Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers
 
HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store

Share | 
 

 Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rocco
RANK: Brigadier


Number of posts : 313
Age : 20
Registration date : 2010-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6   Tue May 03, 2011 11:03 pm

Expectations: Great stories, lots of questions answered

Worries: River Song being a timelord would ruin this for me, More questions.

Guys don't worrie moffat already said there'd be no daleks this series
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cakejedi
RANK: UNIT Trooper


Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6   Tue May 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Wes Crayon wrote:
I've missed you, bret! I don't think I'm ever quite as down on episodes as you are, but I don't feel like such a downer when I'm not the only critical person awash in a sea of fan love. Wink

(But I'll still be watching, darnit.)

I am new here, but I am in the same camp as you two. Moffat's writing drives me crazy. The first two episodes of the season did not 'feel' like Dr Who to me. I am giving this season until the Neil Gaiman episode to recapture my interest. If not, there are plenty of Classic Who DVD's I can add to my collection to get my fill of WHO!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur
RANK: The Doctor


Number of posts : 9511
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6   Wed May 04, 2011 8:46 am

I, for one, love the thread stories spread through out the season! I love going back to see little clues placed through out the season. But it must be a planned thread, like was done on Babylon 5, not something you make up as you go along, like Lost. When the writers get themselves into a corner and have no idea how to get out of it, they usually do something lame and stupid. Moffat looks like he does have a plan, and I hope it is a good one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo
RANK: Time Lord President Elect


Number of posts : 6854
Age : 30
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6   Wed May 04, 2011 9:01 am

I liked that in Series 5, rather than a running meme, we had a plot that built through the series.

I can only hope Moffat's doing the same thing again and that he answers the new questions soon, because it's just too much.

And we thought the River Song mystery was driving us nuts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil
RANK: Keeper of Traken


Number of posts : 5984
Age : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6   Wed May 04, 2011 9:50 am

Moff has taken the fun out of watching the show for me. It now is too much work to keep up. I feel I have to keep notes. It's one thing to have a story arc that develops over the course of linear time with tiny clues dropped along the way as to where it might be leading. It's another thing in the first two episodes to overtly submit so many conundrums to keep track of - not including the leftover ones from previous seasons. Here's a list of all the questions that I can think of right off:

1. Who is River?
2. Who did she kill?
3. Who is the astronaut?
4. Who is the eyepatch girl Amy saw in the orphanage?
5. Why did this girl have a picture of Amy?
6. Is Amy pregnant? Even the scanner can't tell.
7. Is the Doctor really dead?
8. Who is the little girl?
9. How can she regenerate?
10. How did the Doctor know he was gonna be killed by the astronaut?
11. Why is the astronaut from 1969 in 2011 anyhow?


Did I miss anything? Jeez. This is no longer fun. Babylon 5 , nor any other program I have ever watched - and enjoyed - was never this complicated with so many questions at once.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary
RANK: Time Lord President


Number of posts : 7476
Age : 19
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6   Wed May 04, 2011 9:55 am

SeaDevil wrote:
Moff has taken the fun out of watching the show for me. It now is too much work to keep up. I feel I have to keep notes. It's one thing to have a story arc that develops over the course of linear time with tiny clues dropped along the way as to where it might be leading. It's another thing in the first two episodes to overtly submit so many conundrums to keep track of - not including the leftover ones from previous seasons. Here's a list of all the questions that I can think of right off:

1. Who is River?
2. Who did she kill?
3. Who is the astronaut?
4. Who is the eyepatch girl Amy saw in the orphanage?
5. Why did this girl have a picture of Amy?
6. Is Amy pregnant? Even the scanner can't tell.
7. Is the Doctor really dead?
8. Who is the little girl?
9. How can she regenerate?
10. How did the Doctor know he was gonna be killed by the astronaut?
11. Why is the astronaut from 1969 in 2011 anyhow?


Did I miss anything? Jeez. This is no longer fun. Babylon 5 , nor any other program I have ever watched - and enjoyed - was never this complicated with so many questions at once.


I completely agree with you. He probably see's it as 'exciting to wonder what the answers are,' but for me it's just frustrating since non of it makes sense at all.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur
RANK: The Doctor


Number of posts : 9511
Age : 53
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6   Wed May 04, 2011 10:09 am

I just prefer to see every episode as a chapter in an on going story. I just hope the end makes sense! And the Doctor doesn't start glowing and hovering above the Master.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil
RANK: Keeper of Traken


Number of posts : 5984
Age : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6   Wed May 04, 2011 10:19 am

Chapters are a good way of describing what I mean, Ron. Babylon 5, DS9 and the like unfolded like chapters. This is like reading the last chapter first and then reading the rest of the book out of order to figure out the end, rather than reading it start to finish and experience the story as it unfolds.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary
RANK: Time Lord President


Number of posts : 7476
Age : 19
Registration date : 2010-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6   Wed May 04, 2011 11:06 am

SeaDevil wrote:
Chapters are a good way of describing what I mean, Ron. Babylon 5, DS9 and the like unfolded like chapters. This is like reading the last chapter first and then reading the rest of the book out of order to figure out the end, rather than reading it start to finish and experience the story as it unfolds.

Hmm, a bit like the Star Wars Saga!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SeaDevil
RANK: Keeper of Traken


Number of posts : 5984
Age : 50
Registration date : 2009-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6   Wed May 04, 2011 11:52 am

Scarywood wrote:
SeaDevil wrote:
Chapters are a good way of describing what I mean, Ron. Babylon 5, DS9 and the like unfolded like chapters. This is like reading the last chapter first and then reading the rest of the book out of order to figure out the end, rather than reading it start to finish and experience the story as it unfolds.

Hmm, a bit like the Star Wars Saga!


Haha! it kinda is! Laughing
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust
RANK: Time Lord Commoner


Number of posts : 1557
Age : 33
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6   Wed May 04, 2011 6:00 pm

I agree on the heels of the Pandorica storyline another Timey Wimey jaunt is a bit much. One thing I really liked about Season 5 was they were self contained stories that came together at the end. This season is a lot more involved, and I do wonder if it's not getting too cute, especially with the Mid-Season Break to take into account.

We'll see, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6   Today at 1:23 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Hopes / Expectations / Worries for Series 6
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Who North America Forum :: Doctor Who Fan Section :: Episode Discussion-
Jump to: