Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 

So, how did they face the music?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
The Castellan

Number of posts : 3254
Registration date : 2010-06-11

PostSubject: So, how did they face the music?   Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:33 am

After the events involving The Stolen Earth and Journey's End, with the Daleks stealing the Earth and other planets, thus revealing to EVERYONE on Earth, the confirmation of alien life, not to mention the truth of alien life being covered up.....I wonder how long the governments and military of the world, as well as groups like UNIT and the various Torchwood sectors, were sweating with nervousness, having to fess up to everyone of the world about why they did not tell anyone and kept it hidden all these years....instead of telling so right from the beginning, which they should have right from the start. And not just about alien life, but all the stuff they were hiding, as Torchwood at Canary Worf admitted to keeping from the public....as well as those Osterhagen suicide bombs placed about the Earth.

I could see both the Doctor and Captain Jack giggling with anticipation when all that started.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:15 am

Why would they confess? They would continue to lie and say they were just as shocked as everyone else. And since Torchwood was secret from even the Prime Minister, very few would even know about them at Canary Wharf. Unit, while claiming to be secret, sure didn't try to hide themselves! All their vehicles had UNIT logos since The Invasion. If I remember right, Tenth Planet should have erased all doubt about ETs, in "1986". Didn't the Cybermen land all around the Earth, and not just the South Pole Station?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:53 pm

But the smart people of the world, the ones who don't spend their lives watching reality TV and so on and know what's going on, would have enough fuel to toss onto the fire of the governments and military hiding everything.

And given that the events like the Slitheen, the X-mas Invasion, as well as the battle of Canary Worf, being covered up, would have to now make people question those cover stories that were given out, what with the Daleks having pretty much made all those said cover stories moot, not to mention no one trusting these organizations anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:56 pm

I think this would be a great novel, maybe along the lines of the Who Killed Kennedy from a while back. A real world look at the results of events in the Who universe.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5896
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm curious in Miracle Day if they are going to mention the public reaction and fallout of finding out what the governments were going to do with the kids that were rounded up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:54 pm

That golden age of man HAD to start somewhere, I think this could be, or at least partially, the catalyst to trigger that, akin to the 2012 Mayan calendar of big things happening.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:53 pm

I also want to see them explain themselves about their treatment of people for wanting to know the truth, as in answering them in the forms of rifle butts across the heads, or thrown into cells that are not even good enough for sickly animals....pretty much what the American government and military are guilty of themselves.

And I hope the Doctor will be there to make sure they get butt-****** big time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

Number of posts : 1828
Registration date : 2007-07-16

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:30 pm

I don't recall that UNIT was actually in the business of lying to people or locking them up for being curious about aliens. They were the troubleshooting organization that protected Earth from alien interlopers. They have bigger fish to fry than giving press releases on what advanced species wants to colonize it this month. There opperations are probably classified but I don't think they went out of their way to lock up nosy people. (Torchwood's a different story.)
I'm not actually sure how much modern humans are aware of aliens in the Whoniverse. The RTD era insisted that humans in general were unaware of aliens and keep hitting the reset switch each time they made contact. That's probably contrary to some earlier stories. Amy didn't remember the Daleks but I think that's because of the Crack erasing parts of history. I'd like to see the writers show modern humans who are used to the idea of there being aliens instead of it being a big deal eeach story arc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://mattthecatania.wordpress.com/
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:42 pm

UNIT in NuWho was pretty much did the same George Bush/Dick Cheney way of doing things, as in locking up people and treating them like animals, without so much as charges or trials. Look what they did to poor Tosh, thrown into pretty much a sewer pit of a dungeon without any due process, pretty much Guantanamo Bay, Tony Blair edition. That in itself needs to be looked at by the people.

I would love to see Torchwood, what's left of it, having to explain why they knew about aliens since the 1800's, and not tell anyone.....not to mention doing unto some aliens that made Torchwood no better than the Daleks, and not to mention erasing people's memories via drugs (And I'm sure those drugs, like any other, had some nasty side effects).

Plus I am getting annoyed with that 'reset switch' mentality when it comes to alien contact........that whole "Golden age of Mankind" HAD to start somewhere, as well as man going into space in the first place. We got it in Star Trek, let's see it happen in Doctor Who.

And showing people aware and open to the idea of alien life will be very refreshing and not having them panicking or even downright CRYING (I'm talking to you, Smith and Jones) when anything remotely different happens in their little, comfortable world of mobile phones and bake sales; since back in September, there WAS a huge UFO sighting in Manhattan, witnessed by thousands, and NO ONE was panicking or crying.....everyone was, in fact, thrilled and hopeful at what they saw. So let's show people in NuWho to finally display intelligence, rather than being of the brainless, American Idol, Sunday Football and Dancing with the Stars bottom feeders that the Tenth Doctor era showed....like anyone in the RTD era UK public, and any of Sarah Jane's neighbors, or that one IRRITATING girl in the Bubble Shock pilot episode.....those are what I call the "Bottom Feeders". I feel sorry for poor Wilfred.....having to live with all those folks around him.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:00 pm

I don't know how well telling the world of aliens would actually go over. 90% of the aliens that have made contact with Earth have been despotic. I think that would would lead to a global panic. "We have made contact with intelligent life from outer space. The vast majority of it wants to conquer our planet and kill or enslave the populace. We really don't have any sophistacated menas of keeping them at bay. The nice aliens rarely come to visit. Um ... have a nice day." The only use would be for Orwellian War on Terror propaganda purposes telling people to obey draconian laws as the only way to keep them safe from alien invaders. That could actually make for an interesting story.
Back to top Go down
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:46 pm

But that 10% that is good, I think, makes it all worth while. When it comes to learning what's out there, to quote James Tiberius Kirk, "Risk IS the business!" And to quote Q, "

"Picard you are about to move into areas of the galaxy filled with wonders you cannot possibly imagine. And terrors to freeze your soul!"

"Why? Why, to give you a taste of your future, a preview of things to come. Con permiso, capitán? The hall is rented, the orchestra engaged. It's now time to see if you can dance. "

"Eighteen of our people have died. Please, tell us this is one of your illusions."
"Oh, no. This is as real as your so-called life gets.
"

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires, both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."

And even with the bad ones...what's better, let everyone be blissfully ignorant (and stupid) and suddenly find ships with guns blazing, or to tell everyone so no one needs to be taken by surprise. heck, people did not panic at the Manhattan sighting, and panic did not run rampant when the Trade Centers go down. The whole mass panic nonsense is soooooooo 1950's, man. Besides...I see it as this....first discovering of simple alien life, like bacteria, then ancient ruins (which are actually all over the Solar System right now), and finally intelligent life. Something like this is needed to give mankind a well needed, and long overdue, attitude adjuster and knock the arrogance out of us.

I doubt propaganda will work anymore, look how the so-called war on terror went....all we got is policy that made everyone only angry and frustrated. Pro-ported weapons of mass destruction, 3 open wars, an economy that's borderline depression and 200 some odd years of Constitutional rights pissed on.....I doubt another shot will work, even an alien one.....Reagen was full of s*it when he tried that in the 1980's. Fool us once, shame on you. Fool us twice, shame on us. That fat idiot Churchill already fooled us once, already.....we don't need anymore hiding the facts and truth for us, just to protect some overrated and undeserving groups of people who can't look away from their holy books......**** 'em, I say....especially since only a really, super small percentage can't handle the truth. Let them rot.

I HIGHLY doubt people would react like the Nu Who UK public, those ones just show what panic does, and keeping a cool, collected self pays off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:12 pm

But nobody important involved the in recent fearmongering was actually held to task. Even when called out on it, they served out the rest of their terms and weren't put on trial for abuses of power. So even when propaganda isn't as effective, it's still a shield of legitimacy. Politicians would absolutely feed on xenophobia, which even works when the strangers are your own species. It'd be more sustained than Ozymandias's masterplan.
While people would probably be excited about aliens to begin with, that'd wear off after the umpteenth invasion. Idealism doesn't last if there's nothing concrete to bolster it. If all the aliens that come to Earth want to blast us to atoms, I'm sure even the most ardent xenophiles would long for the days of isolation. This may be a failing of the writing that there are very few benevolent aliens that get involved with Earth affairs. It doesn't feel like humanity would ever begin colonizing other worlds without having strong ties with benign aliens. Seeing as how NASA can't get its act together even with billions in funding, Earth needs some alien trade partners just to show them how to do spacefaring right.
Back to top Go down
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Sun May 01, 2011 9:47 am

It's a TV show. Nothing to get worked up over.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com
The Castellan

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Sun May 01, 2011 9:40 pm

Evil Monkey Pope wrote:
But nobody important involved the in recent fearmongering was actually held to task. Even when called out on it, they served out the rest of their terms and weren't put on trial for abuses of power. So even when propaganda isn't as effective, it's still a shield of legitimacy. Politicians would absolutely feed on xenophobia, which even works when the strangers are your own species. It'd be more sustained than Ozymandias's masterplan.
While people would probably be excited about aliens to begin with, that'd wear off after the umpteenth invasion. Idealism doesn't last if there's nothing concrete to bolster it. If all the aliens that come to Earth want to blast us to atoms, I'm sure even the most ardent xenophiles would long for the days of isolation. This may be a failing of the writing that there are very few benevolent aliens that get involved with Earth affairs. It doesn't feel like humanity would ever begin colonizing other worlds without having strong ties with benign aliens. Seeing as how NASA can't get its act together even with billions in funding, Earth needs some alien trade partners just to show them how to do spacefaring right.

Take in mind that it's unlikely that every alien species out there wants to destroy us.

NASA's problem is that instead of going to the moon and Mars, like we should, all we do is put ships into orbit.....BORING......what's the reason for NOT going out there....and why other places like Inida and Iran and China, and so on want to go there? And why, was it only the MILITARY went last time, the Clementine mission was done by the department of defense, to map out the entire moon surface....and I always find it funny how we got tech that allows us to picture a pack of cigarettes from thousands of miles above, but such AWFUL lunar pictures?

Calixar, this can be applied to actual life as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Evil Monkey Pope

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Sun May 01, 2011 10:30 pm

Not all aliens are evil but almost every apecies that's publically exposed has been. The Doctor admitted to Nixon that there are numerous dangerous aliens out there(probably cementing the US policy on aliens). Even the relatively benign Adipose inadvertantly harmed lots of people in there repopulation scheme. The Judoon think human life comes secondary to performing their law enforcement duties. I'm blanking on any benelovent aliens that the contemporary populace is aware of. With the pattern on the show, most people would probably greet the next alien appearance with "Bloody heck! Not again!" rather than "Maybe this time they won't want to subjugate us!"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, how did they face the music?   Today at 10:33 am

Back to top Go down

So, how did they face the music?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Doctor Who Discussion-
Jump to: