Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

S6E2: The Day of the Moon

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Rate S6E2: Day of the Moon
Fantastic, Brilliant, Molto Benne!
65%
 65% [ 24 ]
Okay, Average, 50/50
27%
 27% [ 10 ]
Terrible, rubbish, c'était nul!
8%
 8% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 37

AuthorMessage
MatthewRex

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:16 pm

Scarywood wrote:
MatthewRex wrote:
Holy crap. What an episode. I will admit that the "solution" to The Silence was a tad confusing to me and I'm still not really sure what happened exactly… However, it was still a great 2 parter with tons of twists and turns.

And:

Spoiler:

She isn't dreading her end, she never said that. She said in The Impossible Astronaut that she wasn't dreading neither hers or the Doctors deaths and that there was in fact a much worse day coming, and that day is when the Doctor doesn't remember her.

I guess that's kind of what I mean…based on the knowledge we have, the the day the Doctor doesn't remember her is the day she dies. They're kind of synonymous. But I suppose you're right, because she doesn't know that.

Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.matthewrex.com
Scary

Number of posts : 7476
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:25 pm

Well we saw her go into the after life or whatever it was that she decended into. She met up with the rest of her friends who died with her so I'm assuming she doesn't regenerate.

I'm pretty sure that we've seen River's death, and thus I doubt we'll see her die in S6.

Anywho, I just realised.... We didn't find out why the Astronaut killed the Doctor, did we? And the others never told teh Doctor what happened and it hasn't been fixed yet. Does this mean taht the Doctor is still dead?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
MatthewRex

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 6:34 pm

Scarywood wrote:
Well we saw her go into the after life or whatever it was that she decended into. She met up with the rest of her friends who died with her so I'm assuming she doesn't regenerate.

I'm pretty sure that we've seen River's death, and thus I doubt we'll see her die in S6.

That's riiiightttt. Well that doesn't make a ton of sense to me then.

Scarywood wrote:
Anywho, I just realised.... We didn't find out why the Astronaut killed the Doctor, did we? And the others never told teh Doctor what happened and it hasn't been fixed yet. Does this mean taht the Doctor is still dead?

No, we didn't. I suppose they went back and defeated The Silence, disassembled the suit, etc, so I'm not sure. I hope we get a definite answer.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.matthewrex.com

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Great episode, creepy, etc.

I think the little girl is.....
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
neogeo

Number of posts : 2159
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:51 pm

Scarywood wrote:

You mean when CAL uploaded River's consciousness to the Moon HD? I took it to indicate her body had "died" but her consciousness went on, stored in the computer. To be honest, I've been pondering whether or not her consciousness, or those of Miss Evangelista & the others could be downloaded into a cloned or manufactured bodies, or whether she& the others would "grow old" living synthetic lives within the computer's world?

As for E2, I have 70 minutes before air time here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:11 pm

I...this...yeah...wow.

Kinda a crazy episode. Also slightly horrifying in its resolution, but then again we've never seen Matt Smith's Doctor's darker side and it's easy to forget this is the same Doctor that drowned Racnoss Babies and executed the Time Lords and Daleks.

I can't tell you how relieved I am that the whole "Amy loves the Doctor" potential plot was a total red herring. I really didn't want to go through another love sick companion arc.

Still leaves more questions then it answers, but it'll be interesting to know where this all ends up.

Also, anyone else find that "Silence Hidey Hole" to be a precursor to the Pandorica?

Also Also: After remarking on the Lodger TARDIS and its familiarity, there was something else I noticed. The Doctor remarked to the Silence that they were "out of time". So the Silence aren't from Earth's current time period at all.

And Time Lord Child wandering around New York. There's implications there.

Overall though, I voted 50/50, it did alright but at the same time it generated more questions then it answered, especially Eye Patch Lady.

Quote :
Anywho, I just realised.... We didn't find out why the Astronaut killed
the Doctor, did we? And the others never told teh Doctor what happened
and it hasn't been fixed yet. Does this mean taht the Doctor is still
dead?

No, but we did get some insight into the Astronaut...
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DoctorOlly

Number of posts : 742
Registration date : 2007-09-01

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:04 pm

I enjoyed the episode; wasn't anything fantastic, but I liked it. Especially the orphanage scenes, very creepy and Scooby Doo-esque.

Many answers that need clearing up.

I suspect Eye-Patch-Lady and the Silence will be back later in the series.

And I loved the cliffhanger! Very cruel way to finish the episode, no doubt the Moff will make us wait till the series finale to find out what happens (or possibly the mid-series finale.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
artanyus

Number of posts : 1513
Registration date : 2010-03-14

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:39 pm

Rust wrote:
Also Also: After remarking on the Lodger TARDIS and its familiarity, there was something else I noticed. The Doctor remarked to the Silence that they were "out of time". So the Silence aren't from Earth's current time period at all.

Quote :
Anywho, I just realised.... We didn't find out why the Astronaut killed
the Doctor, did we? And the others never told teh Doctor what happened
and it hasn't been fixed yet. Does this mean taht the Doctor is still
dead?

No, but we did get some insight into the Astronaut...
Spoiler:

That is true, and while we saw another TARDIS like the one in The Lodger we still don't know who they belong to, or how many more are in existence. The Silence might have been using the one we saw here, but was it truly theirs or just an abandoned one they found, like the one in The Lodger?

Spoiler:

Overall I enjoyed the episode. I thought it was good, but not fantastic. It is still much better than series 5 in many respects and I am looking forward to seeing how things play out in this series.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:04 pm

I really enjoyed this episode. I do wonder how some kids will keep up. I'm not sure I could have! But beyond the clever aliens and the fun resolution, there were some really great character moments.

So far, I feel like Amy is finally the character I wanted her to be last series. I always liked her, but she did have a few annoying tendencies. I feel like she's a much stronger character already this year.

And that ending... wow.... its' going to be a long year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmlextreme

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:10 pm

i think Holy Freaking Bleep Covers it

David Tennant Who????????? lol

WOW Still in Shock here.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:32 pm

jonwes wrote:
I really enjoyed this episode. I do wonder how some kids will keep up. I'm not sure I could have!

By the orphanage scene, I'm pretty sure every kid was too busy trying to burrow underneath their couches to be bothered to keep up with the plot. Laughing

Seriously: Nightmare. Fuel.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
timewarrior

Number of posts : 3946
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Sweet zombie jesus! My mind, what's left of it, is blown! Moffat is indeed playing up nearly every possible trick with a time travel show possible! Already we've seen so many paradoxes! And the hints from the last season that are seeping into this season! Man! So many unanswered questions. . .but first. . .in regards to the river song death thing. . .

Spoiler:

But in spite this we do know of one other meeting between River Song and the doctor. . .just before the silence in the Library episodes. . .we know he met her. . .that he knew it was almost time and took her out for one last adventure! Then he gave her his sonic screwdriver in hopes of saving her. . . So perhaps there will be some other adventures in the far future with other doctors? who knows. . .

Now for my questions. . . .which I am sure will be addressed through this season!

Spoiler:

The Pandorica Opens. . .and then Silence will Fall. . .I can only imagine what is going to happen after that. . .The sheer interconnectedness of these past two seasons is amazing! You just have to watch it all in a row over and over again to see it!

Can't wait until next week. . .

Dear Lord. . .can't wait. . .need time machine. . .
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:46 pm

I just wish the actor that played Nixon looked a little bit more like him.
Back to top Go down
timewarrior

Number of posts : 3946
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:47 pm

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
Sort of sounded like him didn't it?
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:49 pm

timewarrior wrote:
Whoosier Whovian wrote:
Sort of sounded like him didn't it?

To me it did. Smile
Back to top Go down
rmlextreme

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:22 pm

Tricky Dick not one of the bright Spots of History. So they ran a show after Episode 2
Doctor Who in America where if you missed episode 2. Warning there are a ton of spoilers.

darn it Itunes Load it already!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmlextreme

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:30 pm

Spoilers

My Theory......

Amy had a picture of her and her daughter. If you remember that peter pan movie. Peter fell in love with wendys Daughter.

I think River is Amy and Rorys Daughter. with a little doc dna

now my head hurts from all the plots Ouchie
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sun May 01, 2011 12:36 am

Loved these two episodes! The Silents are definitely the creepiest aliens I've seen on DW in a LONG time, like Weeping Angel creepy and that's saying a lot.

It was a great conclusion, but ultimately raised even MORE questions than were answered. (I mean that in a good way).

The Silents have been on earth for thousands of years manipulating human accomplishments to their own ends, I highly doubt we've seen the last of them.

They have a TARDIS similar to if not THE same one that was cloaked over Craig Owens flat in The Lodger, I have to wonder if they're in some way associated with or some kind of offshoot of the Timelords.

While it's not really a theory rather than an observation, I found it interesting that The Silent that Delaware shot was bandaged around it's midsection and appeared to be dying. The little girl we see at the end is clutching her midsection, says she is dying and then..

Spoiler:

Also one of The Silents told Amy "You will break The Silents". (Moffat seems to dig playing with words like this) Meaning either she will be responsible for destroying them OR perhaps "break" as in releasing them upon the world/universe. What did they do to Amy in those "many days" they had her captive? Her "pregnancy" seems to phase in and out of existence, much like a Silent.

Little Girl = Amy + Rory + Doctor DNA + Silent tinkering = River? (although that would kind of make "The Kiss" at the end a big EWWWWW moment wouldn't it?)

There's just so much going on it's kind of a lot to process, but that's what I'm loving about all of this.

It's late, I'm rambling, good night!

Oh and, River? Badass....really!

WAIT! How did she know to shoot that Silent that was BEHIND her when she was talking to Rory?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sun May 01, 2011 1:11 am

What the heck? Much as I want to love this series opener, there seemed to be way too many questions left wide open. Like, why does the Doctor allow the complete genocide of the Silence? I mean, yeah, it's not like there was much of an alternative, but that's it.

On the other hand, it was very exciting, and the Moff BETTER answer some questions!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jonwes

Number of posts : 4623
Registration date : 2007-02-01

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sun May 01, 2011 2:39 am

There were a lot of questions left open, but most are meant to be explored throughout the season.

The funny thing about the Silents, I don't think he was actually allowing genocide. The point was to scare the Slients into leaving. Not for them to stay to be killed by the humans. He was trying to get them to leave and stay gone.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sun May 01, 2011 7:26 am

jaredofmo wrote:
Like, why does the Doctor allow the complete genocide of the Silence?

It's difficult to remember with Matt Smith's performance that this is the same Doctor who didn't hesitate to murder Racnoss Children, imprisoned the Family of Blood for eternity in a multitude of horrific ways, and less we forget was responsible for the total destruction of the Time Lord and Dalek races.

Though why is everyone speculating the child is River? If it was River, she would know what was going on as it was her past. Seeing as how she was in the dark as much as anyone, I don't think it is her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DacaZ

Number of posts : 418
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sun May 01, 2011 8:35 am

jaredofmo wrote:
What the heck? Much as I want to love this series opener, there seemed to be way too many questions left wide open. Like, why does the Doctor allow the complete genocide of the Silence? I mean, yeah, it's not like there was much of an alternative, but that's it.

On the other hand, it was very exciting, and the Moff BETTER answer some questions!

I came away thinking the same thing. I really did like this episode a lot, but I was hoping that this stuff wasn't going to span the entire Series 6 as it seems like it will. It's hard to come away with any firm opinions until the rest of the unanswered questions are wrapped up.

I liked the nodback to the TARDIS in the Loft. That little loose thread bothered me a lot.

I'm really intrigued by the regenerating girl.

My theories on who River is have pretty much been dispelled, so I'm back to really wondering what her story is going to be.

I LOVED the stuff between Rory and Amy. Especially where he thought she was talking about loving the Doctor but then got affirmation about her commitment to him. That whole sequence made her a much more likeable character for me.

I loved how they had to play the Presidential theme every time Nixon stepped onto screen. It was funny and kind of reminded me of the whole Harriet Jones, "Yes, I know who you are."

All in all, I was really unhappy with the first 10 minutes or so of Impossible Astronaut, but I liked it more and more as the ep went on and by the time Day of the Moon was over I was really satisfied with it as a two-parter.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.figurefanzero.com
denali76c

Number of posts : 132
Registration date : 2010-02-18

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sun May 01, 2011 8:54 am

jaredofmo wrote:
bret_owen99 wrote:
these are all my guesses, not spoilers. if i happen to be right, meh.

the spaceman who shot the doctor is really the doctor, while the doctor that he shot is a clone, and had to be killed.
Quite possibly. River says that a Time Lord's body is a miracle, and many would kill just to get a cell. So what if they did and manage to find a way to make a clone? (Maybe they hit into regeneration energy?)

if this is so and they got a hold of the doctor's dna and if the little girl is amy's daughter then she might be an experiment. they could have combined a human fetus with timelord genetic material and that's why she regenerated. if she is a hybrid that might be why the doctor couldn't pick up on it, since as he can sense other timelords.
what's disturbing is if the little girl is river and amy daughter then the doctor kinda made out with his daughter. and i don't think it's river in the spacesuit when he was killed. since she's already prison for the murder she committed she would have known it was her when she saw it go down with rory and amy.
i think it's the doctor in the spacesuit as well. if there's a clone doctor then he could have impregnated amy and not rory and that's why amy's child can regenerate. maybe the silent(s) erased amy's memory but she could still almost sense that the doctor is the father and that could be the reason she told him she was pregnant. plus there was that "why did you tell me talk" at the end of the episode that might support this.
only thing is why would a clone of the doctor invite everyone to witness his death if he was on the run. maybe it's the other way around and it's a clone doctor in the spacesuit. i'm thinking way too much about this.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9510
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sun May 01, 2011 9:07 am

I am beginning to think the girl is an experiment by the Silence, but it is who she will be that makes me wonder. The picture with Amy suggest that she is Amy's child, but the regeneration has shown she has Timelord DNA as well. Amy may have been pregnant, but no longer because the Silence removed the fetus to experiment on it, and the spacesuit is an artificial womb, protecting the child until it was strong enough to break out.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Calixar

Number of posts : 1216
Registration date : 2007-02-03

PostSubject: Re: S6E2: The Day of the Moon   Sun May 01, 2011 9:57 am

Spoiler:

denali76c wrote:
only thing is why would a clone of the doctor invite everyone to witness his death if he was on the run. maybe it's the other way around and it's a clone doctor in the spacesuit. i'm thinking way too much about this.

He understood that the body needed to be destroyed. somebody he could trust needed to do that.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mikaljohnson.com

S6E2: The Day of the Moon
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: