc.....

If you dont like it theres the Door, remember it opens out ( Tardis gets upset when you push or pull them.

Replace Rory with a Fish! lol

***has anyone noticed pop ads all over this forum??

If your a single Dalek and 30 E-Harmony is free till monday etc....
There is a singles ad, Zoosk ad,cash point..... what the bleep!!! im seeing ads under the
Home FAQ Search banner above and i have a pop up blocker
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:32 am

rmlextreme wrote:
Rory is starting to get a sarcastic attitude.
He is saying things like were in the 1700s , were dead again etc.....

If you dont like it theres the Door, remember it opens out ( Tardis gets upset when you push or pull them.

Replace Rory with a Fish! lol

***has anyone noticed pop ads all over this forum??

If your a single Dalek and 30 E-Harmony is free till monday etc....
There is a singles ad, Zoosk ad,cash point..... what the bleep!!! im seeing ads under the
Home FAQ Search banner above and i have a pop up blocker

Yeah, it started last night apparently. Theres a thread about it over in yonder Service thread
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:22 am

I really wanted to love this episode but walked away with a feeling of meh. It might've worked better if it was kept in the original order maybe. I also found it jarring that one moment the Doctor and his companions are concerned about River and then the next they're taking adventures without a care in the world. Maybe it's avoidance on the Doctor's part? The whole focus on the kid became more annoying as the story progressed for me. I kept thinking how many times are we going to have a close up of the child hyperventilating? The production felt like it was done on the cheap for me too. Hopefully I'll really love next week's episode although the clips looked a little lame to me (how many times are we going to bring in character doubles?), but I think like many other viewers I just want this whole River thing wrapped up already.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S6E9: Night Terrors   Today at 3:51 pm

Back to top Go down

S6E9: Night Terrors
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: