Doctor Who Discussion Forum for Who North America customers

HomeFAQSearchRegisterMemberlistUsergroupsLog inThe Who North America Online Store
Share | 

Liz Sladen: RIP

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:10 pm

More tributes from around the Interwebs:

"It might sound crass but I don't want Miss Sladen to rest in peace, I want her to run down the corridors of my memories, scramble over the quarries of my mind and continue to explore time and space for every teatime in eternity." poofta1970 on IMDb

Another poster on IMDb fondly recalled this scene on "Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em":

"I'm so sorry to have to say I've just had a call to say Liz Sladen has died. It's too much to take in, but it's true. How tragically young." - Nicola Bryant on Twitter

"Very sad to hear of the death of Lis Sladen. Great sympathy for her husband and daughter. She was far too young to be lost to them." - Colin Baker on Twitter
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spacetimegeek

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:41 pm

I just cant believe it. First the Brig now this. I'm just in shock...utter shock. All my sympathy to her family and friends. Such warmth and love for her and the role she played. It just saddens me. She will be so, so missed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:47 pm

When I read this news while at work I was sad. Now once I'm home and reading the tributes around the web, I get a lump in my throat and teary eyed. I had no idea she was battling cancer. It was the Sarah Jane and 4th Doctor combo that introduced me to WHO and has always been my favorite Doctor/companion line up. Elisabeth was an excellent actress and I will forever be grateful for her contribution to the world of WHO. Now I am off to watch some WHO featuring Sarah Jane.
Back to top Go down
Medic1849

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:58 pm

As with many of the others on the board, I am in utter shock.

She and Tom were my first intro to Doctor Who many, many years ago. My friends and I played "Doctor Who" when we were kids - we were always The Doctor, Harry and Sarah.

RIP. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
dave

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2007-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:45 pm

Ugh I'm so utterly saddened by the loss of Lis Sladen. She was my first companion when I started watching Doctor Who 27 years ago. I'll never forget her!!!!!!!!

Sick to my heart. The big C took both my parents and now my favorite Doctor Who companion. Cancer sucks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

Number of posts : 9504
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:28 pm

I have taken some time to digest this since I first read it. But, I still don't know what to say. I am at a loss here. So sudden, because she kept her illness private, it is a huge shock. But, I am so sad to lose whatever future adventures we would have had with Sarah Jane now. No chance of seeing Benton, Yates or even Liz Shaw on her show. No more Clyde and Rani and K9, calling "Mistress". I don't want to compare the loss of Nic to Lis, but with him, in his 80s, and we knew he was ill, but 63? This is just horrible.........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Clavius

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2007-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:33 pm

Just found out about this moments ago and I'm shell-shocked.

She was so youthful and vital. I found it hard to believe she was 63. Still, FAR to young to be taken like this.

Hope Sarah is giving the Brigadier a big hug right now.

Back to top Go down
View user profile

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:51 pm

I can't watch Doctor Who anymore. It is all just too painful and makes me feel terrible.
Back to top Go down
hitman hart

Number of posts : 1150
Registration date : 2009-01-24

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:08 am

Whoosier Whovian wrote:
I can't watch Doctor Who anymore. It is all just too painful and makes me feel terrible.

dont feel that way whoosier, they will live on in their stories and they i'm sure would want you to remember the good times. this blows me away, i just came to check my facebook and someone posted this to me. it may sound silly but i was three when john lennon died and the beatles are my favorite band, and i still get sad that john is dead and now george too, but they will live forever in the art they gave us, as well as our fallen who hero's. she will be missed, she was easily my favorite companion. long live sara jane smith. i'm honestly still so numb from nic's death i'm having a hard time being emotional right now.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rust

Number of posts : 1557
Registration date : 2010-06-26

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:41 am

Whoosier Whovian wrote:

I'm fairly certain Liz Sladen would be the first one to say that's silly. While it is heartbreaking to lose Sarah Jane moving forward, she's not gone forever. She's still there, immortalized in her run on Doctor Who as well as her own spin off show.

Deforrest Kelly and James Doohan are both gone, but that doesn't prevent me from still enjoying Star Trek.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pjr

Number of posts : 590
Registration date : 2007-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:00 am

This is a heartbreaking shock. I first saw Lis in The Sontaran Experiment when I was 14 and instantly fell in
love with her. A wonderful actress and true Lady. She will be missed greatly. The thought of watching Doctor Who with her now makes me sad. I never would have believed that could happen. My thoughts and prayers to her husband Brian and daughter Sadie.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Cruel Angel

Number of posts : 5856
Registration date : 2009-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:28 am

Rust wrote:
Whoosier Whovian wrote:

I'm fairly certain Liz Sladen would be the first one to say that's silly. While it is heartbreaking to lose Sarah Jane moving forward, she's not gone forever. She's still there, immortalized in her run on Doctor Who as well as her own spin off show.

Deforrest Kelly and James Doohan are both gone, but that doesn't prevent me from still enjoying Star Trek.

Well said cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
johnmiic

Number of posts : 84
Registration date : 2007-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:41 am

Great actress. Lets not forget her.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://johnmiic.deviantart.com/gallery/
cyberwoman

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:53 am

ogron wrote:
very sad... Nic, now Liz... who next Tom?

NO!Don't even say that!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cyberwoman

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2010-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:06 am

Scarywood wrote:
I guess we should be happy. She's in a much better place now, along with Nick, Pertwee and Delgado and everyone else - she'll be much happier now and free of her cancer. Smile
Yeah at least she's much better in heaven and you never know she is probally looking down at all of us thinking"Such good fans but why are they crying?"Anyway,when Scary told I said"You've got to be kiddin'?"and he said that it's the truth now I am soo devestated Crying or Very sad.

RIP Liz Crying or Very sad!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:06 am

I woke up this morning, with my Sarah Jane action figure at my bedside, hoping it was all a bad dream. But no, it is real, and Lis is really gone. No more Sarah Jane. It was amazing that she looked so young when she returned to TV in 2006, and she will remain forever that young and beautiful in our hearts, never aging, loved forever.

It is great to see all of the tributes here. She was so loved and will be so missed. I feel so bad for all of the parents who have to tell their kids about her death.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
spacetimegeek

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2007-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:27 am

I watched School Reunion last night and at the end I am not ashamed to say I teared up and cried. To think that someone I never met or had any dealings with can still touch you like that. I'm still sad about it all. I know this Saturday watching the new series of Who will be bitter sweet. I don't know if they have time, but it would be a nice gesture to have the first episode dedicated to Sarah and Nicholas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:31 am

This is from Tom's website. He truly is an amazing man:

Lis Sladen
1948 - 2011

Sarah Jane dead? No, impossible! Impossible. Only last week I agreed to do six new audio adventures with her for Big Finish Productions.

She can't be dead. But she is: she died yesterday morning. Cancer. I had no idea she was ill; she was so private, never wanted any fuss, and now, gone. A terrible blow to her friends and a shattering blow for all those fans of the programme whose lives were touched every Saturday evening by her lovely heroic character, Sarah-Jane Smith.

Lis Sladen was very important to me, you know. When I joined the little world of Doctor Who, Lis was already a star. She had an enormous success with Jon Pertwee. She was good pals with the Brigadier, our beloved Nicholas Courtney; she knew all the regular directors. She was adored by Barry Letts, the producer who cast her in the role. She always said she was Barry's girl. It was for that reason she decided to leave the show. But it was not necessary at all. The fans adored her, Philip Hinchcliffe, our new and glamorous producer, adored her, so did David Maloney, her favourite director.

Terry Walsh, the regular stunt man adored her. Once in deep, dark Wooky Hole caves Lis was almost swept away in a small boat, fifty feet from a terrifying black hole that looked like the entrance to heck. In a flash Terry Walsh dived in and caught the boat and all was well, thanks to the devotion of Terry. Lis was safe and and the show could go on.

So when I replaced Jon Pertwee, it must have been an anxious time for Lis; it was a very anxious time for me. Following in the big footsteps of Jon was daunting. Tom Baker? Never heard of him. And so we started on the first story under Barry Letts as director. We did the location stuff first and I just obeyed orders; running about, with the Brigadier and that silly car Bessie Trotwood, I think it was called: too small for me, but also in its own way a "character". Jon loved cars.

But back in the rehearsal room things were quieter and there was time to put in little details, time for Lis and me to get acquainted, time for me to try and make a little mark, so to speak. And Lis laughed at my silly antics; yes, she did, she laughed me to success. We both came from Liverpool, that small detail helped. We both loved old movies. And quite suddenly Lis and Ian Marter and Tom Baker were a trio. It is so consoling when one is sad and bereft to remember the good times, the laughter, the glamour; yes, the glamour: we three switched on the lights at Blackpool! A very great honour. We performed a little melodrama directed by (guess who?) yes, David Maloney! And now Lis was adored by Ian Marter and Tom Baker too.

And it never ceased. And in the evenings Lis, would simply disappear back to wherever we were staying and the rest of us would often be raucous! And too soon she decided to leave; no fuss at all, all was calm. And Philip Hinchcliffe gave her lovely farewell party at the Hilton. Those sweet memories of happy days with Lis Sladen, the lovely, witty, kind and so talented Lis Sladen. I am consoled by the memories. I was there, I knew her, she was good to me and I shall always be grateful, and I shall miss her.

http://www.tom-baker.co.uk/pages/content/index.asp?PageID=159

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gunny

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2010-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:41 am

Very sad news she was truly a wonderful actress and from all of what I have read an even better person.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:07 am

Tributes from 3 Doctors:

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/04/doctors-pay-tribute.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rmlextreme

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2008-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:09 am

I didnt see this thread

She will be missed. I loved when her and Billy Piper had the spat in School Reunion

The Mrs and the Ex lol

They will probably dedicate an episode to her in the credits this season
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jaredofmo

Number of posts : 6854
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:25 am

Blogtor Who has an entry on her here: http://blogtorwho.blogspot.com/2011/04/elisabeth-sladen-tributes.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lior_Knight

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:01 pm

In honor of Elisabeth Sladen I've decided to donate 100% of the final sale price of each R2 DVD set I've leasted earlier this week to support Cancer research:

http://whona.realtvboard.com/t5520-fs-ebay-dvds-classic-dr-who-sja-heroes-btvs-r1-2

Might not be much but every bit helps so if you can help out it would be also appreciated.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ronpur

PostSubject: Re: Liz Sladen: RIP   Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:10 pm

Found this sketch on line.

Warning: It will make you cry.....

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Scary

Number of posts : 7474