Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

310: Blink

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Rate This Episode
Fantastic!
84%
 84% [ 42 ]
Pretty Good
12%
 12% [ 6 ]
Average
2%
 2% [ 1 ]
Disappointing
2%
 2% [ 1 ]
Horrible
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 50

AuthorMessage
gregtdj

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-06-19

PostSubject: 310: Blink   Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:22 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregtdj

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Sat Sep 15, 2007 9:35 am

This had one of the scariest monsters I've seen in any television show in a while. Seems like a simple idea, but following the episode you quickly realize how difficult it would be to have to deal with an enemy like this. I hope Sally Sparrow resurfaces at some point. She seemed more companion material than Donna did in the Runaway Bride. Plus it's nice to finally answer the trivia question of who thought of the first easter egg on dvd's Laughing

According to the Doctor Who site news page the Sisters won the title of scariest monster of the season. I won't post the story because it mentions something that might be considered a spoiler to the rest of the season, but I will post a link to the story for those interested.

Weeping Angels beat the Daleks in Scariest Monster Poll.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallGrrl

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:52 pm

I made myself sit and watch this episode on SciFi last night and I almost threw my cup at the TV.
The commercial breaks just about drove me insane!
WTF, y'all!!!

Anyway, I love the part where Sally finds the TARDIS key hanging from one the the angel's fists.
There's an angel behind her in the background, and the one in front of her.
She passes by the background angel bends down and picks up the key. She straightens up, looks at the key and passes by...and that angel in the back has changed position!
When I saw that (every time I see that) it makes me say "Whoah!!!"
Sally and Billy's scene was so poignant. It really tugged at my heart. They were so cute and flirtatious. Then when, just a few minutes later, she visits him on his deathbed, and he's an old man...dang.
Yep.
My vote goes to those Weeping Angels.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:10 pm

I loved the opening where she is reading the wall and I could almost hear the Doctors voice, "Seriously, DUCK!" And it was the perfect length at only one episode, not too padded the pacing was perfect!

These would be great as a box set with the interchangeable heads that is on the grandma figure. Maybe she was a test figure for these. Wink
Back to top Go down
LakeErieMonster

Number of posts : 581
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:28 pm

Great ep. I agree with Hoosier it was really in the pacing of the story. It just moved you thru. The filming was exceptional too, the way something would move in front of the angels then they would "move". The Flickering light seen was the best for me. Your practically yelling at the TV "hurry up! get the key in NOW!". Clever trap too. Really believe that cerebral imagined fear is much better than in your face gore/horror. Honestly I suprise someone hadn't already made a horror movie out of that concept. Beats the tooth fair, chucky dolls, and ventriliquist dummies.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:48 pm

Hitchcock said this in an interview once. The way to scare an audience is to let them in on the terror. There is a bomb under the table and the audience sees the bomb with the clock ticking down. Yet the two people sitting at the table know nothing about it. The audience is colectively yelling for the two people to get up and out of there. That is suspense and terror combined.
Back to top Go down
magicman92

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Sun Sep 16, 2007 4:45 pm

Blink is awesome, but wait till you see Utopia, it'll blow your mind! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Sun Sep 16, 2007 5:49 pm

Seen it, still like Blink more. Last of the Timelords was cool. You really do have to watch them as an omnibus to get the whole thrill out of it
Back to top Go down
magicman92

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:15 am

Let's not spoil it for everyone else!
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:24 am

Not spoiling nothing, merely whetting their appetites!!

Ok who was the spoil sport that said it was disappointing? affraid

Explain what you didnt like about it. I can understand about Fear Her, but the opening to this was FANTASTIC with the wall paper!
Back to top Go down
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:01 pm

I'm so happy Blink lived up to the hype! Stephen Moffat should write every Doctor Who episode!
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
gregtdj

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:54 pm

Hoosier Whovian wrote:
I can understand about Fear Her, but the opening to this was FANTASTIC with the wall paper!

Fear Her was lost potential. The idea of drawings coming to life could have been a lot scarier than just a drawing on the wall with red lighting and close ups. This was a storyline that had the aspects of the kid from the Twilight Zone movie, only with the loneliness taking her abilities in a not so scary direction.

As for Blink, I've already said enough on the ep, but the ending with the idea that any statue could be another creature like the angels was certainly something to leave you hoping they return to this creature.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TallGrrl

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-09-14

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:08 am

Does anyone else here find the episodes to be kind of like mini-movies?
That's why I like the show uncut.
With commercials, you lose the cinematic element and feel of the the episodes.
And, yeah. Utopia. (Which aired last night.)
And The Sound of Drums.
And Last of the Time Lords.
Good stuff!!
Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:16 am

Love this episode! It scared me to bits, especially the part in the basement with the lightbulb and the bit in the spooky house when Larry turns around and sees the Angel, I actually didn't see all of this, I ended up going out of the room and peering in from by the door! Lol, the writer (Stephen Moffat) is excellent, one of the best script writers in the new series! I also liked his other episodes: The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances & The Girl in the Fireplace! It freaks me out how his mind works!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:19 am

gregtdj wrote:
This had one of the scariest monsters I've seen in any television show in a while. Seems like a simple idea, but following the episode you quickly realize how difficult it would be to have to deal with an enemy like this. I hope Sally Sparrow resurfaces at some point. She seemed more companion material than Donna did in the Runaway Bride. Plus it's nice to finally answer the trivia question of who thought of the first easter egg on dvd's Laughing

According to the Doctor Who site news page the Sisters won the title of scariest monster of the season. I won't post the story because it mentions something that might be considered a spoiler to the rest of the season, but I will post a link to the story for those interested.

The Sisters?! Could you post the article, because I'm interested
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregtdj

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:36 pm

DoctorOlly wrote:

The Sisters?! Could you post the article, because I'm interested

Yeah, sorry about that, got the sisters name mixed up, for some reason, my own personal name for them or something I guess. Sorry, so sorry. Anyway now that Utopia has aired and the return of the Master has been revealed I guess there's no harm in posting the original article. Link still works too.

Quote :
The Weeping Angels have been voted this year's Scariest Monsters in a poll of over 2,000 Doctor Who Adventures readers.

Although the Daleks will always be popular, it was the stone statues that had the Doctor Who Adventures readers (and their parents) diving behind the sofa.

A massive 55 per cent of the votes went to the angels - created by Steven Moffat for his Blink episode. The Master, played by John Simm, was runner-up with with 15 percent of the votes. The Daleks came in 3rd with 4 per cent.

"The Weeping Angels are a fantastic addition to the long list of scary monsters in Doctor Who," said Moray Laing, Editor of Doctor Who Adventures says. "Children will definitely remember being scared by them for years to come. Also, the idea that you could possibly escape a creature by not blinking is inspired... but it's not as easy as it sounds! The Daleks usually come top of every monster poll - so the Weeping Angels should be proud of their achievement! I wonder what the Daleks would say to the news?"

Dalek Caan was unavailable for comment.

Caan?? Caan?? CCCAAAANNNNN!?!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:28 pm

gregtdj wrote:
Caan?? Caan?? CCCAAAANNNNN!?!

http://www.khaaan.com/
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:04 pm

Thanks! I couldn't believe it when they said that the Daleks came in 3rd! I thought at least the Scarecrows would have come in 3rd or 2nd!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:14 pm

The Daleks shouldn't have even placed after their 1930s debacle.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:22 pm

Blink is one of the must see episodes of Doctor Who of all time. I have initiated two new Doctor Who watchers...how? I showed them Blink 1st. It is a great introduction to the show for a new viewer. As for an old fan such as myself...this episode was so atmospheric, creepy and goosebumpery delicious.

Also of note- get your hands on a copy of the DW 2006 annual... and read the Moffat short story What I Did on my Christmas Holiday by Sally Sparrow.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gregtdj

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:52 pm

greenk9 wrote:

Also of note- get your hands on a copy of the DW 2006 annual... and read the Moffat short story What I Did on my Christmas Holiday by Sally Sparrow.

Submitted for your approval...sorry wrong site, so sorry. BBC decided to post it on their site so you need look no further than this link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/episodes/2007/blink_annual.shtml
Back to top Go down
View user profile
greenk9

Number of posts : 1313
Registration date : 2007-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:42 am

gregtdj...thanks for the link...fantastic.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eaglekiller

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2008-07-31

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:25 pm

I loved it. One of my favorite of all time. When I want to show someone what Doctor Who is all about, I am going to show them this episode.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.theraggmopps.com
DoctorOlly

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:29 am

magicman92 wrote:
Blink is awesome, but wait till you see Utopia, it'll blow your mind! Very Happy

Uptopia was quite boring, the start was good and the end when the Doctor figured it out but thats it.... Blink is by far the best and the scariest episode ever! It still gives me shivers even though I know whats gonna happen! (Moffat's recent 2-parter was no match, I was more freaked out by the Clockwork Men!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cinnur

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2007-03-01

PostSubject: Re: 310: Blink   Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:03 pm

Great story, one to keep you on the edge of your seat.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: