Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

The Eternal Dalek

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: The Eternal Dalek   Mon May 16, 2011 3:27 am

So I was thinking last night, what could this rank possibly be? Any ideas?

My theory is that he is the one Dalek that can live forever and never die, and therefore if the Dalek race gets wiped out then he will still be there to revive the Daleks making the existance of the Dalek race 'eternal'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spacetimegeek

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The Eternal Dalek   Mon May 16, 2011 7:12 am

That is as good as a guess as any. The only thing I have to add is that he/it is the template to use for any new Daleks to be made as needed. The purest of all the Daleks.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: The Eternal Dalek   Mon May 16, 2011 7:17 am

I have hoped he was the Dalek who could read and understand the time vortex, almost like a Timelord Dalek.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: The Eternal Dalek   Mon May 16, 2011 9:23 am

I'm pretty sure Gatiss was joking, but he's said, "He's trying to figure out how to remove the hump."
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: The Eternal Dalek   Mon May 16, 2011 5:02 pm

I always took the Eternal Dalek's function to mean he was to operate outside the bounds of Time and Reality, ensuring the survival of the Dalek race in the event of another cataclysm. Effectively living Progenitor Devices.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: The Eternal Dalek   Mon May 16, 2011 5:59 pm

Rust wrote:
I always took the Eternal Dalek's function to mean he was to operate outside the bounds of Time and Reality, ensuring the survival of the Dalek race in the event of another cataclysm. Effectively living Progenitor Devices.

Yeah, my theory too.

Hope we get to find out sometime in series 6 or 7! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dr.dalek

Number of posts : 263
Registration date : 2010-07-06

PostSubject: Re: The Eternal Dalek   Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:16 pm

I think he is kinda like the cult of skaro but is only one dalek instead of four
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eternal

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2011-08-01

PostSubject: Re: The Eternal Dalek   Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:41 am

The most popular theory is that the Eternal is in some way meant to ensure the survival of the Pure Dalek race. However, I think that is exactly why Moffat will have a different purpose for it in mind.
One thing is almost absolutely certain, we will see the Daleks again in season 7. I think Moffat was keen to make season 6 a dalek-free season, but next season he will want to do something with this new Dalek paradigm. And it is my hope that he will have some new ideas to bring to the 40+ year old story of the Daleks in Doctor Who.

When the Daleks keep getting whupped every season by the Doctor, it erodes their aura as an arch-enemy. They are meant to be exceptionally cunning, morally devoid, and almost invulnerable. They are a time-travelling species, who took on the ancient Time Lords, in a war that most lifeforms were unable to perceive. Sure, there is always a funny side to the Daleks, their absurd voices and contrived plans, but they deserve better than to be trundled out as a generic end-of-season threat.
There's still so much about them that has never been explored - when and how did they become a time-travelling species? Will we see the 11th Doctor encounter one of the earlier incarnations of the Daleks? If he's travelling in time, and they're travelling in time, it doesn't make sense that he'd always encounter the latest model.. and will we ever see them perpetrating some brutal invasion or ruthless scheme that has nothing to do with Earth or humans?

Anyway, Eternal Dalek... I think this Dalek's role is to distract all non-Daleks as a prelude to invasion, by engaging them in a never-ending internet discussion about its nature, hence the name Eternal Dalek.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Eternal Dalek   Today at 4:32 am

Back to top Go down

The Eternal Dalek
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: