Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

Babylon 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5983
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:56 am

I started rewatching this great show and realized that there is no topic thread for it here! How can this be? So now we do. Post why you love this show here!

Now, how to start it off... I know! I'll let Commander Sinclair set it up...

"It was the dawn of the third age of mankind – ten years after the Earth-Minbari War. The Babylon Project was a dream, given form. Its goal: to prevent another war, by creating a place where humans and aliens can work out their differences peacefully. It's a port of call – home away from home – for diplomats, hustlers, entrepreneurs, and wanderers. Humans and aliens, wrapped in two million, five hundred thousand tons of spinning metal… all alone in the night. It can be a dangerous place, but it's our last best hope for peace. This is the story of the last of the Babylon stations. The year is 2258. The name of the place is Babylon 5."

Discuss and enjoy!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:41 am

Never before had a show been planned out from the beginning with such detail and even back door alternate plans. And it WORKED! Shows like Lost and DS9 should have learned from this, you do not make it up as you go along. And the Shadows, such devious bad guys, corrupt the other races and let them do your dirty work!

And the evolution of G'Kar was so amazing, as was his evolving relationship with Milari.

And so real cool spaceships, too.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:57 am

DS9 was concurrent, so I doubt it learned from it. It also wasn't as complex.

Sadly, JMS himself personally ruined my love of the show. The man's an ass.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
SeaDevil

Number of posts : 5983
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:13 am

Ronpur wrote:
And the evolution of G'Kar was so amazing, as was his evolving relationship with Milari.

Not just G'Kar, but virtually everybody evolved over the course of the program from who they were when we first saw them. Excellent stories and character development created a rich tapestry of humans and aliens we loved to love and despise - sometimes all at the same time! Londo did some reprehensible things, but you understood him because he felt he was a patriot. You love him, even though you felt like maybe you shouldn't. Wonderful stuff.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:01 pm

Calixar wrote:
DS9 was concurrent, so I doubt it learned from it. It also wasn't as complex.

Sadly, JMS himself personally ruined my love of the show. The man's an ass.

But DS9 did start an ongoing storyline but yes, it was not as complex or planned out. But still enjoyable. Since I never met JMS, and knew what he was like, it never ruined my love of the show.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Who North America

Number of posts : 5642
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:27 pm

This is a show that would DEFINITELY benefit from remastering and updating the CGI, especially the first two seasons.

It's a great show with fabulous story-telling. Because it was at the beginning of heavy CGI, a lot of the composites with live actors fell flat and took you out of the story.

By the fourth and fifth season, the technology was beginning to catch up with the show's demands. I really wish JMS would revisit the series and do some touch-ups and bring it to its full potential.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://whona.realtvboard.com

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:32 pm

Warner Brothers is too cheap to do something like that.
Back to top Go down
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5898
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:47 pm

And sadly, that is why we will in all likelihood never see B5 on Blu Ray... all the external CGI scenes would have to be redone since they were shot in 4:3 standard def.

Sigh.

Paramount is making the attempt to see what it would take to do the same with ST TNG, which is in the same situation. Of course, there are way many more ST fans out there, so if it can be done (but at a rather high price point), Paramount knows it has a large enough fan base that would be willing to pay for it.

B5 on the other hand...
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:36 pm

And so it begins...

The Gathering

The year is 2257.

"I was there, at the dawn of the third age of mankind. It began in the Earth year 2257... with the founding of the last of the Babylon stations, located deep in neutral space. It was a port of call for refugees, smugglers, businessmen... diplomats and travelers from a hundred worlds. It could be a dangerous place, but we accepted the risk because Babylon 5 was our last, best hope for peace.

Babylon 5 was a dream given form. A dream of a galaxy without war, where species from different worlds could live side by side in mutual respect.

Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. This is its story. "

-- Ambassador Londo Mollari, Centauri Republic

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:18 pm

I love the preamble in, not sure which season, but it said "Babylon 5 was our last hope for peace.....it failed."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:29 pm

Bytes from The Gathering:

"One last thing, Commander. Why is it called Babylon 5?"

"Babylons 1, 2 and 3 were sabotaged and destroyed. Number 4 vanished without a trace 24 hours after becoming operational. To this day, no one knows what happened to it.
-----
"To date, no human has seen a Vorlon."
-----
"We have no telepaths among my people. A genetic oversight, I suppose..."
-----
"But you had the Earth Alliance on its knees. One more stroke and you would have defeated them! But you surrendered. Why?"

"We had our reasons."

"On Narn, we heard that the decision to surrender came from your holy men. A secret group called the 'Grey Council'... "

"You will swear, here and now, that you will never again mention the Grey Council in my presence!"
-----
"You make very good sharks, Mr Garibaldi. We were pretty good sharks ourselves once, but somehow along the way, we forgot how to bite. There was a time when this whole quadrant belonged to us. What are we now? Twelve worlds and a thousand monuments to past glories... living off memories and stories... selling trinkets. My god, man, we've become a tourist attraction! See the great Centauri Republic- open 9 to 5, Earth time."
-----
I'm sorry. I can do nothing else. I have my orders. On the matter of Commander Sinclair, I am here strictly to observe."
-----
"The sky was full of stars... and every star, an exploding ship. One of ours."
-----
"There is a hole in your mind."
-----
"It's just that there's a 24 hour period in my life that I can't account for. It happened during the war with your people. You wouldn't be holding anything out on me, would you, old friend?"

"Commander, I would never tell you anything... that was not in your best interest."
-----
"Why Babylon 5? If the prior four stations were lost or destroyed, why build another?"

"Plain old human stubbornness, I guess. When something we value is destroyed, we rebuild it. If it's destroyed, we rebuild it again. And again and again... and again, until it stays. That, as our poet Tennyson once said, is the goal: To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
-----

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:38 pm

Ronpur wrote:
I love the preamble in, not sure which season, but it said "Babylon 5 was our last hope for peace.....it failed."

Season 3 cheers

"In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater... our last best hope, for victory!"
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:49 pm

The year is 2258. "Signs and Portents" begins...

Midnight on the Firing Line
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Bytes from Midnight on the Firing Line:

-----
"Well, my father always told me- the best way to understand someone is to fight him. Make him angry. That's when you see the real person."
-----
"We know how, and sometimes even when, we are going to die. Comes in a dream. In my dream, I am an old man. It's 20 years from now, and I am dying. My hands wrapped around someone's throat, and his around mine. We have squeezed the life out of each other. The first time I saw G'Kar... I recognized him as the one from the dream. It will happen..."
-----
"They are alone. They are a dying people. We should let them pass."

"Who?" The Narn or the Centauri?"

"Yes."
-----
"The council can go to Hades, and the emergency session can go to Hades. And you! You can go to Hades too! I wouldn't want you to feel left out!!!"
-----
"I will confess I look forward to the day we've cleansed the universe of the Centauri and carve their bones into little flutes for Narn children. It is a dream I have."

"Be careful, Ambassador. Not every dream I've heard lately ends well for you."
-----
"Mr Garibaldi, just now, would you really have killed me?"

"Yes. Yes, I would have. But I'm just as glad I didn't have to. The paperwork's a pain in the butt."
-----

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:03 pm

And now... Soul Hunter

Gotta say it ala Don Cornelius... Soooooooooooooooooooooooul Hunter !
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Stephen's first episode... Sad

Bytes from Soul Hunter:

"It's all so brief, isn't it? Typical human lifespan is almost 100 years. It's barely a second compared to what's out there. Wouldn't be so bad if life didn't take so long to figure out. Seems you just start to get it right, and then... it's over."

"It doesn't matter. If we lived 200 years, we'd still be human. We'd still make the same mistakes."

"You're a pessimist."

"I am Russian, Doctor. We understand these things."
-----
"I sell. Provide. Fix." (I love N'Grath cheers )
-----
"I really hate it when you get heroic. It cuts into my business. A man's gotta earn a living, ya know?"
-----
"I knew you would come. We were right about you..."
-----

Ah, the first hint of Delenn having some sort of plan... what could it be... Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Born to the Purple
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:30 pm

I had the fortune of finding all the seasons on Amazon a few years back for super cheap.

It really is a joy of a show to watch. The Rise and Fall of Londo Mollari, probably one of the most three dimensional characters in fiction. There were only a handful of episodes I didn't care for, and even then I couldn't name one of them. Season 5 seemed tacked on, but they didn't know they were getting a fifth season at the time of Season 4, so it's forgivable.

My sole complaint about the show was the Talia Winters storyline and character. They devoted so much time and effort to her and it's dropped suddenly with some of the clunkiest plot devices in the show. I've always wondered what happened there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:06 pm

Rust wrote:
I had the fortune of finding all the seasons on Amazon a few years back for super cheap.

It really is a joy of a show to watch. The Rise and Fall of Londo Mollari, probably one of the most three dimensional characters in fiction. There were only a handful of episodes I didn't care for, and even then I couldn't name one of them. Season 5 seemed tacked on, but they didn't know they were getting a fifth season at the time of Season 4, so it's forgivable.

My sole complaint about the show was the Talia Winters storyline and character. They devoted so much time and effort to her and it's dropped suddenly with some of the clunkiest plot devices in the show. I've always wondered what happened there.

If I recall correctly, she had decided to leave the show prematurely since she wanted more for her character to do, and that didn't fit in with the screen time she was allotted for her character.

As for her exit...

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:22 pm

Bytes from Born to the Purple

"And what is it that are you getting, Adira? A washed up old Republican, dreaming of better days..."
-----
"What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?"
-----
After spending a day dealing with Ambassador G'Kar, I long to sink my teeth into something."
-----
"I have every confidence in you, which is why I am giving you full ambassadorial authority. Be proud, my boy. You are now the voice of the mighty Centauri Empire!...and Vir, don't give away the homeworld!"
-----
"In the meantime, Ko'Dath will represent the Narn Regime."

"Thank you, Ambassador! I shall endeavor to represent our people to the best of my ability!"

"Just don't give away the homeworld."
-----
"I never knew you could be so devious, Commander."

"Coming from you, Ambassador, that's a real compliment."
-----
"Then take this, and wear it proudly as a free woman. And someday, come back to me."

"Goodbye, my Ambassador."
-----

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:17 am

One more for the evening- Infection

Love for Illya Kuryakin cheers

And a little love for Nelson Drake... since Marshall will return as Ta'Lon cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:21 am

Bytes from Infection:

"This is supposed to be an event! This is the second anniversary of Babylon 5 going online. We took a poll when this station first opened. 75% of ISN viewers said that this place wouldn't even last 5 minutes! Lloyd's of London put the odds of this station surviving even one year at 500 to 1. Against!"
-----
The last time I gave an interview, they told me to just relax and say what I really felt. Ten minutes after the broadcast I got transferred to an outpost so far off the star maps you couldn't find it with a hunting dog and a Ouija board."
-----
"Stephen? Stephen, there is a Martian War Machine parked outside. They would like a word with you about the common cold."

"Tell them to make an appointment."
-----
"You forgot the first rule of the fanatic. When you become obsessed with the enemy, you become the enemy."
-----
"We were both in EarthForce during the war. I wasn't on the line, but I did my share. I know a lot of guys who came out of the war changed. Some came out better, some came out worse. A lot of them have this problem. The war gave them definition, direction, purpose. Without it, they don't know how to fit in anymore, so they keep looking for ways to go out in a blaze of glory. Some people call that being a hero. Maybe so. I don't know, I've never been one.

Me, I think they're looking for something worth dying for... because it's easier than finding something worth living for. "
---
"Commander, I have to ask you the same question people back home are asking about space these days. Is it worth it? Should we just pull back, forget the whole thing as a bad idea, and take care of our own problems at home?"

"No. We have to stay here. And there is a simple reason why. Ask ten different scientists about environment, population control, genetics... and you will get ten different answers. But there's one thing every scientist on the planet agrees on. Whether it happens in a hundred years, or a thousand years, or a million years... eventually our sun will grow cold and go out.

When that happens, it won't just take us. It will take Marilyn Monroe, and Lao-tzu and Einstein... and Morobuto and Buddy Holly and Aristophanes. And all of this... all of this... was for nothing, unless we go to the stars."
-----

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:28 am

The Parliament of Dreams

Lots of intros... NaThoth, Lennier, and Catherine cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:28 pm

Bytes from The Parliament of Dreams"

Are you Ambassador GKar?

This is Ambassador Gkar's quarters. This is Ambassador Gkar's table. This is Ambassador Gkar's dinner. Which part of the progression escapes you?
-----
Do you know what the last Xon said, just before he died? AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!
-----
Have I ever told you that you're very cute for a Minbari? Oh, and you are cute too, in an annoying sort of way. Everybody's cute. Everybody's cute. Even me. But in purple, I'm stunning! (clunk)

He has become one with his inner self!

He passed out.

That too.
-----
Earthers have a phrase "Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer". I believe they stole it from us.
-----
I've been expecting you. You can look up, Lennier of the Third Fane of Chudomo.

It is forbidden

I can not have an aide who won't look up. You'll be forever walking into things."
-----
You will not use my title Satai. You will address me only as Delenn. Do you understand?

No... but understanding is not required. Only obedience.
-----
And let me just say Ambassador, from the bottom of my heart- Hot pink is definitely your color.
-----
That's your flight. I suggest you board quickly. With luck, they may never find you. But if they do, you will know pain. And you will know fear. And then you will die. Have a pleasant flight."

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Cruel Angel

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Mind War

Look out... here comes Bester!

And who is this new guy Jack that is in Security? cyclops

Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Babylon 5   Today at 7:54 am

Back to top Go down

Babylon 5
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 14Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Life, the Universe and Everything :: Sci Fi Discussion-
Jump to: