Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

S6E6: The Almost People

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Rate S6E6: The Almsot People
Fantastic! Absolutely brilliant! Molto benne!
13%
 13% [ 4 ]
Good
40%
 40% [ 12 ]
Average, 50/50
37%
 37% [ 11 ]
Bad
7%
 7% [ 2 ]
Absolutely terrible, ridiculous, c'était nul!
3%
 3% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 30

AuthorMessage
DacaZ

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 6:05 pm

Overall, I was pretty happy with it. The Jen-Flesh creature was pure nightmare fuel.

This episode felt more like classic Who to me than anything in a long time. Maybe it was all the running around through corridors. I don't know.

Either way, I was pleased.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.figurefanzero.com
bret_owen99

Number of posts : 2106
Registration date : 2008-04-04

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 6:24 pm

very disapointed. not only does this end with the gangers becoming the a-typical "monster" (jen at the end), but we get all the "twists" that moff is pumping out faster than m. night shymalan.

i didn't like last series, but i thought it was ok. the way things are looking, i think i'm going to hate this series. not since the colin baker years have i yearned for a new doctor/companion/direction of the series.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 6:38 pm

Watching now. Smile Well if the sun went away I could. Sad
Back to top Go down
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 7:00 pm

bret_owen99 wrote:
not since the colin baker years have i yearned for a new doctor/companion/direction of the series.

I've learnt to like Smith, but I can say I wouldn't mind at all if he were to regenerate. I just have a good feeling about 12, too. Hoping he'll be modelled in the image of McGann's Doctor. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9511
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Well, I enjoyed this episode a lot more than last weeks. I actually loved the twist ending, and was quite surprised by it. But, that is my personal taste, I suppose. I loved the moment when "Amy" realizes she had been hanging out with Smith instead of the Doctor. And that now the company will be forced to start treating the Gangers as people, really seams like a statement on the way corporations treat their employees as being expendable and how evil that is. Time to rescue Amy!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 7:25 pm

The ending was a shocker! Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 7:41 pm

MORPETH JETSAN - The company responsible for the Gangers, is an anagram for PHANTOM JESTER - don't know if this is significant or not?
Back to top Go down
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 8:13 pm

workstinx wrote:
MORPETH JETSAN - The company responsible for the Gangers, is an anagram for PHANTOM JESTER - don't know if this is significant or not?

Sounds like a good description of the Doctor Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 8:14 pm

I zoned out during the episode because I got confused, but did Amy tell the real Doctor about his death and the invitations?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 8:27 pm

DoctorOlly wrote:
I zoned out during the episode because I got confused, but did Amy tell the real Doctor about his death and the invitations?

Either way, he didn't seem surprised, so maybe he already knew before this episode
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 8:40 pm

Ok so when was.......
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Scary

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Mattylover11 wrote:
Ok so when was.......
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

The whole series supposedly, but as CGren said in a discussion we had earlier on MSN, perhaps something happened to Amy in the 3 months between 'The Impossible Astronaut' and 'Day of the Moon',
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Scarywood wrote:
Mattylover11 wrote:
Ok so when was.......
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

The whole series supposedly, but as CGren said in a discussion we had earlier on MSN, perhaps something happened to Amy in the 3 months between 'The Impossible Astronaut' and 'Day of the Moon',

Actually, it was said in DW Confidential that it's been all season. As in, even in 'The Impossible Astronaut'.
Back to top Go down
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 10:16 pm

The 2nd Doctor Roberts wrote:
Not to hijack your thread, Scary, but I'd like to illuminate BBC America's idiocy for our British posters.

See, gang, even though BBCA made special arrangements to air new episodes the same date they air in Britain to better serve the large percentage of their viewers who watch "Doctor Who"...the idea is that they don't want to "waste" a new episode on the holiday weekend, when "no one" will be watching...so instead of new programming, this weekend BBCA will be running...A "DOCTOR WHO" MARATHON!! Thereby ensuring that the only people who might watch their blinkin' network this weekend...will be people interested in "Doctor Who"! You know, people who might be extremely interested in watching, oh, say, the very newest episode of "Doctor Who" available?!? Which, not incidentally, would be BBCA's primary Saturday night audience!

But because American TV orthodoxy says "don't run new programming over a holiday weekend," BBCA throws the ratings for the next three weekends out the window. Oh, television people are so stupid!

...er, anyway, carry on Scary. King regards to you, kid. king

i have to disagree with you on this. i think bbca made a good move here. yeah the people watching the who marathon today are most likely dr who fans but it's a smaller number of the who fans usually watch on a non holiday weekend.
this is a big holiday weekend and most people are out and about including dr who fans, and the marathon is for the few who fans who happen to be home today. but even that's not the true reason cause it really could be anything that there putting on the air today cause there not really counting on the marathon for ratings or at least not that much. there really just putting anything up there. that's why you see stations running twilight zone marathons on new years and a christmas story marathons on christmas.
and i don't see how there ruining the ratings for the next 3 weeks just cause they pushed back a episode for a week. really only diehards are going to find it online to watch it before it airs here. and waiting an extra week won't bother most fans that much. why waste a new episode on day there will be a smaller audience and on a day they can't charge more for advertising.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Wes Crayon

Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2008-08-26

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 10:21 pm

kcooper76 wrote:
Actually, it was said in DW Confidential that it's been all season. As in, even in 'The Impossible Astronaut'.
Which could make sense. If the Silence have been around all along -- and possibly have time travel technology -- they could theoretically take and replace people whenever they wanted.

I thought the episode was just good. Could have been better if they'd focused less on running around and more on the flesh/human differences or lack thereof -- I think the premise would have provided for a more involved look at human nature than the occasional glimpses in between long stretches of running around. I also thought the deaths of one human/ganger out of each pair was a bit too convenient, as it made it unnecessary for them to work out how to coexist. And since it only took a second to melt the flesh -- and since they had all kinds of time to waste talking while holding the door -- I don't see why the flesh people didn't all shuffle into the TARDIS while the real Doctor quickly melted fleshmonster Jen and then ran in after them. Well, aside from them wanting to avoid a more meaningful reconciliation between the doppelgangers. Cheap.

The Doctor swap thing was pretty clever, though, and the ending... hmmm. If they make a figure of the eyepatch lady, I will buy her and call her the Rani.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.scary-crayon.com/
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 10:31 pm

bobamatt wrote:
Yep, and while I might add that those of us who wish to remain spoiler free will have to tread lightly on the interwebs.

Starting next weekend, I will need to stop reading my usual Doctor Who websites for news and other updates (including, but not limited to WhoNA.com) for fear of stumbling across some revelation I didn't wish to know about yet.

I will be checking the toy thread though, with one eye open at least...

Thanks BBCA! You're awesome! I hope you took into consideration that a large portion of Americans have chosen to cut back traveling on holidays due to the high cost of fuels and have since elected to stay home and, most likely, watch TV.

King's Regards.

even though i agree that a nice amount people have cut back on traveling the audience will still be considerably smaller on memorial day weekend. at all times i want dr who to get the best ratings possible so it can stay on the air as long as possible and if that means an episode has to pushed back due to a holiday every once in awhile i'm ok with that. and some may say one holiday won't make much of a difference either way well... every bit helps.
i admit it's easy for me to say this due to the fact that even though i live in the states i did manage to watch tonite's episode. if the shoe was on the other foot i'd be pissed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sat May 28, 2011 11:44 pm

Wes Crayon wrote:
kcooper76 wrote:
Which could make sense. If the Silence have been around all along -- and possibly have time travel technology -- they could theoretically take and replace people whenever they wanted.

I thought the episode was just good. Could have been better if they'd focused less on running around and more on the flesh/human differences or lack thereof -- I think the premise would have provided for a more involved look at human nature than the occasional glimpses in between long stretches of running around. I also thought the deaths of one human/ganger out of each pair was a bit too convenient, as it made it unnecessary for them to work out how to coexist. And since it only took a second to melt the flesh -- and since they had all kinds of time to waste talking while holding the door -- I don't see why the flesh people didn't all shuffle into the TARDIS while the real Doctor quickly melted fleshmonster Jen and then ran in after them. Well, aside from them wanting to avoid a more meaningful reconciliation between the doppelgangers. Cheap.

The Doctor swap thing was pretty clever, though, and the ending... hmmm. If they make a figure of the eyepatch lady, I will buy her and call her the Rani.

Wouldn't mind an eye patch lady figure also. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sun May 29, 2011 12:28 am

Did the eye patch lady at the end remind anyone else of Caesar Romeo's Joker?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sun May 29, 2011 12:46 am

jaredofmo wrote:
Did the eye patch lady at the end remind anyone else of Caesar Romeo's Joker?

no but she does remind me of someone. not sure who. Laughing
Back to top Go down
CrochetOwl

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2008-01-08

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sun May 29, 2011 7:29 am

Scarywood wrote:
bret_owen99 wrote:
not since the colin baker years have i yearned for a new doctor/companion/direction of the series.

I've learnt to like Smith, but I can say I wouldn't mind at all if he were to regenerate. I just have a good feeling about 12, too. Hoping he'll be modelled in the image of McGann's Doctor. Very Happy

Same here but we've got at least two more years of Smith before thinking of the 12th coming on board and I wouldn't mind something in McGann's image either. No wonder Amy was bearable because she was a fake. I still put her at the bottom of the barrel companion-wise. Bring in someone not of this century (like Charlie in McGann's BF line).

Anyway, the episode was a bit of a mish mash. The only memorable bit was the ending and as other onliners have noted, the story could have worked as a single rather than padded into two. SM's reign continues to disappoint.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rocco

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sun May 29, 2011 3:30 pm

I watched a voted Average. It was an okay 2 parter and i see why they did it into a 2 parter so it could lead in with the ending to the mid-season finale. It wasn't difficult to follow and the only thing that really confused me was the 2 doctors.

I liked how the real doctor knows of his death
Also of why we now know why Amys uterus has been giving mixed signals to the doctor.

I still think they could've put a more entertaining 2 parter together for this.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sun May 29, 2011 8:10 pm

I voted the episode as "Good". A nice little commentary about Humanity and what it means, but I do have to echo the sentiments that Moffat's getting a little too clever for his own good. The ending was quite contrived, and seeing as how we've got three different baddies running around in the mid-season finale, I have the sinking feeling this is going to be more The Two Doctors then Frontier in Space.

I'm all for some intricate plots, but I'm getting tired of guessing at the end game here and how it all supposedly ties in to the events that occurred in The Impossible Astronaut. The fact next week will likely end on a cliffhanger also ruins the anticipation a bit.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sun May 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Rust wrote:
seeing as how we've got three different baddies running around in the mid-season finale, I have the sinking feeling this is going to be more The Two Doctors then Frontier in Space.

I'm all for some intricate plots, but I'm getting tired of guessing at the end game here and how it all supposedly ties in to the events that occurred in The Impossible Astronaut.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sun May 29, 2011 10:06 pm

Last series, I liked. It had a pretty fun story to follow. This year's ongoing story has been a great big WTF?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Sun May 29, 2011 10:14 pm

Yeah, the seasonal story arc isn't doing much. It's part of the problem with doing "The Main Character Dies" plots - if you're reasonably certain the show is going to last, they just feel hollow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: S6E6: The Almost People   Today at 1:22 pm

Back to top Go down

S6E6: The Almost People
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: