Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:10 am

I mean if you didn't understand the title, has their ever been a doctor who the fans did not really like unlike the 3 we've had so far in the new series that most people love more and more?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:18 am

I heard that Colin Baker wasn't exactly universally loved. He got a second chance with Big Finish and totally nailed it, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

Number of posts : 1841
Registration date : 2010-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:22 am

jaredofmo wrote:
I heard that Colin Baker wasn't exactly universally loved. He got a second chance with Big Finish and totally nailed it, though.

I heard the same thing myself. The plan was to always mellow the 6th Doctor over time, but this never came to pass. Unfortunately, there's still a good number of people who have never listened to the BF audios and therefore still have a dislike for this particular incarnation of the Doctor.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mysterylad

Number of posts : 1653
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:23 pm

Colin Baker was widely disliked during his tenure and for many, many years thereafter. (Only recently have I decided I like what he did with the character; when I was young, I couldn't see the layers in the performance, but now I feel really bad about disliking him for so long!)

Poor Colin...his performance was actually brilliant in some very subtle ways, but the stories were weak, the costume was awful, and Peri and Mel were kinda lame companions...it was too much. His take on the character might have intrigued audiences rather than alienating them had any of those factors been removed. Imagine his Doctor's personality in a decent costume, with some classic '70s Robert Holmes stories to wade through...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cmichaelhall.com
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:21 pm

I think Colin Baker would've stayed in the role for quite some time had factors been different for him. He actually stated one time that he wanted to beat the other Baker's tenure and I don't think he was joking either.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:46 pm

I read in DWM that Sylvester McCoy was blamed for the collapse of the franchise back in '89. I thought the 7th's serials were great, personally.

Colin, I hear, wasn't so great. I don't think it was him as an actor by any means but the majority of his stories weren't so good. Just like in the current situation with Smith, I'd blame the writer not the actor.

McGann has been victimised and declared non-canon by some, just because the TVM wasn't as great as they thought it would be (even though I actually like it). His Big Finish stories are fantastic though.

Then of course Matt Smith is quite disliked by the casual fans of Britain. We fans who have watched classic episodes, stayed true to the franchise, become hardcore fans etc have become used to him though. Most people here in the UK refuse to give him a chance though just because they're too stuck in the past with Tennant. Whereas Tennant is my favourite Doctor, Smith is pretty cool it was just that the storylines of series 5 were weak. Series 6 has proven better though (besides the last 3 episodes of S6:PT1).

I don't think any Doctor is disliked or 'hated' the most, because all of us have our favourites and every Doctor has a group of loyal fans. And then of course all those groups come together to make the whole Whoniverse.

Perhaps a poll should be added to this thread asking the simple question "Which Doctor do you dislike the most?" It would be interesting to see the statistics.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5896
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:58 pm

As above... Doc 6 probably ends up on the bottom of a lot of people's Doc lists.

He got on my bad side immediately for strangling Peri, and never got back on it. Too bad by the time they decided to try and fix things, it was too late. He was way more likeable in Trial.

Not that he just couldn't be stuck up and mean. Doc 1 was, but there was enough balance there to offset it. The way Doc 6 was in his first serials he really didn't have enough redeeming features to get the viewers to accept him.

Mainly a victim of the times- the production staff and the writers. He does Big Finish, and you really see just how great he could have been.

The other Doc that many probably put there too is Doc 7. I never understood it... he was one of my favorites. But I do remember many knocking the accent, humor, and acting ability.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:46 pm

Colin Baker and McCoy are usually looked upon by many viewers as the reasons for the demise of DW. IMO I think it was the result of what was going on off screen more than anything else.

I can't believe that there are viewers that are refusing to accept Matt Smith as the Doctor (it has been almost two years since he took over). It reminds me of my mom a bit who was the one that got me hooked on DW years ago when Tom Baker was in the lead. With his departure my mom refused to watch DW for years until she found the new stuff on BBC America. BTW she's totally in love with Smith.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:20 pm

funny thing is, quite a number of people knock tennant now that he's gone. calling him whiny, emo, emotional, etc, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dude,WheresMyTARDIS?

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:52 pm

jfh1970 wrote:
Colin Baker and McCoy are usually looked upon by many viewers as the reasons for the demise of DW. IMO I think it was the result of what was going on off screen more than anything else.

I've seen one of the McCoy episodes and personally I think it was a good one... although it was a bit of a crap storyline.. much like series six then. It's dead to me atm. Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5896
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:53 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
funny thing is, quite a number of people knock tennant now that he's gone. calling him whiny, emo, emotional, etc, etc.

Heh, I said those things around season 3 Razz

Doc 9 is the only Doc from Nu Who so far that I really liked.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dude,WheresMyTARDIS?

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:00 pm

Cruel Angel wrote:

Doc 9 is the only Doc from Nu Who so far that I really liked.

Same here. David Tennant was AWESOME and amazing.. but Nine.. his storylines weren't as good but God they were funny.. oh. And Dalek. I love that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:03 pm

Back in the day, when Colin started, all of my friends turned against the show. I didn't care much for him but I still loved the show and watched it anyways, but had to watch it alone since everyone who used to come over to watch Pete and Tom didn't care for the show anymore. My little brothers hated it, and my little Doctor Who fan group was disbanded.

Fast forward to now, and it's the same thing all over again. I had tons of friends who regularly watched the show when it was Eccleston or Tennant. Now, nobody I know watches the show. I won't even mention it anymore because the conversation just turns to slagging & mocking the show, and I feel embarrassed that I watch it. I've yet to meet a single person off-line who likes it now. My kids hate it, and my little group that used to meet on Sundays to discuss the episode is now disbanded.

Deja vu!

But as much as I dislike his televised episodes, thanks to Big Finish Colin is now one of my favourite Doctors.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dude,WheresMyTARDIS?

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:19 pm

Yep, that's the same here! I can't actually start a conversation about any doctor who because it'll come to the point where someoone goes 'DOCTOR WHO IS NOW CRAP. LET US GO BACK TO THE TIMES WHEN TOM BAKER WAS THE DOCTOR.'

I do like Tom a lot, he's often the one who comes into my head when I think about the classic series.

Truth be told, I haven't watched any of the new sixth series, and admittedly haven't given it a proper chance but I didn't really like Matt Smith from the beginning. I liked him in Death of the Doctor, (that's RTD writing for you) and the first story he did, but Smith hasn't been given the right kind of story lines for him to really show how good Eleven is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rdks

Number of posts : 3520
Registration date : 2008-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Dude,WheresMyTARDIS? wrote:
I liked him in Death of the Doctor, (that's RTD writing for you) and the first story he did, but Smith hasn't been given the right kind of story lines for him to really show how good Eleven is.
That's exactly how I feel. Spooky. Like you read my mind and typed it out.

Though I'd add Smith shined in "The Doctor's Wife". Brilliant job by everyone involved in that one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dude,WheresMyTARDIS?

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:38 pm

rdks wrote:

That's exactly how I feel. Spooky. Like you read my mind and typed it out.

heck yes. Because I'm a telepathic Wink

But I reckon my love of him in Death of the Doctor was only due to the fact that it was The Sarah Jane Adventures, and that show is the best.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jfh1970

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:18 pm

Interesting how two good stories that were mentioned above including the 11th Doctor were not written by Moffatt. I think that may be the other part of the problem people are having with the current series. It's bad enough trying to get used to a new Doctor, but worse when you're feeling excluded from the storyline. Moffatt seems too busy trying to be clever as opposed to telling a really good, coherent story.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dude,WheresMyTARDIS?

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:17 pm

I agree with you there, he's trying to make Doctor Who something it *SHOULDN'T* be.

For the mystery, we've got all the US tv shows.. but DW should stay all alien-y. Like it was with Tennant and Eccleston and I'm supposing, the classic series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:33 am

Moffat said at the beginning of the series, that this series is going to test the doctor throughout the entire thing. Meaning it was going to be everywhere and so was the character. Never in a straight line always wibbly wobbly. And mysterious.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?   Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:41 pm

let's see, i've already seen the 11th doctor manipulate amy pond to bring him back into existence (series 5). let a girl die, just so he can manipulate someone to save amy pond and everyone on board a starship (the x-mas special). turn everyone homicidal against the silence.

i really don't think moffat can test me or the doctor much more. i like smith, i think he could be great, if his doctor wasn't written to be such a jerk by moffat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Is their a Doctor who is disliked by many?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: